BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Review of the 2019 R120RT

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  nox273 
#1 · (Edited)
Reactions: Shoptime
#2 ·
Yup accurate review... I haven’t had the chance to play around with dynamic pro mode on the suspension but not sure how aggressive one would need to be to need that. I only switched over to dynamic when the roads got a bit twisty and the bike started to get a little too wallowy in some situations. Great bike though can’t recommend enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
BMW requires proactive behavior on your part to access Dynamic Pro and its customization options—a coded plug under the seat must be manipulated.

The above wording is from the review. My 1250 has rain, road and dynamic so what is dynamic pro??
Think he is getting confused with Enduro Pro, which is on the GS, you can switch to this mode for off road and when using knobly tyres.

#7 ·
I did over 22k miles on my 2014 Wet Head and didn't find the seat uncomfortable or the handlebars bad. Guess it depends on how much you ride and get used to it, or possibly your physical attributes. I've now done just 400 miles on my 1250, found the seat hard for the first 70 miles, but now it seems ok. Think how much money I save on not buying seats and bar risers :)

#5 ·
I suppose most of us are anticipating that BMW will upgrade the display on the RT to the TFT that is available for the GS/GSA. But although I have both a '17 RT and an '18 GSA, I really like the dash and controls on the RT. They are "classic" and functional. I like the ability to easily adjust spring rate and damping independently on the RT, whereas on the GSA it seems like they are combined and have limited adjustability through the TFT.

I'm often asked which bike I would choose if I could only have one. And I find that it all depends on which one I am riding that day - I enjoy them both equally. Their purposes overlap somewhat, but each is wonderful for its intended purpose.

As for the seats (on each), yeah - my butt is sore after 100 miles or so. That just means it's time to get off the bike and "smell the roses". I'm convinced that for me the biggest comfort factor is the fact that I spend most of my riding time commuting short distances or 100 mile day trips and don't have much seat time to get my body used to sitting in one position for an extended period of time.

Attachments

#6 ·
Love the ever same marketing, by those who make products and those who make their living promoting those products. The last model was the greatest and best, but now a displacement increase...and you can toss the older versions shortcomings by moving on up.

R's certainly, but the F series is an amazing example also...their 800 series bikes were all you needed and weren't they pronounced the best mid range thing around. However, when the 850 appeared...Oh now how much the 800 has vibes at higher rpm and not near the new bike we have now - to buy!

Remember when the K series had its "Compact" design to bring engine, clutch and transmission into a very drive able design with all the best qualities missing in their Asian counterparts...where the transmission and engine shared the same oil supply? But now that old Asian trick is the one to buy from BMW. And when there was nothing that could beat shaft drive. Oh Lord, what's with all the belts and chains today?

One just can't beat a good marketing come on.

#16 · (Edited)
"Although hooligan 2019 BMW R 1250 RT is an oxymoron, the Dynamic Pro mode will help you defeat some of the electronic rider aids. Really, I can’t imagine the need to turn off traction control and go on a wheelying binge, though YouTube hits can be lucrative. BMW requires proactive behavior on your part to access Dynamic Pro and its customization options—a coded plug under the seat must be manipulated. Even though I found Dynamic to be a great choice when I wanted to make time, and Dynamic Pro superfluous, there is nothing wrong with BMW allowing additional personalization choices to inclined riders."

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/04/21/2019-bmw-r-1250-rt-review-15-fast-facts/

So you guys saying you do not have this it is either not plugged in, as I say my dealer would NOT plug it in, I had to. Or you got ripped off.

#17 ·
No I do not have this. This is not mentioned anywhere or in any other review anywhere. It's not mentioned in the handbook, on any BMW Motorrad site in Europe, so either it's a big secret or as I have already stated the journalist got it wrong, which is probably the case. He is more than likely getting confused with Enduro Pro on the GS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.