Denver Area - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 5th, 2010, 7:00 am Thread Starter
cwo

Denver Area

Howdy

I'm visiting my daughter in Parker, Colorado today, and will be staying a few days. Anybody know of some good routes for riding in this area??

Thanks,

Chris Ogle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 5th, 2010, 8:59 am

Re: Denver Area

It is a free weekend for the National Parks if you want to ride across Trail Ridge Road. I know there is still a lot snow on the sides of the road but they have cleared the road itself. There will however be lots of car traffic. Another trip, with less "exposure" (as the climbers say) would be to take the Peak to Peak highway from Golden, through Blackhawk and Nederland, coming back down in Lyons. If you want real altitude (14,130 ft) the road up Mt Evans is now open as well. If you don't like edges this is not the road for you.
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 6th, 2010, 10:21 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc
It is a free weekend for the National Parks if you want to ride across Trail Ridge Road. I know there is still a lot snow on the sides of the road but they have cleared the road itself. There will however be lots of car traffic. Another trip, with less "exposure" (as the climbers say) would be to take the Peak to Peak highway from Golden, through Blackhawk and Nederland, coming back down in Lyons. If you want real altitude (14,130 ft) the road up Mt Evans is now open as well. If you don't like edges this is not the road for you.
An excellent suggestion, however . . . .there is construction over Trail Ridge - down to one lane, long waits, and gravel in some places. Still possible on the LT but be careful.

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 6th, 2010, 10:32 am

x2 for Peak to Peak road.........I'd suggest going on down into Estes Park for a quick look then take 34 back down to Lyons..........I lived in that area a good part of my life and rode a lot of those roads on an old 450 Dezmo Ducati.............should be able to find some good eats along the route as well............$ .02
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 6th, 2010, 12:33 pm

+1 on the Peak to Peak. Keep in mind that there will be speed tax collectors on the route.
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 7th, 2010, 9:35 am

Garage
Smile Denver Area Rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo
Howdy

I'm visiting my daughter in Parker, Colorado today, and will be staying a few days. Anybody know of some good routes for riding in this area??

Thanks,

Chris Ogle
Chris,

Another good ride not to far from you is US 285 to CO 126 to CO 67 into Woodland Park. Or in your case the reverse from Woodland Park.

Have a full tank of fuel and onboard liquids as there is NO place for either, but it is an awesome ride.

good luck

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 7th, 2010, 5:19 pm Thread Starter
cwo

Howdy

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be here another couple days, and will be riding some of the suggested routes. I just got off the bike because of the heat (and sun/wind burn), but sure beats eastern KS in the humidity department.

thanks again,

Chris Ogle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in