BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

GS Tires for 2014 R1200RT?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jkersh1 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a trip with friends, all on GSs, to Alaska; lots of slick gravel roads. Does anyone have experience or can anyone recommend a "universal" tire or a GS tire that will fit/work on my 14 R1200RT?

I've asked this same question of BMW engineers at Daytona Bike Week, and they laughed me out of the tent: "Crazy American!" (why ever would he do that?) Ya, buy a GS!

I can't buy a GS just for this trip, and there has to be a tire, right?

Thanks!:nerd:

#2 ·
DO keep in mind that the GS has a 19" front wheel vs. the RT's 17".

#3 ·
Thanks, Pad. Yep, I'm aware. If I can fid a universal that will fit the 17' rims, I next need to think about the ABS sensor impact.

I was kind of just hoping someone would pop up with: "Yes, did it and it worked fine with (Fill in the blank) tires.

Was wondering about tires from my F650GS, for example...

Tom

#6 ·
#7 ·
Check out the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II Dual Sport Tires. Does come in a 17 inch front.

From Revzilla's website:
The Pirelli Scorpion Trail II Tires were specifically designed to meet the versatility of the modern adventure touring motorcycle. They feature an aggressive tread pattern supported by strong technological innovations, giving good stability even at high speed, excellent traction on dirt as well as superior handling, comfort and grip in all riding conditions.
Tread Pattern:

The tread pattern of Pirelli Scorpion Trail II Tires have an aggressive look typical of an off-road tire, but that combines the greatest features of an enduro tire with those of a sport touring tire. The side grooves have been designed to ensure optimal drainage of water, while the layout and shape of the central grooves not only contribute to the drainage of water but also ensure better traction, greater stability and normal wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.