Pairing the AP, Nav V and iPhone - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Scubadoc
  • 1 Post By hopz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 14th, 2014, 11:52 am Thread Starter

Smile Pairing the AP, Nav V and iPhone

Anyone having any success at this? (BMW bought back my Schuberth/BMW Comms system after four failures in six months.) Now I'm struggling with, do I try Sena 20S, or N-Com B4, or?

I have a 9 months old 2014 R12RT with all the bells and whistles, and can't enjoy most of them. Anyone have the order in which these have to be paired? Nothing in either the Nav V book nor the BMW Operators Manual says anything about the pairing order/process

15 R1200GS
14 R1200RTW
10 F650GS
08 R1200GS (gone)
80s K1100LTA (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 14th, 2014, 12:01 pm

With my scala I pair phone to GPS and helmet to bike. Make sure the others are not turned on while pairing the other. Works fine for me. Music in helmet gotta shut off loudspeaker first. Phone calls on gps
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 14th, 2014, 2:01 pm

Re: Pairing the AP, Nav V and iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by davagail View Post
With my scala I pair phone to GPS and helmet to bike. Make sure the others are not turned on while pairing the other. Works fine for me. Music in helmet gotta shut off loudspeaker first. Phone calls on gps
Same with the Sena 20S.

I HIGHLY recommend Rocketmoto as a vendor. Great support and very knowledgeable.

Greg
2014 R1200RT
South Central California

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 14th, 2014, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrichards View Post
Anyone having any success at this? (BMW bought back my Schuberth/BMW Comms system after four failures in six months.) Now I'm struggling with, do I try Sena 20S, or N-Com B4, or?

I have a 9 months old 2014 R12RT with all the bells and whistles, and can't enjoy most of them. Anyone have the order in which these have to be paired? Nothing in either the Nav V book nor the BMW Operators Manual says anything about the pairing order/process
It depends on how you want to use your iPhone. If you want calls to come through the Nav and to be able to listen to music from the bike through your helmet, the sequence is as follows. This is for the Sena, but others are probably similar:
1) make sure iPhone and nav bluetooth are off
2)pair bike bluetooth with Sena as Media or A2DP, button taps for pairing should be covered with your helmet communicator device.
3) Turn off bike
4) Pair Nav to Helmet bluetooth using multi-media pairing sequence
5) Pair iPhone to Nav
Now you should be able to shut off all devices. Turn on bike and helmet. They should automatically pair. Turn on Nav next, then tun on iPhone. Everything should sink.
Mr BMVOO likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 14th, 2014, 11:36 pm

I'm using the Nolan B4 system in a N104 and it works well 1 up.
The BM setup will only recognise my helmet though and won't affiliate helmet two.
When I have the "Boss" aboard we spend more time talking to each other than listening to tunes anyway so it's not really a problem.
It would be nice to utilise the system fully but we can't see the need to buy two new System helmets that for us aren't all that comfy and two communicator setups. We love our Nolan N104s so we'll stick with them and live with the compatibilituy limitations.

smurff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by smurff; Dec 14th, 2014 at 11:42 pm. Reason: additions
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2014, 8:59 am

You post is timely... or, possibly I should say that we are on the same path and nearly the same time.

I have the Sena SMH10 and it works great but there were various birthing pains along the way.

Some things I learned...

1. Get the Sena app for your computer and do the update to the latest firmware. Yes, it matters.

2. Feel free to contact Sena tech support using the on-line... email system. Sure, a phone would seem better but they are responsive and can/will help. The cool thing is that after the first email conversation with the Tech guy... you will always go back to the same conversation with the guy at Sena and the previous chats will be shown. This way if your guy is not there, the next guy can see what you already were trying to do, and you can print the advice/steps the Sena guy says.

3. Be certain to tell the Tech Support person what hardware you have... especially the bike and its systems. On my first contact with them they actually transferred me to a Tech who was more familiar with the BMW bike/system.

4. In fact the sequence of what you pair- when- is not relevant... any sequence will work, but having said that... I like to figure out how to do it then do it the same way every time.

5. There is one "tip" I discovered and the Tech Guys at Sena and my "Guru" at the dealership mentioned... but it is apparently often over looked. The Bike comes in two configurations... one without the GPS and of course the one With the GPS. The BMW B/T system operates one way with it, and another way with out it.

Most importantly this can will cause confusion for newbies and the BMW manual does not address the differences.

Basically IF you have the NAV5 then pairing anything to the bike... will go through the NAV5... but this is transparent. If you do not have the GPS then pairing to the bike's audio system is slightly different. (hint: if you are trying to use the BMW Owner's Manual as a guide... it assumes you do not have the GPS, and thus the manual can add to the confusion rather than being helpful.)

When riding solo... meaning I do not want to Pair to my passenger.. I have discovered that it is easier to turn on the bike first, (either full start or just key-on) make sure the Speakers are turned off, page to "Audio" and scroll down to BT Pairing and set it to searching... THEN power On the Sena, then turn on pairing using the A2DP process. (A2DP is best here because that is stereo).... the pairing process for A2DP is slightly different from the process used for Rider to Passenger pairing.

What is basically unseen is that if you have a GPS... are really pairing the Sena to the GPS. Also note that you do not have to do anything to the actual GPS device... it will automatically be the device you are pairing to...

If you use a Smart Phone you can turn its BT On and it will more or less automatically pair to the GPS.

(note:... I had worked myself into a tizzy trying to figure out why the Phone option on the GPS was not bright and turned On. I loved the way my old Zumo synched so easy to my phone and the entire phonebook, contacts etc were there- and the phone was so easy to use)... well the new system works just as well but it does not appear to work at all until and unless the phone is successfully paired.)

So, at this point the Sena is paired to the bike (which means the Audio System) (which goes through the GPS invisibly) and the phone is paired to the GPS.

This gives me the full Audio system (Radio/Audio sources via devices in the right hand box and the Sirius radio*) paired to my helmet and the GPS's Phone capability is also paired to my Helmet. I also assume if I have media in the GPS by way of an SD card it can play as well... but I have not tried it.

If I want the passenger to pair- I can do that before or after the dance I describe above.

I also learned that if the system is successfully paired there is a "Dot" to the left of the BT symbol on the dash when it is connected. Before successfully pairing... that Dot will be blinking during the searching process. Once paired, the dot goes solid and whichever audio source is turned on/selected will play automatically. Note- it may take a moment for the audio to make sound especially if you are in the garage etc... so give it a moment to get signal and play.

Once I finally figured this dance out I extracted the steps and wrote it down on a slip of paper which I carry in my jacket. This way I can follow the steps... until I train myself on the method...

So far it seems to work.

* this is a whole different problem but I might as well mention it here... Changing and selecting channels on the Sirius radio is yet another mystery. If you select Sirius and use the wheel-press to switch to the next screen there will two options. One says "Category" and there is another... which I don't use and have forgot about. If you select Category then you can pulse the jog wheel switch (thumb push not dial) and you can go from one channel to the next. Once you get what you want, apparently there is a way to save your favorite (s). I just leave mine on one station...

I hope this helps so... as usual... your actual mileage may vary...
wArt likes this.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #7 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2014, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz View Post
When riding solo... meaning I do not want to Pair to my passenger.. I have discovered that it is easier to turn on the bike first, (either full start or just key-on) make sure the Speakers are turned off, page to "Audio" and scroll down to BT Pairing and set it to searching... THEN power On the Sena, then turn on pairing using the A2DP process. (A2DP is best here because that is stereo).... the pairing process for A2DP is slightly different from the process used for Rider to Passenger pairing.

What is basically unseen is that if you have a GPS... are really pairing the Sena to the GPS. Also note that you do not have to do anything to the actual GPS device... it will automatically be the device you are pairing to...
I'm not sure how you could pair to the GPS "unseen" . In other descriptions I've seen for the process (and how I got it to work) you have to specifically pair the phone to the GPS, then the Sena to the GPS then the bike to the Sena to get audio from the bike. Each step requires you to use the menu in the device to start the pairing process. So you have to be in the GPS menus to pair it to anything.

The media player in the Navigator is disabled when attached to the RT cradle.

Graham
post #8 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2014, 4:50 pm

I am obviously delusional in my old age.

Please disregard anything I said in my long post above...

when I get it figured out I will re-post.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”

Last edited by hopz; Dec 15th, 2014 at 6:28 pm.
post #9 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2014, 4:53 pm

If you want to use the Garmin Nav 5 smartphone app, which lets you download realtime traffic information, among other things, to the Garmin, you need to pair the iPhone to the Garmin.
post #10 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2014, 6:24 pm

If you have an iPhone and want to use Siri to make a voice activated phone call by pushing the back button on the Sena unit, you cannot pair the phone to the NAV 5 GPS. It will not work. I like to initiate my calls with voice activation rather than scrolling through my contact list on the NAV 5. The downside is that I do not get caller ID for incoming calls.
post #11 of 14 Old Dec 16th, 2014, 7:36 am

I don't make phone calls while riding either my car or my bike, so that is a non-issue for me. If I receive a call while riding my bike, I can use the Nav phone icon to answer it, but I usually just let it go to vm.
post #12 of 14 Old Dec 16th, 2014, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrichards View Post

I have the BMW nav and I was able to pair both helmets without any problems.
1 - Reset to make sure that all pairing is off
2 - Pair driver's helmet to Nav
3 - Pair Passenger's helmet to nav helmet II
4 - Pair both helmets to each other
5 - Pair your nav to your iphone /android blue tooth
6 - pair your passenger phone to helmet II
There is an instruction booklet that comes with the com system. and there are several scenarios which you need to pick and follow to the "T". i.e. one helmet, two helmets with nave etc.
Hope this helps. The only problem that I have found is when I am listening to music and decide to use the intercom with the passenger all works as described, Coming back to music for both helmets while riding I have not been able to but it is probably that i need a refresher on the instructions.
Hope this helps
post #13 of 14 Old Dec 20th, 2014, 10:46 pm

All I use is GPS and phone calls.

I just want to make calls or receive them without any weird connection anomaly taking place--which often happens.

I just paired the Sena to the Nav5, then I paired the phone to the Nav5, and we ll see how that works.

I don't listen to music while I ride. In fact, I bought a radio-less RTW. My only interactions are with the GPS and the phone, and I am having a lot of connection problems. I can't imagine passenger, radio, Siri, ipod.

I tried just connecting my phone to the Sena and using voice command, but that is even more hectic and inefficient.
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 21st, 2014, 8:23 am

I will not repeat the long post I made above. I will say I think I have made some progress.

I have had long discussions with Sena Tech support who has been very helpful on this subject. They know how their system works and are pretty familiar with the BMW system, but not completely, and do not have solid "answers" for every situation.
Garmin is also very helpful but if you call be certain to ask to speak to Support people in the OEM section. They are more knowledgeable than the first-line supporters. They know their system but are not as familiar with the combination of BMW systems and B/T systems. But they do have some answers.

The dealership is more knowledgeable about the bike systems but less so about GPS/Phone/and B-T connections. Their advice to me has been sort of try something and let us hear if it works...

This makes a "Tri-lemma"... thats a dilemma with three sides...

What I learned from a member here on the board seems to work... but more testing (for me) relies on the weather here in Colorado. Your actual mileage may vary.

1. Learn that on a Sena system there are three (actually 4) different pairing methods that give different results. Be certain you know how the headset pairing options work. (multi-point, A2DP, etc)
2. Turn ON your headset. Let it get ready for 30 seconds or more as you prepare for the ride... just power on- no pairing.
3. Turn ON the bike power... and be sure the Audio System is turned Off. (First button on left panel)... press and hold till dashboard shows nBMW logo or at least it is clear there are no Audio functions powered On.
4. Pair Headset to Nav5.
5. Pair iPhone to Nav5.
6. Turn ON Bike System.
7. Use Button/Page press to get to Audio, then Press Jog Wheel to get to B/T pairing... set to Searching mode.
8. Pair Headset to bike... (use the A2DP method so that you have stereo) Bike will search and hopefully find the headset which will be "available" on the search screen of the bike. Select Helmet 1... or what ever shows in your set-up. This may take a little longer than you think. Let it search/find.

Then all should work. But... sometimes it seems to not work.... then it does. (?)

All bike audio systems would be heard in headset in stereo. Navigation prompts from Nav5 and phone options should be ON... meaning the Blue phone icon is active on the Nav5. Then you have the phone directory, Calls in/Out, caller id etc.

note: Garmin insists that the headset is paired to the Nav5 BEFORE the Phone.

If you also pair to a passenger... I do not know when to do that but I "think" you can do that either before or after the dance outlined above.

2014 R1200RT WC

Last edited by hopz; Dec 21st, 2014 at 8:28 am.

Tags
bmw ap, bmw nav v, n-com b4, r1200rt, sena 20s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in