7Likes
  • 3 Post By DavidMcK
  • 1 Post By PadG
  • 2 Post By Qball-16
  • 1 Post By Pabst
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Unread May 10th, 2019, 12:14 am Thread Starter

Mounting a Go Pro Camera

I own a 2016 1200RT. Not sure how to mount a Go Pro. How is everyone else mounting yours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Unread May 10th, 2019, 2:32 am

Re: Mounting a Go Pro Camera

Interested in what interesting ways other people might be doing this too.

I personally like having mine mounted to my chin as it gets everything you are looking at. A lot of people will also use the chesty mount which gives a good stable view of your bars/dash and a shot through your shield if you like that type of view. There is also a "bracket", you take out the two bottom screws of your windshild, but this bracket there and put the screws back on. Then you just mount the go pro right onto your windshield... Other options could be to use a suction mount on the side fairings, top/side of the side cases, or you could just stick it to your windshield. I don't believe the 2016 really has a good level spot on the tank to use the suction mount.
post #3 of 15 Unread May 10th, 2019, 4:07 am

I have a K16 (joined this site cause I am considering a R1250RT next year), anyway, I have several mounting points:

1. On the windscreen, Wunderlich do a mount, its expensive and you can find it in Nippy Normans.
2. Right handlebar, RAM mount, this give me the option of swiveling the camera forward or backwards.
3. GoPro sucker mount (with teather) on fairing.
4. GoPro Jaws mount which allows me to move the Gopro around the bike.
5. Ram mount on engine protector.

Sample of video from last year is here:

kd_boston, gerhard and Kabish like this.

post #4 of 15 Unread May 10th, 2019, 7:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

I used to mount a GoPro that I had in front of the windshield, on the left hand side, using a suction cup mount, on my prior '07 RT. Couldn't do that on the wethead RT because of the new shapes does not provide a suitable location. However, I later found that, for me, it is better to have my camera mounted on my helmet. This way, as others have mentioned, I can get video (or stills) of wherever I look. Also went away from using GoPro, and I am now using the Sony FDR-X3000 which has 4k video capability along with excellent optical stabilizer.

Looking back on the video that I had taken over the years, I now find that the footage of the bike-mounted video is not interesting at all, as compared to the helmet mount footage of the recent years! Just an IMHO!
gerhard likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 15 Unread May 10th, 2019, 8:39 am

Garage

For me & my GoPro, I couldn't justify the $200+ (CAD) for the GuardConcept/Wunderlich mount, so I made my own...

All in, less than $30 for some flat aluminum bar stock (enough for 3), a tripod mount for the GoPro, longer bolts, washers and spacers. I had some black Tremclad paint from a previous project, so I hit it with that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GuardConcept.png
Views:	30
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	151499   Click image for larger version

Name:	MOUNT.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	854.7 KB
ID:	151501  
LAF and kd_boston like this.

2006 BMW R1200RT
1999 Yamaha VStar 650
post #6 of 15 Unread May 10th, 2019, 9:56 am

Garage

I have used a mount under the left side mirror (so the camera ends up close to the fairing with a slight bit of the bike in frame), as well as on my Ilium Works front crash bars (too close to the road IMO).

The best vids that I've taken are from the helmet. I put a mount on top of my Shoei Neotec and those came out ok, but the perspective was a bit high. As others have said, I really think that something at or around chin level would be best.

On naked bikes something like the fuel tank or handlebars can work pretty well, but on the RT there is way too much stuff in the way for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 R1200RT
2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
1987 K100RS (12/2015 - 12/2016)
1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)
post #7 of 15 Unread May 10th, 2019, 1:48 pm

A friend of mine uses a 360 camera mounted on his helmet. It's an expensive camera but wow. The results are unbelievable.
No other camera comes close to what that camera does. Mostly the image is stable and you can look around and decide what you want to look at.
For the video creator, you can edit and chose whatever view you want to show, forward, backward, follow the rider's line of sight.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/562010

Ride safe!
post #8 of 15 Unread May 10th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Red face Re: Mounting a Go Pro Camera

I have used 3 positions:

1. Suction mount in the middle/bottom of the windscreen. It does vibrate a little at high speed, and also changes the point of focus(?) if you move the screen up or down;

2. Ram mount on the left clutch lever mount. Nice and stable, but the screen cuts part way through the shot;

3. Bar mount on the right crash bar (Ilium Works). My choice. I thought it would be too close to the ground, but it seems to work well. I use the Gopro on wide (not extra-wide) and only get a small portion of the front wheel in the left of frame.

I haven't used my helmet mount (yet), as the legality of its use is contentious in some states of Australia. The disadvantage I see there is I move my head around quite a lot when doing safety scans, so I reckon that would make the footage useless.

I have a chest mount, which I used walking around NYC on my last U.S. visit. Haven't tried it on the bike, but I think it would be a good option.

Nine out of five pilots are lysdexic.

Last edited by Ejetflyer; May 10th, 2019 at 5:32 pm.
post #9 of 15 Unread May 10th, 2019, 5:35 pm

I have mine mounted on the GoPro bar mount but you need Illium risers. I have the GoPro 6 and stabilization is great, no shaking. I like it there because I can reach it to turn it on and off and it's not out in the elements. This is the view I have but it's adjustable and can be rotated towards or away from you. Not a pro, I just take occasional videos while riding.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9854.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	151505   Click image for larger version

Name:	goprograb.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	593.7 KB
ID:	151507  
kd_boston likes this.

Last edited by Pabst; May 10th, 2019 at 7:05 pm. Reason: added picture
post #10 of 15 Unread May 10th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcK View Post

Sample of video from last year is here:

David it shows that you put a lot of effort and possess a lot of talent in editing the video.

Thanks for posting

Gerhard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 15 Unread May 10th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis B View Post
I own a 2016 1200RT. Not sure how to mount a Go Pro. How is everyone else mounting yours
If you have the shift-assist, then do what I do- just hold it in your hand.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #12 of 15 Unread May 14th, 2019, 3:44 am

I had a Garmin Virb (not the 360) and when changing camera looked at the Gopro 360, however, these things are disk eaters and processor hungry when editing so I shied away from them.
post #13 of 15 Unread May 14th, 2019, 2:38 pm

After having my XD4 for almost 4yrs I finally put a GoPro mount on my chin. I've absolutely hated not having one, finally got off my butt and got it done last night. First time I've played with Sugru, its slightly high on the right side but outside of that its fairly level lol

Going to throw the camera on it tonight since I had to wait for it to cure. Hopefully the camera angle will be alright given its not perfect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190513_191358.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	151583  
post #14 of 15 Unread Yesterday, 12:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabish View Post
After having my XD4 for almost 4yrs I finally put a GoPro mount on my chin. I've absolutely hated not having one, finally got off my butt and got it done last night. First time I've played with Sugru, its slightly high on the right side but outside of that its fairly level lol

Going to throw the camera on it tonight since I had to wait for it to cure. Hopefully the camera angle will be alright given its not perfect.
Sugru worked fairly well. I might of had a little too much on it, used 3 packs where most use 2, so it required me working it a little more to make it look good. At some point when I was trying to mold the left side I raised up the mount (to much product) so the left side is a smidge higher than the right. Outside of that I think it turned out really really well. I'd just recommend to REALLY inspect the mount good to make sure its level. I was checking every aspect of it except the X axis...

You can remove this stuff with some elbow work, so I "could" re do it, but I'm happy with what I have. I mostly use the video as a dashcam anyways. Oh ya.. and if you are wondering, a XL XD4 with a GoPro on the chin really does not fit will in the side cases lol It fits, but you really have to mess with it.

post #15 of 15 Unread Today, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabst View Post
I have mine mounted on the GoPro bar mount but you need Illium risers. I have the GoPro 6 and stabilization is great, no shaking. I like it there because I can reach it to turn it on and off and it's not out in the elements. This is the view I have but it's adjustable and can be rotated towards or away from you. Not a pro, I just take occasional videos while riding.
"Power Line Rd."
Name checks out.

Last edited by kd_boston; Today at 10:07 am. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in