Scenic routes suggestions Dubois,WY area - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 1st, 2010, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Scenic routes suggestions Dubois,WY area

Will be staying in Dubois on vacation and will have my bike with me. Would like suggestions for some scenic day rides. Previously did the Jackson,Yellowstone, and Beartooth areas. I'm thinking something north, south or east of Dubois this trip.

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 1st, 2010, 3:48 pm

Re: Scenic routes suggestions Dubois,WY area

Arby60;
Dubois being your base, you've already came through the Arapahoe and Crow reservations...........If you were on a GS, I'd suggest a trip over Union Pass..........If not........well, take Tohgety Pass,(not sure on the spelling) over to Moran Junction, pretty easy to find Yellowstone from there..........East gate out through Wapiti, to Cody.....on to Powell if you like........Can do loops up through Cooke City.....Red Lodge is a nice side trip....back into the park and over to Gardner, Mt.................Down to West Yellowstone..........To be honest about it; once you get to Dubois, the sky is the limit.......pull up to an intersection and flip a coin; it's all good..........I may be a little hooked up but feel free to P.M. me ......if I can get loose, the S.O. and I would be happy to guide you on the grand tour...........it's all good.............and you can get a darn good official state map at any border crossing weigh station..................Phone # is 307-276-3957.......Chances are if I'm not out saving the environment from invasive species, I'm on the LT looking for more..............Welcome to the 'Hinter lands' where only the wise survive............ .
post #3 of 4 Old May 2nd, 2010, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Thanks very much. I may give you a call and set up a ride. I will have my GS; however I don't normally do rough, off-road riding. Is the Union Pass road paved? How far is it over the pass? I'm interested in seeing that area. I'm also thinking about a loop to Riverton-Thermopolis-Meteetsie-Cody; then 14 to 191 down to Moran and back to Dubois. Does that sound like a good ride? You're right, it's all so beautiful out there. Last year we went through Dubois on the way to Jackson. Rode the Jackson area, Yellowstone, Cody, Beartooth to Red Lodge, across Montana, down to Buffalo, Devil's Tower and on to CCR at Rapid City. Stayed someplace different every night for a month. We decided that we loved Dubois and this year we are staying there as our base and taking some day trips. Any information you have to offer is much appreciated.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black

post #4 of 4 Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:45 am

Ray;

The road over Union is not paved but is well traveled. It starts just out of Dubois about 5 miles and runs over Bridger-Teton National Forest.........once down to the other side, it crosses the Green River about 15 miles from the head waters, where the pavement starts and follows it down to just before hiway 191,
about 6 miles out of Pinedale which would be on your route back to Jackson's Hole and Moran Junction. It's not all that long a ride and taking your time on a GS would probably be a good picnic sort of option.........enough moisture this spring that I imagine the wild flowers ought to be colorful...........Meteetse, Cody, Powell...........you'r familiar with that country but all the routes are good ..................You can Ping Bridger-Teton National Forest for more information on line...............Good luck and looking forward to the chance to run into another Beemer Dude...........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in