'19 R1250RT: Factory Velcro on Fairings? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PadG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 9:48 am Thread Starter

'19 R1250RT: Factory Velcro on Fairings?

Starting my first installation on my new R1250RT this morning: a set of Denali D4s and CanSmart controller. Taking the fairings off to install the brackets I was trying to be extremely careful not to break the dreaded tabs. I found the two posts in rubber grommets and gently popped them out, and tried lifting up and back gently but the panel wouldn't budge. I pushed, tugged, etc. fearing I would break the tabs. Suddenly it popped and I was sure I snapped a tab. I hadn't - all tabs are intact, but there was a square of Velcro on the back that no post I had ever read mentioned.

So my question: is this a new factory feature or a dealer-added surprise they forgot to tell me about? Anyone else with a 1250 experience this? Guessing by the sloppy positioning on the inside of the fairing panel, I'm betting this was a dealer add. As I said, tabs are intact on both sides so it's not because someone broke tabs during assembly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 10:14 am

My late 16 also has them. I ended up adding another in a location close to my broken tabs on my left side, to keep the rear top corner down.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 10:30 am Thread Starter

Re: '19 R1250RT: Factory Velcro on Fairings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount View Post
My late 16 also has them. I ended up adding another in a location close to my broken tabs on my left side, to keep the rear top corner down.
That's good to know. I guess it's a "feature."

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 10:39 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Yes we talked about it here a bit ago.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...nt-panels.html

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 6:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, it's BMW's crummy "fix" for the lousy tabs that we were complaining about ever since when the wethead RT came out! I still give the credit of using the velcro to hopz (member of this board) who used the idea to take care of the broken tabs on his (then) new '14 wethead! The really annoying thing about that particular episode was that the tabs were broken by the dealer who refused to owe up to doing it, even though they were the only people who had worked on the bike at the time!
LAF likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Yeah, it's BMW's crummy "fix" for the lousy tabs that we were complaining about ever since when the wethead RT came out! I still give the credit of using the velcro to hopz (member of this board) who used the idea to take care of the broken tabs on his (then) new '14 wethead! The really annoying thing about that particular episode was that the tabs were broken by the dealer who refused to owe up to doing it, even though they were the only people who had worked on the bike at the time!
I think the crummy part is that it isn't obvious how to remove and replace the panels so that they aren't compromised. Once you understand how they work they are really perfectly adequate to do what they do and they won't break. IOW, they're not all that fragile, but because of how they're employed it's easy to apply leverage and snap one or two off if you're not certain how to grapple with them. Because of stories about this issue when I bought my '16 new I asked the dealer's senior BMW certified mechanic to demonstrate to me how to R&R the fairing panels and he summarily broke both tabs off on one side during the demonstration--he simply FIRST pushed the pins into their grommets, then he took the heel of his hand and smashed the top towards the fuel tank, as if the tabs were nubs that needed to be snapped into place. They ordered the paint-matched replacement. I'm sure he never made that mistake again!

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 9:29 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Yes BMW stole Hopz idea

But as we have established by 15 they were putting Velcro (dual lock) on some RT's and later RT's to follow.

I did/do not get it. I mean fairing screws all over the place why not two there instead of tabs?

It is in fact a very poor design as far as accessing behind that panel. Yes it holds the panel but is a piss poor design no matter how much lipstick you put on it.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 12:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hey, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they do monitor these forums!!!

BTW, all of my tabs are intact still. It's not hard to make sure that they aren't under stress when taking the panel off. OTOH, I am afraid that the velcro would make me put too much efforts into getting the two parts disengaged and therefore accidentally break the tabs! Oh, well, we shall see when I get my 1250!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF View Post
Yes BMW stole Hopz idea

But as we have established by 15 they were putting Velcro (dual lock) on some RT's and later RT's to follow.

I did/do not get it. I mean fairing screws all over the place why not two there instead of tabs?

It is in fact a very poor design as far as accessing behind that panel. Yes it holds the panel but is a piss poor design no matter how much lipstick you put on it.
Going to install my D2 lights and crash bars in the next couple of weeks, so I'll let you know if I stuff the tabs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in