• 1 Post By heli_madken
  • 1 Post By casbar
  • 1 Post By mt65804

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old Mar 21st, 2019, 11:50 pm Thread Starter

Garage
R1250RT Induction noise under heavy throttle

Hi All

Not having owned an RT before I was curious about how the my new 1250 engine sounds under acceleration. When using gentle to medium throttle the engine is very quiet even when using heavy throttle down low. But once the needle swings past 4000rpm it gives of quite a loud deep growl sounding like induction noise from under the tank area.
Is this common to Rt's or possibly the new ShiftCam taking over moving from the low to high lift on the cam.

Any other 1250/1200 riders notice this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 5:14 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Re: R1250RT Induction noise under heavy throttle

I can only spitball and say you are hearing the full sound of the exhaust as the exhaust flap opens fully at higher throttle position.

It is a little sound deterrent that is built into the exhaust to help quiet the bike and is closed semi closed at lower RPM/throttle position and fully open under WOT or higher throttle openings.

I'll take your problem sounds like it would be music to my ears
beech likes this.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #3 of 44 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 7:39 am

First-time 1250RT owner here too. I'm partially deaf so I might not notice it as much as you do, but ased on things I've read, the Shift Cam works its magic around 5000 RPM under normal loads. So if that's when the sound starts it might be related. I guess under hard acceleration you'd make it from 4K to 5K RPM pretty quickly, so you might be on to something. Otherwise, perhaps as LAF suggests, the changing exhaust port affects the resonance of the whole system.

post #4 of 44 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox273 View Post
Is this common to Rt's or possibly the new ShiftCam taking over moving from the low to high lift on the cam.

I have ridden both and the noise is pretty much identical on both bikes all the way up to the endstops.

As LAF said, I am pretty sure you are not hearing induction noise, but the exhaust flap opening and you are hearing the engine sing from the back end.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #5 of 44 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF View Post
I can only spitball and say you are hearing the full sound of the exhaust as the exhaust flap opens fully at higher throttle position.

It is a little sound deterrent that is built into the exhaust to help quiet the bike and is closed semi closed at lower RPM/throttle position and fully open under WOT or higher throttle openings.

I'll take your problem sounds like it would be music to my ears
This sounds exactly what I am hearing. Scooter to a sports bike in a couple of seconds.
LAF likes this.
post #6 of 44 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 11:12 pm

Once your out of town, keeping you bike above or near 4K RPM is a good thing, don't lug it. You may be surprised what it does above 6K rpm.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #7 of 44 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 11:13 pm

Quote:
Hi All

Not having owned an RT before I was curious about how the my new 1250 engine sounds under acceleration. When using gentle to medium throttle the engine is very quiet even when using heavy throttle down low. But once the needle swings past 4000rpm it gives of quite a loud deep growl sounding like induction noise from under the tank area.

And the problem is...
PadG and beech like this.

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #8 of 44 Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 6:06 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch View Post
And the problem is...
He has a 1250 and I don't?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #9 of 44 Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 7:53 am

Not a Certified Master BMW Technician however, feel quite safe in stating, "They all do that."

35 BMW Bikes -
the Wetheads
2013 R1200GS (Gone) 2014 R1200RT (Sold back to BMW)
2015 R1200RT (Gone) 2017 R1200RT (Gone)
2018 R1200RT
MOA #46783
post #10 of 44 Old Apr 1st, 2019, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
Not a Certified Master BMW Technician however, feel quite safe in stating, "They all do that."
Apologies for hijacking this thread

I have a problem at the other end of the scale, my 1250 has a high pitch rattle just as you roll on throttle, I took it back to the dealer almost immediately and got the 'they all do that' response

I mentioned in another thread that it sounds a lot like the old pre-ignition.

I can hear it even above the radio and to say it 'jangles my nerves' is an understatement, I have grown to hate the noise my bike makes, my 14 plate was much nicer.

Anyone else experience anything like this, certainly the demo bike I had out didnt make this noise, I had hoped it would calm down with some mileage but it isnt going away.
post #11 of 44 Old Apr 1st, 2019, 5:47 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_madken View Post

I have a problem at the other end of the scale, my 1250 has a high pitch rattle just as you roll on throttle, I took it back to the dealer almost immediately and got the 'they all do that' response

I can hear it even above the radio and to say it 'jangles my nerves' is an understatement, I have grown to hate the noise my bike makes, my 14 plate was much nicer.

Anyone else experience anything like this, certainly the demo bike I had out didnt make this noise, I had hoped it would calm down with some mileage but it isnt going away.
I would keep filling it with 93 octane gas every chance I got a gallon at a time if I had to. I also would add a bottle of Techron fuel treatment.

Since I now understand they have added the knock sensor back to the 1250 motor it might be bad fuel.

You have to ask what kind and fuel and what octane your dealer is throwing into each bike it sells.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 44 Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 1:11 am

Quote:
I would keep filling it with 93 octane gas every chance I got a gallon at a time if I had to. I also would add a bottle of Techron fuel treatment.
Thanks for your help, yes last two tanks have been high octane, it doesn't seem to have made any difference, I will try the Techron though. I also feel that the bike is very 'buzzy' at motorway speeds and at idle the screen shakes more violently than my old bike although I am hoping these two elements are due to the engines low mileage.
LAF likes this.
post #13 of 44 Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 3:59 am

Quote:

If the dealer's demo bike didn't make the noise, then clearly their response "they all do that" is unacceptable. I would be taking the demo bike out again to confirm things, then take a much harder line with the dealer. It's a pretty sad state of affairs that you say you have grown to hate the noise your bike makes. A new (and expensive) bike should make you happy - or what's the point..
beech likes this.

Jon
2017 R1200RT

So many places, so many roads, so few days off work.
post #14 of 44 Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 5:38 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for your help, yes last two tanks have been high octane, it doesn't seem to have made any difference, I will try the Techron though. I also feel that the bike is very 'buzzy' at motorway speeds and at idle the screen shakes more violently than my old bike although I am hoping these two elements are due to the engines low mileage.

My 1250 engine is very quiet with no high pitch rattles etc. (I only detect a change in engine tone when the exhaust fan fully opens around 4000 rpm) It is also very smooth at highway speeds. I only get a little shaking of the screen when the bike is idling and the screen is fully up, but I wouldn't call it violent.

Take your bike in and demand they take a look at it and at least compare it to another bike or demo unit.
PadG and Grumpy_Squatch like this.
post #15 of 44 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Garage

Quote:
... It is a little sound deterrent that is built into the exhaust to help quiet the bike and is closed semi closed at lower RPM/throttle position and fully open under WOT or higher throttle openings...
It is my understanding that the primary purpose of the flap is to improve the engine power output by adjusting exhaust backpressure as needed. Freer/freest flowing above 4-5k and partially restricted to increase backpressure below 4k to improve low-end torque.
post #16 of 44 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 4:14 pm

I think that is the primary purpose, but it does help with noise abatement around town.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #17 of 44 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 9:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
It is my understanding that the primary purpose of the flap is to improve the engine power output by adjusting exhaust backpressure as needed. Freer/freest flowing above 4-5k and partially restricted to increase backpressure below 4k to improve low-end torque.
Having had two of these flaps replaced (new headers), the tech told me, its purely for emissions and noise, and doesn't do anything for performance or torque. He said if it was stuck open, there would be no issues whatsoever with the bike apart from it throws a code as its tested during initial switch on, so the mothership knows if it's stuck. I experienced no change to how the bike performed when mine was stuck open. But that is obviously seat of the pants and not measured technically
LAF likes this.
post #18 of 44 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 10:35 am

Quote:

My bike has done 75 miles, and I think I have the same noise your talking about. On light throttle it sounds like the engine in pinning, slight rattle, but as you accelerate it goes away. I'll keep an eye on it, but don't think its anything to worry about, just sound different
post #19 of 44 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 11:19 am

Also I have just realised, I didn't hear the noise when I picked my bike up, it had the sport windscreen on it. Once I got home, I put a Werks screen back on and then I heard the rattle. So I assume as the windscreen makes for a quieter ride, I'm now hearing more of the engine/transmission or whatever. I let my mate ride it yesterday for 40 miles, he rides a F800 and didn't notice anything, so I think its just a different noise to the 1200
post #20 of 44 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 11:32 am

Thanks Casbar,

Yes the first 1/4" of throttle in any gear just as the engine takes up load, light rattle which goes away as the revs pick up

My bike went in for its first service on Friday so I took the opportunity to talk to the service head again, he heard the noise himself the last time I asked about it on his test run but the mechanic who took it out this time could hear nothing. So needless to say I didnt get anywhere, both stated the bike is perfect.

I have ridden two other 1250's that dont make the same noise, perhaps our bikes are Friday afternoon jobs on the production line

I am sure mechanically there is nothing wrong with our bikes its just the particular noise it makes annoys me.
post #21 of 44 Old Apr 14th, 2019, 11:41 am

Quote:
Thanks Casbar,

Yes the first 1/4" of throttle in any gear just as the engine takes up load, light rattle which goes away as the revs pick up

My bike went in for its first service on Friday so I took the opportunity to talk to the service head again, he heard the noise himself the last time I asked about it on his test run but the mechanic who took it out this time could hear nothing. So needless to say I didnt get anywhere, both stated the bike is perfect.

I have ridden two other 1250's that dont make the same noise, perhaps our bikes are Friday afternoon jobs on the production line

I am sure mechanically there is nothing wrong with our bikes its just the particular noise it makes annoys me.
I'm not worried, I'll see how it goes, love the bike and the engine
post #22 of 44 Old Apr 15th, 2019, 9:56 am

Quote:
Thanks Casbar,

Have you got the standard can on it? I just realised why I didn't hear anything when I rode the bike home, I had my ear plugs in and when I did hear it yesterday I was riding without plugs Thats obviously the answer, wear my ear plugs
post #23 of 44 Old Apr 16th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Yes standard can, the noise to me comes from the front of the engine and is separate to the normal mechanical noise.

As suggested by LAF I tried some Techron yesterday, could be my imagination but it does seem to have eased the noise a little.

Earplugs!, My own current solution is to listen to music perhaps a little louder than I used to
LAF likes this.
post #24 of 44 Old Apr 16th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Quote:
Yes standard can, the noise to me comes from the front of the engine and is separate to the normal mechanical noise.

As suggested by LAF I tried some Techron yesterday, could be my imagination but it does seem to have eased the noise a little.

Earplugs!, My own current solution is to listen to music perhaps a little louder than I used to
I am hearing the same thing, but went out yesterday and did another 50 or so miles and it appeared to not be as bad, or I'm getting used to it. It almost sounds to me like the pads rumbling in the front calliper, a kind of rattle. But as I said its getting less and less, so I'll wait and see what happens. I've got an Akra can on mine, so I was wondering if that was having an impact, but its not
LAF likes this.
post #25 of 44 Old May 26th, 2019, 6:50 am

Quote:

Mine does it. I don't notice so much in lower gears but in high gears with large throttle opening from low RPM it does it between 3 & 4k revs.
post #26 of 44 Old May 29th, 2019, 5:40 pm

I think mine makes the noise much lower than 3K revs, more like under 2k as I pull away. The Techron I feel did help but I cant keep on doing this as I need to commute on the bike its just too expensive.

I think if anything the noise is getting worse so I use my other bike as much as possible. To say i am disappointed in my 1250 is an understatement but I am sure my experience is rare, just pure unlucky so I am trying not to flood this forum or others with it.
post #27 of 44 Old May 29th, 2019, 6:05 pm

It's called the German Symphony.

All my R1200's made noise and each had a different clank or ping. My new R1250RT is just as noisy and maybe louder over 4k. For the first couple of bikes I tried to chase down the noises but when nothing bad happened I figured the dealer knew what they were talking about.

BTW, the new engine pulls great from low RPM in any gear, unlike the 1200's of old. Keeping the "revs up" isn't important anymore, still has lots of engine braking.

Just my 2 cents.
taran1900 likes this.

Last edited by mt65804; May 30th, 2019 at 3:26 am.
post #28 of 44 Old May 29th, 2019, 8:49 pm

I donít notice any abnormal engine noise from my 1250rt. Iím coming from a 2012 1200rt so itís different but doesnít sound abnormal to me. I donít know what the 2014 to 2018 RT sounded like so I canít compare.
post #29 of 44 Old May 29th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by casbar View Post
My bike has done 75 miles, and I think I have the same noise your talking about. On light throttle it sounds like the engine in pinning, slight rattle, but as you accelerate it goes away. I'll keep an eye on it, but don't think its anything to worry about, just sound different
Some or all 1200 wetheads do this there are a few threads about it. I wrote one because I thought it was pre-ignition and learned others get it between 2500 and 3500 rpm or so w/o lugging then fades off as it is probably overtaken by increasing other engine and road and wind noise is my guess. It may be more evident w/ RT and its reflective fairing than other R bikes. With ear plugs I don't notice it.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #30 of 44 Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt65804 View Post
It's called the German Symphony.

Keeping the "revs up" isn't important anymore, still has lots of engine braking.

Just my 2 cents.
The main reason keeping the "revs up" no longer applies to the 1250s is because of the partial load intake lobes on the cams. In addition to the intake valves opening partially, they are staggered when opening. This results in a much better "swirl" of the fuel air mixture resulting in more complete, consistent combustion. This is why the 1250 is so much smoother at low RPM. It is also much more efficient at low RPM than the 1200s.

Scott T
McKinney, Texas
2019 R1250RT
post #31 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 2:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
Some or all 1200 wetheads do this there are a few threads about it. I wrote one because I thought it was pre-ignition and learned others get it between 2500 and 3500 rpm or so w/o lugging then fades off as it is probably overtaken by increasing other engine and road and wind noise is my guess. It may be more evident w/ RT and its reflective fairing than other R bikes. With ear plugs I don't notice it.
Well I did over 18k miles on my 1200 and never heard this noise. I have now done 2k miles on my 1250 and rarely hear the noise now, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong and the engine is loosening up, it goes really well, still pleased.
post #32 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 9:15 am

Quote:
Well I did over 18k miles on my 1200 and never heard this noise.
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...ml#post1523010

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...ml#post1523386

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...ml#post1523450

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...ml#post1523778

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...ml#post1525106

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #33 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 11:28 am

That maybe so, I have also done over 10k on a 2014 RTP and haven't heard anything, just done a straw pole of my collegues as well who mostly also own LC RTs and they have heard nothing as well, maybe its fuel related as we are all in the UK
post #34 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 1:55 pm

Quote:
That maybe so, I have also done over 10k on a 2014 RTP and haven't heard anything, just done a straw pole of my collegues as well who mostly also own LC RTs and they have heard nothing as well, maybe its fuel related as we are all in the UK
It's not maybe so, it's so. Could be different fuel, different components, or bad hearing...

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #35 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 6:45 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taran1900 View Post
The main reason keeping the "revs up" no longer applies to the 1250s is because of the partial load intake lobes on the cams. In addition to the intake valves opening partially, they are staggered when opening. This results in a much better "swirl" of the fuel air mixture resulting in more complete, consistent combustion. This is why the 1250 is so much smoother at low RPM. It is also much more efficient at low RPM than the 1200s.
It also has a knock sensor.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #36 of 44 Old Jun 4th, 2019, 7:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
It also has a knock sensor.
BMW had put the knock-sensor back in the 1250, but I have just noticed that the spec. for the fuel for the 1250 is for minimum of 87 AKI!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #37 of 44 Old Jun 4th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
BMW had put the knock-sensor back in the 1250, but I have just noticed that the spec. for the fuel for the 1250 is for minimum of 87 AKI!
You could be onto something, although 95 oct is regular in the UK and from the 1st tank full I started using Super which is 98 Oct, and I have not heard the noise since. But 95 is the equivalent to 87 AKI. But it could also be the engine is bedding in as its now done 2k miles. I will listen out for it and see if I hear it again.
post #38 of 44 Old Jun 4th, 2019, 5:21 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
You could be onto something, although 95 oct is regular in the UK and from the 1st tank full I started using Super which is 98 Oct, and I have not heard the noise since. But 95 is the equivalent to 87 AKI. But it could also be the engine is bedding in as its now done 2k miles. I will listen out for it and see if I hear it again.
I have heard this sound and I run NOTHING but Super Unleaded USA 93 Octane.

I heard it on my 15 RT and I hear it on my 17.5 GS.

It sounds just like ping or knock.

I cant get better then 93 octane at the pump so not sure how I could proof it out. I could try to mix AV gas and 93 pump gas.

It sure isn't from me lugging because that is the last thing I can be accused of. I run the RPM'S up and try to keep them there so that is not the answer.

Of course you have such a noisy motor, fuel pump, ABS unit, Injectors and tires, with so many other noise producing sounds to go through it is hard. And of course you do not hear it at speed as it is overcome by over all sound.

Not sure what it is but I hear it also. And that is through costume molded ear plugs with a -15 DB cut through all ranges.

Noel is not crazy, and his hearing is fine. This is a "thing".

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #39 of 44 Old Jun 5th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Quote:
I heard it on my 15 RT and I hear it on my 17.5 GS.

It sounds just like ping or knock.

It sure isn't from me lugging because that is the last thing I can be accused of. I run the RPM'S up and try to keep them there so that is not the answer.

Of course you have such a noisy motor, fuel pump, ABS unit, Injectors and tires, with so many other noise producing sounds to go through it is hard. And of course you do not hear it at speed as it is overcome by over all sound.

Not sure what it is but I hear it also. And that is through costume molded ear plugs with a -15 DB cut through all ranges.
The owner of the local small BMW dealer in Chico is a BMW cert tech and his impression was that it is the injectors, and he believes it's easier to hear on RT models because its fairing reflects sound back to the rider more than GS or more naked R bikes for example. Have you noticed a difference between your RT and your GS in this regard?

I was thinking it was pinging when I noticed it, but uncharacteristic of pinging is that I still would get it even w/o being under hardly any load. So to satisfy my curiosity I asked the same shop owner for a test ride a new 2016. He kindly obliged and I rode it and if anything it was more prominent on the brand new one. Maybe whatever that is causing it injectors or what have you and it improves with age. In fact either my hearing is going or indeed it has improved w/ age.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #40 of 44 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 1:28 am

So there are owners who have experienced what sounds like detonation/pinking other than myself which is good to know.

I have tried higher octane fuels but it doesnt seem to make any real difference.

Now that I have put some more miles on the bike I am going to try another bottle of Techron.

Thanks everyone it does make me feel at least a little better knowing that others have experienced the noise.

Incidentally, my bike has only done 1200 miles but I am still consistently getting 3 MPG less than I got from my 14 plate, hopefully this will improve especially considering for the first 1000 miles I treated the bike fairly easily.
post #41 of 44 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Hi All

1. "They all do that.

2. Uhhh...yeah, we notice!!!!

3. This Is a problem? No, this is a SOLUTION!

'17 R1200RTLC: Cobalt Black; V1; Sargent; Aeroflow Tall; Fused battery tap on right side side of the bike to run a switched air pump; The fancy tool-kit; Tire repair stuff; Fuel siphon; Duct Tape!!

'00 Aprilia RSV Mille R: CPU wire cut; Wolf Chip; Evolution air filter; Leo Vinci CF 2 into 1 exhaust; CycleCat adjustable bars, small tank bag, BMW outlet for charging the battery with Battery Tender... Bellissimo!
post #42 of 44 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Quote:
This sounds exactly what I am hearing. Scooter to a sports bike in a couple of seconds.
Exhaust flap also increases velocity of the exhaust at low revs so you get a little more torque down there.

My '17 is very civilized until you wind it up, then it sounds like 2 chain saws on Nitrous.

'17 R1200RTLC: Cobalt Black; V1; Sargent; Aeroflow Tall; Fused battery tap on right side side of the bike to run a switched air pump; The fancy tool-kit; Tire repair stuff; Fuel siphon; Duct Tape!!

'00 Aprilia RSV Mille R: CPU wire cut; Wolf Chip; Evolution air filter; Leo Vinci CF 2 into 1 exhaust; CycleCat adjustable bars, small tank bag, BMW outlet for charging the battery with Battery Tender... Bellissimo!
post #43 of 44 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 8:16 pm

Quote:

It's a new bike, you don't need Techron yet!

I like the fuel injector explanation. I think the ticking of the little valves in those are getting reflected by the bodywork and windscreen. I've heard this too, Try changing the angle of your windscreen and see if it changes. Pinging would come more from the sides of the engine. Also, there are knock sensors on these bikes now, so they don't really ping anymore.

post #44 of 44 Old Jun 6th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwiz View Post
It's a new bike, you don't need Techron yet!

I like the fuel injector explanation. I think the ticking of the little valves in those are getting reflected by the bodywork and windscreen. I've heard this too, Try changing the angle of your windscreen and see if it changes. Pinging would come more from the sides of the engine. Also, there are knock sensors on these bikes now, so they don't really ping anymore.

Next ride I will see how it is w/o earplugs because quite frankly I haven't heard it for a long time. 37.7K miles OTC.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in