GTL topcase on a 2015 RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA*****************2015 R1200RT
Garage
GTL topcase on a 2015 RT

I had read up on some previous threads about getting an electrical topcase installed on the RT. I was able to score a reasonable deal on a GTL topcase so I have one with the nicer backrest.

Some of the other threads had mentioned calling Chris at Ohio dealership. Chris is no longer there. From the prices posted on the parts I needed, I'd say Ohio is no longer the cheap place to buy things. I dealt with a Mike. I bought a re-key kit, OEM brake light, and central locking harness. Comparing to ASCyles.com website, I probably could have saved $50. Oh well, live and learn.

But now onto my issues. First one is the rekey. I bought what others had mentioned should be the right rekey kit. 51257698204 for $36. Watched the video, got all the right tumblers, even got the original out without any issues. My issue is with getting the new one to stay in.

The tumbler that was in there from the GTL, none of the tumbler keys pop out like my kit. They stay in even without the key. I'm able to get my new tumbler in there, but it won't stay in. I can pull it back out without the key in. The key stop appears to be working. Visually, I can't see any difference between the rekey and the original. I remembered to leave the #2 slot empty like the original. The tumbler functions, it locks and unlocks. Just doesn't stay into the case.

Second issue, I the non-central locking RT. From what I read, I needed harness 61128548712, $178.84 from Ohio. There are a series of connectors. The round one I obviously need to go to the topcase. Then there is the flat four pin connector. Looking at wire colors, I'm sure I need this one. Then there is a big honking 12 wire. I'm guess that goes to the computer? Then there are four of the two pin connectors.

I'm guessing all the two connectors can go. But what about the big honking one? Do I just need the four pin to round converter? Skip the big honkng 12 connector? If anyone has done this, or had a dealer do this, can you check your connectors?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 4:28 pm

Re: GTL topcase on a 2015 RT

On the lock cylinder , rotate the lock with the key in it so that it is strait up and down with the retainer pointing down and that should do it. If the retainer still isn't holding, check to see that the release hole is clear and there is no grease in there.
If the hole is clear and dry , then you must have something wrong. The first six slots (from the plastic of the key) in the cylinder should have chips and springs, and the 7th is empty and the 8th (farthest in the box) will ehave the u shaped chip and spring. With the key in cylinder the chips should all sit flush with the cylinder with only the eighth sitting proud being pushed upward by its spring.
Before putting the cylinder into the box, make sure the receiver inside the box is pointing up and down (it's the oval socket deep inside the box that the tip of the cylinder engages- use a flat screwdriver to align it) As you insert the cylinder int the box, rotate and push inward gently. You will probably need to rotate it clockwise about 90 degrees to get the retainer int it's slot. I suspect you just didn't have the cylinder in far enough
Ultimately the retainer chip needs to point downward in the box to engage

Chris B

Last edited by Kiki231; Mar 25th, 2016 at 4:33 pm.
post #3 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I'll start with the progress I did make. I took the harness and stripped the tape back from the junction of the three large connectors, back towards the largest connector. Once I did that, the round connector to the case has four wires to the flat plug and three wires to the large connector. I took the case out to the bike and installed it. I knew where the flat connector went and hooked that up. But I couldn't see where the big 12 connector plug goes. With just the flat connector, the brake light went on and the interior light lit up. But the brake light didn't operate as a running light like the stock brake light. I didn't have the bike running. So I'm not sure if the top case brake light doesn't operate as a brake light, or I need to find out where the 12 pin plug goes. I'll wait to hack anything off until someone hopefully can fill me in there.

Back to the re-key. My re-key tumbler will not stay in. Nothing obstructing the last key stop that I can see. It's clean back there. I can re-install the original multiple times and that one stays in no issues. The re-key tumbler goes in just as far as the original. All the dimensions of the new one match the original. I can see no difference.

There was one mention of someone popping the chrome cap off the original and drive a pin out. I'm hoping I don't have to do that to make it work. Already stabbed my finger attempting that one.

I'm attaching pictures of the harness as I have it stripped back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harness.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	101521   Click image for larger version

Name:	pigtail.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	101529  

post #4 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage

BTW, I must have re-installed the original tumbler at least 6 times now. Each and every time, it locked right in without even wiggling it. Worked as it should. New one just won't follow suit.
post #5 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 5:55 pm

Can you post a pic of the new cylinder?
post #6 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Switchblade key is my RTW key. Regular key is the original GTL key.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tumbler.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	101537  
post #7 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 7:14 pm

Have you tried swapping out the retaining chip between the 2 cylinders ? And also try a different spring ?
Other than the one chip that seems too low, all seems fine from the photo

Chris B
post #8 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 7:18 pm

I did the exact same procedure with my keyless RT and had no prob at all so it does not make sense that the retainer is not engaging.
Without running three times around the bush you may want to take out all the tumblers and see if just the cylinder and retainer can lock into the box

Chris B
post #9 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 9:19 pm

Just thinking, since the lock/release "dial" in the bottom of the top case (for attaching the case to the luggage grid) has to be in the release position to access the hole for depressing the retaining tumbler for lock removal, I would make sure it is in the release position when you are reinserting the lock cylinder as that may have something to do with the retaining tumbler being properly aligned with whatever it has to engage to secure the cylinder. Also, as others have suggested, make sure you have all your springs in place as they are so easily lost.

Mike
post #10 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki231 View Post
Have you tried swapping out the retaining chip between the 2 cylinders ? And also try a different spring ?
Other than the one chip that seems too low, all seems fine from the photo
I was going to do that. But the GTL tumbler's keys won't come out. Not even the keystop retaining one.

I'm going to remove all the pieces and try it with just the last keystop one in. I'll stick in a different spring. But on the desk, the new one was actually popping up higher than the GTL one was.
post #11 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage

With all the tumblers out, it still won't seat. I even swapped to my plastic spare key. Tried it with the case in lock and released mode a well.

I guess I'll take another look at pulling the cap off the original tumbler.
post #12 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Well, I got the cap off the GTL tumbler. I see the pin holding those tumblers in. But there is no way to drive it back out. So that idea is out the window.
post #13 of 32 Old Mar 26th, 2016, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Well, I've given up on the tumbler. I tried using an allen wrench from that bottom hole to try to help wiggle the new tumbler around. That didn't help. I was able to re-assemble the original tumbler with the cap on. I took a picture of both from the side. Left one is new rekey, right is original GTL. It appears to maybe be half a tumbler width off. There seems to be enough wiggle that the new one should work, but no go.

On the wiring front, I took the back plate off the to see if the 12 pin plug for the central locking harness plugs in there. But it doesn't. I found an unused 8 pin. But no 12 pin. I don't see any 12 pin within reach. Would someone with central locking be able to trace their wires and find out where that goes?

Looking at the wires, 3 from the flat plug go to the round connector. I'm guessing one is ground, one is stop, and the other is power for the trunk light. Then there is one wire going from the 12 pin into the four pin. Looks to be blue with some black tracer stripes. Would be nice to know what that one is. Then there are two more wires going from the 12 pin to the round. Purple with black stripes, and brown with black stripes. I'm wondering if those two would have been for heated backrest, that I don't have.

I watched a couple of GTL videos. It looks like the stock brake light in the case does NOT function as a running light. Only stop. So if that is the case, I probably don't need any of the wires from the 12 pin plug since my brake light and interior light are working.

As far as the tumbler goes, I'll probably be needing new tires late this summer. I'll probably make a trip to my Sturgis BMW dealer and see if they can take a look at the tumbler. Even if I have to buy a second one for $40, I'd be fine with that to get it keyed the same. For now, I'll just carry 2 keys.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tumbler2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	101569  
post #14 of 32 Old Mar 26th, 2016, 3:59 pm

First the locks are keyed at the dealers it only takes a few minutes. Second if you want the brake light in the top case to act as a running light Skene makes a controller that works very well. I have one on my Exclusive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #15 of 32 Old Mar 26th, 2016, 4:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92merc View Post
Well, I got the cap off the GTL tumbler. I see the pin holding those tumblers in. But there is no way to drive it back out. So that idea is out the window.
After I uncrimped the cap off the tumbler of a GTL case that I wanted to re-key for my RT, the pin fell right out. I re-arranged the tumblers (replacing 2 of them with the needed #s necessary that were different in the original cylinder), crimped the cover back on and reinserted it no problem. Something is amiss here!

You've probably run across this youtube video but, if not, view the last couple of minutes where he is reinserting the lock cylinder and make sure you are doing it correctly. The 1st 17 minutes is devoted to re-keying the cylinder which it would appear you know how to do (although I just did it the trial and error way rather than the more "scientific" way he describes - and I got it done in less time than it took me to view his video!) as, I recall, you said you've done that a number of times. Again, as I suggested in my earlier post, I would do it with the top case luggage grid attachment "dial" in the bottom of the case in the release position.

Mike

Last edited by mfreeland; Mar 26th, 2016 at 4:34 pm.
post #16 of 32 Old Mar 26th, 2016, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreeland View Post
After I uncrimped the cap off the tumbler of a GTL case that I wanted to re-key for my RT, the pin fell right out. I re-arranged the tumblers (replacing 2 of them with the needed #s necessary that were different in the original cylinder), crimped the cover back on and reinserted it no problem. Something is amiss here!
Mike
I wasn't so lucky. The pin wouldn't budge for me. I tried a variety of magnets and tapping on it. It didn't move at all. Oh well.
post #17 of 32 Old Mar 26th, 2016, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
First the locks are keyed at the dealers it only takes a few minutes. Second if you want the brake light in the top case to act as a running light Skene makes a controller that works very well. I have one on my Exclusive.
I do already have a Skene with Photon Blasters mounted next to the plates. I decided against using the controller for now. But I may change my mind. I don't currently plan on using the top case except for trips. But if I do end up leaving it on a lot, I probably will re-wire it.
post #18 of 32 Old Mar 27th, 2016, 8:15 am

There must be something wrong with the tumbler. It is a fairly precise fit and that must be where the problem is. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Chris B
post #19 of 32 Old Mar 27th, 2016, 12:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki231 View Post
There must be something wrong with the tumbler. It is a fairly precise fit and that must be where the problem is. Sorry I couldn't be more help!
That's kind of what I'm thinking. Since I bought my tumbler from Ohio sports, I don't expect much support from my dealer. But on the good side, the part wasn't like a $250 brake light, so I'm not out a lot.

Worst case, my dealer gets me a working one, and I have some spare springs and key pieces for my fellow forum members.
post #20 of 32 Old Mar 27th, 2016, 1:44 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I thought I would finish off my wiring. I have the light in the box and the brake light works as a brake light, so I'm satisfied with that.

I took the three wires going from the 12 pin plug and cut those. Clearwater had a neat idea that I replicated. Instead of just having a simple butt end, they folded over the cut into a hook. Then put heat shrink tubing over the hook. So the three cuts are nicely covered. So out of the four wire flat plug, only three are in actual use going to the round plug. Covered up the middle area with a couple layers of electrical tape. I'll put it in the bike later today.

So basically I took the big mess of wires and made a smaller adapter pigtail myself. Some might say that's a lot for just three wires. I'm OK with that. I hate thinking I could have done a better job on something. I'm a little obsessive that way. If I decide to do it, might as well go for broke.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	101626   Click image for larger version

Name:	harness_done_1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	101634   Click image for larger version

Name:	harness_done_2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	101642  
post #21 of 32 Old Nov 8th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Do you think you could give me detail instruction to make a pigtail that would allow to use a BMW top case with full features on a 2016 Roger That! that doesnít have central locking

Renzo
post #22 of 32 Old Nov 9th, 2019, 12:56 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo View Post
Do you think you could give me detail instruction to make a pigtail that would allow to use a BMW top case with full features on a 2016 Roger That! that doesnít have central locking
You'll need the PN 61128548712 to the tune of about $178. Then you peel back the black tape on that wiring harness until you get to the junction. You can see that spot in my previous post with the pictures. Then you hack off the part that goes to the 2 pin central locking connectors. Put some black tape on it. Then plug it into the harness over your rear fender, under the passenger seat.

I actually ran my plug outside of the rear seat. I used some long velcro strips to attach it below my rear rack. That way I don't have to take the back seat off to get to the plug.
post #23 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 8:47 am

Could you tell me why you just didn’t install the entire harness or just purchase the connection plugs from BMW that are needed to make your harness?
I understand installing the harness could be a waste of time since it has nothing else to plug into, but you could add components slowly and have a functioning system
Any photos of your complete harness on the bike?
Any part numbers on the round and rectangular plugs you used / needed?
I will check on the bmw auto side for connectors
Did any instruction come with harness on install

Renzo

Last edited by Renzo; Nov 10th, 2019 at 9:03 am.
post #24 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 9:55 am

I made my own with Posi-taps and wire I had laying around. Put a quick disconnect on each end so it's easy to take off. I thought I had posted pictures somewhere?
post #25 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Could you tell me why you just didnít install the entire harness or just purchase the connection plugs from BMW that are needed to make your harness?
I understand installing the harness could be a waste of time since it has nothing else to plug into, but you could add components slowly and have a functioning system
Any photos of your complete harness on the bike?
Any part numbers on the round and rectangular plugs you used / needed?
I will check on the bmw auto side for connectors
Did any instruction come with harness on install
1) I didn't find any sources for the big round connector. So that's why I had to go to the BMW harness.
2) I started to go down that route of turning my bike into central locking. It was a real pain getting the CL wiring harness from the back of the bike routed up front to the cubby boxes. I even paid quite a bit of money buying the 4 servo's needed for the locking mechanisms for the cubby and saddlebags. When I went to plug it in, I realized I needed the alarm to plug into (I have my wife's RT with CL for reference). But installing the alarm wouldn't be simple either. The main engine harness would need to be replaced to get the plug for the alarm. So now you're talking well over a couple of grand to add it all. I deemed it too expensive. Even with buying an alarm off EBay, replacing that main harness would be a huge job.
3) The harness PN I mentioned above will have the big round end for the top box. When you're done, you'll have the rectangular end that goes under the seat. I'll try to snap a couple of pictures installed today or tomorrow.
post #26 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Garage

BTW, in post 20, you can see the last 2 pictures of the resulting plug after I cut off the CL wires. That's really all you need to power the CL box and brake light, if you have one.
post #27 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
...Did any instruction come with harness on install
Any questions? :-P

post #28 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 9:02 pm

I truly appreciate all the valuable information.
I still have many questions and I will try to explain myself.
It was my understanding that a 2016 R T Can be retro fitted with a BMW factory kit that is intended to install the alarm system with a remote, cost is about 400.00
Installing my self.
Not sure if the computer needs programming.. I will find out from BMW.
With that said that would allow the use of the central locking harness,
So even if the central locking mechanism is not installed on the side cases and two front storages compartments
Using the fully equipped top case with alarm and central locking harness would allow central locking to work on the said top case
I totally understand that cost might not be worth it to some, but it would be to me.
Do you still have the locking mechanisms for front storage and side cases if so are you interested in selling them?

Renzo
post #29 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 9:10 pm

I also wonder if the connection that is on the K1200Lt is the same size that would work on the RT

I had a LT, but have not seen the one on the RT yet, have not received my top box, coming in about 10 days
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	39A744D9-941F-4F7D-9325-E512BB5815E5_1573438078932.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	851.9 KB
ID:	154991  

Renzo
post #30 of 32 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Great Video!! 92Merc

Renzo
post #31 of 32 Old Nov 11th, 2019, 11:03 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
It was my understanding that a 2016 R T Can be retro fitted with a BMW factory kit that is intended to install the alarm system with a remote, cost is about 400.00
Installing my self.
Not sure if the computer needs programming.. I will find out from BMW.
Do you still have the locking mechanisms for front storage and side cases if so are you interested in selling them?
I would sell what I have. But the total is A LOT more than $400. MSRP is $2,613 according to my calculations. There are 2 big variables I couldn't get an answer to.

1) I emailed back and forth with Max BMW service techs. They didn't find anything in the computer to turn on an alarm. So we don't know if everything is connected, it will magically activate or what.
2) I'm honestly not sure exactly which harness I'm missing. My wife's bike has CL and alarm. I followed the alarm wiring to an area under the front seat. Then it disappears. So I'm guessing it's the main harness, but I'm not positive. That harness alone is $1k.

What I have that I'd sell are the screws, cubby pieces, all 4 actuators, and the little covers for the rear saddlebag locks. I have it installed, so it would take me a little while to get it all off again. The combo switch is the only thing I took back off.

I had found a couple of posts searching the forum where dealers said they could do it. But for various reasons, no one ever did. So I have yet to personally find someone that has accomplished the task.

Here's my spreadsheet. Some of the numbers may have changed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Central_Locking.pdf (72.5 KB, 16 views)
post #32 of 32 Old Nov 27th, 2019, 9:50 am Thread Starter

Garage

Renzo, I tried to PM you back, but you have that apparently turned off. Send me an email to 92merc at bis.midco.net and I'll get you the info you need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in