New Mexico - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 9:28 am Thread Starter

Talking New Mexico

I am planning a trip for begining the 3rd week of April. I will be going from the Detroit area to New Mexico on my 05 LT. I am mostly planning on roads in NM that on the AAA map are listed as "Senic". I would much appreciate input from those that either live there or are familiar with the state as to what roads might be consider great motoecycle roads. I have a Garmen SPIII and am in the process of planning routes to be downloaded to the SPIII.I am also hoping for some input on some restuarnts and some must see sights to take in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:25 am

Lots of nice scenery and some good roads in northern NM. Santa Fe is nice, was one of the CCR locations.

Take a ride to Jerome, AZ! That little town is a real kick to ride to. It sits literally on the side of a mountain, with buildings hanging out over the side. Just be careful of the tight "U" turn in the road, where you will be in sight of a lot of parked cruiser riders on the weekends.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:30 pm

If you are going thu the OK panhandle, look up Beaver OK. You might catch their annual cow chip throwing contest.
Ride thru Cimeron City(?) around the lake, into Angle Fire NM was beautiful.
Taos.

Bob

post #4 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:41 pm

These websites are nice resources:

http://www.byways.org/

http://www.bywaysonline.org/byways/

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/byway/byway.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Last edited by jwd98056; Feb 22nd, 2006 at 12:50 pm.
post #5 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 2:59 pm

Cool

If you're coming across southern CO (Walsenburg) take Hwy 160 across LaVita Pass into the San Luis Valley. Choices there are to go south from Ft. Garland through San Luis (oldest town in CO and site of a beautiful old Spanish Mission), Questa and on to Taos, Santa Fe, etc. - OR - stay on Hwy 160 into the San Luis Valley (Alamosa) and continue over Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs, then take Hwy 84 south to Chama where you can cut back east on two options (stay on 84 to Espanola or take 64 to Tres Piedres and on to Taos) to the Taos/Santa Fe area. The two options can also serve as a loop with mucho great scenery, twisties, long views, nice small towns with lodging and great local food.
post #6 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 3:08 pm

Bandalere National Monument, is a neat place to visit.

Its just West of Los Alamos, some nice curvy mountain roads.

It is some old Indian Cliff dwellings that you can climb up to.
Lots of hiking in the area too.

Makes for a good 1-2 hour break after riding the mountain roads.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #7 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 4:41 pm

If your up north don't pass up Red River, Its a really nice area and has some good camping also.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 6:53 pm

Battleb, Are you going to a specific area of NM for a visit? NM is about 400 miles north to south and close to 300 across. Lots of roads. I spent 20 years there and rode most of them on MC, bicycle or auto. Let me know, and watch out, you might get hooked on the green chile.

Rick
post #9 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 7:10 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemCyclist
Battleb, Are you going to a specific area of NM for a visit? NM is about 400 miles north to south and close to 300 across. Lots of roads. I spent 20 years there and rode most of them on MC, bicycle or auto. Let me know, and watch out, you might get hooked on the green chile.

Rick
Hi, my name is Ron, I am addicted to green chile.

Epecially FRESH whole green chile from Hatch NM grilled to remove the skin. I prefer them stuffed with baby shrimp, onions, cilantro and gorgonzola (sp?) cheese, battered and then deep fried for a minute in Canola oil. This is known as a Releno. Best accompanied by mutltiple bottles of Mexican beer like Modelo Negro, served VERY cold with a large slice of fresh lime to kill the heat of the chiles. Tequila is optional, but do NOT count on riding the next day.

Are there any support groups out there?

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 8:25 pm

Ron
Great choice to visit New Mexico. We have a great web site that can answer any of your questions. See below.
WWW.nmbmwmc.org
T&D

Welcome to the Land of Enchantment BMW Riders. New Mexico has some of the most beautiful roads and scenery in the country, it is truly the Land of Enchantment. Our club takes full advantage of this beauty with regularly scheduled rides, and many other events designed for you, your BMW motorcycle and your friends. We hope you enjoy your online visit with us, and that our site tells you what you'd like to know about an outstanding BMW motorcycle club.

We have about 150 members, mostly in New Mexico, with others scattered throughout the Southwest and other states. In addition to the usual club stuff (rides, parties, tech sessions, pins, patches, etc), we have a great monthly newsletter, and plan regular club campouts throughout New Mexico, where great pavement and dual sport riding can be enjoyed. The Bavarian Mountain Weekend, our annual rally, has become one of the most popular BMW motorcycle events in the Southwest. LOE BMW R has hosted this September event for almost two decades at the Sipapu Ski Area in the heart of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.

After you learn a little about us here, please feel free to contact us with your questions. We think you will enjoy your association with the Land of Enchantment BMW Riders.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more information e-mail us at [email protected]

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

post #11 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 8:46 pm

If you are in western New Mexico you might want to check out Highway 191 across the border in Arizona. The ride from Springerville to Clifton, Morenci is just wonderful motorcycling. Dramatic elevation changes, many hairpins, little traffic and little law enforcement. Google Coronado Trail for pics and info.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
— Charles Bukowski
post #12 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 8:47 pm

new mexico

Good choice to visit NM.

NW Section - Farmington, 4 corners, SW Colorado, Mesa Verde National Park. Great Scenary, but tricky that time of year. High Winds and rapidly changing weather. NE towards Co boarder could be the same. Visit in Sante Fe and Abq area would have warmer temps and more seasonal weather. Lots of good day rides from Albuq (Bandelier National monument, Los Alamos, Jemez Springs etc.) South central has many attractions. White Sands National Monument is a MUST. And then stay in Las Cruces and go to Silver City and Reserve NM area in the southwest area. Jim

05' Ocean Blue
Albuquerque, NM
post #13 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 8:54 pm

good choice again

Lots of good green chile cheezeburgers places to eat. San Antonio, NM has two of the best in the nation. put that on your GPS unit. You'l need it to find it, not far off the beaten path and also on a scenic route to the volcanic lava flows called malpais. another must in new mexico.

05' Ocean Blue
Albuquerque, NM
post #14 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Hi, my name is Ron, I am addicted to green chile.

Epecially FRESH whole green chile from Hatch NM grilled to remove the skin. I prefer them stuffed with baby shrimp, onions, cilantro and gorgonzola (sp?) cheese, battered and then deep fried for a minute in Canola oil. This is known as a Releno. Best accompanied by mutltiple bottles of Mexican beer like Modelo Negro, served VERY cold with a large slice of fresh lime to kill the heat of the chiles. Tequila is optional, but do NOT count on riding the next day.

Are there any support groups out there?
Head Green Chile Pepper dood around these parts is our own, in the 'hood, Dave Moore (davemoore). He's a confirmed addict and proud of it. I had lunch one day over at his casa - he served some NM green chile concoction and to this day, it hurts just to type this from memory!!! Butt, it wuz goooood!!

Check out the name of his scoot, Ron - that'll tell ya how beeg a fanatic he is!!
post #15 of 29 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 1:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Head Green Chile Pepper dood around these parts is our own, in the 'hood, Dave Moore (davemoore). He's a confirmed addict and proud of it. I had lunch one day over at his casa - he served some NM green chile concoction and to this day, it hurts just to type this from memory!!! Butt, it wuz goooood!!

Check out the name of his scoot, Ron - that'll tell ya how beeg a fanatic he is!!
DAyem, that's a good enough excuse for a leetle 2K roundtripper to visit with y'all! I need therapy several times a year at a minimum. (that's a green chile eatin' alien..)

...and I'll stop by Hatch on the way and bring the good stuff wiff me, we'll just need to wait until the fall harvest for the fresh 'uns...

Now, if I can only get Chef Vince from Oregon to kick in some of those light, buttery, flakey Canolis for dessert...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #16 of 29 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 9:25 pm

[QUOTE=Tomakazie]Ron
Great choice to visit New Mexico. We have a great web site that can answer any of your questions. See below.
WWW.nmbmwmc.org
T&D

Thanks for the website, my wife and I are also heading for New Mexico in early to mid September from Vancouver, British Columbia. We are traveling thru Washington, Oregon (maybe a bit of Idaho) & Utah. Question about your website, is it current? Because the date at the top says 2005. We just might make your Bavarian Moutain Weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, Bill
post #17 of 29 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:23 am

Drive to SunSpot

One of my best was from Cloudcroft to Sunspot....
post #18 of 29 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 9:59 am Thread Starter

New Mexico

I want to thank all of you great people for your input. I will be making routes on the computer for the Street Pilot based on the many suggestions. I dont know if i want to dare the chilly green cheeseburgers though..i dunno if i want to be tied to "dump" spots on the trip.
Thanks again,

Bill Battle
05 grey(the fastest color)
post #19 of 29 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:53 am

If you come west, then drop down through Colorado, you might study this page:
http://www.coloradobeemers.com/md107...page&pageid=18

Independence and Trail Ridge Road will not be open, but most others will be in good shape. Have a great ride. NM has loads of great roads.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #20 of 29 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Hello, My name is Brian and I too am a Hatch NM Green chili addict. But I must confess a terrible sin I have commited. I have run out of the Big Jim fresh roasted green chili's and I ordered some " CANNED" chili yesterday off of the internet. I'm SO SORRY.......

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #21 of 29 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Thumbs up RE: NM rides

Ron, Living in SW New Mexico I am somewhat partial to the highways around here. Hwy 180 heading NW out of Silver City has a variety of great scenery. Hwy 152 west from I-25 across the Black Range is a major twisty road with spectacular scenery. Hwy 15 north from Silver City to the Gila Cliff Dwellings is also a great ride. There are so many wonderful areas to see that it is hard to single others out. if you are over farther east in the Ruidoso area, there are really nice rides out of Ruidoso. Welcome to NM!
post #22 of 29 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 2:58 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrooten
Ron, Living in SW New Mexico I am somewhat partial to the highways around here. Hwy 180 heading NW out of Silver City has a variety of great scenery. Hwy 152 west from I-25 across the Black Range is a major twisty road with spectacular scenery. Hwy 15 north from Silver City to the Gila Cliff Dwellings is also a great ride. There are so many wonderful areas to see that it is hard to single others out. if you are over farther east in the Ruidoso area, there are really nice rides out of Ruidoso. Welcome to NM!
We're doing part of that route this summer. We're taking NM 152 from I-25 to Silver City and then heading over to US 191 in Clifton, AZ.

Here's a Google Earth picture of NM152

And US191
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	route6.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	2588   Click image for larger version

Name:	route2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	2589  

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #23 of 29 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 3:09 pm

El Jeffe, If you are riding out of Silver City, might want to try 180 north to 78, then take 78 through Mule Creek to 191. Great scenery!
post #24 of 29 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 3:23 pm
Bouncer

Yep. That's the way we are going. Thanks!

Here's our entire planned route:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	route1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	2590  

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #25 of 29 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Should be a great trip! Drop me an e-mail when you are going to be in Silver City and I'll buy the coffee!
Steve
post #26 of 29 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:10 pm

Exclamation

You'd be insane to skip Northern New Mexico. Amazing place. I've been here in Santa Fe for the last 3 months and I'm here through the summer. The trees started blooming in the last week and spring is in the air. I'm going back up to the enchanted circle this weekend (last time it was snowing, so I had a car around me). Fantastic. Beautiful place with no shortage of scenic spots.

Although.... I do have to say that I haven't yet been quite "climatized" to the chili. Red OR green. They all seem to burn very strong. Twice. I think you know what I'm talking about.... I went to the Coyote Cafe (in Santa Fe) the other night and thought I would play it safe by ordering a salad. My previous visit included a chili infused steak that nearly killed me. I think it's been a while since I was delivered "Emergency milk" for the burn. Anyway, two quick bites of my simple house salad yielded burnt lips and serious pain. More milk was delievered, poste haste. Careful...
post #27 of 29 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 8:37 pm

I just found this thread and want to say thank you for all the suggested routes, we did some awesome roads today, coming out of Santa Fe we went north and west on 64, got up over 10,000 ft saw snow, no big deal to you guy's but it is for a Florida boy.
We're in a motel in Chama, done over 3000 miles since we left home and still haven't seen another LT

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #28 of 29 Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
We're doing part of that route this summer. We're taking NM 152 from I-25 to Silver City and then heading over to US 191 in Clifton, AZ.

Here's a Google Earth picture of NM152

And US191
When down in The Silver City area, Check out the cat walk in Glenwood. Have a green chilie burger in the Bluebell cafe in Glenwood.

http://www2.srs.fs.fed.us/r3/gila/re...ns.asp?attid=1

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #29 of 29 Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:59 am

http://www2.srs.fs.fed.us/r3/gila/re...s.asp?attid=10

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in