BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Automatic Navigation Lock

14K views 95 replies 27 participants last post by  Trilergy 
#1 ·
Has anyone ordered the Nav lock system from Oldtimers.si? Ties in with stock automatic locking, and looks easy to install. Videos are on utube. If, so how is the quality and the ordering process?

Reactions: biker01red
#2 ·
I have, it was easy to order (an email and paid by PayPal if I remember correctly) and is a good quality product that has worked perfectly on both my 2015RT and now on my 2018RT.

Only really two negatives; it is expensive and will not stop a determined thief (who may damage your bike if they use force to defeat it).

But for me well worth the cost for the protection it provides in petrol stations and other short stops. Once installed it is so unobtrusive that you would think it was original BMW equipment, in fact I am surprised BMW did not make it part of the GPS preparation!!

#3 ·
Pretty much the same for me, the ordering was easy and the fitting was fairly simple. I had to slightly adjust the locking rod (it is mentioned in the instructions that you might have to do this). I think they have an updated model now which makes this unnecessary.

#4 ·
I just ordered a 1250RT and took the Nav 6 with it.
I have found (on this forum) that theer was this solution to lock the GPS from Oldtimers, so I ordered one.
I contacted them by mail, and they gave me the instructions on how to proceed with the payment. I payed with Paypal, and I received the part 5 days later (I live in France, so the distance is shorter than to US).

I haven't installed it , since the bike hasn't been delivered yet.

#5 ·
Word of caution. I ordered, and received, the lock from Oldtimers. Something they failed to mention, or maybe I wasn't paying attention, is that the lock cannot be installed if you have a SiriusXM antenna installed. Or, if you do have the antenna installed in the standard position, it physically interferes with the nav lock and will have to be relocated. It is for this reason I have not yet installed the lock on my 2017 RT.

#6 · (Edited)
I tried to purchase this in the past but could not get a firm price from the vendor on shipping to the USA despite numerous emails with them. Their price list shows shipping for USA, Australia, China, Japan etc as a range of 10-90 Euros. What have others been charged for shipping to the USA? I'm very hesitant to order and perhaps have to pay almost the cost of the item as a shipping charge. Also, watching the embedded video at their website it is shown with a NAV V and not a NAV VI. Not sure if it makes any difference since the locking mechanism seems to be the same. Anyone have it installed with their NAV VI?

#11 · (Edited)
I have a 2018 R1200RT with SiriusXM radio. I have not ordered the Old Timers Navi Lock yet but emailed them yesterday asking more specifically about the how and where to relocate the Sirius antenna. He responded today but only referred me to the instructions included with the unit and didn't provide any further details about the antenna relocation. I disassembled the dash panel on my cycle to have a first hand look and to me it doesn't look like there's much room to move the antenna. Has anybody installed a unit into an RT with Sirius antenna and if so, did the instructions provided with the unit tell you specifically what to do with the antenna? How is the antenna attached? Is it glued on? Any further information provided on this point would be appreciated.

#12 ·
DWLMRS, were you able to get a firm price on shipping to you in the USA? That been my hold up in ordering as the range of pricing as posted at their website for shipping it to the USA is 10-90 euros which is of course a huge range. Thanks

#15 ·
dwlmrs

Please keep us informed about anything you find out about the Sirius antenna problem.

#17 ·
I mounted the Old Timer's lock on my 2018 RT with Sat Radio about a year ago. There are always many ways to solve a problem, mine has been working fine. This picture is of the first working version, not overly pretty but fully functional.

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Metal

#18 ·
Goose11, Thanks. From your photo it appears you mounted the antenna on the underside of the bracket is was originally mounted on. Is that correct? How was it attached? One more question. It appears that the multiple messages about accessing photos, etc. is being generated by me. Where did you pick up on all those messages? Sorry, but I just joined the forum yesterday and this is the first forum I have ever participated in. Needless to say, I'm stumbling around a bit trying to understand how this all works and what some of the terminology means. If you can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'd be grateful.

#22 ·
Hi dwlmrs,

What I did is a. make a hole in the existing Sat. antenna bracket the new GPS lock fits through. B. Make a new shelf to mount the antenna. The hole is to the viewer's left, in the black bracket the Sat. antenna originally mounted to. It has a plastic edging around the new hole. The new shelf in the aluminum, silver part to the viewer's right with more black edging around the left and top sides. The antenna is attached to the new part by double sided tape.

Pretty simple, this is about version 10, earlier ideas didn't work well enough to keep or mounted the antenna where it would be on the outside of the bodywork. I thought it would be better to have the antenna out of sight. I also wanted the new antenna mount to be as high as possible, level and to give a small metallic plane on which the antenna could be mounted. Completely subjectively, it seems to as well or slightly better than the original layout.

#19 ·
One benefit of relocating the Sirius antenna is the ability to be certain it is on a horizontal orientation. I'm told they perform best in that positioning. Guess I'll know more once my old-timers lock setup arrives and is installed.

#21 ·
my thoughts are to use this smaller antenna, placed on center of an RCU shelf. Result could be better reception for radio, unit is small and would not be that obvious.

I used one of these on other bikes, connected to one of the older style receivers that you could move from vehicle to vehicle.

Attachments

#25 ·
So, my GPS Navigation lock arrived. Quality product. Installation however was another story. Bike body parts come apart as they should. However, upon locating the Lock Unit it became obvious that the machining of the mounting plate was not correct. See first photo. After bending the mounting plate tabs on both ends so it would properly fit on the locating pins on the dash cover I was finally able to install it as shown in the instructions and the YouTube video. Once mounted and the wires fished and connected it became clear that the locking pin would interfere with the factory release button which being plastic would not stand up to the impact of the locking pin very well. See second photo. I was able to modify the locking pin such that it was finally able to fit properly when actuated. Once the modifications were made everything went together and functioned as it should. Total install time including the time needed to correct the misfitted parts was about 2 hours. BTW, I relocated the Sirius antenna by attaching it to the bottom of the Locking Unit mounting plate. So far signal strength and sound quality (based upon results in the garage as it's winter here) appear to be as good as before moving the antenna. In all I am satisfied as I can now secure my very expensive GPS unit to the bike. Oldtimers.si needs to be more attentive to their product fit quality though. One should not have to "make" a product fit when it is sold specifically for the application for which it was installed.

Attachments

#26 ·
I finished the installation of the Oldtimers Automatic Navigation Lock in my 2018 R1200RT today. I had to shim the locking pin away from the plastic piece it's mounted to by inserting two approx. 1/16" thick flat washers between and I had to bend the tip of the locking pin just slightly in order to get it properly lined up with the hole and avoid any binding. Initially it appeared that the holes in the unit's mounting tabs were not going to fit over the locating pins however, by exerting extra force with my thumbs when pushing the unit into position, I was able to spring (or maybe bend) the tabs enough to get them over the pins. This tight fit should keep the unit firmly in place and avoid any rattling. After finally finding an opening to route the electrical cable through, I made the connections and the unit worked properly. One issue I noticed, which I'm thinking might be caused by the extreme cold in my garage right now, is that in the unlock position, the rubber bellows on the solenoid rod causes the locking pin to creep back out just enough to occasionally prevent pushing the plastic button in to release the Nav. If I push the Nav release button immediately after pushing the unlock button it works fine. If warmer weather and usage do not remedy the issue, I will need to file 1/32" or so off the tip of the locking pin.

I knew that I needed to relocate the Sirius antenna prior to receiving the Nav Lock. Oldtimers suggested mounting it with Velcro under the plastic cowling ahead of the windshield motor. That's a pretty tight space and I couldn't see any way to do that without mounting the antenna upside down and at a pretty good angle. So rather, I formed a small bracket from 26 ga. sheet metal that is cantilevered off the clutch side of the cowling frame where the OEM bracket was mounted, just forward of the speedometer. I bent a piece of 6-32 threaded stock into a "J" to hook underneath the cowling frame and hold the bracket firmly in place. This provides plenty of room and puts the antenna right side up, level and on metal. See photos attached.

Attachments

#27 ·
Nicely done! If my reception suffers with the antenna upside down I'll make a bracket like yours but so far it appears the same as with the antenna in the stock position. The locking pin on my unit needed to be moved (bent) toward the clutch side of the bike and about 1/32 removed from the underside of the locking pin so it would not hit the plastic factory release. (it does engage with quite a bit of force) With my locking unit the front tabs would not allow the unit to completely seat against the front portion of the dash cover and the rear tab holes were enough off that even with a good deal of pressure they would not fit over the pins and once I was able to get the holes over the pins the ends of the rear tabs were sitting up on the rear side of the pins putting pressure above the surface of the dash cover. This caused me concern that the pressure could cause a failure of the pins as the cover is made of plastic. Once I bent them at a more friendly angle they fit flush to the under surface of the cover and at the base of the plastic pins. A bit of a PITA but at least now my GPS is secured on the bike. Hopefully Oldtimers.si have patented their design and application to prevent pirating by large companies.

#28 · (Edited)
Automatic Navigation Lock WITH SIRIUS RADIO ANTENA ready for BMW R1200 RT and BMW R1250 RT

Thanks guys for all report and all your helps
ant thanks to mr.Thomas N. for all attention.

We study about Sirius Antena and we will modify our lock holder.

If somebody send to us sirius antena , then we will return new Navi lock System with Sirius antena ,all for free.

We need Antena only for make new Navi holder , (we need 14 days to produce new typ holder).
New holder will be one side bigger - longer - we make space to fix Sirius antena.

We wil return after 14 days + delivery time ..depend of countries

contact me per Email or just send to us :)

here is only important :

The sirius inscription must be facing the sky

attached is foto for helps how must sometimes fix pin, we will solve this problem :)

thanks again for all

Oldtimers TEAM ,Matjaz

Attachments

#29 · (Edited)
Re: Automatic Navigation Lock WITH SIRIUS RADIO ANTENA

hi,

today we make prototyp of new holder
this holder you can us with or without Sirius antenna

thanks again Tom (motorhead1977) and Donald (dwlmrs) for helps
and both will receive a new holder for free :)

new holder will be ready after 14 days

regards,Matjaz

Attachments

#30 ·
Re: Automatic Navigation Lock WITH SIRIUS RADIO ANTENA

hi,

today we make prototyp of new holder
this holder you can us with or without Sirius antenna

thanks again Tom (motorhead1977) and Donald (dwlmrs) for helps
and both will receive a new holder for free :)

new holder will be ready after 14 days

regards,Matjaz
Matjaz, It was an honor to assist in this development. Thank you.

#33 ·
Matjaz, This is great news. I look forward to receiving the new part and changing all the Navi Lock parts over to it so my Sirius antenna mount is in the correct location. :thumb: Tom

#35 ·
Thanks. I am excited to try it out. I will let you know and include photos as soon as it is received and installed.

Reactions: deserttan
#36 ·
New mounting plate just arrived in today's mail. If my client's case in a local court this evening does not keep me there a long time I hope to have it installed with photos taken this evening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.