R1200rt Starting Issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By golf18
  • 1 Post By krpuppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 10:19 am Thread Starter

Question R1200rt Starting Issue

I searched through the forums and was unable to find anything that could potentially help me solve my problem. If this has been discussed and I missed it could you please forward me to the topic and no need to take up space or bother anyone?

My bike won't start and worried there may be several issues. It is a 2008 R200RT. First, the fuel gauge is claiming the tank is empty, however I have put almost 2 gallons in the tank so I know there is fuel and it should show an amount. I have never had a fuel gauge issue before. It was low originally and on reserve before I added more fuel, but right now it doesn't register fuel even when I turn on the bike and let it sit for a bit. The fuel gauge stays showing empty and the fuel tank icon flashing. Second, I hear the fuel pump make a noise when I turn on the bike. It runs for a second or two. Third, when I try to crank the bike it pops out the pipes, but it never starts or even tries to sputter as if there is fuel in the cylinder or plugs firing. My first thought is bad fuel pump or fuel controller, but from what I understand when I heard the pump run it was pressuring the fuel system and there should be some fuel going to the cylinders. So shouldn't it try to turn over and start or fire? Since I am getting pops out the pipes I would assume the plugs are firing but maybe they aren't? So, I am stumped but of course I am no expert. Any help or advise would be appreciated, at the moment it seems I may have to tow it to the shop for repairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 11:19 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Re: R1200rt Starting Issue

I guess the first question is how is your battery?

I am not sure a bad fuel strip will stop your bike from starting but try a search withing the forum?

Just trying to get everyone thinking.........

EDIT: Did a search and bad switch has been blamed for your symptoms. Some said spraying the switch with WD-40.

My SO Father was on his 3rd strip on his 2008 RT and I do not see where it causes a no start condition.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; Oct 3rd, 2016 at 11:28 am.
post #3 of 36 Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 12:10 pm Thread Starter

Replaced the battery as it was dead. So that is new. As for the fuel strip that requires a computer calibration for the unit does it not? Also, you said a bad switch? What switch do you mean specifically?

post #4 of 36 Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 12:18 pm

Assuming your 2008 is similar to my 2012 with a few exceptions. The fuel pump cycle is normal. The fuel quantity if it works like my 2012 will not move if you only added a couple of gallons. There is logic to this so it is not straight forward. We have different fuel transmitters but I bet other than that they operate similar. If your concerned about the quantity indication then fill the tank to full and it should come up on the indication. Try cycling the kill switch and see if you notice any differences on the display. On my 2012 the fuel indication goes blank as well as the oil temp indication. The red circle flash with brake failure goes out. This is when the kill switch is activated. Verify your battery is good. Clean contacts. Try to measure the cranking voltage. It should not drop below 10 volts. Give the battery a top off charge then try again. Check the coil connection to the plugs. An occasional pop means intermittent ignition. Is your fuel fresh? Did you perform any kind of maintenence recently? If so go back check what you did. Keep us posted, Good Luck.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #5 of 36 Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 12:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by krpuppy View Post
As for the fuel strip that requires a computer calibration for the unit does it not? Also, you said a bad switch? What switch do you mean specifically?
I am not too sure what switch he is talking about. Some say the fuel strip need calibrating, others do not. One thing, the fuel strip is under a 12 year extended warranty, so have a dealer replace it. Also, when the dealer installs a new fuel strip, they should update the software on the bike. They had to do this on mine before calibrating the fuel strip (so I assume they do calibrate it). I am on my third fuel strip.
Since you did not provide much information on your bike, it could be the fuel pump controller. Look to see if you have a silver or black controller. The older units are silver, with the newer units black. They had a issue where water would get inside them and create the no start problems. I have attached a picture of the fuel pump controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel_Pump_Controller.JPG
Views:	1115
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	116529  

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 36 Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

I called Motorrad and found out my bike has a recall on the fuel pump, an extended warranty on the fuel sensor (12 years) and a rear wheel flange recall none of which has been done. (I bought the bike used.)

I know the battery is fine, it was tested when I bought it and I have kept it on a tender. I can try to start the bike for a while before the battery would even lose enough amps. I also cleaned the contacts when I changed the batter, however one may have a short. There are two red wires connected. One must go to the starter, and guessing the other goes to the fuel pump and electronics but that is a total guess. Could one be shorted out and not getting the plugs to fire although everything else seems to work?

I could top it off and see what happens, right now I am guessing there is about two gallons worth of fuel and from my understanding the reserve is 1.25 gallons.

I did try cycling the kill switch, I also tried the throttle re calibration procedure where you open it fully, then close, with the kill switch on for 3-4 times. Wanted to make sure the throttle sensor was right. This was the process I found online somewhere on calibrating it. That didn't do anything obviously.

I don't have any engine lights on, but the red brake light does come on.

Last edited by krpuppy; Oct 3rd, 2016 at 3:03 pm.
post #7 of 36 Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 5:25 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I read this thread.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-serie...rt-switch.html

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #8 of 36 Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

Interesting. I will spray some WD40 on the starter switch and see if it helps.
post #9 of 36 Old Oct 4th, 2016, 4:31 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Interesting. I will spray some WD40 on the starter switch and see if it helps.
Not sure if it is your issue or not but it was something I found in a search on the forum.

Also remember a new battery does not equal a good battery. I would do as suggested and see what your voltage drops to when trying to start the bike.

If bad fuel I would think you would get a start just poor idle or running.

You do anything or add anything to the bike recently?

Please let us know what you find.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 36 Old Oct 4th, 2016, 7:55 am

Garage

Quote:
I searched through the forums and was unable to find anything that could potentially help me solve my problem. If this has been discussed and I missed it could you please forward me to the topic and no need to take up space or bother anyone?

My bike won't start and worried there may be several issues. It is a 2008 R200RT. First, the fuel gauge is claiming the tank is empty, however I have put almost 2 gallons in the tank so I know there is fuel and it should show an amount. I have never had a fuel gauge issue before. It was low originally and on reserve before I added more fuel, but right now it doesn't register fuel even when I turn on the bike and let it sit for a bit. The fuel gauge stays showing empty and the fuel tank icon flashing. Second, I hear the fuel pump make a noise when I turn on the bike. It runs for a second or two. Third, when I try to crank the bike it pops out the pipes, but it never starts or even tries to sputter as if there is fuel in the cylinder or plugs firing. My first thought is bad fuel pump or fuel controller, but from what I understand when I heard the pump run it was pressuring the fuel system and there should be some fuel going to the cylinders. So shouldn't it try to turn over and start or fire? Since I am getting pops out the pipes I would assume the plugs are firing but maybe they aren't? So, I am stumped but of course I am no expert. Any help or advise would be appreciated, at the moment it seems I may have to tow it to the shop for repairs.
Just to clarify, the engine turns when you hit the start? In that case, would that not mean the start switch is working as it should? I comes down to spark and fuel at that point.
post #11 of 36 Old Oct 4th, 2016, 11:08 am Thread Starter

The engine turns over it just won't fire or run at all. The starter is clearly turning over the motor.

No, haven't added anything other than the new battery. That battery was tested before I even left the bike shop too. I am 99% certain it isn't the battery, but maybe one of the connectors is the problem, just not sure what each of the two red leads are operating independently.
post #12 of 36 Old Oct 4th, 2016, 11:52 am

Have you tried opening the throttle a little while cranking?

Larry
2006 R1200RT
post #13 of 36 Old Oct 4th, 2016, 11:59 am

Have you tried opening the throttle a little while cranking?

Battery sounds good. It's unlikely you would lose spark to both sides at once.

Check a spark plug to see if it is wet.

It's sounding more like the FPC.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
post #14 of 36 Old Oct 5th, 2016, 10:15 am

Quote:

Once the fuel light comes on it takes a while of riding after filling up for the fuel light to come off and for it to show fuel in the tank again, maybe a half minute or so. I can't confirm whether the bike needs to be running for it to come off of "reserve", but I suspect it does.
It's not the starter switch, the engine cranks over. Maybe get a can of starting fluid and spray into the airbox then try to start it - this would confirm if it's a fuel issue.

'06 R1200RT
post #15 of 36 Old Oct 5th, 2016, 10:51 am Thread Starter

I have tried the throttle. Thought of that one. Haven't thought of spraying something into the intake or airbox. Any idea where that is located?
post #16 of 36 Old Oct 5th, 2016, 11:03 am

Quote:
I have tried the throttle. Thought of that one. Haven't thought of spraying something into the intake or airbox. Any idea where that is located?
You have to take the seat and right side plastic off and you will see the airbox. If you get it to come briefly to life after spraying starting fluid (don't try anything other than starting fluid) I'd then remove the rest of the plastic and tank and check all connections to the fuel pump and tank.
This is what I'd do at this point, maybe someone has a better suggestion, but I would go after a fuel related solution.

'06 R1200RT

Last edited by erikrichard; Oct 5th, 2016 at 11:10 am.
post #17 of 36 Old Oct 5th, 2016, 5:38 pm

Smile Re: R1200rt Starting Issue

Perhaps it's time to take it to a qualified BMW shop to have your issue diagnosed.
LAF and 6speedTi like this.

Speed doesn't kill - Sudden impact does
post #18 of 36 Old Oct 6th, 2016, 1:34 pm Thread Starter

That is highly possible. Would at least like to know if it will fire so planning to try and spray into the intake. I do have a tow scheduled for Saturday just in case I can't figure it out or get it started.
post #19 of 36 Old Oct 6th, 2016, 5:07 pm

You always check the simple stuff first. Then the basic stuff. Then you look back to any recent work you did. Then see if any fault codes exist. ( not always possible ).
Then you bite the bullet and pursue professional help. For the bike that is. :-). In your case I think you did more than the average person. Don't sweat it.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #20 of 36 Old Oct 10th, 2016, 12:21 pm Thread Starter

Well, had no luck so had it towed for repair. While there learned that the fuel strip is a recall item along with fuel pump and rear wheel flange. Will no something tomorrow on the actual problem.
post #21 of 36 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 7:09 am Thread Starter

Well, turns out the FPC went bad. I am hoping to have them give me the old part so I can cut the leads and make a jumper in case this happens again. I don't want to pay to have the bike towed. Where I live the best price I could get was $160. On the positive side since their is a fuel pump recall I only have to pay for the part since the compartment that houses the fuel pump and FPC will already be opened.
Patric likes this.
post #22 of 36 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 8:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well, turns out the FPC went bad. I am hoping to have them give me the old part so I can cut the leads and make a jumper in case this happens again. I don't want to pay to have the bike towed. Where I live the best price I could get was $160. On the positive side since their is a fuel pump recall I only have to pay for the part since the compartment that houses the fuel pump and FPC will already be opened.
That was what I had suspected all along. The new FPC should give you little problems. DO make sure that it IS the new style and not an old style one that had been sitting in stock! The new, and better one will be powder-coated black, and the original problematic ones will be the raw "as-cast" silver. You should be able to get the old part back from your dealer, if you ask for it, since it is not being covered by any warranty, so that part is yours by all rights. Incidentally, you don't need that connector to provide a by-pass circuit. On my prior '07 RT, I had wired power from my fuse/distribution box to the location of the FPC, and capped that power conductor with a Posi-Tap fitting. I can give you specific details if you are interested.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #23 of 36 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
That was what I had suspected all along. The new FPC should give you little problems. DO make sure that it IS the new style and not an old style one that had been sitting in stock! The new, and better one will be powder-coated black, and the original problematic ones will be the raw "as-cast" silver. You should be able to get the old part back from your dealer, if you ask for it, since it is not being covered by any warranty, so that part is yours by all rights. Incidentally, you don't need that connector to provide a by-pass circuit. On my prior '07 RT, I had wired power from my fuse/distribution box to the location of the FPC, and capped that power conductor with a Posi-Tap fitting. I can give you specific details if you are interested.

Would love to know how!
post #24 of 36 Old Oct 17th, 2016, 9:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Would love to know how!
OK.

Start of with the problems. This is a well known issue with the earlier models R1200s. This will give you some insights of the numerous discussion in the past: Electronic Fuel-pump Controller ? HEX Code

The link for specific instructions of how to make a bypass cable is no longer there, BUT I had the foresight to capture it to a pdf file back then, and it is attached.

OK, so that is what most people would do, but I took a different and direct route on my '07 RT. I had routed a pair of conductors, with 12v power (+ and -) to the vicinity of the FPC (with slack), and capped the two conductors off with a Posi-Tap connectors. My intention was that if I had an FPC issues, I would use this power to run the fuel pump directly (which is exactly what you would do with the bypass cable!) To do so, you will need to pull the black connector from the top of the FPC, and remove the unit, which is the same process that you would have to do anyway to use the bypass cable. At this point, I would have attached the two conductors that was previously routed to this location to the Blue and Yellow conductors below the FPC, using the two Posi-Tap connectors! I also left myself a note, in a small zip-lock bag to identify the polarity of the blue and the yellow conductors. Nice and simple! Here is the present problem - I don't recall at this time the polarity of the 2 conductors below the FPC! You might do a search in the forum and you should find a post that I had written, which will give you that information, or I will post the info here, should I find the source where I had derived that piece of information.

PS: It is very important to make sure that the new FPC that the dealer put in for you is the newer black one!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuel Pump Controller Bypass.pdf (791.0 KB, 167 views)

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #25 of 36 Old Oct 17th, 2016, 9:34 am

kr... there are several things I want to throw into this conversation....

FIRST... WHERE ARE YOU? This has become a pet peeve of mine, and I am certainly not criticizing you for this, but If you would edit your personal info... you might, and probably will... find an experienced BMW guy who could have come over to help you.

Second... you will find it very handy to learn how to remove all the body-work. In BMW lingo- we call that the Tupperware. The first time you do this you may feel intimidated, but from here on out in your ownership there are many times when it just needs to come off. Not only that, it is easy, no strange tools required etc. although there are some tricks that need to be acknowledged.. (for instance the small screws on the right hand side of the radio box... are hard to see and may present an opportunity to use "adult" language until you figure out how to hold your mouth.

Note: get on Youtube and search for things. Very handy. Look under Hexheads.

I throw this into the conversation because the access to the FPC requires the top left side of the Tupperware to come off. Then you can easily see the color of the FPC and determine if you have the new, or the old. That's about a 5 minute job- to remove the body work.

If you want to come over to my garage I can show you a whole raft of things... I am in Colorado... give a shout.

and... an earlier poster suggested updating the software on the bike. That is a good thing, but be aware that this series/years required sequential updates. There is no way to just ask the dealer to do the update... well- you certainly can ask them to but in your bike... (what is known as Hexheads) have serial updates... number one has to be done, then number two, etc. I was at the dealer once and asked my pal the service manager about an update. He hooked up the computer and said- are you sure? This bike needs about 10... yes 1-0, updates and at that rate the job will cost more then the bike is worth.

and... I think the '08's were among the best bikes BMW ever sold. I love my '14, but kinda miss my '05.

Feel free to ask any question that comes to mind... and one last thing... consider joining BMW MOA.. that's "motorcycle owner's association". Their website contains more BMW how-to's and info that you will find helpful.

Oh- Yes, I just thought of something else. I have a pretty spiffy set of wiring diagrams for that series of bikes. If you think that would be helpful drop me a Private Mail with your address. (Same goes for anyone else who has a Hexhead bike.)

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”

Last edited by hopz; Oct 17th, 2016 at 11:15 am. Reason: just thought of something else
post #26 of 36 Old Oct 17th, 2016, 9:32 pm

Garage

Quote:
and... an earlier poster suggested updating the software on the bike. That is a good thing, but be aware that this series/years required sequential updates. There is no way to just ask the dealer to do the update... well- you certainly can ask them to but in your bike... (what is known as Hexheads) have serial updates... number one has to be done, then number two, etc. I was at the dealer once and asked my pal the service manager about an update. He hooked up the computer and said- are you sure? This bike needs about 10... yes 1-0, updates and at that rate the job will cost more then the bike is worth.
Are you sure about this?
Last year my 07 was updated to I-Level: K024-15-07-500 and It did not take that long (It was actually done no charge.)

Maybe some updates had been done before by the previous owner and did not have to start from the Factory I-Level: K024-07-02-500 . ( I bought the bike in 2012.)
Unfortunately I cannot confirm this since my GS-911 would not give me the "actual I-level" before the bug was corrected by Hexcode with the 1509.2 release which came out after the update was performed.

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
post #27 of 36 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 6:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann323 View Post
Are you sure about this?
Last year my 07 was updated to I-Level: K024-15-07-500 and It did not take that long (It was actually done no charge.)

Maybe some updates had been done before by the previous owner and did not have to start from the Factory I-Level: K024-07-02-500 . ( I bought the bike in 2012.)
Unfortunately I cannot confirm this since my GS-911 would not give me the "actual I-level" before the bug was corrected by Hexcode with the 1509.2 release which came out after the update was performed.
We are getting off track here, but when I had my first fuel level gauge replaced, the mechanic said that he had to do multiple updates before the new sender would work. Lucky, I was not charged for the updates.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 36 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 9:11 am

Bike software updates...

To the best of my knowledge my '05 was never updated prior to my purchase. (bought it used from my dealer- it had about 1,000 miles on it.) and I am certain I never asked them to update anything.

Also... I bought the bike and never had any service done by the dealer. I preferred to do it myself. Never had any problem with anything except the Fuel Pump Controller...

My post was a direct quote from my friend who was the Service Manager of a large and apparently successful BMW dealership. I suggest anyone who is interested in this- to speak with your service manager.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #29 of 36 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 3:57 pm

My '09 has 84K miles and I don't think it has ever had a software update. I also do my own work.

As far as FPC, yeah having a jumper cable is a fine idea, but it seems to me that if you're going to that much trouble to field strip the Tupperware, pull the old FPC and attach the jumper cable you're going to have to replace the FPC anyhow. You might just as well carry a spare FPC and swap it out on the road. I carry a spare - new (black) style (and I have already replaced my original, before it failed but it was pretty grody and corroded on the bottom when I did).

And on the subject of fuel strips - I've now had five fail, and none of the failures caused any issue with starting. It's a crappy implementation, but other than not knowing how much fuel is in the tank, it's harmless.

I'll extend Hopz's offer: I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and I'd be happy to help anyone work on their bike, just let me know.

JayJay

JayJay
'09 R1200 RT
'73 R75/5 Toaster (gone)
'07 Honda Rebel (gone)
Kids (gone - graduated and employed!)
'81 Honda Gold Wing (gone)
'75 Honda CB500 Twin DOHC (gone)
'77 Honda CB750 (gone)
Bride (going strong)
BMWMOA 159659
IBA 63871

post #30 of 36 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

I live in Texas just outside Houston. I took my bike to Team Mancuso, so anyone from around these parts probably knows them. My wife and I are engineers by trade. (Well, I quit and have my own business now not in Engineering, but did that for 20 years.) She has built an off road baja and worked for an ALMS racing team. I have owned a bike all my life, but this is the first one with electronics and this type of fuel injection. Thus I know just enough to get me in trouble.

My wife and I removed all the panels and tour down everything painted as we changed the color from an awful burnt orange color to a blue almost metallic look. Thus, I can easily get to the compartment and I have no problem breaking down a bike. With that said I tried to break down the saddle bags and top case. I don't recommend doing that as we lost a spring and fortunately found someone in the north east with an extra set and mailed it to me. We did not remove any rivets though as we were worried doing so might damage the cases.

Anyway, having an extra FPC on hand is one option but a bypass connector would be cheaper. How often will the FPC go out anyway? I would hope it lasts for 5+ years at minimum. The amount I ride is far less than most as my wife and I now have a one year old. We used to ride together but now it has dropped.....at least till we can find a good babysitter.

Any wiring diagrams or documentation on these bikes would be nice. As for the computer software upgrades I was unaware these bikes required that. (Again not very knowledgeable on these bikes.) I may ask to see what is currently there and if they can upgrade it without any costs. I am not sure I want to pay just to have the software upgraded unless there is a very good reason to do so.
post #31 of 36 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 5:02 pm

Garage

Like JayJay mentioned earlier, the fuel strip has no effect on how the bike will start. When it fails it will only give you wrong info on the fuel level.

AFAIK these bikes do not "need" software updates. Mine was done because they had to hookup my bike to their computer when I changed my rear strut.

I thought that because the GS-911 scan would not report that my bike was equipped with ESA, that they accidentally deleted the function when they diagnosed that my rear strut was defective.
I went back to the dealer and they reprogrammed the ECU thus giving me the latest update. I realized later that it was a bug in the GS-911 software that was causing the ESA not showing up and it was not their fault.(Oops!) So I ended up with a free update.
If I didn't have a GS-911, I would not know that my software has been updated. I don't see any difference.

Software updates should not be done without a specific reason. Apparently the Hexheads (I don't know if it's the case for the Camheads and the Wetheads) have a limit on how many times the ECU can be updated but nobody seems to know exactly how many times.

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
post #32 of 36 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 5:42 pm

I keep four PosiTaps and a couple lengths of wire in my tool kit. My phone stores a picture and memo listing the wire colors that need to be connected to bypass the FPC with switched power. Saves the cost of a second FPC or a dedicated jumper, and the space they take up. The taps and wire can potentially be used for other repairs.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
post #33 of 36 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
I keep four PosiTaps and a couple lengths of wire in my tool kit. My phone stores a picture and memo listing the wire colors that need to be connected to bypass the FPC with switched power. Saves the cost of a second FPC or a dedicated jumper, and the space they take up. The taps and wire can potentially be used for other repairs.
That's a great Idea.
I would really like to have this memo and picture if it's not too much to ask.

(These PosiTaps/Locks are pretty neat)

Daniel

IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
post #34 of 36 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 10:15 pm

The idea came from a similar thread over at bmwsporttouring.com. Racer7 provided the wire colors. dirtrider followed up with a picture of an emergency repair that looks to be made with a pocketknife. I just right-clicked, "save image as..." and transferred to my phone.

I don't like the idea of chopping up the wiring harness, so I pack the PosiTaps, which do not damage the copper wires and are removable. The small hole in the insulation can be sealed with liquid electrical tape back home. The power source is the original circuit, so it goes on/off with the ignition and is already "fused".

Unplug wire to FPC.
Jumper bike side brown wire to fuel pump blue wire.
Jumper bike side blue/green wire to fuel pump yellow wire.

Since I'm prepared, my FPC has never failed.

But I still check it for water accumulation whenever the tupperware is off.

Larry
2006 R1200RT

Last edited by lkraus; Oct 18th, 2016 at 10:35 pm.
post #35 of 36 Old Oct 19th, 2016, 9:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The idea came from a similar thread over at bmwsporttouring.com. Racer7 provided the wire colors. dirtrider followed up with a picture of an emergency repair that looks to be made with a pocketknife. I just right-clicked, "save image as..." and transferred to my phone.

I don't like the idea of chopping up the wiring harness, so I pack the PosiTaps, which do not damage the copper wires and are removable. The small hole in the insulation can be sealed with liquid electrical tape back home. The power source is the original circuit, so it goes on/off with the ignition and is already "fused".

Unplug wire to FPC.

You are the only one (at least on this forum) that had the same idea that I had, when I was riding the '07 (see my earlier post), except that I had run independent power to the location that also goes on/off with the bike power. Now you have identified the polarity of the two wires, which I had forgotten (no longer responsible for the '07!).

Blue = Negative, and Yellow = Positive!

I was prepared but never had any issues with the FPC (or anything, for that matter) with my prior '07.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #36 of 36 Old Oct 19th, 2016, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Unplug wire to FPC.

Sounds like a really good idea. The pdf file PadG provided is very helpful also. Thanks to everyone!

Tags
fuel issues, r1200rt, starting problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in