1200RTW lowering foot pegs - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By N00bie RT Gawd
  • 1 Post By AlaninBC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2019, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

Question 1200RTW lowering foot pegs

Greetings- Does anyone have the Knight Design lowering foot pegs installed ?

KD BMW R1200RT, R1200RTW Foot Pegs

Are you happy with them , Quality seems good ? Price is better than other types. But cheep isn’t always a good thing.

I had IliumWorks on my previous 2012 RT that got totaled. I am in the process of getting this one dialed in , so I ride all day in comfort. I need a little more leg room.
Thanks

Speed doesn't kill - Sudden impact does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2019, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

Re: 1200RTW lowering foot pegs

KD BMW R1200RT, R1200RTW Foot Pegs
Here is the link

post #3 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2019, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Correction, I had the Suburban Machinery one on my 2012.

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2019, 5:31 pm

Garage

FWIW...

I installed the Wunderlich lowered footpegs on my '16 RT. They were expensive then and probably more so now. Their version uses the stock foot pegs. The kit works by installing an adapter on the bike's footpeg bracket and then reinstalling the OEM footpeg to the bracket. The kit not only lowers the pegs, but moves them forward as well.

The kit includes an adapter plate to relocate the rear brake master cylinder; no adjustment was needed for me on that. I did adjust the gear pedal a bit, however.

I have been through the Dragon and several other roads similar to it and have not scrapped the pegs once.

Link

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2019, 3:08 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
FWIW...

I installed the Wunderlich lowered footpegs on my '16 RT. They were expensive then and probably more so now. Their version uses the stock foot pegs. The kit works by installing an adapter on the bike's footpeg bracket and then reinstalling the OEM footpeg to the bracket. The kit not only lowers the pegs, but moves them forward as well.

The kit includes an adapter plate to relocate the rear brake master cylinder; no adjustment was needed for me on that. I did adjust the gear pedal a bit, however.

I have been through the Dragon and several other roads similar to it and have not scrapped the pegs once.

Link
I have these on order as well just waiting for them to arrive. I also chose the Wunderlich Bar Risers which I think look a lot neater from what's on offer.
The reason Wunderlich gear is expensive is they carry German engineering certification. This gives peace of mind they have been independently tested and approved.
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2019, 6:04 am

Garage

Hello,
I have the Knight Design pegs on my bike and the install video is below.

This was one of the first upgrades, along with a seat, for my '16 RT. (I'm on my 3rd aftermarket seat, Sargent, Laam, now RDL)
I'm 6'2" and 34 inseam and these 2 really helped my knees.

I also have Ilium bar risers with an AeroFlow Tall windscreen and AeroWings that really have dialed in this bike for comfort.
The most recent change really solved every aspect of comfortable all day riding for me...the Russell Day Long seat...

2016 R1200RT
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2019, 8:43 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxflyer View Post
Hello,
I have the Knight Design pegs on my bike and the install video is below.

This was one of the first upgrades, along with a seat, for my '16 RT. (I'm on my 3rd aftermarket seat, Sargent, Laam, now RDL)
I'm 6'2" and 34 inseam and these 2 really helped my knees.
Did you make any similar adjustments on the right side/rear brake lever??

'18 R1200RT
'12 F650GS Twin
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2019, 9:14 am

Garage

For the RH side I didn't make any adjustment. The linkage for the brake is not really adjustable for engagement height, just small movements.

An alternate, albeit somewhat pricey, is the Ilium adjustable brake lever. http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorc...30-600&pID=121

2016 R1200RT
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2019, 9:20 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox273 View Post
The reason Wunderlich gear is expensive is they carry German engineering certification. This gives peace of mind they have been independently tested and approved.
Actually, in my mind and experience, their quality-control is absolute shit.

It took me over 2 hours to get the right-side bracket installed. The reason is because the holes in the bracket were slightly off from the footpeg bracket. Their instructions are also somewhat difficult to follow because instead of using technical drawings to illustrate their point, they use small, full-color pictures which can muddle things. By comparison, it took about 15 minutes to install the bracket for the left side.

Their microflooters are complete shit, no two ways about it.

I have also installed their mirror adapters and Flash mirrors. The adapters come with a lot of parts with no instructions on what you're supposed to do, but eventually figure out. The mirrors are supposed to be adjustable in and out, but the fittings are so tight that you will think that you misread the description and think that they are fixed in place.

Their prices had dramatically increased in the past few months. Interestingly enough, it is MUCH less expensive to buy their stuff in the EU, but the US distributor seemingly doubles the price, or at least charges way more than exchange rates/shipping would suggest.
nhonnguyen61 likes this.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2019, 9:44 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxflyer View Post
For the RH side I didn't make any adjustment. The linkage for the brake is not really adjustable for engagement height, just small movements.

An alternate, albeit somewhat pricey, is the Ilium adjustable brake lever. http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorc...30-600&pID=121
I recommend Ilium's excellent brake lever. Overpriced, but worth it to me.

John D
2016 R1200RT
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Am I the only guy who has wondered for years why motorcycle manufacturers don't produce bikes, esp. in the BMW price range, that have some degree of adjustment in the bars, pegs, levers, seat angle, etc. built-in, to allow for better ergonomic setup? It would be unthinkable, for example, to buy a 5-series car and not be able to adjust the steering wheel and seat positions to suit the individual.
gmcnc likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I use Suburban.

Jeff Dean
Tucson, Arizona, & Madison, Wisconsin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founder, Madison (Wisconsin) BMW Club, #1 (1968)
Co-founder, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, #113 (1972)
Co-founder, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, #2 (1972)
Co-founder, Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, #1 (1979)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Chief Instructor (1994)
Friend of the Marque, BMW Clubs International Council (1999)
Prof. Gerhard Knöchlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
R1200RT • R1250RT • 1967 R60/2
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2019, 9:28 am

Garage

Got 'em. Love 'em. But had to replace the brake lever to be comfortable, and it was NOT cheap.

Ski

[/SIGPIC]2016 BMW R1200RT in Ebony Metallic
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2019, 8:06 am

My first modification on the new Wethead was to install the Suburban Machinery Peg Lowering kit.

I rescued mine from the sale of the '05 RT. I was nervous that the '05 set would not fit or something... but, it was about a 20 minute job- to make the installation. No issues- the physical was the same.

Yes, then a bit of fiddly work to adjust the Shift Lever. No- it was not hard, but then I learned how on the '05. You do spend some time on your back on the garage floor... The Brake lever does not adjustment but it will take you about 2 minutes to get used to the position of the brake lever. But then again... the '05 was just the same so maybe my foot was already trained to the location.

I like the Suburban kit...

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #15 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2019, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

Just order the .wunderlich kit that comes with the brake relocation. Last thing I want is to worry about the quality of the product.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in