BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Almost ready to possibly begin to sort of get ready to sell the bike...

4K views 58 replies 21 participants last post by  PadG 
#1 ·
Almost time to begin to think about maybe sort-of selling the bike.... (it's an emotional thing...)

The bike is a 2014, R1200RT- fewer than 9,000 miles. all the desired accessories, (Peg Lowering Kit, Front and Rear Side Bars, Factory Low Seat, never dropped/damaged, 49 L Top case from my '05 RT- which fits perfectly and has the Keys.) Full Audio and GPS all work perfectly. No issues- New tires- fewer than 200 miles on the Pirelli Angel 2's. Matt Silver in color.

What sources/sites/services do you like for realistic prices?

May or may not go something else, probably not...

Thoughts and comments welcomed..

#2 ·
Kinda sorta sounds like your mind is made up . . . go for it!

#4 ·
Hi Neighbor,

If you decide to continue to ride this bike is really nice if you like riding in the hills (that is, not droning on the slab a whole lot as it's not quite as nice as your RTW would be in this regard). I owned one for 23K miles and loved it greatly and people do tour on them for certain, and love it! loved the zero maintenance, clean quiet belt drive. Very low maintenance, quite zippy and not too far off from RT for P:W ratio, much lighter than RTW at 470lbs, and wonderful handling. Some police departments are using them. You can get them for a great price as well, like this incredible deal in Snowmass, CO. Geez I wish I needed a new bike!

Immaculate condition a must see! Like-new with only 2,434 miles! Heated grips, ABS & auto stability control, tire pressure monitoring system, detachable & lockable BMW touring cases, OEM regular & low seat options included, Also included size large Schuberth helmet, BMW specific battery charger, & motorcycle cover.

#5 ·
UPDATE- Well, after a talk with my wife... I did it this morning... posted it on Craigslist-Colorado Springs, CO.

I will also look at the other options... anyone with interest feel free to contact me.

Bob

#8 ·
Too soon to tell, but there comes a time.... to think about it.

#9 ·
I have to say that I am sorry to see you selling your RT Bob! However, you are just a couple of years older than I am, and I have been thinking along the same line as you, as said above! That's why, I am deciding to buy the 1250RT next year, and that will most likely be my last bike. I DO love to travel, and so I will probably get a camper van after that! :)

#10 ·
Time waits for no man... or so I have heard.

I am planning to continue riding- but probably only vicariously by continuing to make snappy retorts on the various M/C boards...

Reactions: PadG
#13 ·
My father in law is 85. Still rides his 15 RT every day here in PA when possiable.

We did a 700 mile day on the way to the National last year. We are going to this years also.

It is good genes, fortunate with good health. but keeping active seems to be the ticket.

Some of us who have had traumatic injury's multiple times in out life are not going to make 85 years old and still riding.

Reactions: NoelCP
#14 ·
Hopefully, I will be able to ride for another 10+ years yet! :) One thing that I will not do is to go 3-wheels of any sorts.

#17 ·
I admire the man, it isn’t just the physical ability but the mental attitude that is keeping that man on two wheels. My father lived to be 91 with no major health issues, sadly the last 7 or so years of his life he totally disengaged from everything that had brought him joy. It was sad to watch, so far I share his physical well being and hope that I continue to pursue interests that give me a feeling of fulfilment till the end. It doesn’t need to be motorcycling but something that makes me want to get out of bed in the morning is needed.

All the best

Gerhard

#20 ·
Bob. I see your ad on Craigslist. Nice looking bike and I'm very tempted. I know you and I know the bike has been well cared for. I currently have a 2015 1200 GS which I have never really bonded with. Something about the ergonomics makes my artificial shoulder hurt. Probably the wide, flat bars. Plus, despite trying a number of windshields, I just can't make it an RT as far as wind protection goes. I've had 3 RT's ( two of them I owned twice after buying them back ), and you just can't beat the RT for the type of riding I do.

Hope all is well with you and Suzy. ( not sure if that's how she spells her name ) I hate to see you giving up riding, but there comes a time for everyone. I'm not quite there yet, but I admit the bikes seem to be getting heavier every day.

All the best. -Alton ( in Ogden )

#21 ·
Hello Al...

Tell you what... I would love to see you again... Let's chat this thing up. I would look forward to ridding it over to some meeting place- like Torrey, UT?

#23 ·
Whoa ... Hopz and Ponch both ... two guys I've never met but feel I know and whose opinions I have come to respect over several years. Sorry to hear you are at a point that requires even considering walking away from something I believe both of you love and that has been a significant passion in your lives. I know how difficult that time will be for me personally, I'm sure it isn't a decision made lightly. The respect continues.

#25 ·
Hopz ole friend, how long since you threw a leg over the saddle? I have taken a year and once three off of riding. So if you are thinking you might not be totally ready to quit, put it on the center stand for now. Nothing in the rule book says you can't take two 10 mile rides per summer.

#26 ·
Hello Teach... good to see your name on the board again...

Still thinking about selling the RT- this post regards this rash of on-line ads from Motorcycle buying service/agencies.

I have not named them/it here but curious if anyone has any experience or has heard comments on how they work and are they honest, etc.?
One of those too good to be true deals?

#27 ·
Thanks folks... there comes a time... and this is mine.

The bike is for sale and we are ready. Listed to two of the major sales sites... but had a "mysterious" contact via text about the bike.

Obvious scam... I played him out a bit. He claimed to be a soldier in the Army on deployment and he wanted to buy the bike, sight*unseen, and at the asking price- immediately offered to send the full amount to my PayPal account. If course PP has the Seller's guarantee to protect you- but there is some very fine print that the protection does not apply to "vehicles"...

After only a small bit of questioning and finding real issues his story, he unraveled. I pushed him away. For instance he said he was Army. Well, unfortunately for him, I was Army back in the day. He could not answer the basic question... such as his MOS (military occupational specialty ). He sent a photo of a military ID. which was of a clean shaved middle aged white guy. I insisted on a phone call and he *of course had a strong accent,*was of some foreign extraction and clearly not an Anglo-Saxon guy. He went away to pick on others...
Sellers Beware...

Reactions: Pabst
#29 ·
Patience is a virtue, fortunately you don't have to sell. Haven't recently let go of my 60/5 and my Z3 Coupe, I was able to get my price but not being in a hurry. Good luck on the sale.

#31 · (Edited)
I recently sold my 12 rt, I had it listed on craigslist and cycle trader, the buyer came from cycletrader.

the scam I kept getting was from craigslist. I would get an email or text asking questions, saying they were interested then asking if I had a "report" for them??? (I know for autos Carfax is popular, I have never seen a bike report)

here is where the "scam" comes in, the "interested party" sends me a link to buy a report from a company they recommend … and I have never heard of any of the names in the links. (and I NEVER click on links some random person sends me)

My standard response to any and all questions became "when would you like to come and see the bike?" this is why we advertise with full description and many clear photographs, the only thing left is to bring cash and see it in person!!

The first person to come over and see it bought it with cash. No need for internet/text "pen pals" when the buyer has done his homework and knows you are selling what he wants to buy.

Reactions: CaptJDavis
#34 · (Edited)
I receive at least 2-3 of those type of responses for everything I listed on Craigslist with a value over $100...

I love how they try their scam in a dramatic setting while hoping that will trick the seller.
I listed my 2018 RT on Craigslist and one of the responses was from "another" of those Army guys claims to be based in Afghanistan.

He stated his claim as " I am currently defending our democracy and freedom here in Afghanistan and I'd like to buy your bike as a gift for my brother who lives in Alabama. I'll send you a cashiers check for $21,000 then for shipping a $1,000 and for all your troubles another additional $500. A friend of mine will come to inspect and pickup the bike with his truck."

First, it was too bad he didn't explain what was my troubles were about?
Then I told him to tell his friend that the bike is parked in a very safe spot at my work place which is the parking lot of Los Banos Police Department and sent him the picture below:

Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Mode of transport Car

I never heard again from the defender of our Democracy and Freedom!
:wink:

#38 ·
Didn't Honda showed one?

Nonetheless, the 2 front wheels won't hold up the bike!! :)

#56 ·
WOW very nice! And one of my favorite RT colors. Wish I were in the market. Good luck with the sale.

Hope you find something to fill the void. I know I have often wondered what I would do if I had to hang up my helmet. Honestly I think I would go the Corvette route if not Burgman or Can-Am.

Oh ... and I have had much less scam stuff from Cycle Trader than Craigs List.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.