BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Best seat for an RT

25K views 68 replies 34 participants last post by  Dann323 
#1 ·
What is the best seat for loooong touring on an RT

#2 ·
#4 ·
Part of making a seat comfortable for LONG rides is surface area. Russell Day-Long seats have the most "surface area" of any aftermarket seat for the RT. 1 to 1 1/2" taller? When sitting on it that might be true. When putting your feet down, not quite so much. They can build the front half more narrow, allowing you to slide forward when you stop and put your legs down. Height is important, but the width of the seat means just as much. Making the front more narrow allows your legs to be more vertical. Learning the habit to slide forward at stops becomes second nature. These seats are not that much taller when you learn how to use them.

I would rather be on tip toes for the 1/2% of the time I am riding than putting up with a sore butt!

I tried several different brands of off the shelf aftermarket seats, along with "custom" seats on my old RT. Nothing was in the same league as the Russell. Put one on the new RT first thing and have not had ANY desire to even try something else!

#6 ·
Set the R1200RTW's seat in the LOW position.

I started out that way, but after the seat was broken in I switched the RT to the high position.

Reactions: MBevans
#57 ·
I noticed that the RDL seat has broken down a little after 3 months of riding. I sent mine back to Russell Cycle Products to have them take a look at it. They said the material broke down and replaced it by cutting it out and putting new material on it. My complaint to them was the seat was pushing me forward and felt like a scrunched up pillow at first. I just took it out a couple of days ago and after a four hour ride, it feels like it is pushing me forward while cruising along on level ground. It feels good while on the gas or on slight uphill. I was wandering if that is the reason the other rider switched the RT to the high position?

#7 ·
I have Sargent seats on my ‘06 RT and ‘07 K1200GT (and on previous bikes) and can ride all day without discomfort in my butt. I’ve done 600+ mile days stopping only for gas, lunch, bathroom, and not having to stop for butt relief.

Many good seats are available, Sargent is jut my preference.

Joe

#8 ·
Here is my report on seats, I asked the questions about seat in case I had missed something new that might have come out for the RT/s since my last one.

I had a Sargent on an 09 RT and it was good

I had another sargent on a 2014 and it allowed a lot of vibration up through the frame to my butt at slab speeds. Did not like it.

The problem with the RDL is altered height, if you don't mind that they are probably, at least, one of the best seats. Even if you get used to the tip-toeing, your riding position is higher and that effects aerodynamics as well as leaning over into the bar even more.

I have had disastrous seat experiences with Corbin, the Meyer brothers (both), and ultimate.

The best seat maker I found 'so far' is Seth Laam. I have had 3 seat shaped by him in three different bike and they were about as good as a seat can be made without having to raise it. If you have to add two inches worth of material/spring to a seat to make it comfortable, that ain't no accomplishment. I can stuff a pillow under a seat and make it more comfortable. A good seat maker can shape a seat well enough to make it comfortable for you--particularly.

#9 ·
The best seat maker I found 'so far' is Seth Laam. I have had 3 seat shaped by him in three different bike and they were about as good as a seat can be made without having to raise it. If you have to add two inches worth of material/spring to a seat to make it comfortable, that ain't no accomplishment. I can stuff a pillow under a seat and make it more comfortable. A good seat maker can shape a seat well enough to make it comfortable for you--particularly.
Well, it sounds like you have asked a question only to promote the answer you wanted to hear. You have found Seth Laam seats to be good enough for you. So, why bash the industry leader? It appears you have never owned a Russell.

As for adding two inches of material or springs to seat to make it comfortable, that is a gross exaggeration. If referring to Russell seats, and I assume that is your subject as they are the only ones to add springs. Yes, you will sit taller. But not two inches. Accomplishment? Well, just observe the start of any Iron Butt rally and count the Russell seats. Then, if you have time, count the other brands.

#11 ·
I think the 1.5 - 2" is an exaggeration, it's 1 - 1.5", ask me how I know. When I put my new seat on last spring, after getting the bike out of storage, I scared the hell out of myself when I found I was on the tips of my toes. I called Russel, they said it will relax a bit, and it has, but if not happy to send it back and they would adjust. The seat solved my leg pain problem and I'm happy with it. I'm doing more "one footin" now, and have gotten used to it. No difference in aerodynamics found due to this slight difference.

#12 ·
In my experience with a RDL on my RTW (and an FJR before that) it isn't so much a change in height of the seat that causes problems at a stop - for me it was the fact that the seat is a bit wider in front. It was fairly easy to learn to slide forward a bit when stopping to allow better foot contact on the ground.

On my FJR I did a ride-in appointment and they were able to make adjustments to the front of the seat while building it to address the issue.

I'm not sure it is any higher while settled in for the long haul. I haven't measured it, but also haven't sat there thinking about how much higher I was seated either. In fact, I really didn't think about the seat at all...which is kind of the desired outcome I suppose.

#13 ·
Good post

Indeed not even noticing the seat is indicative of sitting-comfort-excellence.

My problem is that I ride in a very crowded metro for 9 months out of the year, and the tip-toeing around lights, cars and stop signs is not good for me.

I am also an old fart and I come from days when riders would sit 'inside' a bike (ala chopper) and these sitting up 'on-top' of the bike has been an adjustment for me. One RT I bought with an OEM low seat and ough ouch!!! by the time I was half way down the West coast from WA my rear-buttso was numb. I scrambled into a cycle gear for a jelly-pad with which I barely made it to Diego without losing my nalgas along the way..

I may try the RDL again if they can do something for me on the height.I like to learn that slide forward trick. Thank for your post

#15 · (Edited)
In respect to all that have responded, am glad you have found what you need! Is not an easy task, and no
other rider can tell you what will work for you! If you have ever had the chance to sit on the bike with
wet shorts, will notice a limited area that actually is wet! A seat does not have to be so large to be comfortable.
And the wider, the les comfortable for the inseam challenged riders. The material that the cover is made of makes a huge difference.
A soft leather is great, yet requires attention and maintenance. The foam density is also a major factor. A layer of gel makes a huge difference. Airhawk works great for me. Ad a covering of sheepskin and it makes it even better. To bad you have to worry about removing them when parked. They tend to walk away when are not under supervision! In my case, am trying out my modified extra low seat with a gel sheet under the cover, and soft lather.
Am still expecting to use the Alaskan sheepskin cover on the long runs, https://alaskaleather.com/collections/sheepskin-buttpads
makes a pleasant difference. Cool when summer hot, warm when off season is here.

#16 ·
I’m in the same boat (or bike) as you. I bought a OEM Low with my new RTW, what a poor comfort wise for me, 31” inseam. After 1500 butt-burning miles. I installed the OEM regular height seat and even though I can’t plant both seat, I sat in a much better position anyway with the regular height. But IMO the stock seat after 500 miles is a torture rack absolutely.

RDL is a great seat, and maybe it could it could work for me, IF it was built narrow in the front, as everyone’s previous thoughts are very valid here bout his seats. I have a couple of friends that have his seats and they love ‘em.

But Seth Lamm is also an excellent seat builder, and he’s 100 miles away from me. Some of his recent seats on his Facebook page for the RTW bikes look damn nice.

One of these two builders will get my $$$.$$ very soon
Good luck with your decision
Cheers!

#19 ·
Funny you should write about how things are perceived or taken on forums.

You obviously are looking forward to a cup of the best coffee you have ever had at my humble estate. However, it is about 800 miles to get into Missouri from here in Texas where I live. Not a bit above meeting there sometime, as I simply love to go to Cotter, Arkansas occasionally.

Since "Missouri City" is a suburb on the Southwest side of Houston, Texas, you can see how things can easily get discombobulated when reading forums! :grin:

#20 ·
Hahahahahhaaa. That is really hilarious.

Well you can count on that cup of Texan coffee soon enough then, cause I travel through San Antonio and Dallas every Summer. I do consider myself a resident and member of the Citizens Republic of Texas. Though I don't live there anymore.

This Summer I might stop in Houston to get a Klock Werks 'Quiet Ride' shield from them guys, so save your money: I usually drink two cups at a time.

#22 ·
I stand corrected on that one. Must be one of them dyslexia-forum readings. For some reason (I guess due to the word Werks) I thought they were the same company.

At any rate, I am gonna pass through Houston to see Terry in Werks Parts. I 'll see ya then lest the Lord calls me to ride upstairs.

#24 ·
I never miss a chance to spam my seats again. I have a set of Sargent World Sport Performance low seats that i'd love to sell. They do not have heat. They were used for the three months that i was on the waiting list for my RDL. These Sargent seats are in perfect condition. Please message me with your email and i will send pics. I'm looking for $400 shipped. Remember that is for a front AND rear in perfect condition. Reasonable enough to try, in my humble, biased opinion. The seats fit water cooled RT's.

#28 ·
i'm prob a minority, but the stock seat worked perfect for my 17-18 day Detroit to Alaska and back trip. i did use the beads for the seat, not sure if they did anything or not. Stock seat will stay as long as i own the bike, i find comfortable on long days (15-18hr / 1k miles+ days)

#30 ·
...[Sidebar; Having one of the best sport-tourers made and one of the most expensive one should not just about break down in tears on a 650 mile day because of a simple seat, or maybe I’m just a tender arse.....
Ah, but it's not a "simple seat", it's simply a seat that sucks.[/QUOTE]

I think this is one of the perpetual problems with manufacturers. They market products for mass acceptance. In the case of RT (and other motorcycle seats as well), many riders end up complaining about the bad ergonomic of seats. Well these seats have been design to make the motorcycle pleasing to the eye, flow with the motorcycle visual lines in order to motivate sales but void of ergonomic considerations.

BMW is not interested in making comfortable seats, otherwise they would. They are more interested in the image impact that would motivate a sale of the bike.

Thats what aftermarket seat makers live off of.

#31 ·
when i buy a new bike, there are a few things that i know i will have to do - seat, aux lights, usually (but not always) windscreen, and aux fuel. i don't get upset, because the manufacturer isn't building a custom bike for me. it would be nice if they offered the items i look for as factory options, but branding them BMW items would probably cost me more and i barely trust anyone except myself to install the items that i want properly, like i would install them anyway. i enjoy setting up a bike perfectcly for myself for long distance riding, and aftermarket seats are the only way to do that (in my opinion).

#36 ·
I have a question for 14-18 rt owners that have actually put Sargent seats on their wc bikes.

How well do the seat pans and seat actually fit the contours of the bike around the tank, sides, and rear of the seat. I've read posts that infer poor and "sloppy" fit but people aren't specific about which seat and which year their rt is.

Thanks in advance.

#37 ·
On my '14 R1200RT, the Sargent Low heated rider seat does not fit as snug as the OEM regular seat - there is some side to side and rocking action. Not horrible, nor have I noticed it when riding but you can definitely move it without much effort when I am off the bike. I will probably email them at some point to get some suggestions on how to remedy. Haven't been riding much due to the weather so it hasn't been a priority. I haven't fitted the matching pillion yet - again, waiting for better weather.

This might be why most other seat manufs insist on using the OEM seat pan - potential can of worms with seat fitting and BUTT fitting.

The '13 F800GT that I had before the R1200RT had a Sargent on it when I bought it and the fit on the bike was horrible - so bad that I had to remove it.

#41 ·
I was thinking in terms of: if someone wanted to have a seat build by an aftermarketeer other than Sargent, the seat pan appears to be a bit wider than the stock thus, more space for a seat-builder to work with.

I thing the Sargent seat pan has a compartment for small tools that the OEM does not, if I recall correctly

#42 ·
I was thinking in terms of: if someone wanted to have a seat build by an aftermarketeer other than Sargent, the seat pan appears to be a bit wider than the stock thus, more space for a seat-builder to work with.

I thing the Sargent seat pan has a compartment for small tool that the OEM does not, if I recall correctly
Thanks Wethead, that makes sense and would be a good option for me....except I've got to know that it's going to fit right before I would consider doing that....and I don't know, but would not be surprised if another seat maker might do it, but say upfront that there will be no guarantee or return of a seat they build on someone else's pan. That could be an expensive and time consuming "misadventure".

Perhaps the BMW "comfort seat" is the way for me to go. I've got to do something and have ruled out RDL after talking to them about my height, weight and inseam. 5'10", 178 pounds, 30 inch inseam. i definitely got the impression they couldn't help me.

#44 ·
A seat for every butt.

New 17 GS.

Had a friend who has a new Sargent he let me try. 150 miles and my sit bones hurt for two days! Not gonna work and a shame as at 300 bucks it was a deal.

Not wanting a RDL even though I have ran one for 11 years, I did not want the height on a Low GS.

I been using the Danny Gray IST/AirHawk Low seat for the last 450 miles and think it is going to be fine. I am still working with the amount of air to fill it with but it is seems my butt likes it fuller then they recommend. I think we will get close to 250-300 miles today so will be a good test for a bit of distance.

It takes a bit of time for any seat to break in or is it your butt breaking in?

If you have the legs there is NO substitute for a RDL, none! It is just a high seat no two ways around it. I tried Corbin on a 2003 Sportster and it was one of the most comfortable seat I had ridden.

I tried a Corbin on my LT and hated it.

Seems different bikes, the way you sit them, and a manufacturer may fit nice on one bike but not another. Would be nice if they had a ride and try. Bare bones shipping cost to you with a deposit and a 30 day trial would be nice for sure. Probable impossible to do but it would help you find a good fit for butt, and the bike you are on.

I can not say at this point the Danny Gray IST/AirHawk is the best but I can say it is better then a Sargent for me.

Being spoiled by a RDL is hell.

#46 ·
I wish we could get Russell Day Long's and Seth Lamm seats in the UK.
I think I'd be up for one. But getting it across from the 'States is just too expensive. We can get Sargent seats, but I am not yet convinced they offer enough for the price.

#49 ·
The beads worked great on my Gold Wing, but didn't work at all for me on the rt. The rt seat brings me forward into the tank. That combined with beads and cordura riding pants could only be described as "slippery futility" of having to push myself back every 5 minutes or less. If they work for you, they are great in the summer....but they will freeze your cods when it cools off.

I have some "like new" beads for the rt if anyone is interested PM me.

#51 ·
I started with the stock seat. At a couple of hours i started to fell uncomfortable. Got an Airhawk that could take me thru the day with relative comfort but i had to adjust and tweek it to get it to work right.
I ordered a Sargent ultra seat because I did not want to send in my stock seat in to russell. I heard some decent reviews on this seat.
Sargent is relatively comfortable for a 8 hour day, no longer. Then out would come the airhawk.

I had a russell seat custom made for me on my st1300 honda. I did not have to think about the seat it just worked. I had done 800 mile days without comfort problems. Then up the next day for more. That is the benchmark. Hard to beat the Russell for comfort.

Is the Russell is just as good on the bmw I do not know. Got a little scared off by the height requirement. I have a 29" inseam. Like to hear more about how the russell works before I have one made.

#52 ·
I have a 29" inseam. Like to hear more about how the russell works before I have one made.
I also have a 29" inseam and got a rdl last year for my '16 RT. Before I committed, I spoke to a Russell rep about my concerns about height and he said they would do their best to minimize the increased height but simply wouldn't compromise comfort for seat height. It was a challenge to get used to the raised height. I could move forward when stopping as others have said but it was a real struggle to back up or stop when the road sloped the wrong way. On a cross country trip last fall I got caught at a construction area and dropped the fully loaded bike. Bummer.

This winter I bit the bullet and installed lowered shocks from beemershop. Very expensive solution but now I'm happy with the most comfortable seat and I can flat foot. I'm riding with confidence in total comfort. I've also learned to move my butt a bit while leaning but I don't have anywhere near the same ease to shift my weight while aggressive cornering. I can live with that.

#53 ·
Originally posted by littlebriar

"I also have a 29" inseam and got a rdl last year for my '16 RT. Before I committed, I spoke to a Russell rep about my concerns about height and he said they would do their best to minimize the increased height but simply wouldn't compromise comfort for seat height. It was a challenge to get used to the raised height. I could move forward when stopping as others have said but it was a real struggle to back up or stop when the road sloped the wrong way. On a cross country trip last fall I got caught at a construction area and dropped the fully loaded bike. Bummer.

This winter I bit the bullet and installed lowered shocks from beemershop. Very expensive solution but now I'm happy with the most comfortable seat and I can flat foot. I'm riding with confidence in total comfort. I've also learned to move my butt a bit while leaning but I don't have anywhere near the same ease to shift my weight while aggressive cornering. I can live with that."

Thanks for that reply, just saw your post. Still using the sargent, although i would like to try a rdl before I order one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.