R1100RT new exhaust question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

R1100RT new exhaust question

Thinking of replacing the original existing exhaust from the cat back to the muffler to an aftermarket one that comes with a straight pipe to eliminate the cat altogether. So, besides the nicer growl, without the cat i know the motor will run cooler. Question is will the bike run ok, fueling etc or will i run into problems. O2 sensor? Has anyone gone the route with direct feedback? Thanks

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 R1100RT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 12th, 2019, 3:41 am

Re: R1100RT new exhaust question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil View Post
Thinking of replacing the original existing exhaust from the cat back to the muffler to an aftermarket one that comes with a straight pipe to eliminate the cat altogether. So, besides the nicer growl, without the cat i know the motor will run cooler. Question is will the bike run ok, fueling etc or will i run into problems. O2 sensor? Has anyone gone the route with direct feedback? Thanks

If we are talking about the R1100 / R1150 series, I would advise against the changing of the stock pipe for an aftermarket one. These bikes have always worked better with the OEM pipe and most attempts at change leave the bike with holes in the power band. Eliminating the Cat is also not the best idea.

I don't have any problem with good aftermarket pipes, but on this bike, not so much!

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 12th, 2019, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
If we are talking about the R1100 / R1150 series, I would advise against the changing of the stock pipe for an aftermarket one. These bikes have always worked better with the OEM pipe and most attempts at change leave the bike with holes in the power band. Eliminating the Cat is also not the best idea.

I don't have any problem with good aftermarket pipes, but on this bike, not so much!
Is your opinion from personal experience? Why is removing the cat a bad move? Weight and a cooler running engine is a good thing right?

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 15th, 2019, 5:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil View Post
Is your opinion from personal experience? Why is removing the cat a bad move? Weight and a cooler running engine is a good thing right?
Yes, my experience and also the experience of many others.
It has a negative effect on performance. As for the weight and the heat, well the heat has never caused an issue on the Oilheads. As for the weight, It is so low down it may even have a positive effect on the centre of balance of the bike.

Again, can I suggest you post this on the dedicated Oilhead section of the BMWST forum and you will get a much more focused response.

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/forum/16-oilheads/

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 15th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Speaking from an Australian point of view - Our R1100's did not have a CAT (or CAT code plug) fitted, so I can't help you there. I owned a few RT's, and they all benefitted from an exhaust pipe change in parallel with GS intake tubes. It transformed the bike, improving all-over tractability, low-down pickup and most of all - minimised the well known surging of the engine around 3000rpm. The only way to eliminate it completely was a good throttle body synch, but that's a different story.

The pipe I used was an Australian 'Staintune' brand.

Nine out of five pilots are lysdexic.
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 15th, 2019, 11:50 pm

Every BMW I've changed (5) lost low end torque, had flat spots and always ended up going back to stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in