7Likes
  • 1 Post By zamram
  • 2 Post By alegerlotz
  • 3 Post By Beemer tiger
  • 1 Post By veteranbicycle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Apr 21st, 2019, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

R1200RT blues

I am a machinist, so I like to think I have good mechanical aptitude, however I would like some advice about the future of my bike - is it worth fixing?

I bought my US-spec 2011 R1200RT brand new from Dexheimer Motorradzentrum in Kaiserslautern when I was stationed in Heidelberg. After going back to the states, I had service done at Capital BMW in Raleigh when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC until 2013.

After my discharge, I only sporadically had it serviced, and over the years things have started to go wrong.

The first to go was the left side heated grip, replaced under warranty. That has since also gone bad, without being repaired since the warranty expired.

On my trip home to NY from NC in 2013, my factory battery failed several times. I didn't have time to wait overnight for an eval and warranty replacement, so I bought an Odyssey battery. I replaced that last month with the same model, a PC680, although I think the battery isn't the problem now (more on that below).

Mice chewed through the harness that leads to the audio button panel, which I have also not fixed. Looks like just a new harness would fix it though.

The high-beam bulb started blowing out regularly, and I've dealt without a high beam for the last few years.

The seat started disintegrating, so last Fall I bought a NOS unheated seat on ebay.

I replaced the oil and filter myself recently for the first time ever, and before that it was probably 10,000 miles ago. It had both fuel and water in it. I plan to replace it within 1000 miles this time to see if its cleaner.

I successfully replaced the front and rear brake pads myself a couple of weeks ago, and I think I'm ready for some more challenging work.

The five new problems are potentially the deciding factor for whether or not I even want to start making further repairs:

The cam chain tensioner is loose, and oil has been seeping from the bolt head for probably two years or more. Under the plastic the left side is covered in oil, and I can hear a slight knocking sound from the left side.

Starting a week ago, the bike has no power. I can barely make it up a hill in second gear, at 4K rpm, and starting from a stop is a real problem.

The hazard lights and turn signals do not work properly, since a very heavy rain three months ago. It's not the bulbs though - it started with the left turn signal not turning off after the bike was shut off, and since then it has morphed into some pretty weird behavior. Its current state is zero left turn signal, zero hazards, working right turn signal but zero cancel - pressing the hazards button twice cancels the right turn signal, but without the hazards ever showing.

And the final major fault - the taillight and the front marker lights will sometimes not turn off after turning off the bike. I have found a dead battery in the morning more times than I can count.

In context, I could afford the buy the bike, but after my military service ended my financial picture changed drastically and I could not afford to maintain it. Currently, I live very far away from a dealership and that makes it even more complicated.

I will be moving cross country in a couple of months and I'd like to ride the bike there. I will likely be able to afford a new bike once I am established, and I am trying to gage whether or not to dump what will probably be a small fortune into this bike, or scrap it here in Arkansas for pennies.

Thanks for reading my life story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 5:26 am

Re: R1200RT blues

First thing I would do is check for more mice damage to the wiring harness.

How did water get in the oil?

Hate to say it but probably cheaper to part in out and start over with a nice used bike.

Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
joekahng likes this.
post #3 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 7:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Sorry that you are having such a negative experience with your BMW. Although you are a machinist, that is a designation that covers a broad spectrum. You might be an engine lathe type machinist, or a CNC machine center operator, or a ďset-up programmerĒ machinist. Or, you could be (like me), an analog guy in a digital world. Either way, unless I have misread your post, you have been busy working, earning a living, riding the bike, but not maintaining it on a regular basis. My RT is the same year as yours and has been serviced regularly by the two previous owners and now by me.

Meeting folks over the internet it is easy to make incorrect assumptions and I hope you donít take offense from my remarks, but it seems you have found yourself reacting to problems rather than anticipating and preventing them. Also, what kind of facilities do you have to park your bike when it is not being ridden. I have an old drafty pole barn/man cave. I have a good bike cover attached to an overhead pulley so I can hoist it up & down when not in use. Like yourself, I am subject to a rodent invasion but, so far, my two barn cats have been great!

A mouse does not have to chew up your wiring to cause trouble...I firmly believe that one of the most corrosive chemicals on earth is mouse pee! So, all one of those liíl critters need to do is pee on one of your connectors and zap your circuits. So, if you get all the wiring sorted out, get yourself a cat and make it a comfortable home next to where you keep your bike.

Iím an incurable tinkerer, so having this BMW is a new challenge that I enjoy (so far). It is full of tinkering challenges. Yesterday, for the first time, I connected my (used from ebay) GS-911 diagnostic tool to my bike and reset the service reminder after my recent (a couple weeks ago) oil/filter change. I was encouraged after running a scan that the diagnostics didnít show any faults. However, as we know, anything can break at any time.

Compared to my old Ď95 VT1100 Honda Shadow ACE...this BMW is a sophisticated space ship. I spent nearly two decades of enjoyable chugging around on that old Honda. Hardly ever did anything more than change oil/filter, tires, spark plugs, and lube the shaft drive from time to time. No radio, no tachometer, gas gauge, shift indicator, on the fly ride adjustments, ABS, adjustable windshield...just a loud reliable basic motorcycle.

Perhaps thatís where you would be most comfortable...why invest in a 16 tool machining center when a simple old engine lathe will do the job? Whatever you do, I wish you the best. If you enjoy mechanical challenges, I'd say take it as a project and fix it. If you want a basic tough old school bike experience...find a reliable cruiser that fits your needs and happy riding.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 11:25 am

Garage

If it were me, I'd sell it now for whatever you I could get, and then just plan on getting a newer bike that's ready to ride after the move.

Unless you really love your existing bike (which i doesn't sound like you do), I think that repairing it would be a poor use of funds.

Alternatively, you could take the money you'd spend on fixing it, along with the salvage value, and buy another bike now to make the ride to the new location...

Good Luck with you decision!
Digtlartst and beech like this.

2016 R1200RT
2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
1987 K100RS (12/2015 - 12/2016)
1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)
post #5 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 12:40 pm

I re-read your story, and still might have missed it, but how many miles in total are on the odometer? Hard to imagine "scrapping" a camhead.
post #6 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 1:36 pm

i had a buddy who was working on his harley softail, he bought it brand new and he wanted to work on it himself and and he stripped one of the bigger bolt, and while trying to salvage it, the bolt broke off. the part of the bolt was left inside the engine without him knowing (he wasn't much of a grease monkey) and he took it for a ride around the block... it pretty much destroyed engine. he took it to our local harley dealer and acted dumb, (acted like he never worked on it) and the dealer got his insurance company involved.... long story short, ins co. paid and he got a new engine... and i think the ins co. is still trying to claim HD was at fault....

if i were you, call ur ins. co and ask about mice damage to your bike... i bet that lil creature can do some serious damages to the bmw canbus mapping if the wires are going heywire...
post #7 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 11:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaninBC View Post
I re-read your story, and still might have missed it, but how many miles in total are on the odometer? Hard to imagine "scrapping" a camhead.
post #8 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 11:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer tiger View Post
Sorry that you are having such a negative experience with your BMW. Although you are a machinist, that is a designation that covers a broad spectrum. You might be an engine lathe type machinist, or a CNC machine center operator, or a ďset-up programmerĒ machinist. Or, you could be (like me), an analog guy in a digital world. Either way, unless I have misread your post, you have been busy working, earning a living, riding the bike, but not maintaining it on a regular basis. My RT is the same year as yours and has been serviced regularly by the two previous owners and now by me.

Meeting folks over the internet it is easy to make incorrect assumptions and I hope you donít take offense from my remarks, but it seems you have found yourself reacting to problems rather than anticipating and preventing them. Also, what kind of facilities do you have to park your bike when it is not being ridden. I have an old drafty pole barn/man cave. I have a good bike cover attached to an overhead pulley so I can hoist it up & down when not in use. Like yourself, I am subject to a rodent invasion but, so far, my two barn cats have been great!

A mouse does not have to chew up your wiring to cause trouble...I firmly believe that one of the most corrosive chemicals on earth is mouse pee! So, all one of those liíl critters need to do is pee on one of your connectors and zap your circuits. So, if you get all the wiring sorted out, get yourself a cat and make it a comfortable home next to where you keep your bike.

Iím an incurable tinkerer, so having this BMW is a new challenge that I enjoy (so far). It is full of tinkering challenges. Yesterday, for the first time, I connected my (used from ebay) GS-911 diagnostic tool to my bike and reset the service reminder after my recent (a couple weeks ago) oil/filter change. I was encouraged after running a scan that the diagnostics didnít show any faults. However, as we know, anything can break at any time.

Compared to my old Ď95 VT1100 Honda Shadow ACE...this BMW is a sophisticated space ship. I spent nearly two decades of enjoyable chugging around on that old Honda. Hardly ever did anything more than change oil/filter, tires, spark plugs, and lube the shaft drive from time to time. No radio, no tachometer, gas gauge, shift indicator, on the fly ride adjustments, ABS, adjustable windshield...just a loud reliable basic motorcycle.

Perhaps thatís where you would be most comfortable...why invest in a 16 tool machining center when a simple old engine lathe will do the job? Whatever you do, I wish you the best. If you enjoy mechanical challenges, I'd say take it as a project and fix it. If you want a basic tough old school bike experience...find a reliable cruiser that fits your needs and happy riding.
I design tooling in Solidworks for production of carbon fiber products, I program toolpaths in CAM and I operate both CNC and manual machine tools.

I tried to start my own company after the military and I went very broke, and now I work for somebody else for less money than I'd like.

100% of my RT's life it's been under the sun, wind, rain and snow, mostly in Portland, OR. When I moved to Arkansas in 2017 the sun damage accelerated. I didn't mention before than none of the grip controls are even readable anymore.

I agree with you 100% that the motorcycle I should own isn't the one I do... but I have zero interest in riding a cruiser.
post #9 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 11:38 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

I would look at the wiring and make sure you are not shorting out across several chewed wires. If the battery keeps dying and the turn signals are all crazy, something is shorting somewhere.
The oil leaking can be fixed. It would really suck to replace the wire harness.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #10 of 27 Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 12:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
If it were me, I'd sell it now for whatever you I could get, and then just plan on getting a newer bike that's ready to ride after the move.

Unless you really love your existing bike (which i doesn't sound like you do), I think that repairing it would be a poor use of funds.

Alternatively, you could take the money you'd spend on fixing it, along with the salvage value, and buy another bike now to make the ride to the new location...

Good Luck with you decision!
Thanks! I'm looking for a second opinion before I commit one way or the other, and I am thankful for any insight. Arkansas is supposedly a good place to buy a new vehicle, according to the locals, but if I could just eke out one last epic ride out of my '11 RT...

I stopped by the BMW Motorrad dealer in San Jose, CA a couple of weeks ago, and they unofficially sold me on the new GS. Not that I'd be any better off!

That shop was so cool though! They showed me some stuff in the back that would blow your mind. The service manager and owner are both legit.

XC on a new GS or a familiar and well-loved RT? I am so conflicted! Until I have a formal (job) offer, I can't really act on it yet though.
post #11 of 27 Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 8:24 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by veteranbicycle View Post
... XC on a new GS or a familiar and well-loved RT? I am so conflicted! Until I have a formal (job) offer, I can't really act on it yet though.
You could always have the RT checked out (I didn't know it had only 29000 miles on it!) and see what it would take to fix it. It might be cheaper than you think if you go with an independent shop rather than a dealer.

2016 R1200RT
2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
1987 K100RS (12/2015 - 12/2016)
1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)
post #12 of 27 Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 9:40 pm

I'll take it off your hands for $1000 cash and you will be rid of it.....

2016 R1200RT
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES (sold)
2008 Yamaha Zuma (wife's ride but I maintain)
post #13 of 27 Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 10:41 pm

It's bad for these bikes to sit around. You probably need to go through the bike with major service in mind. Change all the fluids, flush the brakes, check the valves, change the air filter and spark plugs, then do a complete inspection of the wiring and everything else. Double check where the oil leak is too.

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #14 of 27 Old Apr 24th, 2019, 5:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
I design tooling in Solidworks for production of carbon fiber products, I program toolpaths in CAM and I operate both CNC and manual machine tools.

I tried to start my own company after the military and I went very broke, and now I work for somebody else for less money than I'd like.

100% of my RT's life it's been under the sun, wind, rain and snow, mostly in Portland, OR. When I moved to Arkansas in 2017 the sun damage accelerated. I didn't mention before than none of the grip controls are even readable anymore.

I agree with you 100% that the motorcycle I should own isn't the one I do... but I have zero interest in riding a cruiser.
The additional info makes me think your "blues" have more to do with your life situation than your bike. And, from your postings, I am confident you have the skills/talent and capability to eventually work it out. Instead of suggesting a "cruiser," I should have used the broader term "bike of your choice." But for now, as an old geezer with lots of "life's blues" behind me, I'll mainly suggest a more concentrated focus on your career and use the bike situation as a motivational aspiration that will fall into place as you replace the blues by seeking adventures in each day's challenges.

I survived a childhood of physical pain from an undiagnosed malady until age 15. Survived two older brothers, a strict father, and expulsion from school for hospitalizing the school bully who tortured me for three years. Hostile fire in Vietnam gave me further focus on how fortunate we are to live as free as we do and how each day is truly a "gift." Even today, in the aftermath of agent orange exposure, and resulting diabetes, I am thankful for the ability to give myself an injection of insulin so that I can live today to its fullest!

I went against family tradition and went to college (totally unprepared). It was a struggle but a great adventure. I graduated at age 28, spent a few years working with my BA degree in psychology and then made a right angle turn at the speed of life into industrial sales and engineering. Another adventure. So, now retired, today is full of tasks I'll not complete. I have buildings to repair, oil to change (mower), acres of grass to mow, animals to feed, all that and I don't know what "SHE" has planned for me today? If I can carve out an hour (or two), I might even be able to hop on my bike and visit one of my riding buddies, another geezer, who is recovering from his latest adventure...A NEW PACEMAKER!"

So...In the spirit of encouragement...I wish you the best!!! As I type this, dawn is coming, & adventure is on the horizon!
Lynn_Keen, bushbikie and TimSeawel like this.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

post #15 of 27 Old Apr 24th, 2019, 8:26 am

Scrap it
post #16 of 27 Old Apr 25th, 2019, 6:04 pm

The 2010-2013 RTs are considered by many to be some of the best that were made as far as value and durability/maintenance. You have one in the middle of that range that has been neglected. However, much of what you describe sounds fairly easy and relatively inexpensive to repair if you do it yourself. I've published a bunch of RT related "how-to" videos on youtube and there are plenty of others. The water you found in the oil is likely due to long periods of sitting and perhaps occasional start-ups for short periods. The wiring issues are solvable by careful examination and soldering in new wire where necessary. The cam tensioner thing is a common issue and it may just need tightening. The performance issue could be many things, including ignition coils and/or plugs, fuel pump pressure or fuel quality, a stuck exhaust flap, bad O2 sensors, a misrouted throttle cable, a giant mouse nest in the air filter, etc. However, none of those are the end of the world as far as cost or repair time. You might also do a valve check since it's likely past due. (Here's my video--
) A GS-911 tool that you beg, steal or borrow would help you narrow down some things (My video on that--
).

So, the bike isn't perfect. Neither is the rider, right? Whoopdi doo. Set a budget, get your shit together and fix all the important things. You can do it. Then ride that thing like you stole it. Hooah?

Quote:
I am a machinist, so I like to think I have good mechanical aptitude, however I would like some advice about the future of my bike - is it worth fixing?

I bought my US-spec 2011 R1200RT brand new from Dexheimer Motorradzentrum in Kaiserslautern when I was stationed in Heidelberg. After going back to the states, I had service done at Capital BMW in Raleigh when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC until 2013.

After my discharge, I only sporadically had it serviced, and over the years things have started to go wrong.

The first to go was the left side heated grip, replaced under warranty. That has since also gone bad, without being repaired since the warranty expired.

On my trip home to NY from NC in 2013, my factory battery failed several times. I didn't have time to wait overnight for an eval and warranty replacement, so I bought an Odyssey battery. I replaced that last month with the same model, a PC680, although I think the battery isn't the problem now (more on that below).

Mice chewed through the harness that leads to the audio button panel, which I have also not fixed. Looks like just a new harness would fix it though.

The high-beam bulb started blowing out regularly, and I've dealt without a high beam for the last few years.

The seat started disintegrating, so last Fall I bought a NOS unheated seat on ebay.

I replaced the oil and filter myself recently for the first time ever, and before that it was probably 10,000 miles ago. It had both fuel and water in it. I plan to replace it within 1000 miles this time to see if its cleaner.

I successfully replaced the front and rear brake pads myself a couple of weeks ago, and I think I'm ready for some more challenging work.

The five new problems are potentially the deciding factor for whether or not I even want to start making further repairs:

The cam chain tensioner is loose, and oil has been seeping from the bolt head for probably two years or more. Under the plastic the left side is covered in oil, and I can hear a slight knocking sound from the left side.

Starting a week ago, the bike has no power. I can barely make it up a hill in second gear, at 4K rpm, and starting from a stop is a real problem.

The hazard lights and turn signals do not work properly, since a very heavy rain three months ago. It's not the bulbs though - it started with the left turn signal not turning off after the bike was shut off, and since then it has morphed into some pretty weird behavior. Its current state is zero left turn signal, zero hazards, working right turn signal but zero cancel - pressing the hazards button twice cancels the right turn signal, but without the hazards ever showing.

And the final major fault - the taillight and the front marker lights will sometimes not turn off after turning off the bike. I have found a dead battery in the morning more times than I can count.

In context, I could afford the buy the bike, but after my military service ended my financial picture changed drastically and I could not afford to maintain it. Currently, I live very far away from a dealership and that makes it even more complicated.

I will be moving cross country in a couple of months and I'd like to ride the bike there. I will likely be able to afford a new bike once I am established, and I am trying to gage whether or not to dump what will probably be a small fortune into this bike, or scrap it here in Arkansas for pennies.

Thanks for reading my life story.
post #17 of 27 Old May 3rd, 2019, 9:52 am

Thank you. Well thought out and said. You just said all that I was thinking.
post #18 of 27 Old Jun 9th, 2019, 11:33 am Thread Starter

I replaced the H7 bulbs, and now the headlights work fine. If I turn the bike off after running for a short period, perhaps a minute or so, the parking lights (including the rear brake light) come back on immediately after - even with the key out. Still a problem!

I finally torqued down the cam chain tensioner bolt with a 15mm box end wrench, after pulling off the throttle body. I also topped off the oil with the remainder of the 4L container I bought for the last oil change, and now with the bike on its center stand the sight glass is clear and the very black oil is up to the mid point after running it for a few seconds.

I bought another 4L of oil, this time Motul 15W50 from Cycle Gear. In hindsight, I probably should have just gone with the same Liqui-Moly from Amazon, since I just ordered another oil filter and an air filter (still on the original from 2010!). I'll change the oil when these show up on Tuesday.

What can I check while the plastic body panels are off, in order to investigate the turn signal mystery? I have zero turn signals, and zero hazards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-06-09 113245.png
Views:	28
Size:	478.8 KB
ID:	152389  
post #19 of 27 Old Jun 9th, 2019, 11:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch View Post
It's bad for these bikes to sit around. You probably need to go through the bike with major service in mind. Change all the fluids, flush the brakes, check the valves, change the air filter and spark plugs, then do a complete inspection of the wiring and everything else. Double check where the oil leak is too.
If it's not already clear, I am not an average BMW motorcycle owner. I do not have a car, I do not have a house and I do not have a garage. This bike is my ONLY motorized transportation, and I ride it every day - however my trips are not long. I would not be surprised if the ODO isn't registering properly, especially since the fuel economy and average speed readouts can't possibly be accurate. If reset it and then go 55MPH on level ground with no stops I can top 60MPG, however any other scenario causes it to drop instantly to the mid-30s.

I think I should probably do the spark plugs too, and honestly I hadn't thought of that.
post #20 of 27 Old Jun 9th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Quote:
If it's not already clear, I am not an average BMW motorcycle owner. I do not have a car, I do not have a house and I do not have a garage. This bike is my ONLY motorized transportation, and I ride it every day - however my trips are not long. I would not be surprised if the ODO isn't registering properly, especially since the fuel economy and average speed readouts can't possibly be accurate. If reset it and then go 55MPH on level ground with no stops I can top 60MPG, however any other scenario causes it to drop instantly to the mid-30s.

I think I should probably do the spark plugs too, and honestly I hadn't thought of that.

Its not the odometer but the fuel level sensor. My 2009 gets 42ish mixed, mid to upper 40s on trips. It likes premium fuel too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #21 of 27 Old Jun 9th, 2019, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/a...s/61_5768.html

In troubleshooting the turn signal mess, I thought I'd check the fuses - BUT it seems like the fusebox location is a closely guarded secret. I can find plenty of pics of auxiliary wiring, but ZERO of the OEM fusebox in the pic linked to above, except this from a manual site:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...age=145#manual

It's not exactly easy to visualize. I think I see the test port in there, but it's not clear. Any clues? I'm writing this from home before I walk to the machine shop, where my bike is half apart (photo above).
post #22 of 27 Old Jun 9th, 2019, 3:57 pm

I didn't think that there were any fuses. A computer controls all the circuits.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #23 of 27 Old Jun 9th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Fuse box, good one.
post #24 of 27 Old Jun 18th, 2019, 9:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
The 2010-2013 RTs are considered by many to be some of the best that were made as far as value and durability/maintenance. You have one in the middle of that range that has been neglected. However, much of what you describe sounds fairly easy and relatively inexpensive to repair if you do it yourself. I've published a bunch of RT related "how-to" videos on youtube and there are plenty of others. The water you found in the oil is likely due to long periods of sitting and perhaps occasional start-ups for short periods. The wiring issues are solvable by careful examination and soldering in new wire where necessary. The cam tensioner thing is a common issue and it may just need tightening. The performance issue could be many things, including ignition coils and/or plugs, fuel pump pressure or fuel quality, a stuck exhaust flap, bad O2 sensors, a misrouted throttle cable, a giant mouse nest in the air filter, etc. However, none of those are the end of the world as far as cost or repair time. You might also do a valve check since it's likely past due. (Here's my video-- https://youtu.be/M3EoOAb1owc ) A GS-911 tool that you beg, steal or borrow would help you narrow down some things (My video on that-- https://youtu.be/G7Wp0HCn2R ).

So, the bike isn't perfect. Neither is the rider, right? Whoopdi doo. Set a budget, get your shit together and fix all the important things. You can do it. Then ride that thing like you stole it. Hooah?
Thanks for the pep talk!

I tightened the cam chain tensioner bolt head, and my oil leak woes are gone. I also replaced the air filter - which was the original - and while I had the panels off I gave the bike a good cleaning. Just for fun I replaced the turn signals with LEDs, holding out hope that it might help (it didn't). These are them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NBR4BGH The hazards and right turn signal are back to working after the bike has been on for about two minutes, and if I turn the bike off before the two minute mark the tail light and parking lights turn on again after I remove the key.

So I think the switch may be faulty, and if it isn't the switch I have no idea what I could do because the switch basically leads directly to the computer. Yesterday I purchased this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-BMW...T/264358269842 on eBay. It took some time looking at part numbers, and BMW doesn't make it easy because they change them all the time. My RT has every option there is, and this switch accommodates all of them. Part of the reason I think the switch is bad is I haven't been able to access the suspension adjust for several years - the button literally does nothing.

The other reason I think the switch is bad is because in investigating it I found that the BMW service techs screwed up reinstallation after replacing the heated grip under warranty several years ago. They routed the iPod control cable under the switch housing, causing it to deform. After I pulled it apart I noticed the left turn signal switch's silicone cover was deformed and out of place.

I'll report back after I get the switch.
post #25 of 27 Old Jun 20th, 2019, 8:46 am

There were some reports of the cam on the throttle body cracking but I believe it was the previous gen bikes,maybe 08 or 09. if you still have the panels off, check the throttle plates for movement. Pull back the tubes so you can see inside the throttle body. Slowly twist the throttle with the engine off. Do they both move about the same ?
post #26 of 27 Old Jun 20th, 2019, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob03RT View Post
There were some reports of the cam on the throttle body cracking but I believe it was the previous gen bikes,maybe 08 or 09. if you still have the panels off, check the throttle plates for movement. Pull back the tubes so you can see inside the throttle body. Slowly twist the throttle with the engine off. Do they both move about the same ?

This is covered well by dirt rider in the BMW Sport Touring forum. Itís a function of age and temperature. Mine went in 5 years. Most seem to have issues later than that but I live in AZ. Itís poor quality plastic and really poor choice of materials.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #27 of 27 Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 9:38 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

I have some updates on the electrical issues:

1) The new switch https://www.ebay.com/itm/264358269842 completely fixed all of my known electrical problems, except for the radio.
2) The PY21W LEDs https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NBR4BGH work very well, and I'd like to find an otherwise identical white P21W bulb that will work as a tail/brake/license plate light. Amazon doesn't make it easy.
3) I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RMRCC3 to repair the rodent damage. The buttons light up, the accessory socket delivers 12V & the iPod connector even charges an iPad, but still no radio function. The buttons do nothing, so there may be damage elsewhere.

This afternoon I am going to change the spark plugs. It's definitely due for it, and it can't hurt.

I am going to start a new thread regarding my clutch. I have decided to go big or go home, and do the service myself over July 4th weekend.
alegerlotz likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in