BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Mounting a Go Pro Camera

12K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Johnstoneturbo 
#1 ·
I own a 2016 1200RT. Not sure how to mount a Go Pro. How is everyone else mounting yours

#2 ·
Interested in what interesting ways other people might be doing this too.

I personally like having mine mounted to my chin as it gets everything you are looking at. A lot of people will also use the chesty mount which gives a good stable view of your bars/dash and a shot through your shield if you like that type of view. There is also a "bracket", you take out the two bottom screws of your windshild, but this bracket there and put the screws back on. Then you just mount the go pro right onto your windshield... Other options could be to use a suction mount on the side fairings, top/side of the side cases, or you could just stick it to your windshield. I don't believe the 2016 really has a good level spot on the tank to use the suction mount.

#3 ·
I have a K16 (joined this site cause I am considering a R1250RT next year), anyway, I have several mounting points:

1. On the windscreen, Wunderlich do a mount, its expensive and you can find it in Nippy Normans.
2. Right handlebar, RAM mount, this give me the option of swiveling the camera forward or backwards.
3. GoPro sucker mount (with teather) on fairing.
4. GoPro Jaws mount which allows me to move the Gopro around the bike.
5. Ram mount on engine protector.

Sample of video from last year is here:

https://vimeo.com/298768446

#4 ·
I used to mount a GoPro that I had in front of the windshield, on the left hand side, using a suction cup mount, on my prior '07 RT. Couldn't do that on the wethead RT because of the new shapes does not provide a suitable location. However, I later found that, for me, it is better to have my camera mounted on my helmet. This way, as others have mentioned, I can get video (or stills) of wherever I look. Also went away from using GoPro, and I am now using the Sony FDR-X3000 which has 4k video capability along with excellent optical stabilizer.

Looking back on the video that I had taken over the years, I now find that the footage of the bike-mounted video is not interesting at all, as compared to the helmet mount footage of the recent years! Just an IMHO! :)

Reactions: jkersh1 and gerhard
#5 ·
For me & my GoPro, I couldn't justify the $200+ (CAD) for the GuardConcept/Wunderlich mount, so I made my own...

All in, less than $30 for some flat aluminum bar stock (enough for 3), a tripod mount for the GoPro, longer bolts, washers and spacers. I had some black Tremclad paint from a previous project, so I hit it with that.

Attachments

#6 ·
I have used a mount under the left side mirror (so the camera ends up close to the fairing with a slight bit of the bike in frame), as well as on my Ilium Works front crash bars (too close to the road IMO).

The best vids that I've taken are from the helmet. I put a mount on top of my Shoei Neotec and those came out ok, but the perspective was a bit high. As others have said, I really think that something at or around chin level would be best.

On naked bikes something like the fuel tank or handlebars can work pretty well, but on the RT there is way too much stuff in the way for that.

#7 ·
A friend of mine uses a 360° camera mounted on his helmet. It's an expensive camera but wow. The results are unbelievable.
No other camera comes close to what that camera does. Mostly the image is stable and you can look around and decide what you want to look at.
For the video creator, you can edit and chose whatever view you want to show, forward, backward, follow the rider's line of sight.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/562010

#8 · (Edited)
I have used 3 positions:

1. Suction mount in the middle/bottom of the windscreen. It does vibrate a little at high speed, and also changes the point of focus(?) if you move the screen up or down;

2. Ram mount on the left clutch lever mount. Nice and stable, but the screen cuts part way through the shot;

3. Bar mount on the right crash bar (Ilium Works). My choice. I thought it would be too close to the ground, but it seems to work well. I use the Gopro on wide (not extra-wide) and only get a small portion of the front wheel in the left of frame.

I haven't used my helmet mount (yet), as the legality of its use is contentious in some states of Australia. The disadvantage I see there is I move my head around quite a lot when doing safety scans, so I reckon that would make the footage useless.

I have a chest mount, which I used walking around NYC on my last U.S. visit. Haven't tried it on the bike, but I think it would be a good option.

#9 · (Edited)
I have mine mounted on the GoPro bar mount but you need Illium risers. I have the GoPro 6 and stabilization is great, no shaking. I like it there because I can reach it to turn it on and off and it's not out in the elements. This is the view I have but it's adjustable and can be rotated towards or away from you. Not a pro, I just take occasional videos while riding.

Attachments

#12 ·
I had a Garmin Virb (not the 360) and when changing camera looked at the Gopro 360, however, these things are disk eaters and processor hungry when editing so I shied away from them.

#13 ·
After having my XD4 for almost 4yrs I finally put a GoPro mount on my chin. I've absolutely hated not having one, finally got off my butt and got it done last night. First time I've played with Sugru, its slightly high on the right side but outside of that its fairly level lol

Going to throw the camera on it tonight since I had to wait for it to cure. Hopefully the camera angle will be alright given its not perfect.

Attachments

#14 ·
Sugru worked fairly well. I might of had a little too much on it, used 3 packs where most use 2, so it required me working it a little more to make it look good. At some point when I was trying to mold the left side I raised up the mount (to much product) so the left side is a smidge higher than the right. Outside of that I think it turned out really really well. I'd just recommend to REALLY inspect the mount good to make sure its level. I was checking every aspect of it except the X axis...

You can remove this stuff with some elbow work, so I "could" re do it, but I'm happy with what I have. I mostly use the video as a dashcam anyways. Oh ya.. and if you are wondering, a XL XD4 with a GoPro on the chin really does not fit will in the side cases lol It fits, but you really have to mess with it.

#16 ·
I have my Hero 7 mounted on the right side of my helmet. I like it in that spot because I can easily turn it on and off so it doesn’t have to run constantly and drain the battery. If I’m in a boring spot I’ll turn it off knowing I’ll never use that footage. Or if I am in traffics I’ll turn it on. I do see a fair amount of the windscreen but that can be edited by zooming in on the screen. I’ve tried the ram mount on the handlebars but don’t like the view showing so much of the cluster. I’ve also tried suction cup mount to the windscreen and facing backward on the side case. Again, not my preference. I like to be able to Point the camera by turning my heard if I want a good shot of something.

#17 ·
I have mine mounted on the front wind screen with a mount that goes across. Picks up some vibrations from the bike but usually use it for time lapse shots anyway.
Also have a mount behind the wind screen on a shelf over the body work but need to watch when I turn the bike off as the screen will come down on top of it.
Final spot is on top on my helmet which gives nice shots all round where as the other two only show straight ahead.

#23 ·
I just have the standard GoPro 3M base attached right to the bottom of my windscreen. Has worked out great. I have another attached to my rear left pannier. Shot and video attached.

I like the position of this mount so nothing on the bike gets in the way. I was thinking about a ram suction mount on the lower outside part of the windscreen. I’m just not sure if the surface is flat enough to provide a secure suction point.

#20 ·
Hello. I ordered a couple of custom made bolts and customized RAM MOUNT balls for left clutch lever and the right side brake reservoir. I also order a custom bolt that will replace the left handle bar bracket upper bolt and thus install my remote for the go pro. NORMSKI on YouTube makes them in the UK. I am just waiting for them to come to be delivered to Alberta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.