Charging Navigator VI - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Brock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Garage
Question Charging Navigator VI

I added a Navigator VI GPS when I purchased my RT last year.
It generally works well. I have had problems with it running down when the bike is parked. Then it won't start until I've ridden some distance and it begins to charge. It's my third Garmin GPS over the years, but this one has a strange charging quirk.

If it's plugged into a USB charger block and turned off, it does not charge.
All the other Garmin GPS units I've had charge their on-board battery when on or off.

Is the Navigator VI supposed to behave like this?
It seems to me it should charge either way and the charge should hold for several months it turned off.
mpears53 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 9:28 am

Re: Charging Navigator VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brock View Post
I added a Navigator VI GPS when I purchased my RT last year.
It generally works well. I have had problems with it running down when the bike is parked. Then it won't start until I've ridden some distance and it begins to charge. It's my third Garmin GPS over the years, but this one has a strange charging quirk.

If it's plugged into a USB charger block and turned off, it does not charge.
All the other Garmin GPS units I've had charge their on-board battery when on or off.

Is the Navigator VI supposed to behave like this?
It seems to me it should charge either way and the charge should hold for several months it turned off.
Yes they should hold their charge. I do know that Garmin had an issue with their batteries and it is possible you have a dodgy battery in your Sat Nav.

Garmin supplied me with 4 batteries before it finally took and held a charge.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #3 of 23 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 11:34 am

Mine only charges off the bike with a usb charger if the screen is active, ie its on, If it just shows the computer connection on the screen it doesn't charge. Also the Nav is not off unless you switch off by pressing the button on the rear and selecting off. It is in standby if it switches off by itself. Even when the Nav is off, my battery will still run down if left for a month without having had a charge. So if not using the Nav, I tend to give it a charge once a month.

post #4 of 23 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks.
I called Garmin. They're going to send me a battery.
The tech didn't know if the Nav VI needed to be On to charge or not.
My old ones didn't and he thought it sounded kinda crazy if it needed to be on to charge, but either way, that's not a show stopper.

Thanks again for the replies.
post #5 of 23 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brock View Post
Thanks.
I called Garmin. They're going to send me a battery.
The tech didn't know if the Nav VI needed to be On to charge or not.
My old ones didn't and he thought it sounded kinda crazy if it needed to be on to charge, but either way, that's not a show stopper.

Thanks again for the replies.
I did a bit of googling and there are a lot that say the Garmin USB cable depending on what its plugged into, detects if it needs to data transfer or charge, if in data mode, its not charging. So not sure if it depends what you have it plugged into, I know Garmin apparently sell a charger separately. Like I said, mine seems to behave like yours, it needs to be on to charge. There also seems to be loads who have found the same, so don't know if its an issue or not
post #6 of 23 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 1:33 pm

I have the same issue with the my VI. The battery often goes flat after the bike sits for a couple weeks. Won't charge via USB unless it's on. I'm going to see if they will send me a new battery.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #7 of 23 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Same thing here too. Battery died after one week of non use. My Nav IV & V never did that.
post #8 of 23 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger man View Post
Same thing here too. Battery died after one week of non use. My Nav IV & V never did that.
Was it off or in standby, if you hadn't switched it off complexly and it was in standby, it would easily go dead in a week
post #9 of 23 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by casbar View Post
I know Garmin apparently sell a charger separately.
I looked on the Garmin site and didn't see an AC charger.

I do not I have to use their thicker USB data cable or it will not connect to my computer.
I can charge it using that same cable in a 2.4Amp USB wall wart but it has to be powered up.
Very strange.
post #10 of 23 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 11:53 pm

I’m glad this post came out when it did. When I Rode my r1250rt today my Nav VI did not come on. When i stopped to get gas it did come on when I started the bike and the Nav had a message that said it had a low battery. I assume it charged itself up because it continued to work for the remainder of today’s ride. When I got home I found the Nav VI operators manual. It states as follows on page 2:
Use sleep mode to conserve battery power when your device is not in use. Sleep mode uses very little power, and a battery charge lasts for weeks when your device is in sleep mode.

Based on this I will start removing the Nav VI from the bike and push the power button on the backside so it turns off and not just go into sleep mode. I hadn’t rode the bike for a couple of weeks so it seems the battery is good and working according to the manual.
post #11 of 23 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 3:40 am

So raised a ticket with Garmin. What they seem to be saying is, using a usb cable with any third party adaptors or computer may not charge the device. This is their reply. Although they haven't answered why my device will charge if it is switched on, but not by just plugging in the cable to a usb charger

Use a Garmin-branded AC power adapter accessory, such as a wall power adapter.

A full charge via a Garmin AC power adapter may take 3 to 4 hours
When you plug the device into an AC charger and push the button to turn it “off”, the device will remain on enough to charge the battery, then fully suspend or turn off
It is recommended that you use the port directly on the device when charging indoors, and not the powered mount that is used when plugging the device into the vehicle power cable
Third-party AC adapters may not be able to charge the device. A Garmin-compatible AC adapter can be purchased from Garmin's online store
See Using Third-Party AC Chargers, Cables, and Other Accessories with Garmin Automotive Devices for more information.

You can buy Garmin chargers off of Amazon. Not sure I want to do that, can just leave it switched on to charge, I just wanted to know if my device is faulty or not.
post #12 of 23 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 5:15 am

Hi guys, Garmin charger or no garmin charger, is pretty much irrelevant. As I said earlier I don't know where Garming are getting their batteries from, but there are a lot of dodgy batteries that will either a/. not take a charge (be it from the bike or any other charger you wish to use!). or b/. Hold a charge.

The fault is not yours, it is the battery. The solution? Hmm more difficult to achieve, as you have to convince Garmin to keep supplying you till you get one that works.

PS, it took me well over 2 years to finally get a solution that worked from Garmin.

Good luck.

I will follow this thread with interest.

post #13 of 23 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 6:20 am

Here is another response from Garmin

Thank you for contacting Garmin

So i just grabbed a motorrad device myself to test this and can see what you mean when it shows the computer and device on the screen but no indication of it charging. the device was dead to start with and was able to charge when showing the computer and device on the screen allowing it to turn on after 45 minutes of charging it. unfortunately there inst any way of showing the battery symbol on the screen when that screen shows up however i can confirm that it is charging. in order to get the best results however i would recommend plugging it into a wall just as my colleges has stated. if this is still an issue i would recommend speaking to BMW as it seems to be a setting they have put on the device itself because when the device is restored to its factory setting its still charging.

Hope this answers your questions, if it doesn't do not hesitate to contact us back.
post #14 of 23 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 8:50 am

Quote:
Was it off or in standby, if you hadn't switched it off complexly and it was in standby, it would easily go dead in a week
And the deceiving part is you are prompted to turn off the screen manually when you turn the bike off but leave the unit in the GPS prep which doesn't stop the battery drain as you mention you must remove the unit then turn it off manually from the on/off button on the back in order to stop battery drain. My 2016 vintage Nav V started losing its ability to hold a charge even when off the bike so I bought a new battery from Garmin for around $39 and all's well again.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #15 of 23 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 9:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
Hi guys, Garmin charger or no garmin charger, is pretty much irrelevant. As I said earlier I don't know where Garming are getting their batteries from, but there are a lot of dodgy batteries that will either a/. not take a charge (be it from the bike or any other charger you wish to use!). or b/. Hold a charge.

The fault is not yours, it is the battery. The solution? Hmm more difficult to achieve, as you have to convince Garmin to keep supplying you till you get one that works.

PS, it took me well over 2 years to finally get a solution that worked from Garmin.

Good luck.

I will follow this thread with interest.
But I don't have a problem with the battery, it holds its charge fine when charged from the bike or from the usb cable, but as discussed in earlier posts, mine as others only seem to charge when the unit is on. Now I'm still not convinced a Garmin charger is the answer, but as it stands, this isn't a big issue for me, as it still charges and holds its charge.
post #16 of 23 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 9:28 am

Just doing a test, plugged in a non garmin charger (I don't have a Garmin one), it switched the Nav on and started charging, so no picture of computer with lead.

I have now plugged in the garmin lead to a usb plug and the computer and lead are showing, I will leave it and see if it actually charges the battery, I suspect not, as previously I have had to switch the thing on to charge, but we will see
post #17 of 23 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 9:38 am

I would firstly say that I am not able to offer any help that would solve this issue but I have had the same situation of the battery’s state of charge being such that it will not boot up.

In this state I expected once it was on the bike cradle with the ignition on that it would boot up. It doesn’t despite what the manual says:-

‘NOTE: The device turns on automatically if it is in the optional motorcycle or automotive mount and external power is connected and turned on.
Press the power key.’

It doesn’t mention here that it will only turn on when mounted in the bike cradle if there is sufficient charge in the battery. Also how you’re supposed to press the power key once it’s in the cradle is not clear. And of course if you take it out then the battery has insufficient power to start. Almost perfect circle there.

I have found riding for a few miles with it in this state it will still only start if you stop, turn off the bike & then if you start off again it usually boots as a short Ride is sufficient to charge the battery to a pint it can boot the unit.

This is of course not ideal but I have learned to live with it by ensuring I do a hard shut down rather than leave it in standby.

My Zumo 660 never have me so many ‘issues’ but hey ho.

Stay safe.

Graham Jones
2005 K1200LT
post #18 of 23 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiedend View Post
My Zumo 660 never have me so many ‘issues’ but hey ho.
My Zumo 590LM did.

post #19 of 23 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 10:32 am

Well my short test is complete. So after plugging the Nav into a usb plug, it showed the computer and lead. The battery had 3 bars showing before I started. I've just gone back and the Nav had switched itself on and the screen was on and the green battery bars showed the charging symbol, I unplugged the USB lead and the battery is showing fully charged.

So it looks like mine now charged from the USB lead when it was off. Never seen it do that before, the wonders of Garmin.
post #20 of 23 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 11:02 am

Quote:

I have now plugged in the garmin lead to a usb plug and the computer and lead are showing, I will leave it and see if it actually charges the battery, I suspect not
I thought if I just kept my Nav V connected to my PC when not in use it would charge up as I use the PC for flight simming a lot but never saw it charge over many hours of connection to one of the PC's USB ports.

2013 F800GT - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #21 of 23 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
I thought if I just kept my Nav V connected to my PC when not in use it would charge up as I use the PC for flight simming a lot but never saw it charge over many hours of connection to one of the PC's USB ports.

From what I have gathered, a pc usb doesn't supply enough power to charge it. You need to plug it into a power socket. My Apple one didn't seem to work. I have just used a usb plug and plugged the Garmin lead into it, and it charged
post #22 of 23 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Quote:
From what I have gathered, a pc usb doesn't supply enough power to charge it. You need to plug it into a power socket. My Apple one didn't seem to work. I have just used a usb plug and plugged the Garmin lead into it, and it charged
What kind of power socket? What was the mAmp rating of the socket you discovered does charge Nav?

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #23 of 23 Old Apr 12th, 2019, 1:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
What kind of power socket? What was the mAmp rating of the socket you discovered does charge Nav?
5v 1000mAmp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in