4Likes
  • 1 Post By Motodan
  • 1 Post By LuckyRT
  • 1 Post By motorhead1977
  • 1 Post By motorhead1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Apr 4th, 2019, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Cheap GPS lock

Okay, never said I wasn't cheap. Pictured is the plastic push button one pushes to release GPS from the RT's cradle. I was thinking, just drill a small hole to insert a small screw (bolt) so the button can not be pressed in far enough to release GPS unit. Probably something with a Allen head or other less common fastener. Believe I'd feel comfortable leaving unit in cradle with such a set up when stopping for short periods like lunch or while in a gas station. Otherwise, for overnight motel parking lots and the like be able to easily remove the screw to safely pack unit away. Has anyone tried this - results?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4854.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	931.0 KB
ID:	150805  
Pabst likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35 BMW Bikes -
the Wetheads
2013 R1200GS (Gone) 2014 R1200RT (Sold back to BMW)
2015 R1200RT (Gone) 2017 R1200RT (Gone)
2018 R1200RT
MOA #46783
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Apr 4th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Re: Cheap GPS lock

Haven't tried it but that's exactly what I was thinking, I chickened out on drilling a hole in my new bike. The first day I got my bike I forgot and left my GPS on the bike and went up to my wifes office for about 10 minutes then left and sat down at an outdoor restaurant and noticed a hobo looking at it, when he reached for it he luckily turned and saw me staring at him and took off, I got up out of my seat and was ready to tackle him. I didn't have to say a word, he knew he was going to die.

Last edited by Pabst; Apr 4th, 2019 at 8:32 pm.
post #3 of 27 Old Apr 4th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Garage

Before you drill a hole in it you might want to determine if it is hollow or solid. I wouldn't drill a hole in it if it's hollow.

2018 R1200RT 3,200 miles, 2004 R1150RT 188,100 miles, 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
Total 426,900 BMW miles

The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

post #4 of 27 Old Apr 4th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioolt View Post
Before you drill a hole in it you might want to determine if it is hollow or solid. I wouldn't drill a hole in it if it's hollow.
What I'd like to see is a 3-D printed "donut" that would encircle the release button, with a small set-screw in the donut to hold it in place around the release button, preventing anyone from pressing the release button w/o undoing the set-screw/donut from the release button.

Maybe someday I can convince a college kid w/access to a 3-D printer to print me one. Shouldn't cost more than a $1 or so of raw materials.

Jack Goertz
'12 Triumph Bonneville
'15 BMW R1200RT
post #5 of 27 Old Apr 5th, 2019, 3:45 am

It's criminal a locking mechanism wasn't built into the bike by BMW.

We should demand a recall.
RJPsRT likes this.
post #6 of 27 Old Apr 5th, 2019, 5:29 am

Garage
I agree it's unthinkable that BMW didn't include a lock. However, you can buy an excellent GPS locking mechanism that interfaces with the central locking system on the RT. The GPS unit isn't cheap so why cheap out on security for it. Here is a link to Old-timers. Great people and product. http://oldtimers.si/en/
taran1900 likes this.

Motorhead1977, Albany, NY
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."--John, Viscount Morley On Compromise, 1874
Dissent is Patriotic - Let us never forget that America was born of dissent.

2018 R1200RTW - Mars Red
2015 Ducati Scrambler Icon - '62 Yellow
1987 Honda VFR400R Rothmans livery
post #7 of 27 Old Apr 5th, 2019, 10:07 am

I think..., these are all a waste of time because you have to go a long way tulill you hit metal in that front end. Since most car thefts of toys like our GPS are busting open a window or an unlocked car, if it’s sitting there This all can be defeated by a nice big screwdriver. So take it with you or leave it there. Show us one instance any of these defeated a thief who tried. The appearance of it being integrated into the dash is its best natural defense,
post #8 of 27 Old Apr 5th, 2019, 10:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble View Post
I think..., these are all a waste of time because you have to go a long way tulill you hit metal in that front end. Since most car thefts of toys like our GPS are busting open a window or an unlocked car, if it’s sitting there This all can be defeated by a nice big screwdriver. So take it with you or leave it there. Show us one instance any of these defeated a thief who tried. The appearance of it being integrated into the dash is its best natural defense,
So few people would even know about the release button so if a thief decided they wanted to steal it they would likely start prying before even looking for a release button, especially under the tension of a theft in progress. Would another RT owner take it? Very unlikely I think, though of course possible. The ONLY real solution is as you say--take it with you. 2nd option is put it in a locking cubby. I put velcro on top of the GPS Prep and a strip on my jacket collar so what I do for short stops away from the bike is just drape my jacket over the whole dash w/ the velcro holding it to the upper surface of the GPS prep. This avoids anyone even seeing it so it's good for reasonable security when I'm off the bike for shorts stops to take a whiz or what have you.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold

Last edited by NoelCP; Apr 5th, 2019 at 10:33 am.
post #9 of 27 Old Apr 5th, 2019, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
So few people would even know about the release button so if a thief decided they wanted to steal it they would likely start prying before even looking for a release button, especially under the tension of a theft in progress. Would another RT owner take it? Very unlikely I think, though of course possible. The ONLY real solution is as you say--take it with you. 2nd option is put it in a locking cubby. I put velcro on top of the GPS Prep and a strip on my jacket collar so what I do for short stops away from the bike is just drape my jacket over the whole dash w/ the velcro holding it to the upper surface of the GPS prep. This avoids anyone even seeing it so it's good for reasonable security when I'm off the bike for shorts stops to take a whiz or what have you.
So with any luck, they only steal your jacket? I appreciate the comment made. Never thought a screw would be a deterrent to a professional. Thinking more about the "kid" who saw an easy target and attempts a two second try. And to the idea that a RT rider or any biker for that matter, wouldn't attempt this known weak link...I wouldn't be so sure about that...there have been thefts at a BMW rally? Thinking the hollow or not release button does need consideration.

35 BMW Bikes -
the Wetheads
2018 R1200RT
MOA #46783
post #10 of 27 Old Apr 6th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
So with any luck, they only steal your jacket? I appreciate the comment made. Never thought a screw would be a deterrent to a professional. Thinking more about the "kid" who saw an easy target and attempts a two second try. And to the idea that a RT rider or any biker for that matter, wouldn't attempt this known weak link...I wouldn't be so sure about that...there have been thefts at a BMW rally? Thinking the hollow or not release button does need consideration.
I'm not so sure either which is why I said it was very unlikely and I still believe it is. The real solution is just take the thing with you it takes about exactly the same time to remove it as it does to fiddle w/ a key or anything else.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #11 of 27 Old Apr 6th, 2019, 5:13 pm

My 'cheap' fix is duct tape

I have an old Zumo 550 that I really use only for the speedometer, and over the years, my Zumo power button, and cradle have deteriorated. I have duct tape over the power button, and another piece over the locking tab on the top. Not very attractive, it also signals that this is an old, perhaps not in great shape unit. Works so far.

For directions, I usually use WAZE in my helmet.

2000 LT 199,505 miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #12 of 27 Old Apr 6th, 2019, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not so sure either which is why I said it was very unlikely and I still believe it is. The real solution is just take the thing with you it takes about exactly the same time to remove it as it does to fiddle w/ a key or anything else.
That's just it...there would be nothing to fiddle with during short stops (with screw in place). At end of day remove screw/unit if parked outside your garage. Otherwise leave mounted all the time, with just a small screw/bolt as a quick theft try deterrent. And I can tell you, there have been thefts at BMW rallies, by BMW riders and others

35 BMW Bikes -
the Wetheads
2018 R1200RT
MOA #46783
post #13 of 27 Old Apr 7th, 2019, 9:59 am

Quote:
That's just it...there would be nothing to fiddle with during short stops (with screw in place). At end of day remove screw/unit if parked outside your garage. Otherwise leave mounted all the time, with just a small screw/bolt as a quick theft try deterrent. And I can tell you, there have been thefts at BMW rallies, by BMW riders and others
Sure, I just remove mine when I sense there is sufficient theft risk, but that is just what works for me. Now if securing the GPS was the only thing that kept me from immediately walking away from the bike when I stop for a short stop then it might be more meaningful, but alas it isn't I have to remove and store my helmet, gloves, etc. Removing the GPS is probably the the least time-intensive task I have to do when I dismount the horse. I put it in the cubby or take it with me for lunch stops, in the motel for night stops, etc. It is unfortunate BMW didn't engineer a barrel lock w/ key in the top of the GPS Prep housing as someone showed pictures of here some time ago it would have added another $15 to the total cost out the door, if that, just like this guy did:

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #14 of 27 Old Apr 7th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabst View Post
Haven't tried it but that's exactly what I was thinking, I chickened out on drilling a hole in my new bike. The first day I got my bike I forgot and left my GPS on the bike and went up to my wifes office for about 10 minutes then left and sat down at an outdoor restaurant and noticed a hobo looking at it, when he reached for it he luckily turned and saw me staring at him and took off, I got up out of my seat and was ready to tackle him. I didn't have to say a word, he knew he was going to die.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/smilies/lol8.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/smilies/lol8.gif[/IMG]
Lol... a hobo...
post #15 of 27 Old Apr 7th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Quote:
. . . It is unfortunate BMW didn't engineer a barrel lock w/ key in the top of the GPS Prep housing as someone showed pictures of here some time ago it would have added another $15 to the total cost out the door, if that, just like this guy did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ngQD2zj0w
I think you're spot-on . . . BMW engineers could have easily dealt with this BASIC security issue.

I've seen the OldTimers solution but can't understand why it has to cost that much . . . they probably made an estimate of 'what the market will bear'

The key approach in the video clip is something I will look into
post #16 of 27 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 12:20 pm

I got the security lock listed on Oldtimers.si from RT-Motofriends (Facebook). I got the unit in five business days and installed it yesterday. Works as advertised. I'll still take the unit out for over night stays at hotels, etc.

Scott T
McKinney, Texas
2019 R1250RT
post #17 of 27 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yango View Post
Lol... a hobo...
Yea they used to just be interested in jump'en freight trains, now they're jumping RTs! LOL!

2014 R1200RT - Quartz blue metallic
2010 Kawasaki VN900

-CT USA-
post #18 of 27 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taran1900 View Post
I got the security lock listed on Oldtimers.si from RT-Motofriends (Facebook). I got the unit in five business days and installed it yesterday. Works as advertised. I'll still take the unit out for over night stays at hotels, etc.
What did it cost US dollars including shipping?

35 BMW Bikes -
the Wetheads
2018 R1200RT
MOA #46783
post #19 of 27 Old Apr 9th, 2019, 10:50 am

I think the firs thing I noticed about my new to me RT is the lack of a GPS lock system. Even these add-ons seem a bit flimsy to a thief with a screwdriver. I would have loved to see the GPS slide down behind a window or something to lock it in place.
post #20 of 27 Old Apr 9th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Quote:
Ä118.99 EUR. This included shipping. That's about $134. Wunderlich charges Ä99 for theirs and it's hideous and requires a seperate key. I love the Oldtimers solution. Invisible, linked to central locking, and far more secure. If you have central locking on your RT, this is the way to go. When this thing is locked, the only way to get the GPS out without destroying it, is to take everything apart. And for this you need torx bits and the knowledge of how to get it apart.

Scott T
McKinney, Texas
2019 R1250RT
post #21 of 27 Old Apr 9th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taran1900 View Post
Quote:
€118.99 EUR. This included shipping. That's about $134. Wunderlich charges €99 for theirs and it's hideous and requires a seperate key. I love the Oldtimers solution. Invisible, linked to central locking, and far more secure. If you have central locking on your RT, this is the way to go. When this thing is locked, the only way to get the GPS out without destroying it, is to take everything apart. And for this you need torx bits and the knowledge of how to get it apart.
. Even if you have the torch bits unless you can raise the windscreen you'd have a hard time removing the top dash cover. I can't recommend the Old-timers.si solution enough. I'm extremely satisfied.
taran1900 likes this.

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."--John, Viscount Morley On Compromise, 1874

2018 R1200RTW - Mars Red
post #22 of 27 Old Apr 9th, 2019, 7:07 pm

How long does it take to be delivered?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #23 of 27 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 4:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
. . . . I would have loved to see the GPS slide down behind a window . . . .
Great idea!
Sliding down inside the Tupperware would have been really cool
post #24 of 27 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserttan View Post
How long does it take to be delivered?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I paid the invoice from RT-Motofriends on March 23rd (Sat) and received the kit on April 1st. Just over one week. Very fast considering it came from Germany.

Scott T
McKinney, Texas
2019 R1250RT
post #25 of 27 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Garage
Takes about a week to 10 days for me to receive items directly from Old timers.si. I think that's very good coming from Slovenia to the USA.

2018 R1200RTW - Mars Red
post #26 of 27 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Garage

Has anyone in the USA been charged a customs fee? So far I've never been charged a customs fee for anything that I have received from out of the country.

2018 R1200RT 3,200 miles, 2004 R1150RT 188,100 miles, 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
Total 426,900 BMW miles

The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
post #27 of 27 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 8:53 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

I ordered 2 of these locks from Oldtimer today. They are sending me the version with a Sirius antenna platform on them. They are 10 euros more. The price keeps going up. $140EUR each - $325.00US for 2 of them.... shipping included.

So far I have new been charged for any custom fees for anything I buy in the EU. Its already wrapped up in the price or they have figured a way around it.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Last edited by tvguy; Apr 11th, 2019 at 9:08 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in