Peg Lowering Kit Spring Pressure - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sodenj5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Today, 7:08 am Thread Starter

Peg Lowering Kit Spring Pressure

Good Morning All,

New to the forum and new to BMWs. Picked up my 2018 R1200RT a few weeks ago and purchased the Suburban Machinery peg lowering kit based on what I had read across multiple forums.

Kit installed with no issues. Peg position is much better for my longer legs. My gripe is I feel like the spring pressure is lacking now with the peg kit. Whenever I move my foot to shift or apply the bake, I can feel the entire peg move under my foot as well.

If I try to manually move the pegs by hand, there's definitely pressure, and the spring is definitely engaging against the frame of the bike. Double checked the set screw that locks the frame against the bracket. The only thing I can think of is the spring is now too weak with the extra leverage from the peg kit.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or did I just goof the install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Today, 8:32 am

Re: Peg Lowering Kit Spring Pressure

Welcome on board...

Congratulations on the bike.

The Peg Lowers were the first add-on I did to my R1200RT/20014... I enjoy the new position. Unfortunately I cannot offer any information on your exact question except to say My Suburban Machinery Peg Lowering Kit did not seem to alter the peg tension in any way. I do not sense any "shifting" of the peg position.

Mine just seems "normal" in every way... I do not recall the install process but perhaps the spring tension got changed in the process...?

and... as a new-guy, please consider telling us where you are... you might find a new ride-pal or even a technical guru... you never know...

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #3 of 6 Old Today, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz View Post
Welcome on board...

Congratulations on the bike.

The Peg Lowers were the first add-on I did to my R1200RT/20014... I enjoy the new position. Unfortunately I cannot offer any information on your exact question except to say My Suburban Machinery Peg Lowering Kit did not seem to alter the peg tension in any way. I do not sense any "shifting" of the peg position.

Mine just seems "normal" in every way... I do not recall the install process but perhaps the spring tension got changed in the process...?

and... as a new-guy, please consider telling us where you are... you might find a new ride-pal or even a technical guru... you never know...
Thanks for the heads up. I may take mine apart and attempt to reinstall. I have the same issue on both sides.

I’m located in central Connecticut. Looking forward to putting some miles on the bike.

post #4 of 6 Old Today, 11:23 am

I am getting ready to install my Peg lowering kit on my new to me 2015 RT. How hard is it to change the lever height? I think I read that you are stock with the brake lever adjustment, but can move the shifter.

I had the kit on my 2005. I seem to remember that the levers did swing up a bit easier than without. Not annoyingly so, but a bit.

John.
post #5 of 6 Old Today, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
I am getting ready to install my Peg lowering kit on my new to me 2015 RT. How hard is it to change the lever height? I think I read that you are stock with the brake lever adjustment, but can move the shifter.

I had the kit on my 2005. I seem to remember that the levers did swing up a bit easier than without. Not annoyingly so, but a bit.

John.
Extremely easy. There are two jam nuts at the end of the shifter turnbuckle. Loosen those two and the. Rotate the turnbuckle by the center hex. It will adjust the shift lever up or down. Then tighten the jam nuts back up. Easy.
JStrube likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 11:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodenj5 View Post
Extremely easy. There are two jam nuts at the end of the shifter turnbuckle. Loosen those two and the. Rotate the turnbuckle by the center hex. It will adjust the shift lever up or down. Then tighten the jam nuts back up. Easy.
Sweet! I won't fear it now.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in