BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  GSinNC 
#1 ·
Just installed a set of LEDrider LX3 2.3 lights.

For less than half the price you get similar performance - these go for $90 each.

Hope this helps somebody...

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Majority of the time, not all the time I suppose, but the "cheaper" lights have really bad "dirty" light and as they heat up they become unstable. They get the job done I suppose, but there are very valid reasons as to why they cost so much.. I'm not really sold on the crazy prices of Clearwaters, but other manufacturers like Denali or Baja Designs are well worth the quality you get.

They look really good on the bike, defiantly an option if you aren't looking for all the fancy CANopener or CANSmart integration.

#3 ·
Same here. Couldn't justify $400 for lights when there are so many other options out there. I bought a set of LEDs from an overseas retailer called Bangood (tee hee I know) for about $40, hooked up to my Hex EZCan and they work flawlessly. Has Cree LEDs in them, putting out about 3500 lumens at full power and they look good, got them mounted way down low on the fork ends using the pinch bolts.

#5 ·
#6 ·
$400+ lights, i cant justify them either.... but some of the cheaper lights that i have tried were dirty, dirty meaning the lights do not do what they say, and it just blinds ppl in front of me.... (dont put on flood lights ppl....)

i use 6KLED brand and they seem quite legit, got them from amazon...

#7 ·
I have a pair of Denali D2 lights on the R80RT. They were not cheap but they put out a lot of light and they are set to be dim/bright with the headlight. I had one light go bad well outside of the warranty time and Twisted Throttle replaced it no charge.

The R1200RT has the BMW lights but the previous owner bought them.

#8 ·
Personally, I like a lot of lights. I would install them vertical by the forks. Those seem great to me.

THE BUT: However, I been warned by techs that putting too many lights on the RT is a sure way to find alternator problems along the way. As a prove, the tech showed me the RTP/s engines sitting on the side who need an alternator replacement--and the gig apparently entails engine removal. The reason being that cops have all these extra-lighting thingies going on.

I already have the Clearwater Betsy/Darla/Willie. I think I am gonna stop there.

#10 ·
THE BUT: However, I been warned by techs that putting too many lights on the RT is a sure way to find alternator problems along the way.
With led’s using less than 25-percent of a regular bulb, you would have to have a Christmas tree lit up for it to affect the alternator. Now police bikes are a different story.

#11 ·
Good find. I also couldn't justify $450 lights. Instead I bought ADVMonster Model 20's for $130 delivered, and mounted them on BMW's light brackets, wired to a HEX EZcan. The Model 20's have great visibility, they're not 'dirty', and they don't get hot. A nice buy as well.

#13 ·
I'm not going to say purchasing $450-500 Clearwater lights is the best value or is for everyone, but for that money you do get some very high quality, well made in the USA and excellent customer service lights. I purchased mine in 2016 and they are now on a second bike and I don't regret spending the extra money for the quality and service.

Prior to that I had purchased some off-brand LED's on Amazon and I had to replace one that failed and another that the mount cracked on. I had researched the Clearwater lights and decided to just bite the bullet and buy when they had a promo gong that included a very nice LED flashlight. At the time the version 2 of the Denali lights were not out and I didn't see any other LED's that had the design or reputation that Clearwater had. I would certainly consider the Denali lights or others today, but I don't regret the investment I made.

Last summer I had a problem with the switch on my lights and it started just before the BMW Rally in Des Moines. I stopped by the Clearwater booth and explained the problem and without a receipt or even giving my name, Glenn replaced the switch at no charge even though the lights were technically out of warranty.

So I do think there are options for all budgets, but sometimes you do get what you pay for with the cheaper lights. And I figure I spent the money once and I may not have to buy another set, I'll just move to the new or used motorcycle and keep using them.

#14 ·
Ditto: one cannot dismiss the quality of Clearwater. For me, Glenn has achieved a synchronicity with the BMW canbus that is unmatched by cheaper versions of his products. Thanks be to God I can afford it, but on my bike, I always install the best...and the least disturbing to the creative electronic juices of the venerable Mother Beemer.
Mom Beemer.

#15 ·
Can you share a little more about how you mounted and wired them. Is a BMW R1200RT '14+ specific mount available? Do they come with their own switch and wiring harness? Possible to use any existing switch/wiring or are they just wired to the battery or a power block with a separate switch? Any and all additional info would be appreciated.
Mike

#16 ·
The relevant details are in my signature :

Denali B6 brake light
Denali CANSmart controller
Used oem auxiliary light brackets
LED Rider LX3 2.3 auxiliary lights - needed Denali BMW light adapter mounts
DENALI DRL Daytime Running Lights - Amber

Reactions: LAF
#18 ·
BrzIRT: I have been contemplating the purchase of the Denali Daytime Running Lights for quite some time but haven't pulled the trigger because I don't like the look or the robustness of the "fender bolt" mounting kit Denali shows for attachment to the fender skirt mounting bolt of my 2018 R1200RT. However, today I stumbled upon your original post that included photos showing both your auxiliary lights and daytime running lights. I see that you went with the "flush mounting" kit for the daytime running lights and mounted them directly to the front of the plastic fender skirt. Nice work! That's the look I want. I hadn't considered that option because the front of the fender skirt is roughly 30 degrees off of vertical and I thought the lights needed to be closer to vertical. So, a few questions for you or anybody else with experience with the Denali Daytime Running Lights. (1) Denali says they're visible for 180 degrees. Do you find that with them mounted to the front of the fender skirt, aiming downward roughly 30 degrees off of vertical, that there is any decrease in effectiveness as viewed by opposing traffic? (2) Did you connect them to your CANsmart or directly to your lighting circuit? (3) I seldom or never ride after dark so my primary concern is being as conspicuous as possible in the daylight. I see you chose the Amber lights over White. Would you make the same choice if you were doing it again? Your comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

#19 ·
(1) Denali says they're visible for 180 degrees. Do you find that with them mounted to the front of the fender skirt, aiming downward roughly 30 degrees off of vertical, that there is any decrease in effectiveness as viewed by opposing traffic?
(2) Did you connect them to your CANsmart or directly to your lighting circuit?
(3) I seldom or never ride after dark so my primary concern is being as conspicuous as possible in the daylight. I see you chose the Amber lights over White. Would you make the same choice if you were doing it again? Your comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
(1) I have not gone to that level of detail in figuring it out. As they are amber and therefore fog lights in my mind they need to be low. Visibility from a big distance was not a primary consideration. For that I have the auxiliary lights.
(2) Yes, they are wired directly to my CANSMart
(3) No, I am not regretting going with amber. Would do it again.

HTH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.