Bought an R1200RT Yesterday any advice? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

Bought an R1200RT Yesterday any advice?

I bought me an R1200RT yesterday, should pick it up Wed. New to BMW and looking forward to a brand new ride. I've owned a Honda K2, V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Concours and Harley 1200 Sportster. Any suggestions or advice with the Boxer or RT1200RT? Sold the Concours today, still looking for a buyer for the Harley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:25 pm

Talking

You should let me break it in for you. You just don't want to have to go through that.

Seriously, a full ride report after this week and again at about 2000 miles would be real cool.
post #3 of 25 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 6:36 pm

I picked mine up last weekend, so far it is everything I was hoping for. It now has 364 mi on from last weekend and shifting is really smoothing out now specialy from 1st to 2nd. there must have been some improvement in the shifting cogs or something because it seems to shift more like a japanese bike in comparison from my 2002 R1150R. It seems as nimble as the 1150 as well. the really cool thing that I like and it works very well is the computer input for 1up or 2up or with luggage with the 3 settings for comfort sport and normal.
I can actually feel it change the suspension Characteristics during the ride. Riding at night is a pleasure with the lighting that is provided, it almost covers the perephual of my vision with an easy to adjust knob when riding with a full load to prevent from blinding oncoming traffic. the ABS is without doubt the best I have ever felt (must have made an improvement there). I only have half my break in completed but still can feel the improvements made to the motor, definitely has more power. I also have noticed the motor vibration has been improved as well. Cruse control is flawless even when tapping the little button to make speed adjustments.
My wife complained of wind buffeting even when the windscreen is fully deployed (who cares) just kidding : ) but she is quite comfy back there with the large top case to use as a back rest and she gets to play with her individual heating on her seat...she really like that.
I am just weeeee shy of 6' and the bike fits me very well. The seats seem to be abit longer or something because there is more space for my wife and I without feeling closterphobic or fighting for space.
BC the onboard computer is fun to playwith but, I don't think that the Oil data is very accurate, its fine for awhile but then says that your low but then says your ok but then...you get the picture. I dont pay attention to it anymore...I just look at the glass.
Up in the highway speeds it a dream...It performed excellent even when the cross winds came and gave no hint of discomfort or suprizes, or unexpected shifts oneway or the other.
Again, all this is based on only 364 miles and a couple hundred left to go. Is it more comfy than an LT NO is more comfy that the 1150r yes would I recommend this bike...Absolutely am I bias, maybe but the fact is a fine machine and BMW has again proven there abilities.

If I can answer any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

post #4 of 25 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Smile Picked it up Today

Man, is it a sweet machine. Only has around 25 miles, but I can already tell, I'm going to like it for many, many more miles. There was another guy buying one today, seems I got the one he wanted and his old RT has over 204,000 miles on it with only normal service. Not a bad record, if the 1200RT does half that I will be happy. So far, I would have to say the finest bike that i have ever been on. More expensive yes, but you get a lot for the extra bucks. I agree with the ABS, I didn't ride the others, but I really like this one. Many thanks to all of those who post on the site, helps those of us new to feel a part of the community. My harley friends won't wave any more. Oh well, they should be lucky enough to ride one some day!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 25 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 9:28 pm

Red face Great ride

I just turned 4k on my 05 1200RT and the ride only gets smoother the more mile it has. I agree the oil gauge is not helpfull and after it telling me everything was "Alright" It was down almost a quart after a four day ride.

I does use a little more oil then I am acustom to, but well worth the trade off.
post #6 of 25 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandM
I just turned 4k on my 05 1200RT and the ride only gets smoother the more mile it has. I agree the oil gauge is not helpfull and after it telling me everything was "Alright" It was down almost a quart after a four day ride.

I does use a little more oil then I am acustom to, but well worth the trade off.

This dude at the dealer was getting his boxer bike serviced and told me he had just under 200,000. He advised me to not lug it around and stay within the 4000 rpm range because the boxer will use more oil when lugged...I wonder if that is true.
post #7 of 25 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:05 pm

i've had my R12RT for about 3 months now. still kinda low on mileage due to work travel, etc (1800 miles). But enough mileage to make some editorial comments... BTW, i'm 6'4", about 240lbs, and have an inseam of about 34".

gripes:
i love the stock windscreen most of the time, but a tall guy like me sometimes has some wind buffeting problems. i went to a taller and wider Cee Bailey's screen which solves that problem (at the expense of 10 - 15% gas mileage). i still interchange the screens since it's very easy to do.

i hated the stock seat. took it up to Rick Mayer and had it customized with his various foam inserts. big difference. i also had him raise the seat with an additional inch of padding for my long legs.

seating position/legs: i have long legs and my knees sometimes get a little sore. i'm trying the "sahara" pegs; not enough mileage right now to give a conclusive summary, though they help in letting me shift "cheek to cheek" while riding. i'm also going to try out the highway ottomans at some point (have them but not installed). i'm thinking about lowering the foot pegs by an inch or so. not sure how much effect this will have on riding the twisties since i haven't had the chance to do much aggressive riding lately. food for thought.

that's it for the gripes!

a couple of things to note:

-- i had the dealer do my 600 mile service, and the bike had considerably less "pep" afterwards. turns out they got conservative (or lazy) with the valve adjustment. i tweaked them back to spec (too loose) two days ago, and it made a HUGE difference. it's very easy to do.

-- i've heard reports of electrical issues when braking hard. probably due to a huge current surge between the ABS and the servo-assist. i forget where i read it, but that explains the manual addendum i was sent about a month ago.

yeah, i've burned through a lot of oil. 2 quarts added since the bike was new (plus the oil change at 600 miles). from what i hear, this is pretty normal on new R bikes. i expect this to be the case for at least another 10K miles until the rings etc are broken in.

i LOVE this bike. it's now my primary commute vehicle. fast and nimble and a wonderful lane splitting -- er -- lane sharing bike.

Jim Lippert
Belmont CA

CCR '01, '02, '03, '04, 05

Current bikes:

'12 K1600GTL (arrived 10/1/2011)

Past Bikes:
'98 Honda PC800
'01 BMW K1200LTC
'05 R1200RT
'05 HD FHLTCUI

"There's a fine line between clever and stupid" -- This Is Spinal Tap
post #8 of 25 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 9:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev
I bought me an R1200RT yesterday, should pick it up Wed. New to BMW and looking forward to a brand new ride. I've owned a Honda K2, V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Concours and Harley 1200 Sportster. Any suggestions or advice with the Boxer or RT1200RT? Sold the Concours today, still looking for a buyer for the Harley.
I got my '06 RT 2 weeks ago, and put 600 miles on it the first weekend. It goes in for the 600 mi. service this weekend, so I'm holding back on riding it much more.

I really like the bike. It gives me great mileage so far. The seat is comfortable enough for me, but I don't live far from Rocky Mayer, and may have him make a custom seat anyway. I'm kinda short at 5'9.5 and may need bar-backs of some kind.

For the kinda dough we lay out for this bike, I was severely disappointed in the tool kit, or lack thereof, and the fact that I only get one metal key. Talk about cheap-sh*t. So.. I'd start working up a tool set with some torx drivers, tire repair kit and some kind of multi-tool.

Aside from that, the bike is a joy to ride. I moved over from an LT and was concerned about weather protection, but of the 600 miles I have on it, 200 were in the rain and I was happy with the protection the fairing and windscreen offered. My gloves were about the only thing that get wetter than on the LT.
post #9 of 25 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 9:52 am

I've had three RTs. Don't ask, I have no excuse.
Will not be broken in until 12000 to 18000 miles. Will burn oil until broken in. Oil consumption will slowly decrease. One day you'll fire it up and wonder whose bike is this anyway, the change will be perceptible.
Don't ever lug the engine. Every ride should include RPM's approaching the Redline. Keeps everything cleaned out.
Don't lug the engine. Ride it like you stole it.
You're gonna love it!
post #10 of 25 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 6:37 pm

Cool

I bought my '05 R1200RT in April. Getting my 6K service tomorrow (10/22). Burns a lot of oil, but apparently normal for the first 10K. Fast, smooth and nimble, but not a quick shifter under hard acceleration.

Take the cases off and tear up the canyons. Put the cases on and tour as far as you want. This baby will cruise 80, 90, 100mph as long as you want (or cops let you). Topped out at 135mph with the fairing fuilly upright. Impressed the crotch rocket I was riding with when he looked over and I was hummin' along effortlessly while he was hanging on for dear life.

I just did a 1500 miler up thru N. California. The seat is a little narrow, had a few hot spots on the back of my thighs (6'4", 245#). I'll look into an Airhawk cushion or a Mayer saddle next time. No complaints otherwise. The longer I ride her, the better she gets. Kinda like the ex-girlfriend!
post #11 of 25 Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up It's kinda like looking over at the guy on a Harley

It's kinda like looking over at the guy on the Harley holding on to his ape hangers, bouncing around on the hard tale. I have just 200 miles in three days and I love the thing, not real pleased with the mirrors though . The only thing I regret is not buying one sooner. Now I know why you guys on beemers all look like your having fun, because you are.
post #12 of 25 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 6:50 pm

Hi,
I too love my new 1200RT since I traded my LT. Great bike, going for the 6k service this week. Also uses alot of oil. Just got back from the mountains of VA. Beautiful scenery this weekend. RT is so nimble in the curves and awesome at 75 cruising.
Ride on,
Eddie
05 R1200RT Rock Red
post #13 of 25 Old Oct 28th, 2005, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Just Hit 500 Miles

Just passed 500 miles and it keeps getting better. Have been getting 45 miles per gal. with a mix of city streets and highway. Took a 70 Mile trip today on the highway and averaged 51 miles per gal. at around 70 - 75 miles per hour. Picked up my tank bag today, kind of pricy @ $285, but they gave me a $1000 gift certificate with the bike and it is a functional bag, just wish it had a small outer pocket you could access from the side.

Had heard comments about the oil level indicator giving false alarms, windshield distortion and CD skip. None of these have turned out to be a concern. Sceduled the 600 Mile service today. They are booked two weeks out. Does anybody know where to get an LED Light bar that will work with the CAN system.

So after 500 miles, I say to anyone out there thinking about buying a BMW Go for it. I have owned two Honda's, a Kawasaki, Yamaha and a Harley and the R12RT beats everything else hands down. Smooth, great power and handling, excellent MPG, comfort and very little if any vibration.
Bruce
post #14 of 25 Old Oct 28th, 2005, 10:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
I have about 6,000 miles on a 2005 R1200RT and a 2006 R1200RT. Although I still prefer the appearance of the 2004 R1150RT, but the 1200 is superior in all areas of performance.

The changes from 2005 to 2006 in the R1200RT are pretty minor.

The colors are the same (alas, no Biarritz blue).

The illuminated red emergency flasher button on the left handlebar is gone. To engage the dual flashers, you press simultaneously both turn signal buttons. The ambient temperature indicator in the LCD, if you have the Bordcomputer (BC) now reads accurately, whereas it read 5° to 10° too cold on the 2005 models.

In order seemingly to lower the MSRP, BMW Motorrad USA has made a lot more a la carte for 2006. For example, cruise control and heated grips are now options! Moreover, you only get one metal key and, effectively, no tool kit -- the latter ending an 80-year long BMW tradition. It's a shame that you do not get two keys and a tool kit on a motorcycle that approaches $20,000 U.S. out the door.

The R1200RT does burn oil. I assume it is like the R1150RT, wherein the latter stops burning oil ca. 10,000-12,000 miles. Interestingly, the 2005 burns more oil in the beginning than the 2006 -- could be some sort of change or just differences in individual motorcycles.

Both Cycle World and Motorcyclist named the R1200RT the "Best Touring Bike" of 2005. I see no reason to disagree.

Jeff Dean
Tucson, Arizona, & Madison, Wisconsin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founder, Madison (Wisconsin) BMW Club, #1 (1968)
Co-founder, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, #115 (1972)
Co-founder, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, #2 (1972)
Co-founder, Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, #1 (1979)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Chief Instructor (1994)
Friend of the Marque, BMW Clubs International Council (1999)
Prof. Gerhard Knöchlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
R1200RT • R1250RT • 1967 R60/2
post #15 of 25 Old Oct 29th, 2005, 2:59 am

Great ride/new bike reports.

Quote:
My harley friends won't wave any more. Oh well, they should be lucky enough to ride one some day!!!!!!!!!
The HD guys that don't wave don't know what they're missing, they're probably guys that would rather go on parade in town than ride in the mountains. I've found that the HD guys on the touring bikes appreciate BMWs.

After a 45 minute 1200RT test ride - I sold my '02 HD Dyna T-Sport (FXDX-T) . Rode 3200 miles in the first two weeks, 25 degrees to over 100, sea level to 11,200 ft - it did not miss a beat. Added 16oz of oil over the first 3600 miles.
post #16 of 25 Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa_plt
Will not be broken in until 12000 to 18000 miles. Will burn oil until broken in. Oil consumption will slowly decrease. One day you'll fire it up and wonder whose bike is this anyway, the change will be perceptible.
Don't ever lug the engine. Every ride should include RPM's approaching the Redline. Keeps everything cleaned out.
Don't lug the engine. Ride it like you stole it.
You're gonna love it!

I Really like the way this guy thinks...kinda reminds me of ....well, ummm ME!!
post #17 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 1:16 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
not real pleased with the mirrors though
If you want to improve the mirror situation, the mirrors from any year K1200RS or R1150GS will fit in the holes on the bars near the brake and clutch reservoirs. They cost about 100 bucks new...

This will work on an LT too BTW

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tedhudson; Nov 3rd, 2005 at 1:57 am.
post #18 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 1:48 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Hey Ted,

I assume that's because the R1150GS uses the same handlebar controls as the LT and RS. Do they make hand guards for the 1150GS (like on motocross bikes)? Just wondering if I could fit some to my LT to help with very cold and/or very wet rides.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 1:59 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Hey Ted,

I assume that's because the R1150GS uses the same handlebar controls as the LT and RS. Do they make hand guards for the 1150GS (like on motocross bikes)? Just wondering if I could fit some to my LT to help with very cold and/or very wet rides.
They do make guards for the R11XXGS's. 1200GS's too. They may work on the LT but you's have to cut away some of the handle bar covers to attach them to the tubular bars underneath

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #20 of 25 Old Nov 6th, 2005, 8:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Thanks, Ted. I was hoping they mounted somewhere besides the actual handlebar. Maybe I'll just peruse my local Cycle Gear shop and see what turns up.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #21 of 25 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:09 am

I keep reading that burning oil until the R bike is broken in is normal. I have had 4 new K bikes and 2-R bikes in the last 6 years and I've never had a BMW to use one drop of oil yet. I even put 12k on one LT on an Alaska trip without an oil change and it never use one drop (dino oil too). I just got back from a 8k mile trip to Mexico on my 05 R12GS and it never use a drop. I did put synethic in though since I knew I was going to run over my normal 4k oil change.

One thing I do though on break-in is to not baby the engine. I load that sucker up with throttle to seat the rings early. I just avoid redline, full throttle take off's for the first couple hunded miles.

Doug Hines
Benton, AR
post #22 of 25 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:41 am

A few things I have found helpful... love it..

I love my 2005RT, after having a 1150 and a assorted bunch of other bikes.

I bought several small added accessories for it that I love:

1) Illium "Big Foot" sidestand plate - has a big clip so much easier to deploy the sidestand, the BMW original as far as I am concerned for the R12 is very easy to mis-deploy

2) Illium gearshift slip-over extension/expander - I use hairspay (a old motocross grip trick) to make this slide over install easier. This extender/expander helps avoid the "BMW pigeon toe"

3) Illium rear brake extension/expander - this requires drilling a 3/8" hole using the center hole of the brake peg - thru the steel back plate of the rear brake lever - use a wood block behind the plate, and use a new drill bit - it takes some time to get thru the BMW steel (a good thing) - but be careful since the drill heats up the steel lever/peg quite a bit (a surprising ouch). I would have preferred the "rectangle pad" extender/expander style I had on my r1150 - but that style I couldn't find for the R12. Again, it helps cure the "BMW pigeon toe" - great fit on both extenders, faultless.

4) Mequiar's NXT wax - this one works very well for me over my Piedmont Red, and is cheap. We can argue over wax all day.

Acessories that are OK but not ideal:

1) the BMW inner bags are great for long trip - much better/different than the aftermarker since the BMW;s have stiffeners - for daily riding I leave them at home

2) My Cee Bailey wintersheild - I wanted to be warm, but my choice +6" was bit too wide for me, + 2" height for winter was just right. The thicker plax is great, less "wobble" at idle.

3) Dowco xxl cover - the BMW with my 3 bags and CeeBailey was surpisingly a bit too small for the R12, the Dowco xxl (double xx) was right fit, but the material is a bit too stiff/hard for my tastes for a "purrfect" cover.

I ride strong to breakin my R12, and the bike reponds well to that - sure, disreagard the oil light - but I am one of those that "reset" my throttle control before every ride (see owner's manual for this).

Have fun with it - that's what thr R12 is best at, a riding bike rather than a garage worship bike.
post #23 of 25 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Hey Jimmy,
How you been? Been thinking about a new LT from my 2000 and have been looking at a 2005. BUT the lower weight would certainly be attractive to me. I know it may be comparing apples and oranges BUT would you suggest the RT over an LT? Remember I have an inseam of 29" and even with the elctronic centerstand, I am on tiptoes at stops.
Have just learned to deal with it?
BTW, Are you still with INTC? Big Apple things.

David Adler
post #24 of 25 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 8:07 am

break-in Oil Usuage

stay within the 4000 rpm range because the boxer will use more oil when lugged...I wonder if that is true.................quote

Yes, it also happened to me on my older RT some time ago.. Being new to the boxer engine back then, I rigidly followed old habits and took it easy on her ! Big mistake, still using oil thru 16K , until I spent a very spirited, fast, high rev weekend in the CO mountains with some friends, among whom included Cary, owner of Marin BMW. My bike quit using oil after that weekend

After the first 300-500 miles or so, I broke my new 1200 GS engine in the hard way ! Never looked back..

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #25 of 25 Old May 24th, 2006, 3:34 am

Wink R1200RT views

It has been about 7 months and 8000km since I bought my new R1200RT. It has performed flawlessly for this time. My biggest complaint with the bike is the poor headlight on highbeam. The light gives plenty of spread but no distance down the road - any suggestions? The original Metzeler Roadtec tyres are not the best either. I will be replacing these with Bridgestone BT020's. These performed well on my old R1100RT with plenty of grip wet or dry. Fuel economy is very good too - about 5L/100km.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in