2010-2013 R1200RT Hitch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

2010-2013 R1200RT Hitch

I am aware of the Bushtec hitch for the RT, however, I would really like to have a hitch with a removable receiver like the Dauntless unit I used on my K1200LT for my 2013 R1200RT. I contacted DMC regarding this and they responded that there wasn't enough demand to justify production.

Kind of surprises me....

Bottom line, anyone out there interested in this type of hitch, please contact DMC via their web page contact form that can be found here:

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/contact-us/

Maybe if there is enough interest, they will produce a hitch for us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 6:02 pm

Re: 2010-2013 R1200RT Hitch

Will the 2014 be so different that a hitch made for 2010-13 models won't fit the 2014 model? I would like to see them make a hitch capable of fitting the models 2010 to 14. I will put this on their contact page as well, hopefully enough response will get something in the works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 7:04 pm

2013 RT has swingarm/driveshaft on the right.
2014 RT has swingarm/driveshaft on the left.
2014 has entirely different frame.
There is no way a hitch can fit both 2013 and 2014.

Larry
2006 R1200RT

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 12th, 2014, 11:13 am

joeb83, I have the bushtec hitch for my 2011RT and like yourself really don't like the hitch stickin down when I'm not using. Here is the thing though, it removes (the entire hitch) in about 10 minutes tops. Mine is hanging in the shed right now because I have no plans to tow in the near future.
There is a small bracket on the right side that once in place provides the right side mounting point & is completely concealed by the saddlebag. Other than this small attachment, everything else unbolts easily (2 left front bolts, 1 left rear peg mount, and one right mount). The hitch can be installed and removed without pulling any other components.
My power for the trailer lights gets rolled up under the seat when not in use and fished back down past the rear panels when needed. I wired directly to the rear light assy without using a convertor. You can do this if your trailer has led lights without over-loading the canbus. You can purchase the sideways lead/wire ends from any auto-parts store to make the wiring connections correctly. Or you can use a convertor off the battery, your choice.
The main point of my posting is that the BT hitch can be removed or installed with little time and effort. I believe it took me about 30 minutes the first time to get everything installed. A good bit of that time was going to the hardware store to get the CORRECT length bolts to mount the hitch properly. Once you have the right bolt lengths the install is dead easy.
One tip for you or anyone else: The two front left mounts are the gear selector mount bolts. Do NOT remove them both at the same time. Back them both out a little so the hitch can be fished into place and then remove and install the new longer bolts needed to mount the hitch one at a time. Each of these bolts get a nut when the hitch is installed so don't run them all the way in until the nuts are started. I leave these bolts with nuts in place when the hitch is removed.
Hope this helps.....

Tags
hitch, r1200rt, removable received

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in