BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Which option have you or will you chose?

2014 R1200RTLC BMW Motorrad USA Owner's Option's Poll

5K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Motodan 
#1 ·
Now that the options have been communicated officially by BMW Motorrad US to owners of bikes affected by the do not ride advisory on June 5th, 2014 what option have you chosen or think you will go with?

Wait it out and the $2500 when fixed?

Loaner and $1000 in dealer credit when your bike is fixed?

Trade in on another model BMW and $1000 owner loyalty credit?

Buy back and walk away?

The poll will be more accurate if only those truly affected in the US vote and might give an idea of what your fellow owners are opting for. If you are not affected or somewhere where the offer is not valid, it might be interesting to see if what you would have picked compares to what those affected and voting chose.

Comments and discussion welcome.

#2 ·
Thanks for the poll, interesting result.

I chose the lighter weight tourer over the K bikes just a few months ago, and I'm sticking with that decision. I can understand the urge to get back on the road right now though, good luck to all no matter what your choice is.

NB

#5 ·
Well now, I don't have one but it seems to me that waiting for the repair and getting $2500.00 cash is pretty attractive. Credit at the dealership means little since the asking price on everything can be manipulated. You can't manipulate cash. There's pros and cons to each. I have an extra cycle, so I would look at as being paid not to ride the Beemer for a few months. Saves miles on the bike and makes the payment while it's out of service.

#6 ·
Completed the deal today. Went for the trade in option for a '14 GT. After riding it, the weight was a non issue. Part of my reasoning was that the '14 RTW value was going to tank (I'll be curious to see if that turns out to be true). I even looked at a FJR and Concours but couldn't find enough motivation to go that route. So, I'm back to BMW. One interesting thing to me about this whole mess was the difference in dealer customer support. Denver BMW was solid the whole way--a bit slow, but they got there. This is the fifth new bike I bought from them so I'm sure they want to keep me around buying from them. From comments by others on this forum, some dealers didn't seem to give a tail pipe about keeping their customers. Also, I think there are dealers and there are DEALERS as far as BMW-NA is concerned. Some they support and will go out of their way for, and others, not so much. Says something about establishing good business relationships between dealer-customer and dealer-manufacturer.

Interesting poll results. Good idea for other issues in the future as well.

#7 ·
Appreciate getting the poll going.

One major influence that may skew any final poll results is the lack of my dealer's willingness to participate in two of the options (trade-in and full-time loaner). There may be other dealers doing the same.

For me, one poll decision factor is the further development timeline between fix availability and BMW's repurchase protocol timing. If fix becomes imminent before repurchase can be completed, will wait for fix. Otherwise will let bike go (if we agree to my repurchase price). I may become a BMW customer again, with another R12RT or write this riding season off, while enjoying another buying experience in the Fall...for perhaps a better deal, different color, different make or whatever.

#13 ·
Appreciate getting the poll going.

One major influence that may skew any final poll results is the lack of my dealer's willingness to participate in two of the options (trade-in and full-time loaner). There may be other dealers doing the same.
Excellent point, Moto. Dealers can turn it into a two choice option and for people with a high need/desire for a bike to ride immediately it defaults to buy back depending on timing.

Dealers who are not participating are clearly putting their perceived interests first. It is my information communicated from my dealer that is taking care of their customers well that they have been constantly "in BMW's face" about getting this resolved and moving. They have paperwork which was made available by BMW USA to successfully complete the various scenarios from the option list and work with a Regional Rep on any details in individual cases. This was prior to the official customer email of the options. They also have been informed production of replacement units is ahead of schedule. All this is unconfirmed but they are a very good dealership, and have not steered me wrong in numerous years and have successfully put people on loaners and trade ins. Their understanding is that BMW US will cut a check @ 30 days after receipt of the paperwork. I did not discuss whether the checks were for full purchase or some amount minus mileage what accessories were included etc.

People responding to the survey from countries without the four options and not in the total of US bikes can affect the outcome, but the early numbers suggest the market will not be flooded with bought back or traded RTWCs. Local conditions will play a big factor in the number available. Another thing is that the approx 800 bikes effected include dealer stock so we really don't know the total individual owners involved in a decision process or what arrangements BMW has made with its dealers concerning compensation on those units.

Dealers who are claiming lack of knowledge are either blowing smoke up customers behind or are displaying an apathetic effort to read their dealer net, contact or speak with their regional rep, or avail themselves of their other BMW dealer support resources. It is unfortunate that with BMW listing only 139 dealers of bikes in the US network that for many dealer choice is lacking.

#8 ·
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but if I did I'd opt for the buy back. Sure the $2500 to wait it out would be tempting BUT basically you'll have a 1 year old bike for REAL VALUE purposes by the time the fix becomes available.
Figure $2500 as a routine depreciation value on any new bike the first year. So basically your being compensated for the depreciation and nothing for the loss of use. I'd take my money and go buy something else to ride for a year or two and get back on the RT at some point down the road.
So for me the buy back and walk would be my option choice. Glad I don't have to make the choice.

#9 ·
Traded in my RT today for the K1600GTL. Looks like it will be a great bike for the long trips I have planned. I just have to get used to the longer wheel base and heavier weight, but the test rides weren't a problem.
I bought the RT because of the lighter weight and ease of handling and still comfortable for trips. I had 1299 miles on it when it was parked for the duration and loved the way it rode and handled. I will keep the K16GTL for a year or two and when my aching bones and joints start to scream, I'll sell it and get another RT. Hopefully by then they will have all the first model year kinks ironed out.
The dealer stepped up to the plate as soon as they heard from their BMW regional rep on how to process the three options. I got the $1000 credit and the $1250 factory incentive and now I'm on the road again.
Ps: I still haven't heard from the BMW customer service rep.

#11 ·
With no 2015 RT option, I chose the buyback... but looks like it'll be a slow process. Sent all the docs I was asked almost a week ago, and still no reply. Anyway, I chose the RT over the K16GT by a VERY narrow margin, and only because the GT was (and still is) being plagued by mechanical issues. And it didn't have any of the great RT improvements (Brembo monoblock radial brakes, quick-shifter, dynamic ESA, better dash, etc). Otherwise the GT would have won by a narrow margin as well. I liked the much shorter RT wheelbase, all the above-mentioned upgrades, and the significantly lighter weight. I also liked the little twin much better than I anticipated, but still prefer the sliky-smooth and significantly more powerful six on the GT. Wish I could justify owning both, but I can't with the little riding that I do, so have to compromise.

Finally, besides not making financial sense to keep the stigmatized '14 RT, and not having an option (with a rebate) for a 2015 RT, want to see what the '15 GT will bring before making my final decision. Hopefully BMW will have the troublesome K1600s sorted by then after 3 freaking years trying :rolleyes:. If it comes with significant improvements, and no more mechanical surprises until it's time to choose, I'd probably get that one by the end of the year (to hopefully get some rebates). If not, then I'd get a '15 RT... hopefully in a better color :D. I bought my 'Callisto Grey' sight unseen, and I wasn't happy to see what looked like an Army (green) bike waiting for me :p. And the other 2 choices are not much better for my taste. In the mean time, will probably keep the $2K+ in accessories I bought, in case I'm back on an RT :cool:. Have a good rest of the year folks.

#12 ·
Here in Australia, I took the option of swapping out my 14RT for a fully optioned 14 GS (including `gear shift assist'). Thus far the GS is an exceptional ride, exceedingly good on Australian roads (on par with NY City streets).

Went out for a ride today to the Central Coast in strong winter 60 mph cross winds and the GS handled the conditions much better than my last few RT's.

Must say that I am quite smitten with the 14 GS, I miss my RT, but in no way feel short changed with the my change to the GS (guess there is a little Charlie Boreman in all of us).

All's well that ends well.....thank you BMW Australia (and Germany).:)

Cheers
Speedy

#15 ·
Traded in.

Just received a K1600GT, all options, installed a-rider front. wunderlich rear crash bars are coming.

While RT is an excellent bike, K is ultimate. Will not have to miss hill assist & gear assist for too long. It handles so much better (slow & fast), much more stable, engine power... everything is better.

I was very concerned about the added weight but it turned out to be non issue. (well it could be harder push it, but not by much)

Traded RT with nearly 10k kilometers, received considerable discount on K and all the extras on RT credited.

So it really turned quite well.

Good luck and happy riding...

#19 ·
So my question is how binding is the offer or our choice to BMW NA we make now. I am on the fence between choices. I want my bike fixed and will be happy to keep it. If time drags on do I have the option to change my mind (providing the bike has not been fixed)

I guess my question is if we give them an answer now is it a binding contract?:kaboom:

#20 ·
Well, I for one am glad that some of you decided to trade your scoots in. Because you did I am the proud new owner of a custom RDL saddle. One of our brother forum frequenters, who shall remain nameless (cough cough Adirondackjack), went through the painful process of ordering a custom seat...only to have the seat finally delivered a few days after the Stop-Ride order came out. I'm the benefactor of his decision to opt for a trade.

Sorry, Rep. Just bustin your nads. I love the seat. It's like a beautiful angel is caressing my glutes with pillowy, yet supporting hands. :dance:

#21 ·
My experience tells me that the average loss on BMW motorcycles or really any other is about $2500+ as soon as you sign the sales contract. How many RT owners on this forum thru the years bought their bike and decided they wanted a GS instead and the most the dealer would pony up on trade was $16500 for a 20k bike? So basically the offer of $2500 is for the loss you'd take regardless in first year depreciation, aka RESALE value, not trade in value. So what am I getting at? It is simple, BMW is going to be looking at selling those bikes bought back for approximately $2500 below new cost. Is this going to have a future devaluation of the 14 RT? I seriously doubt it. You still have a limited number of bikes being resold, and resold at a RESALE value one would expect on any previous year RT.
As I said I'd likely sell mine back because I ride far too much to be without even for a couple months. I'd likely pick up a Trophy SE until BMW had the issues resolved.

#22 ·
Wondering if those who indicated they were going the buy-back route have signed an Agreement to do so yet. From what I gather BMW CS in New Jersey has been very unresponsive with regard to the buy-back option. I was told it takes about 30 days to complete process after an Agreement is signed (at dealer where you turn the bike in) however, we're six weeks into this....has anybody signed one yet, let alone get a buy-back check?

#23 ·
They probably got more people wanting their money back than they bargained for and want to discourage it. Seems like people will have to wait as long or longer to get their money back as get it repaired. As much as BMW did the right thing in a sense, it's still a fiasco.

Now I hear BMW is repairing the shocks, not replacing them. That's rich.

#25 ·
One month to the day after I submitted all documentation requested, and not a freaking word from BMW. Am going to call for the 3rd time after hitting 'send' on this. Not a happy camper, especially when my intention is to buy another BMW motorcycle. The only 2 recent-build GT Sports that I found (one in Tucson and the other in San Diego) refused to do a trade for my RT, even though I offered to ride the bike there. So I'm tied with the buyback. I'd most likely buy one of those 2 bikes after the buyback to at least get the $1,250 rebate (I should also get the $1K since it's not my fault those 2 dealers don't want to deal with BMW on the RT), but if BMW continues like this, might leave the brand for good. I'm not asking for a prompt buyback; just for the freaking courtesy to tell me what the hell to expect. Nobody knows anything. My dealer washed his hands too.

Wondering if somebody else doing the buyback has heard from BMW. Thx.

#29 ·
One way to reduce the mental anguish of BMW's non-communicative nature...take the damn bike out and ride it. Not fully loaded, not at break-neck speeds and not through corkscrews....just take a ride in the country. After you get home you may just decide to keep it, get it fixed and get $2,500.00. Plus you might just decide to ride it again. From the dealers I've spoken to a lot of our colleagues, in this R1200RT "club", are doing just that. And yes there will be risks so....DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT AN ENTICEMENT TO RIDE...SIMPLY AN OBSERVATION.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.