Replacing low beam bulb on 1200RT LC - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 Old Sep 13th, 2015, 11:50 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Replacing low beam bulb on 1200RT LC

I've changed headlight bulbs before on 1150RTs & 1200RT camheads so I know it helps if you have child-sized hands and can do it all by touch. I now have a 2015 1200 RT LC. The owner's manual says -

No mention of having to remove the horn. I've had a quick look and feel at the back of the headlight and the horn is in the way. My question is - Can you change the low bream bulb without taking off the horn?
I would rather learn this lesson from the comfort of my loungeroom than miles from nowhere.
Thanks in advance,
Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old Sep 15th, 2015, 9:29 am

Re: Replacing low beam bulb on 1200RT LC

Yes you can change it...PIA...the clips are the hard part.....I have large hands and have done it twice in my 2014 with 24 thousand miles.....I am today converting everything to HID....I am hoping for way longer bulb life and better night riding.....all afternoon getting the nose opened up enough to drop the headlight assembly....hopefully I have new lights installed and working today....
post #3 of 93 Old Sep 15th, 2015, 7:49 pm

This is how to latch the clips

From the back of the fairing you can see the headlight assembly and clips. I took a .22 caliber cleaning rod and screwed 2 of the rods together. I then took the end and pushed the clip onto the hook. Repeated for the other side. Hope this helps. I am at 2 headlights in 19,000 miles.

post #4 of 93 Old Sep 16th, 2015, 8:14 am

A .22 cleaning rod...that's a novel idea. I have several here.

Wondering if I cut down a plastic cleaning patch eyelet and screw it into the end of the rod if it will be even easier, as it would form a 'fork' 😳

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
MBevans likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 93 Old Sep 17th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Good idea with the cleaning rod. I've got several here and may have to "experiment" a bit and perhaps make a small cut in one to capture the spring in a secure enough manner to make these low beam "torture tests" a thing of the past!

AD

2014 BMW R1200RTw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA #3281 Blue Knights
Life AMA, ABATE, HOG, VHPA
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified NRA Instructor in a bunch of things
post #6 of 93 Old Sep 17th, 2015, 4:19 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like a couple of feet of wood dowel in about 1/4" and notch the end.

How long are two, 22 cal rods sections screwed together?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #7 of 93 Old Sep 19th, 2015, 8:19 am

I'm at 23k miles and have had to change mine twice. The first time it took me about an hour trying to get the clip to attach correctly and I probably bent it up a little bit. The second time was on an extended trip and I was able to do it in about 15 minutes. A bright (and small) flashlight so that I had a good view of the clips really helped.

2019 R1250RT - White
2013 C650GT
post #8 of 93 Old Sep 19th, 2015, 8:33 pm

Just did mine for the first time on 14 and took about 20 minutes. 6000 miles and not burnt out just replaced with the ostram 2100 lumens... Clutch side clip came right off no problem. Other side took a lot of force to get it off but went together really easy
joekahng likes this.
post #9 of 93 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 9:07 am

Here's what worked for me on my 14 RT LC. You shouldn't have to take off any body panels. If you have really big hands it may be tough. I wear size 9.5 gloves (Large) and I was able to do it fine.

1. Put bike on centerstand.
2. Remove access cover by reaching up from underneath (lefty loosey).
3. Look in from behind handlebars with a flashlight to see the connector.
4. Adjust handlebars and reach in past the fork tubes and pull connector straight off...it should come off easily.
5. Look again to see the orientation of the spring clips. To release the bulb, you have to push them forward then toward the outside. You can do it with your finger. I wore a nitrile glove which gave me some grip on the spring. I found it easier to remove the starboard side clip first, and the port side clip second. (For some reason it's much harder to get the starboard clip off if you take the port side off first.)
6. Pull bulb straight out. Note orientation of tang (pointing up).
7. Insert new bulb with tang pointing up. I had to feel my way around to do this part, but it only took a minute or so. Remember not to touch the glass part with your hands. Confirm that the bulb is properly seated by looking in from the front of the headlight.
8. Put the spring clips back on. I did the starboard side first, port side second.
9. Push the connector back on.
10. Replace the access cover.
11. Start 'er up and confirm the new bulb works.

It took me the better part of an hour to get the procedure down to these steps. Now that I've done it once I could probably do it in 10 minutes.
biker01red and caddie57 like this.
post #10 of 93 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 9:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBones View Post
Here's what worked for me on my 14 RT LC. You shouldn't have to take off any body panels. If you have really big hands it may be tough. I wear size 9.5 gloves (Large) and I was able to do it fine.

1. Put bike on centerstand.
2. Remove access cover by reaching up from underneath (lefty loosey).
3. Look in from behind handlebars with a flashlight to see the connector.
4. Adjust handlebars and reach in past the fork tubes and pull connector straight off...it should come off easily.
5. Look again to see the orientation of the spring clips. To release the bulb, you have to push them forward then toward the outside. You can do it with your finger. I wore a nitrile glove which gave me some grip on the spring. I found it easier to remove the starboard side clip first, and the port side clip second. (For some reason it's much harder to get the starboard clip off if you take the port side off first.)
6. Pull bulb straight out. Note orientation of tang (pointing up).
7. Insert new bulb with tang pointing up. I had to feel my way around to do this part, but it only took a minute or so. Remember not to touch the glass part with your hands. Confirm that the bulb is properly seated by looking in from the front of the headlight.
8. Put the spring clips back on. I did the starboard side first, port side second.
9. Push the connector back on.
10. Replace the access cover.
11. Start 'er up and confirm the new bulb works.

It took me the better part of an hour to get the procedure down to these steps. Now that I've done it once I could probably do it in 10 minutes.
I just replaced my first low beam bulb yesterday, it lasted for over 17k miles. This is pretty much the procedure I used except I sat on a small cooler in front of the bike looking at the headlight and did it all by feel but knew how the spring clips worked beforehand. Took me 15 minutes taking care not to damage spring clips.
MotoBones and joekahng like this.

'14 R1200RT
'12 Tiger 800
post #11 of 93 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 3:27 pm

I got a warning light today , picture shows what displays on a 2016 RT dashboard.
RT viewed from front shows low beam out, but right side high beams has been lit.
USA version RT I am sure.

This must be a cripple mod for an 2016 RT on the road, automatic right side high beam illuminated temporary for burned out low beam.
Not sure I have read this feature anywhere in the manuals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161109_WarnLowBeamOut.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	118585   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161109_WarnLowBeamOut2.jpg
Views:	1160
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	118593  
AttackPug likes this.

2016 R1200RT, 75 Mk3 Interstate & old British bikes

Last edited by tokig; Nov 9th, 2016 at 3:39 pm.
post #12 of 93 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 4:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokig View Post

This must be a cripple mod for an 2016 RT on the road, automatic right side high beam illuminated temporary for burned out low beam.
Wonderful, thanks for that ;o)

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #13 of 93 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBones View Post
Same process here but the connector was a real bugger to get off. With some origami yoga I was able to free it w/ the left and right hands fiddling with it.

I think I will take a heavy duty yellow rubber glove and make a finger cot to give the tip of my finger some more heft to get the front brake side clip back in place--it was really hard w/ an uncovered finger.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #14 of 93 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I sat on a small cooler in front of the bike looking at the headlight and did it all by feel but knew how the spring clips worked beforehand.
I thought that I was the only one sitting on the cooler, looking directly into the headlight....

like someone else said, the clutch side spring came off in one try, the rear brake side didn't so I thought I wasn't doing it right, but give it a firm "push, and slide" and it will come off.

FYI, I didn't want to drain too much juice by going with HID so I just went with ultra bright bulb, I think it was PIAA.... I'm happy with it, and the color matches up with the LED rings so I think its a winner.
post #15 of 93 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 6:13 pm

Quote:

Pretty sure mine didn't do that, switch on your high beams to see if the left side might be burnt-out.
post #16 of 93 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 11:54 pm

Quote:
Are you sure that is the high beam? I would have thought the centre bulb is high beam.

Gerhard

post #17 of 93 Old Nov 10th, 2016, 1:01 am

Quote:
I got a warning light today , picture shows what displays on a 2016 RT dashboard.
RT viewed from front shows low beam out, but right side high beams has been lit.
USA version RT I am sure.

This is exactly what my '16 did as well on my 15K trip this summer. I tried to change mine on the side of the road for about 30 minutes and then gave up and had a dealer replace it for $25 (with my spare Ostram) at my 10K service at Sandia BMW in Albuqueque, NM a week or so later.

@gerhard,
Yes, the lights on both the left and right are the high beams on the LC, and the center is the low beam. In my thinking, they chose the right side high beam as the backup because it doesn't blind other drivers on right-side roads in countries like North America. FYI, both left and right come on when you toggle the high beam switch. It would be interesting to know if the left side highbeam is programmed as the backup in left-side countries.

'16 BMW R1200RT
'10 BMW S1000RR
'09 Suzuki DR650
'05 Honda RC51
post #18 of 93 Old Nov 11th, 2016, 12:24 am

That's pretty cool we effectively have 2 low beams since the bloody main low beam is such a bugger to swap out. If I had known that I probably would not have preempted a failure by replacing the original low beam at 14,5000 miles which I did just because I thought it best be initially done in my garage. I'm sure for the next major overhaul of RTW it will have LED headlights as you see now w/ 2016 FJR1300 and even the lil' '16 Honda CB500X my wife is about to buy.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #19 of 93 Old Nov 11th, 2016, 7:27 am

I replaced my low beam bulb yesterday in the driveway, as I had gotten the RT out and was ready for a ride, but the warning light reminded me ....bulb out!

My actions were-
Up on center stand, forks front, approached RT from front, reached in under headlight area, found the plastic finned cover, twist and remove.
I thought it would be important to lay this black plastic finned cover in a position on the ground that I could duplicate installing it.....but I found it was unimportant. To me, it seemed I needed to roll it around, on reinstall, until the appropriate ears engaged and it installed just fine.
So cover Off!

Felt the plug, with its two wires off to the handbrake side, grabbed it firmly pulled it off. The wires are stiff enough to allow the plug to hang around the area in the same position, ready for reinstall.
So plug off!

At this point it was clear that trying to view any of this service from above was a waste of time and pointless. even tho I tried several times.

The spring wires, I was aware, needed to be pushed forward and out to the outsides.....and this is the difficult task! This has got to be done one wire at a time, and I found for me, I had to press the wire just above the end loop, which is not the best leverage and becomes painful if you are a newbie at this job. This job is done, again, blind by feel from the front. Both wires unhooked and you need to swing the wire up. Not 180 but out of the way, this tangles with the plug, figure it out.
So wires off!

Old bulb did not release! It took some finger prying to break it loose. But it did finally. Again blind from the front, but since you are looking at the headlight during this process you will see it release as you pull it out.
So bulb out!

Install new bulb by holding the new bulb by the two rear tabs, no touchy glass.

Install is reverse, wires first, then plug , then black plastic cap. Again all done by feel. The wire clip pressings on this portion of the task was the most painful for me, but once done you get the drill it works.

Warning light is out, goofy forward light symbol is out, right side high beam is out.....all working fine......go ride.

I have got Clearwater Ericas, so up grading the low beam would be pointless for me. I now need to order another spare low beam bub.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HeadlightWires3.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	118601  
AttackPug likes this.

Last edited by tokig; Nov 11th, 2016 at 7:44 am.
post #20 of 93 Old Nov 11th, 2016, 8:33 am

Quote:

I have got Clearwater Ericas, so up grading the low beam would be pointless for me. I now need to order another spare low beam bub.
You might want to consider buying BMW's new long life H7 bulb which is around $28. I don't have the part number but it has an 'L' in it. The regular OEM H7 doesn't have the 'L' in the part number.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #21 of 93 Old Nov 11th, 2016, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
You might want to consider buying BMW's new long life H7 bulb which is around $28. I don't have the part number but it has an 'L' in it. The regular OEM H7 doesn't have the 'L' in the part number.
If you have a website or part number that would be great. I don't think BMW part numbers would have an L as on of the part number characters.
I find -
63 21 7 160 781
and
63 21 7 160 780

for bulb numbers, but no direct connection at a BMW motorcycle site.
The price on these part number bulbs is all over the map.
$9.52 for two on Ebay? or $25 for one somewhere else?

post #22 of 93 Old Nov 11th, 2016, 4:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekahng View Post
FYI, I didn't want to drain too much juice by going with HID so I just went with ultra bright bulb, I think it was PIAA.... I'm happy with it, and the color matches up with the LED rings so I think its a winner.
The halogen bulb eats 55 Watts and the HID 35 Watts with a little more when first turned on.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #23 of 93 Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 11:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieflonghair View Post
....I am today converting everything to HID....I am hoping for way longer bulb life and better night riding........
Sigh, please don't.
1: HID bulbs (and LED PnP) are not designed for halogen reflector bowls. There will be glare.
2: You WILL blind oncoming drivers. Is this what a motorcyclist needs to have happen?
3: You will piss people off.
4: Low beam comes on when you start the ignition, and as you hit the starter, it will flicker. An HID bulb does not like to be switched on and off, this will kill the bulb life time dramatically.
5: Switching highs to HID will be the same problem....you flash someone, and the bulb has to ignite, and then shutoff. not only, as in 4, stress the bulb, but it won't even be bright for a few seconds, rendering your "flash to pass" unnoticable.

6: http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-...-housings.html
7: https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...stems_and_why/

It's a living....

Last edited by riff42; Nov 22nd, 2016 at 11:40 am. Reason: added link
post #24 of 93 Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff42 View Post
4: Low beam comes on when you start the ignition, and as you hit the starter, it will flicker. An HID bulb does not like to be switched on and off, this will kill the bulb life time dramatically.
My 2014 RT does NOT have a headlight ON until the engine starts. Key on, before starting engine, there is NO headlight on. So no issues with bulbs being cycled on/off.

Since BMW has failed to provide the new RT LC with adequate low beam lighting for safe use, I have found and installed an LED bulb that significantly improves low beam vision. So far not one motor vehicle operator has flashed high beams at me or indicated displeasure with my light pattern.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #25 of 93 Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 8:32 am

Quote:
If you have a website or part number that would be great. I don't think BMW part numbers would have an L as on of the part number characters.
I find -
63 21 7 160 781
and
63 21 7 160 780

for bulb numbers, but no direct connection at a BMW motorcycle site.
The price on these part number bulbs is all over the map.
$9.52 for two on Ebay? or $25 for one somewhere else?
The local dealer mentioned L was in the part number and surmised it stood for Long Life. Here's a site that advertises the 781 as Long Life:

(click image to enlarge)
MINI Cooper Headlight Bulb - H7 55W Long Life

Part Number: 191180

Manufacturer Number: 63 21 7 160 781

This H7 55W Long Life OEM BMW replacement Headlight Bulb fits both High and Low beam positions depending upon your BMW. Note: Please confirm fitment on your vehicle prior to purchasing.

Product Details:

Beam Color: Clear
Bulb Type: H7 Series Halogen Type
1-year limited manufacturers warranty
C-8 filament type
PX26D base type
12 volts

MSRP $30.40
Your Price: $12.95
Quantity:
tokig likes this.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #26 of 93 Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
The local dealer mentioned L was in the part number and surmised it stood for Long Life. Here's a site that advertises the 781 as Long Life:MINI Cooper Headlight Bulb - H7 55W Long Life63217160781Part Number: 191180Manufacturer Number: 63 21 7 160 781This H7 55W Long Life OEM BMW replacement Headlight Bulb fits both High and Low beam positions depending upon your BMW. Note: Please confirm fitment on your vehicle prior to purchasing.Product Details:Beam Color: ClearBulb Type: H7 Series Halogen Type1-year limited manufacturers warrantyC-8 filament typePX26D base type12 voltsMSRP $30.40Your Price: $12.95
Thank you NoelCP, I just bought a cheap replacement off EBay to have in my tank bag as spare -
BMW E38 E53 E66 E82 E90 Bulb H7 Halogen 12V-55W Hella 63 21 7 160 780 | eBay

But this bub you list looks like a better bub, I will check it out

post #27 of 93 Old Nov 25th, 2016, 10:44 am

I don't see much point in changing to LED as the H7 bulbs don't blow out that often really at least haven't for me. I have 17K miles now and I changed out the first H7 before a 3 day trip just so I could do it in my garage even though that original bulb was still working. Once you've changed one out the next time should be that much easier/quicker. There may be something to the edict to not start the engine until the computer has fully initialized which I've subscribed to just in case there's something to it. I guess we won't see R1200RT come w/ LED until they revise the headlamp reflector assembly in some future design year.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #28 of 93 Old Nov 29th, 2016, 10:21 pm

Garage

I’m so p’d off right now I shouldn’t even be typing, but it just took me over 2.5 hours to change a fricken light bulb!

My “bulb out” warning light went on last weekend at 9280 miles and on what might be my last ride for a little while due to weather around here. After reading this thread (and others) I was somewhat apprehensive about this but decided to give replacement a shot tonight. The removal was rather uneventful, I did struggle somewhat releasing the right side clip.

Got the new bulb set into position and went to work blindly trying to set the left side clip from the front of the bike. After about 5 minutes of fiddling around I got it clipped in. I thought, “this isn’t that bad, I’m almost there”. Then I began to work on the right side clip. No matter what I did, I could not get it in. I had my son try to coach me by looking at it with a flashlight from behind the fairing while I blindly fiddled away from the front but no go. After about 45 minutes of frustration and really sore fingers I quit and went to get dinner.

After dinner I went back at it for quite a while with no success. Gave up and came back in to read this thread again. Decided to try getting it from the back using a rifle cleaning rod like was suggested. It was then that I could see that the spring clip could not reach behind the hook before stopping on the metal rim of the light fixture. Looking closer I could see that the metal hook was pushed way in compared to the left side and there was no way the clip was going to get in there like that. Now what?

After scratching my head for a while, I went and got some small wire and folded it in two then taped it to the cleaning rod with the looped end sticking out from the end of the rod. Using this “fishing rod” I was able to get the wire around the metal hook. I then grabbed both ends of the wire and pulled, bending the metal hook back out into a more accessible position. After another struggle I finally got that darned wire clip hooked back in. Plugged the connector back on, replaced the cap and was finally done.

I don’t know if I bent that right side hook in trying to get the clip off or if it was like that from the factory but what an absolute bitch of a job this was. Hope this bulb last a long time. Thanks for letting be vent. My finger tips will never be the same.

2014 R1200RT Ebony
2008 Suzuki M109R2 Black
post #29 of 93 Old Nov 30th, 2016, 8:59 am

I've done one replacement which was at around 14K miles and the bulb was not burned out yet but as I was planning on a trip I wanted to do this in the comfort of my garage. I think it took about 1h. I was only able to do it but getting into some origami positions with both hands up in there at the same time at certain points in the processes. SHAME SHAME SHAME on BMW for using this type of mechanism as a hold down. I'm sure w/ a little more though they could have designed something a little easier to negotiate blindly. BMW sells a long life version of the OEM bulb which I have in my trunk just in case. The bulb I put in was an OSRAM I had bought for my F800GT and I hope it lasts a while.

What I need to find is a finger cot that is both thin but strong enough to allow me to push w/ one finger and not hurt the finger tip.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #30 of 93 Old Nov 30th, 2016, 9:09 am

They should not be eating bulbs like they do. Again this is one of those things folks accept that maybe should turned over to nhtsa as a safety concern. Nothing gets done if nobody lodge's a complaint.
post #31 of 93 Old Nov 30th, 2016, 10:01 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
They should not be eating bulbs like they do. Again this is one of those things folks accept that maybe should turned over to nhtsa as a safety concern. Nothing gets done if nobody lodge's a complaint.
Is it the bike or the bulb?

Is it the tires or the bike?

Not sure it is so much the bulb cost, or even miles or hours lasted, just the futile replacement procedure is a true pain in the fingers

I would think the bulbs are going the rated hours. I am not sure even what the stock bulb is rated for in hours, or even make or manufacturer of the stock bulb? Think maybe we need to have a discussion on this and compare notes.

I have no clue on mine as I replaced it new with this: Osram Rallye 64217 65w Ultra High Output H7 I did buy two of them.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #32 of 93 Old Dec 1st, 2016, 6:09 pm

LAF, no it is BMWs headlights and not the bulbs. Here is what I know for certain; in all my years of riding different brands of bike, I have never had to replace a headlight bulb in under 70k miles. So that eliminates the bulbs exceeding life expectancy. Hell I have rarely had a headlight go out in a cage.
I noticed that my RT would blow a headlight if I had a false start and just hit the start button again. I therefore believe (and I've written this before) related to a surge when the headlight initially kicks on.
I have also said I replaced more headlight bulbs on my RT than brake pads. This is a problem and best I can find it is limited to BMW. Bulb manufacturer doesn't make a bit of difference.
Again I would recommend folk's pile on the nhtsa complaints. They'll look into it if enough people contact them at which point BMW will be forced to address the concerns.
It isn't about good or bad, It's about shouldn't happen and getting it addressed.
post #33 of 93 Old Dec 1st, 2016, 7:02 pm

For what it is worth, my car seems to have no better bulb life than the bike but the bulbs are much more accessible. They had these camera scopes with a flexible stiff tube with LEDs lights and camera at one end a small screen at the other, when I saw them on sale I thought these might just be what is needed to make a bulb change easier.

Gerhard

post #34 of 93 Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 5:23 pm

I have not had an opportunity to play headlight bulb swap on the 2014+ bikes but I found it fairly easy on my 2011, could do both in under 10 minutes. I am assuming a similar cap setup and retainer spring clips? I would install the right hand bulb from the front reaching under. The left could be easily done standing on the left of bike and using just the right hand.
post #35 of 93 Old Aug 23rd, 2017, 6:48 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

13,339 miles low beam blew. I tried, I mean I really tried until I was so frustrated I felt I needed to leave a dealer do it.

I supplied the bulb and cost was 47.99. 1/2 hour labor.

My fingers hurt, my hands scraped up, and I was afraid I would bend up those clips.

I am so pissed I had to give that money to have it done but my hands are too fat and I just could not get them.

Man that is just a ridiculous set up !

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #36 of 93 Old Aug 23rd, 2017, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF View Post
13,339 miles low beam blew. I tried, I mean I really tried until I was so frustrated I felt I needed to leave a dealer do it.

I supplied the bulb and cost was 47.99. 1/2 hour labor.

My fingers hurt, my hands scraped up, and I was afraid I would bend up those clips.

I am so pissed I had to give that money to have it done but my hands are too fat and I just could not get them.

Man that is just a ridiculous set up !
I feel for you and understand your anger and frustration. I had the same recently. Cuts and grazes on my left hand when replacing the foot brake side bulb. Took 25 mins of fiddling, torn silicon gloves and almost impossible because of a box of something in the way. Needed an LED torch too. Clutch side was a dream compared. Getting the last spring clip in place and putting back the cover was like winning the lottery!
post #37 of 93 Old Aug 23rd, 2017, 3:17 pm

Wait till you try the high beam bulbs.

You'll think the low beam was easy.......

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #38 of 93 Old Aug 24th, 2017, 8:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Man, I must be a very lucky guy! With 3 RTs to my name, and the present '15 with a lot more mileage on the clock than Lee's '15, and I have yet to replace any of the bulbs!

I guess that mean that all bulbs are going to blow as soon as I get on the bike, the next time!!!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #39 of 93 Old Aug 24th, 2017, 9:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Wait till you try the high beam bulbs.

You'll think the low beam was easy.......
To change bulbs on my 1150RT, I drop the front end of the fairing off. How easy is that to do on the Wethead?
post #40 of 93 Old Aug 24th, 2017, 11:12 am

Not possible on the 2011. Got to go in under the clocks past the forks.

The older you get, the more you know and the less you need.

2011 - BMW R1200RT SE
post #41 of 93 Old Sep 4th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Yep, done the low beam twice now, once at about 27,000 and the last time at 40,000 its simply a pain. Even though I had success the first time the second time caused me to start throwing things around. Getting the left hand clip off was the problem, in the end my daughter was able it release it. I was able to get in behind the damn thing with the iPhone and take a picture and explain to her what was needed. Small, nimble, non-arthritic fingers are essential...
Replacing with an LED is a no no, the LED emitter is not only the wrong shape it's in the wrong place.
Geoff
post #42 of 93 Old Sep 5th, 2017, 10:19 am

Garage

"One picture is worth...." maybe not much!
I'm unable to see the images in the previous posts, and the image in post #19 looks a little different than my '16RT, so here are some pics of the before and after of my bulb change. Mine didn't fail, I just changed it out for a more "white" light, closer to the angel eyes around the outer high beams. I don't know what the actual Kelvin temp of my new bulb is, but it's not quite as "yellow" as the OEM, only a small change...I'm still looking for a little bit more "blue" to get closer to the angel eyes and my Clearwater Darla's.

Hope this helps someone.

OEM
Replacement
Wires connected
OEM bulb
Replacement bulb

LAF, McWideglide and Luckiecool like this.
post #43 of 93 Old Sep 5th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Reading all of this is worrisome. I do have a Question though. Just bought a gently used 14 and the previous owner replaced the low beam with the H7 Cyclops bulb. He gave me the original also

Is this cyclops a LED or HID or just brighter. When I click on the high beams I get the error code on the dash showing that a bulb is defective. Looks like everything is on like it's supposed to be, so wondering why the code.

Can I replace the high beams with other cyclops bulbs or will that upset oncomjng motorists?
post #44 of 93 Old Sep 5th, 2017, 10:02 pm

Well mine is a 4000 lumen LED. I think someone posted that they don't work well with the integrated reflectors or something. mine is awfully bright. I really need to get it out at night on the back two lanes to see how it functions.
post #45 of 93 Old Sep 6th, 2017, 3:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbykc View Post
Can I replace the high beams with other cyclops bulbs or will that upset oncoming motorists?
What WILL upset oncoming motorists is that you have your high beam on at all.
Low beams when a vehicle approaches or you are following someone else.
High beam only when the road is clear.
GlosPolbiker likes this.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #46 of 93 Old Sep 21st, 2017, 12:53 pm

These pictures were really useful
post #47 of 93 Old Dec 7th, 2017, 7:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiRyder View Post
... It was then that I could see that the spring clip could not reach behind the hook before stopping on the metal rim of the light fixture. Looking closer I could see that the metal hook was pushed way in compared to the left side and there was no way the clip was going to get in there like that. Now what?

After scratching my head for a while, I went and got some small wire and folded it in two then taped it to the cleaning rod with the looped end sticking out from the end of the rod. Using this “fishing rod” I was able to get the wire around the metal hook. I then grabbed both ends of the wire and pulled, bending the metal hook back out into a more accessible position.

I don’t know if I bent that right side hook in trying to get the clip off or if it was like that from the factory but what an absolute bitch of a job this was. Hope this bulb last a long time. Thanks for letting be vent. My finger tips will never be the same.
Hi MHR,
I have the same problem and I think my pic is the illustration of the very same case.
As I didn't used any tool but my poor fingertips, I can assure you that this anomaly is wether right from the factory or a previous BMW mechanic intervention.

Here's the reason why the right clip can't be push aside while the left is an absolute no brainer :
Edit: I did it! With some office kinda letter opener. After 2 days of fightning !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clip3.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	136202   Click image for larger version

Name:	letteropener.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	136226  

Last edited by Helmut_Chacho; Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:22 am. Reason: Solution
post #48 of 93 Old Dec 7th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut_Chacho View Post
Hi MHR,
I have the same problem and I think my pic is the illustration of the very same case.
As I didn't used any tool but my poor fingertips, I can assure you that this anomaly is wether right from the factory or a previous BMW mechanic intervention.

Here's the reason why the right clip can't be push aside while the left is an absolute no brainer :
Edit: I did it! With some office kinda letter opener. After 2 days of fightning !
Yep, looks similar to mine at the time. Congratulations on getting it done. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

2014 R1200RT Ebony
2008 Suzuki M109R2 Black
post #49 of 93 Old Dec 7th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Any thoughts on using 6K DDM Tuning HID replacement for a wethead....

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #50 of 93 Old Dec 7th, 2017, 10:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut_Chacho View Post
Here's the reason why the right clip can't be push aside while the left is an absolute no brainer : Edit: I did it! With some office kinda letter opener. After 2 days of fightning !
This approach seemed to get it for me, just w/ fingers, and quite quickly last time.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in