• 2 Post By alegerlotz
  • 1 Post By wethead
  • 2 Post By DTimberg
  • 3 Post By bandytales
  • 1 Post By RTcowboy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old May 6th, 2019, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

Shift Assist Pro advice

Hey, I have a 2017 RT with no Shift Assist Pro and have been contemplating getting it installed. Went to the dealer and quoted me 980$ (Canadian) including labor. Wondering if there are anybody who had it installed and are happy they did or it's not worth the money. I definitely regret not adding it when I ordered the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old May 6th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Garage
Re: Shift Assist Pro advice

The 2018 RT I bought had it installed.
The only time I use it is when accelerating up a freeway on ramp.
I'll admit, it's kinda fun, but a grand worth of fun?

No way.
post #3 of 29 Old May 6th, 2019, 8:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It came on my 2015, I love it and use it a lot, both upshifting and downshifting, city and highway. While I love it and use it regularly, I would not likely pay a grand to have it added.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cowÖwhat a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

post #4 of 29 Old May 6th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Garage
I have it on my 2018 , (it came on the bike) and rarely use it. No way I'd pay $1000 to add it. I have a buddy who has it on his bike and he uses it all the time. To each his own I guess.
Dave Willdo and Denis75 like this.

Motorhead1977, Albany, NY
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."--John, Viscount Morley On Compromise, 1874
Dissent is Patriotic - Let us never forget that America was born of dissent.

2018 R1200RTW - Mars Red
2015 Ducati Scrambler Icon - '62 Yellow
1987 Honda VFR400R Rothmans livery
post #5 of 29 Old May 6th, 2019, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

What I was thinking too, a little steep to be able to shift without the clutch.
thanks for the replies
post #6 of 29 Old May 6th, 2019, 10:02 pm

All depends on how you like to ride really. Some people are going to hold it in higher regards, and others won't like it or want it.

I've only had my RT for basically a week, and I use the quick shifter up/down all the time. If you ride 2up frequently its handy, if you ride in traffic a lot its pretty handy as well. With that said, the RT is so smooth using a clutch and the clutch has such a smooth pull.
post #7 of 29 Old May 6th, 2019, 11:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis75 View Post
What I was thinking too, a little steep to be able to shift without the clutch.
thanks for the replies
Denis, I ordered my '16 RT w/o SAP. After reading reports of SAP users I decided to try to emulate what it does, sort of! Within a very short time I mastered clutch-less upshifting frequently between 4th-5th, 5th-6th, and occasionally 3-4th. I can do it so well if you were riding on the back you wouldn't feel any lurch at all, and it's definitely way quicker than clutched shifting. It's close to what SAP can do I believe. And that is because the roll-off is so brief as to be almost inconsequential. It took a little while but you're really trying to do is simulate what SAP does automatically by ultra-briefly killing the throttle and resuming it in the same position as you rolled off from. I'm reluctant to say 'rolled off' because it is virtually instantaneously fast! It's a perfectly timed reverse blip. If I think about it too much I can't get perfection. The tendency for a while was to return the throttle a little too far past where it was rolled off. But over a few months I got really good at it and have done it most of the time for the past 2y now. I'm saving the clutch and throwout bearing a little perhaps. So by doing this faux SAP, clutch-less upshifting you can get at least some of what SAP folks have w/o paying for it. No, it's not the same, but it what it is, and I enjoy doing it. As for really 'needing' SAP for example to get you up to warp speed on an onramp it's a little overkill since once you get into 3rd you can happily wind it all the way into the power band and so get well fast enough to enter any freeway at speed.

IOW...I'd save the $1000

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold

Last edited by NoelCP; May 6th, 2019 at 11:28 pm.
post #8 of 29 Old May 6th, 2019, 11:47 pm

I still haven't figured out why I'd use it and why they even put it on. Tried it once for a novelty and forgot about it. Next time I use my RT in a Moto GP I'll try it.
post #9 of 29 Old May 7th, 2019, 5:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have shift assist on my '15RT but rarely use it unless of course I'm bored and looking for a tech hit.
My first RT was a 2004 with the agricultural gearbox. I remember reading threads about how to get a smooth gear change esp 1 - 2 and 2 - 3. Something to do with pre-loading if I remember correctly. After much practice I got pretty good. This skill came into its own when carrying a pillion. The aim was to keep the number of helmet clashes as low as possible.
Back to the '15 with shift assist. I'm not about to deskill by getting technology to do what I can do .... better!

Ian

My plan is to live forever. So far so good.
post #10 of 29 Old May 7th, 2019, 6:31 am

When I purchased my 2015 used from my local dealer with 9K miles, I checked the buy sheet to see exactly what accessories were included in the build. Mine came with SAP. I tried using it but it didnít seem to function like I had read it should. Some people talked about pre-loading the shifter and I tried that. Apparently I started to blip the throttle without really trying and it started to shift without using the clutch. When I described my success to my friends at the dealership, they said thatís not the way itís supposed to function. They had me bring it in and found it wasnít working. The replaced it under warranty and I use it now occasionally, mostly up shifting into 4th, 5th, and 6th. It works very smoothly but I doubt Iíd spend $1K to have it added. The bike functions so great without it in my opinion.

Paul
post #11 of 29 Old May 7th, 2019, 6:49 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

It is super fun for WOT runs but other then that could care less about it.

I forget about it and always go for the clutch anyway.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 29 Old May 7th, 2019, 7:33 am

Quote:
Hey, I have a 2017 RT with no Shift Assist Pro and have been contemplating getting it installed. Went to the dealer and quoted me 980$ (Canadian) including labor. Wondering if there are anybody who had it installed and are happy they did or it's not worth the money. I definitely regret not adding it when I ordered the bike.
I have it on my 2014....it was a learning curve for me at first...because I had never had such a thing and was pretty good at shifting bikes without a clutch through upper gears anyway...so not smooth at all...due to me trying to help it do what it will do if you let it....but now it's habit and fun weather blasting through twisties or just puttering around...and smooth as silk up and down....I would think the clutch would last indefinitely with this feature...so myself I really like having it....and I am happy I got the option when I bought the bike....
post #13 of 29 Old May 7th, 2019, 8:49 am

Would the shift assist system save on clutch wear, hence, service down the road?

1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #14 of 29 Old May 7th, 2019, 9:00 am

I do not particularly care to use it shifting up through the gears but really like using it for downshifting when coming to a stop.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #15 of 29 Old May 7th, 2019, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryRT View Post
Would the shift assist system save on clutch wear, hence, service down the road?
I don't think clutch wear is relevant when we talk about the 'window' that the SAP would be operating in. Most clutch wear is caused on take off or filtering through traffic when the clutch is being feathered. During normal gear changes the amount of wear is negligible. Besides, when was the last time you heard of a wet clutch needing replacing. If my old Oilhead lasted to over 130000 miles before I got rid of the bike and at that point, the clutch was fine. I would be surprised if many of us will keep our Wethead's to that mileage.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #16 of 29 Old May 7th, 2019, 10:09 am

Garage

Quote:
Electronic shifting devices have been around for a very long time. I would look around and find an aftermarket kit. The BMW version is not anything special.

The only use I find of it is when merging onto the interstate where there is a lot of traffic and acceleration is key. Even then, I wouldn't use it below 3rd gear. I still downshift while using the clutch.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #17 of 29 Old May 7th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Quote:
I have it on my 18 GTL. I have 19k miles on the bike and probably used SA a couple dozen times. I would not pay a $1000 CND for it. My question for you is what are you expecting SA to do for you on a normal ride? If shift without using the clutch lever is your goal check out the Honda Gold Wing with the DCT transmission. When I have used SA it's been for up shifting in a hurry. I find it way to foreign to my liking on down shifting as you have to completely close the throttle before the the down shift.
post #18 of 29 Old May 7th, 2019, 2:33 pm

In my opinion, I thought a grand was fairly cheap to retro-fit a gear shift assist.

My clutchless 2018 shifts a lot smoother than the 2017. If they put a 2018 system in there I would do it.

When I first got a clutchless I said to myself: "I never use this gadget, I will remain a clutch using old-schooler"...I think that mentality lasted about 2 weeks before I forgot where the clutch was.

But I am still waiting for the techno-rebel who will install a suicide clutch on an RT. If you wanna go 'old-school' there's an idear!!
post #19 of 29 Old May 7th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Garage

I use my Shift Assist Pro most of the time from 2nd gear all the way up and back down again. I'm glad my bike has it. That being said, I don't know if I'd pay $1000 to add it to a bike that didn't already have it.

I'd suggest that you ride a bike that has it already and determine if the $1000 is worth it to you.

-----
After initially posting, I saw that it was $980 Candadian. That's $727.45 USD. I might actually pay that for as much as I use it...
Denis75 and Hfjeff like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 R1200RT
2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
1987 K100RS (12/2015 - 12/2016)
1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Last edited by alegerlotz; May 7th, 2019 at 3:13 pm. Reason: more info.
post #20 of 29 Old May 7th, 2019, 5:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My 16 RT has it. I use it once in a while. I like learning shift manually without a clunk . If I could save several hundred bucks and have gotten without I would be for it. the extra effort to upshift is wearing a hole in my riding boot.

McWideglide

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
post #21 of 29 Old May 7th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWideglide View Post
My 16 RT has it. I use it once in a while. I like learning shift manually without a clunk . If I could save several hundred bucks and have gotten without I would be for it. the extra effort to upshift is wearing a hole in my riding boot.

...just an idea

I had same (shift-hole-on-boot) on one of my favorite boots. I took it to a shoe-repair dude in my neck of the woods and he put a patch of leather on top of where the shifter-mark was, and it lasted me till the shoe itself fell apart...though I tell ya: its hard to find them o' shoe-repair joints nowadays. Nobody repairs their shoes anymore.

...nother idea: I usually buy very comfortable work boots at Sears with plastic safety toes that serve well as motorcycle boots. They are much cheaper than motorcycle brand boots and work just as well.

My last pair is a waterproof Bates boot from the internet. They sort of like military boots; again, cheaper than motorcycle brands and wider in size also. Most of them EU made motorcycle boots are too narrow....I don't know about them Europeans narrow feet, don't they walk bare-footed when they are kids?
McWideglide likes this.
post #22 of 29 Old May 7th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Garage

Shift Pro is one of the best product idea's around. After the dealer cleared out the memory and reset it I am really enjoying shifting. The down shifting is very smooth in aggressive riding. Up shifting isn't quite as smooth, but is a lot faster without the clutch. I wish they made it on my dirt bikes years ago. This is a better feature than the Hill Start Pro. I do use the Hill Start Pro on some hills but not as I would expect it to be used. I would think you could just drop the clutch and go up the hill but it drags the engine down to almost a stall out situation. My 2017 came with all the components, but I don't think I would pay an extra grand for it.

2017 R1200RT
post #23 of 29 Old May 8th, 2019, 12:46 pm

My 2018 RT came with it and I find myself using it to downshift quite frequently. I feel like that’s where it really shines.

Also upshifting while riding two up is a nice perk and prevents lurching and helmet clanging.

Could you rev-match your own downshifts? Absolutely. It’s certainly a luxury, not necessity, and like many have said, I probably wouldn’t pay close to a grand to add it to my bike, but I do like it and do use it.
post #24 of 29 Old May 9th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Garage

I bought my used 2016 RT1200 with shift pro installed. Iíve been using a clutch for 40 years and itís just second nature. Doesnít seem to work that great in lower gears. Spend the money on farkle🤑. Too bad you canít get central locking after delivery, Iím jealous every time my buddy just pushes the button and walks away.
LAF and Denis75 like this.
post #25 of 29 Old May 10th, 2019, 9:54 am

Shift assist pro on my bike is not very smooth unless you are under acceleration, the harder the acceleration the smoother it works. For your normal, everyday, garden variety shifts, I can shift far smoother than shift assist pro, especially in the lower gears. As others have noted, it works better for downshifting than upshifting.

If you just feel too lazy to pull in the clutch all the time, or you always ride like you stole it (hard acceleration under high RPM) then it might be worth the upgrade. I don't think you'll get $1K benefit from normal, everyday riding.
post #26 of 29 Old May 13th, 2019, 5:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1000XRider View Post
Shift assist pro on my bike is not very smooth unless you are under acceleration, the harder the acceleration the smoother it works.

But that is exactly what shift assist is for.
LAF, PadG and alegerlotz like this.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #27 of 29 Old May 14th, 2019, 11:13 pm

I use it ALL the time.
On my own or with a passenger.
Up and down...Ö...it transforms the bike...Ö..so much fun !
alegerlotz likes this.
post #28 of 29 Old May 15th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Garage

At first I was a bit leary of the SAP until I read the manual (duh) and learned how to use it properly. I still use the clutch from 1st to 2nd, but from then on it's SAP for upshifting while accelerating. The down shifting is even better, as long as you are totally off the throttle.

Is it worth a grand to have it added? Depends on if you think you'd use it I guess.

Ski

2016 BMW R1200RT in Ebony Metallic
1981 BMW R100RT in Forest Green
Honda 550 Four
Suzuki 250
Honda 175
post #29 of 29 Old May 15th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Garage

I found that I don't have to be off the throttle to down shift like I heard other people say.

2018 R1200RT 3,200 miles, 2004 R1150RT 188,100 miles, 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
Total 426,900 BMW miles

The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in