• 1 Post By alegerlotz
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 5 Post By PadG
  • 3 Post By LAF
  • 2 Post By EzyMount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

'18 1200RT Throttle Cutting out

Having an issue on a 18 R1200RT with the throttle cutting out, it only happens when I give it gas to accelerate. Example - coming up to a turn, pull in the clutch to downshift, release clutch, apply gas and the bike shuts off as I am rolling. As soon as the clutch releases and throttle is applied, it cuts out and the bike dies. I have to fire it back up as Im rolling in whatever gear it is in and it always happens in the middle of turns or any time I'm slowing down and a light turns green and I attempt to take off. Either way, it happens at all the wrong times. The bike has no problem firing back up at all and no problems idling or starting.

Now before anyone chimes in saying take it to the dealer, my bike has 8k miles on it and I took it into the dealership about a month after buying it for this issue. They said usually its a vent hose that gets pinched or comes loose, so they checked the hoses and they were fine, everything looked good. Since they could not replicate it, there was nothing they could do...go figure. At that time, it had been happening maybe once a month or so, not often. So I kept on riding it with this mystery issue still happening as often as before.

Two weeks ago I took it in for the 6K and to check on this problem. I told the service writer that I was still having the same issue and asked to check it out. They finished the service/test ride and said that they had reset the throttle values or something like that, it sounded like some sort of software update to me. (I can't remember the exact term or process.) Anyway, they said that nothing out of the ordinary happened on the test ride and that the bike ran perfect. They also stated that usually whatever software update they did fixes that issue. Again, unable to replicate the problem, so nothing they can do. Before I left I pulled one of the techs aside and asked what the problem was and if it was common. He told me that it was fairly common and between the update and the vent hose issue mentioned before, those were the only fixes for it. Other than that, they don't know what causes it.

Well, now after this update, it has been doing more often. Having worked in service for MC dealers before, I know how the process goes. If they can't replicate it then they can't diagnose anything, if nothing obvious is the issue. I'm going to have to take it back and figure something out. I love my RT, but this one thing pisses me off to no end.

Anybody else experience this issue with the 14-up 1200s? My apologies for the long description, but I hate when someones posts the "My bike is making a funny noise! Please help!" and doesn't include details. Thanks for reading, any info would be a big help.
LuckyRT likes this.

Last edited by thesspirate; Apr 13th, 2019 at 4:06 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Re: '18 1200RT Throttle Cutting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesspirate View Post
Having an issue on a 18 R1200RT with the throttle cutting out, it only happens when I give it gas to accelerate. Example - coming up to a turn, pull in the clutch to downshift, release clutch, apply gas and the bike shuts off as I am rolling. As soon as the clutch releases and throttle is applied, it cuts out and the bike dies. I have to fire it back up as Im rolling in whatever gear it is in and it always happens in the middle of turns or any time I'm slowing down and a light turns green and I attempt to take off. Either way, it happens at all the wrong times. The bike has no problem firing back up at all and no problems idling or starting.

Now before anyone chimes in saying take it to the dealer, my bike has 8k miles on it and I took it into the dealership about a month after buying it for this issue. They said usually its a vent hose that gets pinched or comes loose, so they checked the hoses and they were fine, everything looked good. Since they could not replicate it, there was nothing they could do...go figure. At that time, it had been happening maybe once a month or so, not often. So I kept on riding it with this mystery issue still happening as often as before.

Two weeks ago I took it in for the 6K and to check on this problem. I told the service writer that I was still having the same issue and asked to check it out. They finished the service/test ride and said that they had reset the throttle values or something like that, it sounded like some sort of software update to me. (I can't remember the exact term or process.) Anyway, they said that nothing out of the ordinary happened on the test ride and that the bike ran perfect. They also stated that usually whatever software update they did fixes that issue. Again, unable to replicate the problem, so nothing they can do. Before I left I pulled one of the techs aside and asked what the problem was and if it was common. He told me that it was fairly common and between the update and the vent hose issue mentioned before, those were the only fixes for it. Other than that, they don't know what causes it.

Well, now after this update, it has been doing more often. Having worked in service for MC dealers before, I know how the process goes. If they can't replicate it then they can't diagnose anything, if nothing obvious is the issue. I'm going to have to take it back and figure something out. I love my RT, but this one thing pisses me off to no end.

Anybody else experience this issue with the 14-up 1200s? My apologies for the long description, but I hate when someones posts the "My bike is making a funny noise! Please help!" and doesn't include details. Thanks for reading, any info would be a big help.
If it was mine I would tell the dealer he has had long enough to fix it. Please give me a replacement bike.
PadG and Pabst like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous Bikes:

Honda VFR800 2011
Honda VFR1200 2012
post #3 of 25 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Question. You say it dies when you give it gas. Does it even start to accelerate? Not on an RT but had bike that died when I down shifted and was about to accelerate. The idle was set to low on that bike. I would think the bike would throw a code if it was an abnormal event. If not then what is happening may look to the bike like a normal event like hitting the kill switch. Side stand switch maybe. I have a k1600 not an RT so maybe some have seen this. I did have an issue where I lost throttle control like a broken throttle cable. The engine was still running but it would not accelerate. You don't want that happening in 70 mph traffic in the fast lane. Software update plus check of connections to fix. I have my fingers crossed.

Just a note on my problem. Dealer could not reproduce the problem but changed a a couple values on TPS or something and told me to come pick it up. I called the General Manager and pointed out seriousness involved if this happen at the wrong time. Long story short the bmw rep recommended the updated software as some cop bike have had the problem. They didn't say switch bike but I suspect it was on RT's with a very similar ride by wire technology that's on my 2018 k1600.
LuckyRT likes this.

Last edited by Dave Willdo; Apr 13th, 2019 at 5:08 pm. Reason: more detail

post #4 of 25 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 5:35 pm

That is indeed an odd one. Mine had a quirk when shifting the accelerator jumped the bike. Part my fault of putting pressure on the gear shift lever before pulling in the clutch and leaving some pressure afterward , thus activating the throttle control on the auto shift function. Thru time I stopped doing that and it greatly changed the smoothness of the shift. They also did an update that was to correct auto shift functions. I have a 14. It seemed to help some.

I am saying this as a possibility that either the auto shift lever is out of adjustment or possibly when you down shift you are activating the device by pressure on the shifter, then using the clutch causing a quick lowering of throttle. When you pull in the clutch the computer is trying to lower throttle speed as you want to increase. Still it should never cut out. I do not think it would be the vent hose or I would occur upon hard acceleration on on ramps.

Just my humble uneducated opinion.
post #5 of 25 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 7:45 pm

I have heard of this on the GS before and it ended up being the wiring connection at the throttle being bad.These are fly by wire throttles. It is worth checking.

Ron
beech and alegerlotz like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #6 of 25 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 11:35 pm

Quote:
Having an issue on a 18 R1200RT with the throttle cutting out
I wonder if you might have water-contaminated fuel. Try some HEET or other methanol treatment. I had starting and running troubles for a couple of tanks since picking up bad gas from presumably one Chevron station and it didn't improve after filling up w/ fresh gas from another station. Right after adding methanol the problem quickly resolved and never returned.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #7 of 25 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 2:25 am

My Ducati will do that occasionally, it's dangerous! Fuel starvation, no spark, throttle sensor, control module or ECM? What he said above too^^^^^^ I just put this link here in case you don't know how it works.
thesspirate likes this.

Last edited by Pabst; Apr 14th, 2019 at 2:33 am.
post #8 of 25 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Willdo View Post
Question. You say it dies when you give it gas. Does it even start to accelerate? Not on an RT but had bike that died when I down shifted and was about to accelerate. The idle was set to low on that bike. I would think the bike would throw a code if it was an abnormal event. If not then what is happening may look to the bike like a normal event like hitting the kill switch. Side stand switch maybe. I have a k1600 not an RT so maybe some have seen this. I did have an issue where I lost throttle control like a broken throttle cable. The engine was still running but it would not accelerate. You don't want that happening in 70 mph traffic in the fast lane. Software update plus check of connections to fix. I have my fingers crossed.

Just a note on my problem. Dealer could not reproduce the problem but changed a a couple values on TPS or something and told me to come pick it up. I called the General Manager and pointed out seriousness involved if this happen at the wrong time. Long story short the bmw rep recommended the updated software as some cop bike have had the problem. They didn't say switch bike but I suspect it was on RT's with a very similar ride by wire technology that's on my 2018 k1600.
It does not start to accelerate at all, as soon as the throttle moves, it dies as is if I just hit the kill switch.
post #9 of 25 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 12:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadriderg View Post
That is indeed an odd one. Mine had a quirk when shifting the accelerator jumped the bike. Part my fault of putting pressure on the gear shift lever before pulling in the clutch and leaving some pressure afterward , thus activating the throttle control on the auto shift function. Thru time I stopped doing that and it greatly changed the smoothness of the shift. They also did an update that was to correct auto shift functions. I have a 14. It seemed to help some.

I am saying this as a possibility that either the auto shift lever is out of adjustment or possibly when you down shift you are activating the device by pressure on the shifter, then using the clutch causing a quick lowering of throttle. When you pull in the clutch the computer is trying to lower throttle speed as you want to increase. Still it should never cut out. I do not think it would be the vent hose or I would occur upon hard acceleration on on ramps.

Just my humble uneducated opinion.
This is a very good suggestion, I went back down to the dealer yesterday after I posted this thread. Since my bike is also equipped with the auto shift (AS for short), the writer asked me if I was rev matching myself instead of using the AS. He said that I should just use the AS instead of rev matching because the the system is getting confused between me blipping the throttle and the computer automatically rev matching when the shifter is engaged and that its likely that the bike is freaking out and doesn't know what to do so it just dies. Either way, if it is my own error, that's fine with me. The engine still should not cut out and completely shut off. Plus, it still dies even when I don't rev match myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz View Post
I have heard of this on the GS before and it ended up being the wiring connection at the throttle being bad.These are fly by wire throttles. It is worth checking.

Ron
I though the same thing with the electronic throttle, that would be the first place I would start checking.
post #10 of 25 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
If it was mine I would tell the dealer he has had long enough to fix it. Please give me a replacement bike.
After speaking with service, (details above) Im going to take it out for a while today and just use the auto shifter function 100% of the time instead of rev matching myself and see if that eliminates the issue. If it is my own error, then problem solved. if not, they're going to keep it to do some long test rides and give me a loaner.
Pabst likes this.
post #11 of 25 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Garage

Quote:
...doesn't know what to do so it just dies. Either way, if it is my own error, that's fine with me. The engine still should not cut out and completely shut off. Plus, it still dies even when I don't rev match myself.
"it only happens when I give it gas to accelerate. Example - coming up to a turn, pull in the clutch to downshift, release clutch, apply gas and the bike shuts off as I am rolling. As soon as the clutch releases and throttle is applied, it cuts out and the bike dies."

Unless you're bumping the kill switch or stalling by dumping the clutch at low speed in 6th there is no reason for the engine to die. The throttle brain should never get confused so I think something is defective and it's not you.
Pabst likes this.

John D
2016 R1200RT
post #12 of 25 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Garage

Did you install bar risers on the bike? If so, check the connection to the throttle on the bottom of the right grip. Hell, even if you didn't install risers, check it anyway. A loose connection there has been responsible for some odd behaviors.

Good luck!
beech likes this.

2016 R1200RT
2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
1987 K100RS (12/2015 - 12/2016)
1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)
post #13 of 25 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Quote:
Having an issue on a 18 R1200RT with the throttle cutting out, it only happens when I give it gas to accelerate. Example - coming up to a turn, pull in the clutch to downshift, release clutch, apply gas and the bike shuts off as I am rolling. As soon as the clutch releases and throttle is applied, it cuts out and the bike dies. I have to fire it back up as Im rolling in whatever gear it is in and it always happens in the middle of turns or any time I'm slowing down . . . the bike has no problem firing back up at all and no problems idling or starting. . . . . . .
I've got the same problem on my 2016 S1000RR. In my case (and mind) it's linked to the beginning of a ride . . . before the machine has really heated up.

Dave Willdo suggested "the idle being set too low" and that's what I'll put to the service dpt. when I take the bike in. On one of the S1000RR Forums there's a lot of talk about a "throttle mechanism" issue causing the problem . . but the issue is far from being resolved.

(I'll be reading-over this thread carefully when I get the chance)
post #14 of 25 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digtlartst View Post
"it only happens when I give it gas to accelerate. Example - coming up to a turn, pull in the clutch to downshift, release clutch, apply gas and the bike shuts off as I am rolling. As soon as the clutch releases and throttle is applied, it cuts out and the bike dies."

Unless you're bumping the kill switch or stalling by dumping the clutch at low speed in 6th there is no reason for the engine to die. The throttle brain should never get confused so I think something is defective and it's not you.
I agree with you. After doing a 60 miles or so today, it died on me once and I was just strictly using the quick shifter all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
Did you install bar risers on the bike? If so, check the connection to the throttle on the bottom of the right grip. Hell, even if you didn't install risers, check it anyway. A loose connection there has been responsible for some odd behaviors.

Good luck!
No bar risers on the bike, but I am going to check the connection when I get some time tomorrow.
post #15 of 25 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRT View Post
I've got the same problem on my 2016 S1000RR. In my case (and mind) it's linked to the beginning of a ride . . . before the machine has really heated up.

Dave Willdo suggested "the idle being set too low" and that's what I'll put to the service dpt. when I take the bike in. On one of the S1000RR Forums there's a lot of talk about a "throttle mechanism" issue causing the problem . . but the issue is far from being resolved.

(I'll be reading-over this thread carefully when I get the chance)
Thats interesting, I'm only having the issue when the bike is at operating temp.
post #16 of 25 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 10:55 pm

I'd like to through a rock in the mess, first sorry for your hassles. I suspect cam timing is off. The first check is 12K miles, might be worth doing it sooner. Wished you lived in Seattle, I'd do it for you for the interest in the problem.
LAF likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #17 of 25 Old Apr 15th, 2019, 7:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
. . . . .Since my bike is also equipped with the auto shift (AS for short), the writer asked me if I was rev matching myself instead of using the AS. He said that I should just use the AS instead of rev matching because the the system is getting confused between me blipping the throttle and the computer automatically rev matching when the shifter is engaged and that its likely that the bike is freaking out and doesn't know what to do so it just dies. . . . . .
This is a very big bunch of horse doo doo!!!! Why do some dealers have to give such BS answers when they don't know, nor seem to care, as to what the problem is! This can be quite dangerous, and so you need to put your foot down with that dealer . . . very hard! Go on record with them that the problem could be hazardous, and see if they will respnd any better and REALLY look at your problem!
LAF, beech, Dave Willdo and 2 others like this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #18 of 25 Old Apr 15th, 2019, 8:28 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thats interesting, I'm only having the issue when the bike is at operating temp.
Where are you located. If near me I would check your cams and your cam position sensor on the left side cam.

I know I would call BMW NA and tell them if you die your estate is going to sue starting at 20 million because you have made the dealer aware of it multiple times.

And just for grins and giggles I would send the dealer a certified letter stating the issue, the times, the times you had it in for checks, and any other thing involving the issue. That way you and the dealer know they received the information and from then on it is on them as to what happens.

I would sure file a complaint at the National level for safety issues. https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

I would then make BMW NA and the dealer know you have filed the complaint due to "no action" on their part.
NoelCP, wetboxerrt and Pabst like this.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #19 of 25 Old Apr 15th, 2019, 10:04 am

My 2018 RT did exactly the same thing, no help from the dealer. That is another reason i'm riding a 2019 R1250RT now
post #20 of 25 Old Apr 15th, 2019, 10:21 am

Yes, one of the big issues in today’s world, ‘lack of accountability and stricter enforcement’. That is why we must take extra steps, as described, to make sure there are adequate records, proof of those records and subsequent ‘recorded/verified’ notifications.... we the consumers make their profits, as a business possible. They should in all cases take appropriate actions, especially when our safety is at potential risk ! Don’t get me started !
LAF and wetboxerrt like this.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #21 of 25 Old Apr 15th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcklindave View Post
My 2018 RT did exactly the same thing, no help from the dealer. That is another reason i'm riding a 2019 R1250RT now
Was it A&S?

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #22 of 25 Old Apr 18th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Same problem here. 2018 stock RT. Engine doesn’t die, but when up-shifting, particularly with some sporty riding, the engine bogs/hesitates/drops RPM’s, then after a second or so, RPM’s increase and the bike accelerates. Had it to the dealer twice—couldn’t duplicate the issue. It is a real safety hazard, since when you expect acceleration and being “pushed back”, the bike slows and you are “pushed forward”.

I asked the dealer to have one of the techs take the bike for a “sporty” long ride, and again told couldn’t duplicate the problem. I don’t like to use the auto shift function, so can’t really say if it does the same, but will give it a try. Weather here in Chicago just getting into riding season.

Now that I’ve seen this thread, I will refer the dealer to this and be a bit more insistent that there is a problem. We shall see where we go.

Thanks to the community for sharing your experiences. Please keep us posted. I have owned several BMW bikes (and cars) and I expect better from the company.

John
post #23 of 25 Old Yesterday, 8:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

John, if you had said that the problem that you had experienced was with using the Shift-Assist Pro, then I would have suggested to you that you have the dealer look at that. However, since you are talking about "manual" shifting, then it is possibly a different issue, and yes, it can be dangerous, even if it's not quite as bad as having the thing die on you completely!

Just an FYI, the SAP actually cuts the ignition for just a tiny bit to work, and normally you can't feel that when you use the feature. I can sometimes detect that very slight hesitation, when I ride hard out of a corner, and was a little "lazy" in the up-shifting into 6th (usually around 75+ mph). What I mean by "lazy" is that if I hold the shift lever up for too long, as compared to normal action of just snapping into gear and immediately letting the lever go. NOTE in particular that this applies to using the SAP feature, which I do all the time, and happens only occasionally. The hesitation does NOT happen on normal manual shifts using the clutch lever.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #24 of 25 Old Yesterday, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcklindave View Post
My 2018 RT did exactly the same thing, no help from the dealer. That is another reason I'm riding a 2019 R1250RT now

I'd be riding anything other than a BMW if mine did that. (well, not a Ducati, because mine did do that)
post #25 of 25 Old Yesterday, 1:27 pm

Garage

Interesting.
I have an '18 RT, purchased it just a year ago.
I have not had this issue.
I did install bar backs, and did have the throttle unplugged. I put a dab of electrical bulb grease on it more out of habit than anything else.
No issues at all like you described.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in