Anyone able to look over LT in Colorado Springs? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 7:19 pm Thread Starter

Anyone able to look over LT in Colorado Springs?

I'm in the Chicago area and am very interested in a K1200 in Colorado Springs CO. Picking it up and getting it home won't be a problem, but buying something this pricey at a distance has me a little (just a little) uneasy as I've always bought local in the past. There's something to be said about the comfort factor of seeing it yourself, with your own eyes. Any chance someone in the area feels like driving by the owners house and taking a look at it? I don't mean a real detailed time consuming thing, just a quick look over. The owner says he has had all service work done there at the dealer, and has records to show for it. I certainly don't mean to ask anyone to go way out of their way, or spend a lot of time for me............might be an excuse for a quick ride after work(?).
That aside, does anyone have any advice in general about buying sight unseen that might help me and others in a situation like this? Bike looks great in the pictures. Thanks to all, dwillie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwillie
That aside, does anyone have any advice in general about buying sight unseen that might help me and others in a situation like this? Bike looks great in the pictures. Thanks to all, dwillie.
I would suggest getting the VIN number & do a web search for the history of the bike.
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 8:05 pm

I bought my LT about 800 miles from where I live. After I talked to the guy by phone , and checked him out to see if he was legitimately in business, I sent him a couple hundred bucks deposit (via PayPal) to hold the bike until I could get there. Our agreement was that if I didn't think the bike was as he had represented, that I could have my deposit back. I had a cashiers check with me for the balance that I owed him.

In my situation, the experience was a positive one. The guy I bought the bike from paid for me to take it to his local BMW dealer for an inspection. I bought the bike with no surprises.

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 8:15 pm

Get dealership on the line

The owner says he has had all service work done there at the dealer, and has records to show for it.
That aside, does anyone have any advice in general about buying sight unseen that might help me and others in a situation like this? Bike looks great in the pictures. Thanks to all, dwillie.[/QUOTE]
1. If the person had the service work done, then the dealership should know the bike and will have records. Depending on year and milage they may even be willing to back that up with extended service coverage (for a price of course)
2. I have found that almost all BMW riders are upfront about their bikes condition. I have had some tell me about minor flaws that would have taken months-years for me to discover if I ever did. (like a pin sized hole on the underneath side of the passenger seat) Even guys like me who will tell you, I ride it hard, if I didn't kill it you wont!
3. Not sure what you mean by sight unseen, you are going to make the final decision when you get there and check out the bike correct. If you make the trip and don't like the bike at that price you can, walk away or renegotiate the price (of course you are at a disadvantage having made the trip and not wanting to return empty handed)
I would only send a deposit on the grounds that if the bike was misrepresented in anyway, I get my money back and never would I pay up front without having rode the thing personally.
(That all said the first BMW I bought, I flew Pgh, PA to Ft. Meyers, FL with a helmet jacket and bag of tools. John picked me up at the airport, we went to his place I tested the bike, we made the deal. He asked me if I would like to spend the night , I told him no that I was chomping at the bit to get on the road. He said fine but would not let me leave before he fed me, said he didn't want me on the road with an empty stomach. I rode that bike 1320 miles home in 2 days without a glitch. Oh yeah, John also told me to keep his plate on there until I got the bike home that way I was covered with his insurance and roadside assistance.)
Rock
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 9:52 pm

I live in Denver and may need to find an excuse for a ride Friday or Saturday - best way to get in touch with me is a PM before 10pm Mounatin Time tonight or by e-mail [email protected]

You don't stop riding because you get old....
You get old because you stop riding!
Skip
02 Black - "The Groove"
04 FLHRTP - "The Work Bike"
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwillie
I'm in the Chicago area and am very interested in a K1200 in Colorado Springs CO. Picking it up and getting it home won't be a problem, but buying something this pricey at a distance has me a little (just a little) uneasy as I've always bought local in the past. There's something to be said about the comfort factor of seeing it yourself, with your own eyes. Any chance someone in the area feels like driving by the owners house and taking a look at it? I don't mean a real detailed time consuming thing, just a quick look over. The owner says he has had all service work done there at the dealer, and has records to show for it. I certainly don't mean to ask anyone to go way out of their way, or spend a lot of time for me............might be an excuse for a quick ride after work(?).
I'm in Colorado Springs. Send me an email or PM. Be glad to take a look for you.

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in