5Likes
  • 3 Post By 6speedTi
  • 1 Post By RJPsRT
  • 1 Post By Grumpy_Squatch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 7:29 am Thread Starter

Running power into top case

Hi all - I am new here. Great forum!
I have a R1250RT and would like to run power into the top case so that I can charge my mobile while on the road. I can't believe the case doesn't come with USB ports given it's wired up already for the brake light. Anyway, I don't want to use things like the GIVI powerhub or the Optimate tank backpack power supply as it's too bulky on the inside. I think I just want to run an SAE cable from the DIN socket into the top case. Has anybody done anything like this and can the top case be dismantled easily so that I can hide the wires between the inner and outer walls? I am nervous about screwing it up so all help or pointers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Markus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 8:22 am

Re: Running power into top case

Quote:
Originally Posted by markimark View Post
I have a R1250RT and would like to run power into the top case so that I can charge my mobile while on the road. I can't believe the case doesn't come with USB ports given it's wired up already for the brake light. Anyway, I don't want to use things like the GIVI powerhub or the Optimate tank backpack power supply as it's too bulky on the inside. I think I just want to run an SAE cable from the DIN socket into the top case. Has anybody done anything like this and can the top case be dismantled easily so that I can hide the wires between the inner and outer walls? I am nervous about screwing it up so all help or pointers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Markus
Can you not charge from the righthand glove compartment?

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 8:29 am Thread Starter

No, I don't have a right hand glove compartment as I didn't go for the radio kit.

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 11:14 am

A simpler way would be to plug into the power outlet and store the phone in a tank bag.
AttackPug, wArt and alegerlotz like this.
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 6:39 pm

I've read about people running wires into the top case when wiring up a brake light other than the BMW one, but I imagine the same strategies would apply for other power wires. Most of the installs I've read about warn against trying to fish wires through the stock harness. An example from a 1600 forum here: https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...topcase-2.html. The consensus I read says people taking their time take about 3 hours to disassemble the top case, separate the halves, and get to the wiring harness. If you search for auxiliary brake light installs in the top case, you'll find other threads.

Rumor has it that if you don't have the aux brake light installed, there are two wires behind the faceplate already run to the case. One is +12V when the brake is applied, the other is ground. One strategy, if the wires are of sufficient gauge to handle the current of the charger, and if you don't ever want the brake light, might be to cut the brake light wire before the connector, and connect that to a suitable 12V source. Then tap into the harness inside the top case with your charging socket. That way the whole thing still disconnects easily if you want to pull the top case.
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 8:36 pm

Quote:

Cheers
Markus
I purchased a like-new used GTL case for my '14 RT and made my own running/brake/turn light for the space that was designed for the OEM brake light. It appeared from posts on K1600forum.com that taking apart the bottom half of the case (splitting the interior and exterior shells) is a bitch because of the pistons and c-clips, but taking apart the top half involves just removing a bunch of screws. I created a completely separate wiring harness for the running/brake/turn light and was able to run it along side the stock harness. If you remove the rubber boot at the bottom of the case where the stock harness enters, you can (with a lot of effort, or less if you get lucky) fish a coat hanger along side the stock harness (I approached it from the top rather than from the bottom) to pull wires through (I shrink wrapped all the wires into a single cable). I then used some split woven nylon cable wrap to combine the stock harness and my lighting harness into a single harness from where it exited the bottom half of the case to underneath the seat for a cleaner look. Here are some pics which show a little of what I'm talking about: https://photos.app.goo.gl/LyH24XUpZBoSNJsG9

I don't know if there is enough space between the inner and outer shells of the top half of the case to flush mount a USB port so that you don't have wires going into the interior of the case itself but there might be. I have seen pictures on K1600forum.com of a flush mounted Powerlet or USB port placed into the bottom half of the case but that, of course, meant splitting the bottom half of the case which I didn't want to do. A lot of GTL owners have powered their top case. If you go to K1600forum.com and search, you will find lots of posts, with pictures and advice/instructions regarding splitting the bottom half of the top case if you wanted to take that on. I believe the GTL top case is identical to the RT case except for the back rest padding.

Mike

Last edited by mfreeland; Apr 11th, 2019 at 9:06 pm.
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 10:40 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedTi View Post
A simpler way would be to plug into the power outlet and store the phone in a tank bag.
For some reason the "Like Button" doesn't work on my browser any more but I use the tank bag to charge on the road if I have to.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2019, 3:45 am

Quote:
I have a R1250RT and would like to run power into the top case so that I can charge my mobile while on the road.
There is already power in the case for the internal lamp.
You may be able to do something with that, but you may need to wrestle with the case to get to the cables to spur off from them.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2019, 5:22 am

I have a 17 RT and yes I ran an SAE wiring directly from battery.

I have a plug under the seat and another in the top case so I can unplug if I take the topcase off. In that case I can still plug the USB under the seat if needed.

A slight challenge running the cable through the existing wiring waterproof structure. It was a bit tight but after lots of effort I got there. You will need smaller cables to do so.

The top case comes apart easily ( as compared to earlier versions.)

And the good part is I can charge anything I need in the case.

Yes obvious they should have it as a built in option IMO.
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2019, 6:45 pm

USB power brick. No drilling, no disassembly. Plug n' play at it's very best. I know you're looking for no bulk, but these take up very little room inside of a top case. If you don't have room for one of these little guys, then.... Yes...it does need recharging...but that's easy enough once stopped for the night and the trade off is that it can be used off bike for air travel or anything else you'd need it for. I use one all of the time when I'm traveling two up with my wife and want our tablet with us.
bicyclenut likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 9:34 am

One potential issue with many of these solutions: radio interference. I've tried 6 different DIN plug charging adapters on my R1250RT and every one of them gives incredible audio interference when FM or Satellite radio is used while a phone is charging. They're electrically quiet when not powering a phone, but noisy when powering a phone.

In the end, I keep one in my tank bag to top up a phone in an emergency, but normally I use a backup battery/powerbank in my tank bag to charge my phone. Lasts more than all day.Currently using one from Amazon with a fold-out triple solar panel. On a bright day I can leave it open on the seat at stops and add some power back, but even running my phone all day has never drawn the battery down beyond 75%.
kbob12 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in