Valve Stem size - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By MarcParnes
  • 1 Post By jpmfx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Valve Stem size

I'm posting this on the RT Thread (in addition to the "Tires" area) since it may be overlooked on the "Tires" area since it doesn't seem to be visited very often.

I will be installing my first set of tires on my 2005 RT that Iíve owned for less than a year. The rear tire had a belt separation last weekend while my wife and I were going down the road at about 75. All of a sudden it felt like we where running on the warning track at the edge of road. Bike was amazingly well behaved with the flat. We came to a stop and found the rear tire flat with a blow-thru where the steel belt failed. I have ordered a set of PR4ís and will mount and balance as soon as they arrive (I have the equipment to do so).

My question is this --- Is the valve stem used on RTís the standard automotive size? In other words, is the hole in the rim the same size as is commonly used in automotive tires or is it some strange BMW size that requires you to go to the dealer and sell your first born so you can afford to buy what should be a $1 part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 1:17 pm

Re: Valve Stem size

Diameter is listed as 15 mm and the OE part number is 36 31 7 653 064 for $5.73 on Max's site.

Marc
tvguy likes this.

Marc Parnes
'16 R1200RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 2:52 pm

If you can mange the extra cost, I'd consider using an angled stem in the rear. I never saw the need until I needed air and found there was no way the gas station tire chuck could reach the valve. Next time I replaced the tire I bought a pair of these and sold one. This is MUCH easier to reach. Don't know how the stems are measured, but the hole in the rear rim is 11.8mm.

Larry
2006 R1200RT

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 4:32 pm

Standard size , autozone, napa. Nothing special. Changed mine to steel for aftermarket tire pressure caps.
post #5 of 14 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 4:36 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Listen it what Marc says... he is the king of all things tires. I dumped the rubber value stems and went with the aluminum units in the previous post. Much easier to use and you never need to be replaced.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #6 of 14 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 5:08 pm

here's one from wunderlich.
I'm almost 100% certain that anything with .453" you see in the stores will work but you'll need a short stem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve.png
Views:	351
Size:	943.9 KB
ID:	72994  
beech likes this.

Last edited by jpmfx; Jan 30th, 2015 at 5:11 pm. Reason: additional bumf
post #7 of 14 Old Jan 31st, 2015, 8:37 am

kurveygirl.com has chrome plated steel that are angled an fit wit no mods on LT and RT . Have one to install on rear of 07S at next tire change.

Bob G
11RT
07S
post #8 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2015, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

I finally got around to putting my new tires on the RT (work has gotten in the way). I built a wooden jig to hold the rim and allow me to remove and install the tires with the NO-MAR bar I bought online. Using my jig and some RU-Glyde allowed the tires to slide off and on with very little problems. The valve stem is a stock size used on most all automobile rims for the last 40 years. I bought a package of 2 at an auto parts store for about 2 dollars. I didnít use a metal stem since it weighed about 4 times what the rubber one weighed. This would have required considerable more rim weights to balance the tire, which I didnít want.
post #9 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2015, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thezz View Post
I finally got around to putting my new tires on the RT (work has gotten in the way). I built a wooden jig to hold the rim and allow me to remove and install the tires with the NO-MAR bar I bought online. Using my jig and some RU-Glyde allowed the tires to slide off and on with very little problems. The valve stem is a stock size used on most all automobile rims for the last 40 years. I bought a package of 2 at an auto parts store for about 2 dollars. I didnít use a metal stem since it weighed about 4 times what the rubber one weighed. This would have required considerable more rim weights to balance the tire, which I didnít want.
I have TPMS so I can't change valve stems. So you guys that still have straight short stems get a right angle adapter from you local BMW shop so you can adjust your air at any gas station. Yes it's overpriced.

2007 BMW R1200RT
2005 SV 650 "nekid"
post #10 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2015, 9:53 pm

Quote:
U can still order the lead weights.
post #11 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2015, 9:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALDTIRES View Post
Yes it's overpriced.
...said the BMW owner.
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2015, 11:48 am Thread Starter

I misspoke, I bought a No-Scuff tool (No-scufftiretool.com), not a NO-Mar tool. I stand corrected.
post #13 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2015, 12:17 pm

Quote:
The valve stem is a stock size used on most all automobile rims for the last 40 years.
Since the advent of tubeless tires, in fact.

Did you know that the size of the hole in the rim is different for rims that require tube-type tires? An industry standard designed to keep you from attempting a tubeless installation on a rim not designed with a bead retention feature.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 12:01 pm

resurrecting a new thread since i'm too new to send a PM...

Thezz, do you happen to have any pics or plans of your wooden tire-changing jig? that sounds very interesting!
thx a bunch
ron

Tags
mounting, tires, valve stem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in