For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights... - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 11Likes
  • 4 Post By BrzIRT
  • 1 Post By wethead
  • 2 Post By bicyclenut
  • 1 Post By BrzIRT
  • 3 Post By LAF
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old May 7th, 2019, 11:51 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
BrzIRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 98
Garage
For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Just installed a set of LEDrider LX3 2.3 lights.

For less than half the price you get similar performance - these go for $90 each.

Hope this helps somebody...

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190506_201435159.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	151481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190506_201402559.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	151483  

Heed rear crash bars
MachineArtMoto X-Head guard
MachineArtMoto fender extender
Aeroflow 29-inch screen
Illium bar risers
Grip buddies
Denali B6 brake light
Denali CANSmart controller
Used oem auxiliary light brackets
LED Rider LX3 2.3 auxiliary lights
DENALI DRL Daytime Running Lights - Amber
BrzIRT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old May 8th, 2019, 12:30 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: San Diego
Posts: 136
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Majority of the time, not all the time I suppose, but the "cheaper" lights have really bad "dirty" light and as they heat up they become unstable. They get the job done I suppose, but there are very valid reasons as to why they cost so much.. I'm not really sold on the crazy prices of Clearwaters, but other manufacturers like Denali or Baja Designs are well worth the quality you get.

They look really good on the bike, defiantly an option if you aren't looking for all the fancy CANopener or CANSmart integration.
Kabish is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old May 8th, 2019, 1:21 am
Senior Member
 
Lee4BMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 126
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzIRT View Post
Just installed a set of LEDrider LX3 2.3 lights.

For less than half the price you get similar performance - these go for $90 each.

Hope this helps somebody...

Thanks
Same here. Couldn't justify $400 for lights when there are so many other options out there. I bought a set of LEDs from an overseas retailer called Bangood (tee hee I know) for about $40, hooked up to my Hex EZCan and they work flawlessly. Has Cree LEDs in them, putting out about 3500 lumens at full power and they look good, got them mounted way down low on the fork ends using the pinch bolts.
Lee4BMW is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 Old May 8th, 2019, 5:03 am
Senior Member
 
bandytales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somerton, , UK
Posts: 2,071
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzIRT View Post
Just installed a set of LEDrider LX3 2.3 lights.

For less than half the price you get similar performance - these go for $90 each.

Hope this helps somebody...

Thanks
Are you talking about the round lights or the vertical lights? I'd like to know about both to be honest. Could you give me info on both the lights please.

Are they dimmable?

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
bandytales is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old May 8th, 2019, 11:14 am Thread Starter
Member
 
BrzIRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 98
Garage
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
Are you talking about the round lights or the vertical lights? I'd like to know about both to be honest. Could you give me info on both the lights please.

Are they dimmable?
I was primarily referring to the round lights. They come with a two-wire lead but they can be made dimmable with the Denali SmartCAN module software. The vertical lights come with a 3-wire lead so they are dimmable out of the box.

Round auxiliary lights:
https://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=LX3

Driving lights (amber):
https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/denal...amber-or-white

Heed rear crash bars
MachineArtMoto X-Head guard
MachineArtMoto fender extender
Aeroflow 29-inch screen
Illium bar risers
Grip buddies
Denali B6 brake light
Denali CANSmart controller
Used oem auxiliary light brackets
LED Rider LX3 2.3 auxiliary lights
DENALI DRL Daytime Running Lights - Amber
BrzIRT is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old May 8th, 2019, 2:30 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Torrance, CA, USA
Posts: 99
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

$400+ lights, i cant justify them either.... but some of the cheaper lights that i have tried were dirty, dirty meaning the lights do not do what they say, and it just blinds ppl in front of me.... (dont put on flood lights ppl....)

i use 6KLED brand and they seem quite legit, got them from amazon...
joekahng is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old May 8th, 2019, 4:55 pm
Member
 
MichiganR80RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 39
Garage
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

I have a pair of Denali D2 lights on the R80RT. They were not cheap but they put out a lot of light and they are set to be dim/bright with the headlight. I had one light go bad well outside of the warranty time and Twisted Throttle replaced it no charge.

The R1200RT has the BMW lights but the previous owner bought them.

Current rides
2014 R1200RT -12 States, 2 Provinces
1984 R80RT Ė semi-retired -48 States, 5 Provinces
Past rides
1973 Honda CB500-4 -13 States
1971 Honda CL-350 -6 States
1972 Honda CL-175


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MichiganR80RT is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old May 8th, 2019, 6:13 pm
Senior Member
 
wethead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 738
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Personally, I like a lot of lights. I would install them vertical by the forks. Those seem great to me.

THE BUT: However, I been warned by techs that putting too many lights on the RT is a sure way to find alternator problems along the way. As a prove, the tech showed me the RTP/s engines sitting on the side who need an alternator replacement--and the gig apparently entails engine removal. The reason being that cops have all these extra-lighting thingies going on.

I already have the Clearwater Betsy/Darla/Willie. I think I am gonna stop there.
wethead is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old May 8th, 2019, 6:53 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: , fl, usa
Posts: 464
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

I have the same cheap lights. Bright as hell. Mine are 6 years old
mwood7800 is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old May 8th, 2019, 9:11 pm
Senior Member
 
mtrevelino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Williamsburg, VA, USA
Posts: 2,563
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethead View Post
THE BUT: However, I been warned by techs that putting too many lights on the RT is a sure way to find alternator problems along the way.
With ledís using less than 25-percent of a regular bulb, you would have to have a Christmas tree lit up for it to affect the alternator. Now police bikes are a different story.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mtrevelino is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old May 8th, 2019, 9:28 pm
Member
 
BakerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 67
Garage
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzIRT View Post
Just installed a set of LEDrider LX3 2.3 lights.

For less than half the price you get similar performance - these go for $90 each.

Hope this helps somebody...

Thanks
Good find. I also couldn't justify $450 lights. Instead I bought ADVMonster Model 20's for $130 delivered, and mounted them on BMW's light brackets, wired to a HEX EZcan. The Model 20's have great visibility, they're not 'dirty', and they don't get hot. A nice buy as well.

John - 2016 BMW R1200RT
BakerBoy is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old May 8th, 2019, 10:31 pm
Senior Member
 
wethead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 738
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
With ledís using less than 25-percent of a regular bulb, you would have to have a Christmas tree lit up for it to affect the alternator. Now police bikes are a different story.

You know you are encouraging me to put more lights on my bike, don't you?
MBevans likes this.
wethead is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old May 9th, 2019, 7:47 am
Junior Member
 
bicyclenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Garage
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

I'm not going to say purchasing $450-500 Clearwater lights is the best value or is for everyone, but for that money you do get some very high quality, well made in the USA and excellent customer service lights. I purchased mine in 2016 and they are now on a second bike and I don't regret spending the extra money for the quality and service.

Prior to that I had purchased some off-brand LED's on Amazon and I had to replace one that failed and another that the mount cracked on. I had researched the Clearwater lights and decided to just bite the bullet and buy when they had a promo gong that included a very nice LED flashlight. At the time the version 2 of the Denali lights were not out and I didn't see any other LED's that had the design or reputation that Clearwater had. I would certainly consider the Denali lights or others today, but I don't regret the investment I made.

Last summer I had a problem with the switch on my lights and it started just before the BMW Rally in Des Moines. I stopped by the Clearwater booth and explained the problem and without a receipt or even giving my name, Glenn replaced the switch at no charge even though the lights were technically out of warranty.

So I do think there are options for all budgets, but sometimes you do get what you pay for with the cheaper lights. And I figure I spent the money once and I may not have to buy another set, I'll just move to the new or used motorcycle and keep using them.
SpinDog and wethead like this.
bicyclenut is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old May 9th, 2019, 3:04 pm
Senior Member
 
wethead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 738
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclenut View Post
I'm not going to say purchasing $450-500 Clearwater lights is the best value or is for everyone, but for that money you do get some very high quality, well made in the USA and excellent customer service lights. I purchased mine in 2016 and they are now on a second bike and I don't regret spending the extra money for the quality and service.

Prior to that I had purchased some off-brand LED's on Amazon and I had to replace one that failed and another that the mount cracked on. I had researched the Clearwater lights and decided to just bite the bullet and buy when they had a promo gong that included a very nice LED flashlight. At the time the version 2 of the Denali lights were not out and I didn't see any other LED's that had the design or reputation that Clearwater had. I would certainly consider the Denali lights or others today, but I don't regret the investment I made.

Last summer I had a problem with the switch on my lights and it started just before the BMW Rally in Des Moines. I stopped by the Clearwater booth and explained the problem and without a receipt or even giving my name, Glenn replaced the switch at no charge even though the lights were technically out of warranty.

So I do think there are options for all budgets, but sometimes you do get what you pay for with the cheaper lights. And I figure I spent the money once and I may not have to buy another set, I'll just move to the new or used motorcycle and keep using them.

Ditto: one cannot dismiss the quality of Clearwater. For me, Glenn has achieved a synchronicity with the BMW canbus that is unmatched by cheaper versions of his products. Thanks be to God I can afford it, but on my bike, I always install the best...and the least disturbing to the creative electronic juices of the venerable Mother Beemer.
Mom Beemer.
wethead is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old May 9th, 2019, 5:25 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Fond du Lac, WI
Posts: 155
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzIRT View Post
Just installed a set of LEDrider LX3 2.3 lights.

For less than half the price you get similar performance - these go for $90 each.

Hope this helps somebody...

Thanks
Can you share a little more about how you mounted and wired them. Is a BMW R1200RT '14+ specific mount available? Do they come with their own switch and wiring harness? Possible to use any existing switch/wiring or are they just wired to the battery or a power block with a separate switch? Any and all additional info would be appreciated.
Mike
mfreeland is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old May 10th, 2019, 2:33 am Thread Starter
Member
 
BrzIRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 98
Garage
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreeland View Post
Can you share a little more about how you mounted and wired them. Is a BMW R1200RT '14+ specific mount available? Do they come with their own switch and wiring harness? Possible to use any existing switch/wiring or are they just wired to the battery or a power block with a separate switch? Any and all additional info would be appreciated.
Mike
The relevant details are in my signature :

Denali B6 brake light
Denali CANSmart controller
Used oem auxiliary light brackets
LED Rider LX3 2.3 auxiliary lights - needed Denali BMW light adapter mounts
DENALI DRL Daytime Running Lights - Amber
LAF likes this.

Heed rear crash bars
MachineArtMoto X-Head guard
MachineArtMoto fender extender
Aeroflow 29-inch screen
Illium bar risers
Grip buddies
Denali B6 brake light
Denali CANSmart controller
Used oem auxiliary light brackets
LED Rider LX3 2.3 auxiliary lights
DENALI DRL Daytime Running Lights - Amber
BrzIRT is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old May 12th, 2019, 9:14 am
Senior Member
 
GSinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 776
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclenut View Post
I'm not going to say purchasing $450-500 Clearwater lights is the best value or is for everyone, but for that money you do get some very high quality, well made in the USA and excellent customer service lights. I purchased mine in 2016 and they are now on a second bike and I don't regret spending the extra money for the quality and service.

Prior to that I had purchased some off-brand LED's on Amazon and I had to replace one that failed and another that the mount cracked on. I had researched the Clearwater lights and decided to just bite the bullet and buy when they had a promo gong that included a very nice LED flashlight. At the time the version 2 of the Denali lights were not out and I didn't see any other LED's that had the design or reputation that Clearwater had. I would certainly consider the Denali lights or others today, but I don't regret the investment I made.

Last summer I had a problem with the switch on my lights and it started just before the BMW Rally in Des Moines. I stopped by the Clearwater booth and explained the problem and without a receipt or even giving my name, Glenn replaced the switch at no charge even though the lights were technically out of warranty.

So I do think there are options for all budgets, but sometimes you do get what you pay for with the cheaper lights. And I figure I spent the money once and I may not have to buy another set, I'll just move to the new or used motorcycle and keep using them.
and MADE IN THE USA!!

I have Clearwaters on my RT and Denali D2's on my GS. Both are great products. Prior to moving to LED's I ran Moto-lights and was very happy with them and the great customer service.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
GSinNC is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old Jan 25th, 2020, 2:55 pm
Junior Member
 
dwlmrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 12
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzIRT View Post
Just installed a set of LEDrider LX3 2.3 lights.

For less than half the price you get similar performance - these go for $90 each.

Hope this helps somebody...

Thanks
BrzIRT: I have been contemplating the purchase of the Denali Daytime Running Lights for quite some time but haven't pulled the trigger because I don't like the look or the robustness of the "fender bolt" mounting kit Denali shows for attachment to the fender skirt mounting bolt of my 2018 R1200RT. However, today I stumbled upon your original post that included photos showing both your auxiliary lights and daytime running lights. I see that you went with the "flush mounting" kit for the daytime running lights and mounted them directly to the front of the plastic fender skirt. Nice work! That's the look I want. I hadn't considered that option because the front of the fender skirt is roughly 30 degrees off of vertical and I thought the lights needed to be closer to vertical. So, a few questions for you or anybody else with experience with the Denali Daytime Running Lights. (1) Denali says they're visible for 180 degrees. Do you find that with them mounted to the front of the fender skirt, aiming downward roughly 30 degrees off of vertical, that there is any decrease in effectiveness as viewed by opposing traffic? (2) Did you connect them to your CANsmart or directly to your lighting circuit? (3) I seldom or never ride after dark so my primary concern is being as conspicuous as possible in the daylight. I see you chose the Amber lights over White. Would you make the same choice if you were doing it again? Your comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
dwlmrs is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old Jan 25th, 2020, 6:03 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
BrzIRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 98
Garage
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlmrs View Post
(1) Denali says they're visible for 180 degrees. Do you find that with them mounted to the front of the fender skirt, aiming downward roughly 30 degrees off of vertical, that there is any decrease in effectiveness as viewed by opposing traffic?
(2) Did you connect them to your CANsmart or directly to your lighting circuit?
(3) I seldom or never ride after dark so my primary concern is being as conspicuous as possible in the daylight. I see you chose the Amber lights over White. Would you make the same choice if you were doing it again? Your comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
(1) I have not gone to that level of detail in figuring it out. As they are amber and therefore fog lights in my mind they need to be low. Visibility from a big distance was not a primary consideration. For that I have the auxiliary lights.
(2) Yes, they are wired directly to my CANSMart
(3) No, I am not regretting going with amber. Would do it again.

HTH

Heed rear crash bars
MachineArtMoto X-Head guard
MachineArtMoto fender extender
Aeroflow 29-inch screen
Illium bar risers
Grip buddies
Denali B6 brake light
Denali CANSmart controller
Used oem auxiliary light brackets
LED Rider LX3 2.3 auxiliary lights
DENALI DRL Daytime Running Lights - Amber
BrzIRT is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old Jan 26th, 2020, 7:48 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter
 
LAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Harrisburg , PA, USA
Posts: 3,028
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
With led’s using less than 25-percent of a regular bulb, you would have to have a Christmas tree lit up for it to affect the alternator. Now police bikes are a different story.
This is something while true needs to be watched.

First in most states you can have only a set number of forward facing lights on at one time.

Second we are talking huge Lumen numbers here. A set of Clear Your Wallet Sevina's will use 11.8 amps to run, 70 watts each which is 5.86 amps.

I am not a fan of blinding lights and not a fan of Clear Your Wallet lights at all. I was forced to ride in front of an idiot with them and could not use my rear mirrors without being blinded.

I also experienced down right dishonesty and was lied to my face at a Rally when I had written proof they were full of shit.

You guys that run them I see it, as they are a good light for sure. Just way to over priced no matter how much money you have in the bank.

I see some guys needing them but most of the ones I see are on pristine bikes, with pristine crash bars and they are just like look at me, just like a rev twitching open exhaust at a red light.

And remember if your looking to be seen blinding someone is not the way, try yellow lens. It is a fact it is yellow light is more effective then white lights in getting peoples attention to be seen.

I use Danali D4 and they are a mixed optic light, both distance and side by using optic lens to direct the light. Not cheap but cheaper then Clear Your Wallet, and they have been rock steady in performance. A lot of great lights out there so shop around.

Run what you need to and suits your needs. But please aim them correctly so you are not blinding anyone and err on the low side of aiming as you cant blind the ground, but you can the on coming driver who may end up in your lane because he could not see because of your blinding lights.
mtrevelino, bandytales and MBevans like this.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
LAF is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old Jan 27th, 2020, 10:49 am
Senior Member
 
GSinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 776
Re: For those of you that find US$450 a bit too steep for auxiliary lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF View Post
This is something while true needs to be watched.

First in most states you can have only a set number of forward facing lights on at one time.

Second we are talking huge Lumen numbers here. A set of Clear Your Wallet Sevina's will use 11.8 amps to run, 70 watts each which is 5.86 amps.

I am not a fan of blinding lights and not a fan of Clear Your Wallet lights at all. I was forced to ride in front of an idiot with them and could not use my rear mirrors without being blinded.

I also experienced down right dishonesty and was lied to my face at a Rally when I had written proof they were full of shit.

You guys that run them I see it, as they are a good light for sure. Just way to over priced no matter how much money you have in the bank.

I see some guys needing them but most of the ones I see are on pristine bikes, with pristine crash bars and they are just like look at me, just like a rev twitching open exhaust at a red light.

And remember if your looking to be seen blinding someone is not the way, try yellow lens. It is a fact it is yellow light is more effective then white lights in getting peoples attention to be seen.

I use Danali D4 and they are a mixed optic light, both distance and side by using optic lens to direct the light. Not cheap but cheaper then Clear Your Wallet, and they have been rock steady in performance. A lot of great lights out there so shop around.

Run what you need to and suits your needs. But please aim them correctly so you are not blinding anyone and err on the low side of aiming as you cant blind the ground, but you can the on coming driver who may end up in your lane because he could not see because of your blinding lights.
I run Denali D2's on my GS and Clearwater Darla's on my RT. Love both and would buy either again. Agree that Sevina lights are overkill for most riders and TOTALLY agree that amber/yellow lights are best for daytime conspicuity

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
GSinNC is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flashing ABS lights (my turn) SilverBuffalo K1200LT 2 Apr 18th, 2014 5:23 pm
Driving lights TVPearson Lighting 24 Aug 7th, 2010 9:39 pm
PIAA lights vs . . . (product review) Seattle Lighting 7 Jul 11th, 2009 2:13 pm
Hella FF50 Driving Lights installed unleashd Lighting 22 Aug 21st, 2006 3:11 pm
Lights & Ezy Mount Brackets EzyMount Lighting 3 Feb 24th, 2006 6:04 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome