BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Handlebar reflections

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  sgroover 
#1 ·
'14 - '19 R12XXRT. Sometimes it is impossible, to tell at a glance, readings on temp, gear selection, radio station or fuel level due to bar reflections on to gauge window readout. I have used black vinyl to cover front side of handlebars in past. Has anyone come up with anything better? Anyone masked off area to spray flat black paint (or other material) on front side of bars? Results?

#2 ·
Depending on the angle the sun shines, may help to tint the windshield.
My handle bars are powder coated black. I think they look better than the grey
they come with, yet i don't think that would make a difference Other suggestion
would be to custom cut an old smoked helmet visor and screw it on with the two
screws up front. I have the Migsel GPS holder mounted with those two screws.
Here is a pic, so you get the idea.

Attachments

#7 ·
I'm referring to newer wet head models, with their handlebar reflection. The older RT's (as you show), '13 on back, had their own reflective and fade problems due to sun and heat.

#4 ·
Had that problem with my '15RT especially when the sun is above and to the left as I rode home from work every day. So I masked off and sprayed a couple coats of black Plasi Dip. It was an easy fix and looks great. Added risers and coated them also - has lasted 4 years with no re-coating and if I get sick of it I'll just peel it off. Also wrapped the shiny cables in black cable wrap. Now I can see everything on the dash all the time.

Attachments

#9 ·
I've used handlebar bags for all of my bikes; they are my favorite bit of storage and block all of the handlebar reflections without interfering with my view of the cluster.

#10 ·
Good idea however, they'd need to be so tiny as not usable on the wet head RT, it appears. Do you have pictures or recommendations?

#14 ·
Still need to clean up a couple of edges, but I wanted only handlebar portion (front) reflecting in read out window blackened. Otherwise I like stock finish facing me.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.