R1200RT-P rear crash bars? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GSinNC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 28th, 2018, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

Garage
R1200RT-P rear crash bars?

Does anyone know if the RTW-P rear crash bars can be acquired and used on a non-police RTW?

I currently have Ilium crash bars fore and aft.
I also wanted to install the rear splash guards but the two parts aren't compatible.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 28th, 2018, 11:25 pm

Re: R1200RT-P rear crash bars?

Just curious if you have the Illium Works Bars on front AND rear why would you want the police motors bars?

Pretty sure they can be bought and believe they should fit.

this may help

BMW Motorrad Police Motors
meese likes this.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 29th, 2018, 6:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

It is early morning here, and I'm enjoying quiet morning coffee while checking this forum. I'm probably not very qualified to comment on this subject, but a short google trip through pics of RT-P models makes me think they will probably fit the bike, but not protect the rear panniers unless you have the Police rear bags. For the most part, versions of the police bikes seem to show smaller/narrower rear panniers. Thus, I don't think the police bars will extend far enough to protect the civilian bags. Also, my aftermarket bars are constructed so that there are no extra holes drilled into the faring to accommodate the crash bar installation. On some of the police models, it looks like crash bars are bolted through the fairing. In looking at all the pics...I conclude not all RT-P versions are the same. Just like the civilian bikes, variation by year or destination of country/customer specifications probably influences the final assembly.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 29th, 2018, 10:20 am Thread Starter

Garage

Right. The problem is the Ilium bar connects to the bike through the triangular hole in the passenger foot peg assembly. This same hole is used to attach the splash guards.
The Police rear bars connect forward of this triangular hole.

Yes, the police "battle sags" do seem to be narrower.
I'll call my friend at the BMW dealer to see what he can figure out.

I'll probably call Ilium too.
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 29th, 2018, 11:44 am

I'm in the same situation. I have the Illium bars front and rear and they are fine for the standard configuration. However I have Helwig City Bag lids that I put on which narrow the rear by 4 inches each side. If I keep the Ilium rear bars on they stick out really far and look weird. I was thinking of buying a second set of rear bard (since they attache to the mounting plates) and have them cut down, or try and have someone bend me a new set. I hadn't thought about police bars as I already have the others. --Steve
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 29th, 2018, 12:20 pm

I'm interested as well. They look small enough that one could maybe run without bags without having it look like ass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in