Cruise control switch glitch - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By garr2
  • 1 Post By N00bie RT Gawd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Sep 20th, 2018, 6:15 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Cruise control switch glitch

I leave my cruise control 'OFF/ON' switch in the ON position all the time even when I turn the ignition off. I have done this with both my 2012RT and now my 2015. And I've also had trouble with the cruise control on both bikes. When the cruise control is set on a particular speed, pulling the SET/RES switch towards the rider was supposed to reduce the set speed by 2kph, pull it twice and it reduced by 4 kph etc. After a period of time this functionality ceased, pulling the toggle towards me just cancelled cruise control rather than reduce the set speed. This problem persisted for months until for some reason I turned the cruise control off before turning the ignition off and putting the bike in the garage. Next day I start the bike, ride off, use cruise control and its fine including using the toggle to reduce the set speed. Did the turning cruise control off before turning the ignition off force a reset when turning the ignition on the next day?
I have had another intermittent problem (the audio system not recognising a USB) that seemed to be cured by turning the ignition off then back on.
Anyone else had the same cruise control problem ..... and the same solution?

Ian
mpears53 likes this.

My plan is to live forever. So far so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Sep 20th, 2018, 7:55 am

Garage
Re: Cruise control switch glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by garr2 View Post
I leave my cruise control 'OFF/ON' switch in the ON position all the time even when I turn the ignition off. I have done this with both my 2012RT and now my 2015. And I've also had trouble with the cruise control on both bikes. When the cruise control is set on a particular speed, pulling the SET/RES switch towards the rider was supposed to reduce the set speed by 2kph, pull it twice and it reduced by 4 kph etc. After a period of time this functionality ceased, pulling the toggle towards me just cancelled cruise control rather than reduce the set speed. This problem persisted for months until for some reason I turned the cruise control off before turning the ignition off and putting the bike in the garage. Next day I start the bike, ride off, use cruise control and its fine including using the toggle to reduce the set speed. Did the turning cruise control off before turning the ignition off force a reset when turning the ignition on the next day?
I have had another intermittent problem (the audio system not recognising a USB) that seemed to be cured by turning the ignition off then back on.
Anyone else had the same cruise control problem ..... and the same solution?

Ian
This is very common when the tire pressure is low. It's a "feature" BMW engineers designed into the system to prevent global warming when the bike senses too many dead insects on the right front panel.
Pabst likes this.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #3 of 18 Old Sep 20th, 2018, 8:22 am

My cruise is on all the time and no problems. Now I do have the USB issue and it is quite annoying. Sense I have switched to a sena headset I use the media player in the gps for music and that problem is solved.

2014 R 1200 RT
2016 S 1000 XR

post #4 of 18 Old Sep 20th, 2018, 8:26 am

My 2017 RT cruise does the the same thing as the original poster mentioned (Resume cancels cruise). Worked correctly when bike was purchased new. I also leave mine on all the time, but will try the off process mentioned above and report back.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 Old Sep 20th, 2018, 9:13 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfbeemer View Post
My cruise is on all the time and no problems. Now I do have the USB issue and it is quite annoying. Sense I have switched to a sena headset I use the media player in the gps for music and that problem is solved.
I have not seen the cruise control problem, but I have experienced the USB problem 1 time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 R1200RT
2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
1987 K100RS (12/2015 - 12/2016)
1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)
post #6 of 18 Old Sep 20th, 2018, 9:27 am

had the cruise issue intermittently since new. Worked fine for the shop the one time I had it in for warranty work and I have just lived with it. I will try turning off also to see if it makes a difference for me also ... perhaps that will explain the "intermittent" aspect of the issue for me.

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90
SCBMWRC / MOA / Airhead Beemer Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old Sep 20th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroover View Post
My 2017 RT cruise does the the same thing as the original poster mentioned (Resume cancels cruise). Worked correctly when bike was purchased new. I also leave mine on all the time, but will try the off process mentioned above and report back.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
My 14' did the same. Worked for about a year fine then started doing strange things. Any pulls backs acted as a set/cancel. In the end even changing the lights from high beam to low beam would cause the cruise control to cancel. I got mine replaced under warranty and it has been fine since. It is a rather weak part of the unit

Previous Bikes:

Honda VFR800 2011
Honda VFR1200 2012
post #8 of 18 Old Sep 21st, 2018, 12:02 am

Yep
My 2014 LC is now doing the same. It cancels on the pull back instead of resume/slow down.
I have done a reset via the GS911 and also turned turned the Cruise Control OFF, which I always left on.
I will check on the next ride to see if it makes any difference.
But the way...my Cruise Control ON/OFF slider switch was the only part that failed on my bike within weeks of owning it (from brand new). It was replaced under warranty.

2014 R1200RT-SE/LC Ebony Metallic
post #9 of 18 Old Sep 21st, 2018, 7:15 am

Garage

I'm curious as to whether the those seeing the problem ride in the rain often or wash their bikes with a hose (which could effect the switch internals).

The switches should be able to handle this, but maybe they can't.

2016 R1200RT
post #10 of 18 Old Sep 21st, 2018, 7:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
I'm curious as to whether the those seeing the problem ride in the rain often or wash their bikes with a hose (which could effect the switch internals).

The switches should be able to handle this, but maybe they can't.
I ride in all sorts of weather and definitely wash my bike with a hose and soapy water. I don't think that is the issue because the replacement switch is fine and has been for 3 years now. I think they had a bad batch of switches as around the time mine failed there was quite a lot of noise about them failing.
They certainly should be able to handle rain and such as they are always out in the open.

Previous Bikes:

Honda VFR800 2011
Honda VFR1200 2012
post #11 of 18 Old Sep 21st, 2018, 8:34 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
I ride in all sorts of weather and definitely wash my bike with a hose and soapy water. I don't think that is the issue because the replacement switch is fine and has been for 3 years now. I think they had a bad batch of switches as around the time mine failed there was quite a lot of noise about them failing.
Interesting, I hadn't heard about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
They certainly should be able to handle rain and such as they are always out in the open.
This what prompted my question. They should be able to handle moisture, but maybe they don't.

2016 R1200RT
post #12 of 18 Old Sep 21st, 2018, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
This is very common when the tire pressure is low. It's a "feature" BMW engineers designed into the system to prevent global warming when the bike senses too many dead insects on the right front panel.
post #13 of 18 Old May 26th, 2019, 7:22 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Eight months after posing the theory that my cruise control glitch was caused by leaving the cruise control activated even when the ignition was off, I haven't had any further problems.
I simply make sure it is turned off when not in use. Others have posted that they leave theirs on and not experienced any problems. I can't explain it ... but that's not unusual

I'd be interested to hear back from sgroover, CWRoady & Alfred02

Ian

My plan is to live forever. So far so good.

Last edited by garr2; May 26th, 2019 at 6:57 pm.
post #14 of 18 Old May 26th, 2019, 5:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Eight months after posing the theory that my cruise control glitch was caused by leaving the cruise control activated even when the ignition was off, I haven't had any further problems.
I simply make sure it is turned off when not in use. Others have posted that they leave theirs on and not experienced any problems. I can't explain it ... but that's not unusual

Ian
How does one turn the cruise off. Disengaged by canceling in any number of ways. Does sliding the lock out do something besides mechanically locking the Cruise out? Does that slider electrically disconnect the cruise? I have had no issues with my 16RT. I had issues with mo 09 1300GT.

McWideglide

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
post #15 of 18 Old May 27th, 2019, 6:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWideglide View Post
Quote:

Ian
How does one turn the cruise off. Disengaged by canceling in any number of ways. Does sliding the lock out do something besides mechanically locking the Cruise out? Does that slider electrically disconnect the cruise? I have had no issues with my 16RT. I had issues with mo 09 1300GT.
Good question
post #16 of 18 Old May 27th, 2019, 8:31 am

The only issue I had on my 2012 was the defective switch block. Replaced twice under warranty and campaign recall.
Since then no issues. I always leave my switch ON. The ON position is like a standby mode ready to engage at the flip of a switch. It's all personal preference. I dont see any problem whether you leave it ON or OFF.
post #17 of 18 Old May 27th, 2019, 8:54 am

Here's the BMW diagnostic. It works on my 2012 RT and probably works on others as well

1. With the ignition switch OFF, switch on the cruise control

2. Press and hold the SET button to the SET position and switch ON ignition switch (SET LIGHT comes on)

3. Release the SET button (LIGHT GOES OFF), move to RESET (Resume) position (LIGHT)

4. Release the button (LIGHT OFF)
4a Switch OFF the cruise control switch (LIGHT ON)

5. Switch the cruise control switch back on (LIGHT OFF)

6. Close throttle. (LIGHT), release throttle. (LIGHT OFF)

7. Pull clutch lever (LIGHT), release clutch lever (LIGHT OFF)

8. Pull front brake lever (LIGHT) release lever (LIGHT OFF)

9. Push foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON), hold for 5 seconds (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF release foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON)

10. Rotate rear wheel (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF ON)

11. Switch off ignition
post #18 of 18 Old May 29th, 2019, 2:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Out of curiosity I went and played with my cruise control to see how to turn it off. First the slide switch does say on / off on it. Now to see if it is a lock out mechanically or electrical.
On center stand , sides tand up I ran the bike in 3rd. Well above the 5-6 mph that it will activate. At aprox 30 indicated ground speed I hit set. No good. Fooled a bit and decided the center stand must have an interlock to prevent activation. Or maybe the Traction Control was getting in the way as the front wheel was not turning. In the future I will deactivate that and see if it works or not.
Took the bike for a short ride. Set cruise. Moved on / off switch to off. Cruise canceled. So now I know there is a circuit interrupt not just mechanical lock out. I still leave my cruise switch in on position. Until I find out there is an electrical drain on the battery.

McWideglide

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in