US-180 Deming NM to Holbrook AZ - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:35 am Thread Starter

Question US-180 Deming NM to Holbrook AZ

I'm planning a ride in April and was looking at cutting up US-180 to get from I-10 to I-40. The map software seems to show that's it's pretty twisty. Can any local New Mexicans or Arizonans comment on taking this route? In particular,

(1) what sort of speed can I expect to average?
(2) how scenic?
(3) road conditions, construction, dangerous spots?

Thanks in advance

*posted on NM and AZ lists

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:39 am

Take it, you're gonna love it. No dangerous spots that I can remember and very scenic. Speed? That's a subjective call, but you can make good time.

Bill Edwards
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 4:33 pm

Dave,

In the summer we ran it at 15-20 above the posted limits and pegs were scraping...

Good time, great scenery. The trees shade the road pretty well so the roads stayed wet for a bit after the rain stops. We got hit with flash flooding at the north end, which was interesting, but we were able to ride it out in 4+ inches.

Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 9:17 pm

I used to love 666, but they renamed it. Anybody remember what they call it now?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:12 pm

The part between Morenci and Springerville is called 191. I posted about it in the Southwest forum version of this. And in the thread about New Mexico. I guess I really like that highway.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
— Charles Bukowski
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 8:35 pm Thread Starter

thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlizard
The part between Morenci and Springerville is called 191. I posted about it in the Southwest forum version of this. And in the thread about New Mexico. I guess I really like that highway.

Dale White
Hey, thanks guys. Like I posted in the SW forum, looks like 180 is the route to take. I gots two days to get from San Antonio to San Jose, which is only 1700+ miles, but I'm trying to get to SJ in time to have dinner with Dave Taylor and possibly some other NORCAL dudes, then ride PCH the next day for Cambria get-together end of April. Wife joins me in San Jose - we also visit L.A. to see the grandson and Phoenix to see son and wife's sister. Another multi-tasking road trip...

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 1:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemoore
Hey, thanks guys. Like I posted in the SW forum, looks like 180 is the route to take. I gots two days to get from San Antonio to San Jose, which is only 1700+ miles, but I'm trying to get to SJ in time to have dinner with Dave Taylor and possibly some other NORCAL dudes, then ride PCH the next day for Cambria get-together end of April. Wife joins me in San Jose - we also visit L.A. to see the grandson and Phoenix to see son and wife's sister. Another multi-tasking road trip...
Dave keep some of us Phoenixites in yer loop. Maybe we could hook-up for a coffee or something.

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #8 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 7:38 pm Thread Starter

Next Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerider
Dave keep some of us Phoenixites in yer loop. Maybe we could hook-up for a coffee or something.
Hey Harry - the trip came off fine (end of April into May), 4700 mile on the machine. We stopped in Phoenix on the way back but were tied up visiting oldest son. Next time!

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in