2016 RT XM Antenna Replacement ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By DaveM
  • 1 Post By LIRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2016, 9:53 am Thread Starter

2016 RT XM Antenna Replacement ?

The XM antenna location for the XM radio must stink as the radio loses reception almost 25% of the time. Does anyone know if we can replace the antenna with a new one and then place the antenna in a better location? The BMW XM antenna is around $137 but there should be cheaper versions available.

I did this with my gold wing's XM antenna and it helped a lot with reception.

Travel_Man
AMA
IBA #382

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2016, 10:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: 2016 RT XM Antenna Replacement ?

ive never had much luck with xm and motorcycles.

xm does make this not sure how much it helps

https://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Satell.../dp/B002HTRELU

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 R1200RT
1978 R100/7
1973 R75/5 - For sale
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2016, 2:59 pm

Your problem maybe where or how the antenna is located or mounted.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2016, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy View Post
ive never had much luck with xm and motorcycles.

xm does make this not sure how much it helps

https://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Satell.../dp/B002HTRELU
l will look into it, thanks.

Travel_Man
AMA
IBA #382

post #5 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2016, 3:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
Your problem maybe where or how the antenna is located or mounted.
The antenna is under the front fairing where BMW mounts it ( it is the OEM XM antenna ), same way Honda did theirs. I want to buy a new one and mount it in a open location.

Travel_Man
AMA
IBA #382

post #6 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2016, 11:10 pm

I have been riding across the country on My 2014 RT. No problems with reception.
post #7 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2016, 11:36 pm

Using old XM tech here... Roady (portable) in tankbag, with tiny "mouse shaped" antenna in tankbag clear mapcase window. Works most of the time in the flatlands of TX and the Great Corn Desert. Loses reception whenever I duck under a gas station canopy to refuel, or occasionally when I'm able to get into some of those nice "canyon roads" or "tunnel of trees" that make riding so enjoyable. Basically, appears to depend on how much "stuff" is blocking your view of the satellite in the sky, I guess. A better antenna might be able to handle a marginal signal better - but the technology does have weaknesses. As does all the BMW motorcycle audio equipment I've ever experienced... (rolls eyes)
post #8 of 19 Old Aug 1st, 2016, 9:55 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

The '11RT had the standard little antenna that you would get with a XM Roadie. I tried to move it but there was no enough cable to move it out into open sky. I have not torn into the '16 yet but I assume its the same P.O.S.

So far the '16 has not had any issues. The '11 was crap. It would drop out whenever it felt like it. If you take the plastic off and you can see where the cable goes, I am sure you can replace it with a regular XM antenna.

Please let us know if you do that. AND take a bunch of pictures.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #9 of 19 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 9:07 pm

Would it be possible to take a couple of photos of exactly where this antenna is and what it looks like? My reception on my 16 RT is not good and would love to move the antenna or replace with one that works.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
tvguy and Grumpy_Squatch like this.
post #10 of 19 Old Aug 30th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel_man View Post
The XM antenna location for the XM radio must stink as the radio loses reception almost 25% of the time. Does anyone know if we can replace the antenna with a new one and then place the antenna in a better location? The BMW XM antenna is around $137 but there should be cheaper versions available.

I did this with my gold wing's XM antenna and it helped a lot with reception.
You need a bigger antenna.

--Radix

1965 HONDA 50 (sold)
1967 HONDA 90 STEP THROUGH (sold)
1970 HARLEY-DAVIDSON SPORTSTER (sold)
1971 BMW R60/5 (sold)
1980 Vespa P200E (sold)
199? Honda CB750 Nighthawk (sold)
2012 BMW R1200 GS ADV (sold)
2016 BMW R1200RT (current bike)
2017 Moto Guzzi v7iii Special (current bike)
post #11 of 19 Old Aug 30th, 2016, 8:39 pm

Check out this thread that I started on the sport touring forum. I'm pretty sure the same fix would work.

If you're having Sattalite radio reception/ signal problems.... - BMWSportTouring Forums

Doug

Doug
2012 R1200RT - The Green Machine
2007 R1200RT - Sold - but not forgotten
post #12 of 19 Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 4:59 am Thread Starter

I bought a Siriusxm car antenna from the Satellite Radio Superstore and disconnected the built in Siriusxm antenna and connected the new one. I mounted the new Siriusxm antenna on the top box for now and the reception is much better. The new antenna cost $12.95 and had the same connector as the OEM antenna so it only took two minutes to connect it.

SiriusXM XMICRO2 Magnetic Vehicle Antenna

Travel_Man
AMA
IBA #382

post #13 of 19 Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 9:02 am

I have Sirius radios in both my 2010 Audi S5 and my 2014 R1200RT. Reception sucks for both radios, but a lot of the riding/driving I do are on back country, narrow and hilly roads with high trees. I think the XM satellites are in a location where reception is easily blocked by buildings/trees/mountain peaks. Before I had Sirius, I had an XM radio in my 2004 Audi, and I never lost reception, living in the same area. That leads me to assume that satellite positioning may be a leading cause of poor reception.

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Current: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
post #14 of 19 Old May 15th, 2019, 6:28 am

I know this is an old thread but since I found it helpful in solving my satellite reception issues, I figured I'd give it a bump and reference a post on my solution when I encountered increased dropouts after installing an accessory Nav locking product:

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...ml#post1911133

I choose a solution similar to travel_man above. Although the specific antenna he choose is no longer available, there are similar ones available on eBay and elsewhere for under $30 that will suffice. I really wish I had done this when i first got the bike ... it's simple and for me at least, very effective.

A big thank you to travel_man for getting me pointed in the right direction!
Grumpy_Squatch likes this.

Current Rides:
2016 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
Keyless Ride - Alarm - Shift Assist - Central Locking

1996 VF750C Magna - Pearl Shinning Yellow
V&H Classic II Pipes - Factory Pro Jet Kit
Race Tech Cartridge Emulators & Fork Springs
Progressive 440 Rear Shocks
post #15 of 19 Old May 15th, 2019, 10:00 am

Garage

I never have issues with my RTs Satellite radio and I use it fairly often. Its the stock setup in.. Some of it may have to do with where you're riding.

During Springtime in New Hampshire (when I lived there) the reception would cut out on all of my Sirius/XM equipped vehicles because of the canopy of leaves on all of the trees. Unless you're going to put the antenna on a 50 foot tall pole, I'm not sure how you're going to get around that.

2016 R1200RT
2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
1987 K100RS (12/2015 - 12/2016)
1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)
post #16 of 19 Old May 15th, 2019, 10:37 am

I agree that it's all situational. I had issues in some spots with the RT but only riding in one direction. Interestingly, I never have any issues in any of my cars in those very same locations. In any event, I'm happy with this particular mod

Current Rides:

post #17 of 19 Old May 15th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRider View Post
I know this is an old thread but since I found it helpful in solving my satellite reception issues, I figured I'd give it a bump and reference a post on my solution when I encountered increased dropouts after installing an accessory Nav locking product:

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...ml#post1911133

I choose a solution similar to travel_man above. Although the specific antenna he choose is no longer available, there are similar ones available on eBay and elsewhere for under $30 that will suffice. I really wish I had done this when i first got the bike ... it's simple and for me at least, very effective.

A big thank you to travel_man for getting me pointed in the right direction!
If you don't mind, your other thread mentioned that you "choose to install the antenna on my top box and run the cable up to the nose under the seat and side panels". On my 2019 it appears that the module with pink connector and Sirius logo is under the passenger seat. Is the 2016 different? I'm not following why you had to run the cables all the way up to the nose. If it is indeed under the passenger seat it would make such an antenna swap much easier.

Thanks!

2019 R1250RT Mars Red
  • Denali CANSmart
    • D4 driving lights
    • B6 brake light
    • SoundBomb Compact horn
post #18 of 19 Old May 16th, 2019, 5:46 am

To be quite honest, I never looked at the radio connectors under the seat ... you are no doubt correct that I may have been able to get away with pulling the connector to the extension cable right in that location. Since I was working with the Navi lock when this process began, I just naturally went for the connector in that location. Next time I've got the seats off, I'll definitely take a look for it though. Thanks for pointing it out!

Current Rides:

post #19 of 19 Old May 16th, 2019, 8:22 am

I'm not sure that would work either but I might give it a try. As someone posted about New Hampshire, here in MA the Sirius reception on this bike is often terrible. I've had Sirius in my last 3 cars and I get drops on the bike in places I've never seen drops in the car.

However, I do know that SiriusXM also uses terrestrial broadcast towers in metro areas to fill in signals lost to buildings etc. Perhaps cars are better at receiving those fill-in signals and the bike antennas aren't? I'll take the $25 risk and see if it works under the seat.

2019 R1250RT Mars Red
  • Denali CANSmart
    • D4 driving lights
    • B6 brake light
    • SoundBomb Compact horn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in