Lodging Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 12th, 2006, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Lodging Question

I am planing a road trip to northern Arizona and southern Utah, in June, and will be there June 2nd through June 7th. I will be leaving from Flagstaff, on June 2nd, going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon; Zion National Park; Cedar City, UT; Bryce Canyon; Hanksville, UT; Moab, UT; Arches National Park, Canyonlands, Blanding, UT; Monument Valley, Four Corners; Cortez, CO; Mesa Verde National Park, Durango, CO and then back home to Columubus, GA.

How difficult will it be to find lodging without reservations during this time period? I'm not sure exactly where I'll be every night so cannot make reservations more than a day or so in advance. Will this be a problem for me? It also looks like there is little lodging in the Monument Valley or Four Corners Area, until I get to Cortez. I think Kayenta, AZ has one motel. Also, how difficult is it to find fuel in these areas?

Any advice, recommendatons, etc., will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 21st, 2006, 12:14 am

You might want to look into KOA campgrounds. Some have cabins.
http://www.koa.com/

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #3 of 10 Old May 21st, 2006, 10:33 am

You can almost be guaranteed of having problems at some of the locations. But, there are usually smaller towns within a few miles that you might have a better chance at. I always travel without reservations, and sometimes I end up driving an extra 40 or 50 miles to find a place. Remember where you will be. Towns are not always close together, so it can be a hike between motels. Good luck!

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT

post #4 of 10 Old May 21st, 2006, 10:24 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Don and Steve.

I'm going to try to make reservations one day in advance and see if I can get buy. It's just hard to know where we'll be on any given day, depending on how many side trips we take.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #5 of 10 Old May 21st, 2006, 11:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC

It also looks like there is little lodging in the Monument Valley or Four Corners Area, until I get to Cortez. I think Kayenta, AZ has one motel. Also, how difficult is it to find fuel in these areas?

Any advice, recommendatons, etc., will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Four Corners and Monument valley are very poor in lodging. I would try to sleep in Mesa Verde, then go to 4 corners, Monument valley and find a place to sleep again near Moab.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #6 of 10 Old May 21st, 2006, 11:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Elton. We'll be coming down from Moab to Monument Valley/Four Corners, then to Mesa Verde. We should be able to make Cortez or Mesa Verde by early evening.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #7 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2006, 5:14 am

There's not a lot of options in Bryce either. I would make a reservation at ruby's best western, Its a nice place with a lot of character. And the price is not that bad. They have a pool and hot tub. If you are wanting some exercise you will love the hikes in Bryce. You have to do wall street as a minimum.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:31 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the information, Bryan. We will be covering about 5,550 miles in 10 days, so will not have much time for hiking. Just riding through the beautiful country will have to do. I'll keep Ruby's Best Western in my palm pilot.

Thanks again,

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #9 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:41 am

Going down to North Rim on Hwy 63 about 10 miles south of Jacobs Lake there is a nice lodge and cabins. I can't remember the name but will ask the DH when she awakens. Lot's of places in Fredonia and Kanab. Kanab is larger and your best bet.There are many Mom and Pop motels along Hwy 89. Some in the little towns some in the middle of nowhere. Real nice cabins about 3 miles from Zion entrance on Hwy 9.

There are a lot more options around Bryce than Rubys. Just after you turn onto Hwy 12 there are a couple of places. Then about 3 miles before you get to the turn for Bryce Canyon There is a nice motel with the best restaurant in the area. Everyone who works in the area frequents this restaurant. There are a couple of places in Tropic and on down to Escalante numerous small places. Escalante is also your largest town in the area so get supplies.

Boulder on Hwy 12 has a great little place on the right. Just past the turn off for the Burr Trail. They also have nice restaurant. Torrey is the next place with a lot of accommodations. Nice town with the second best restaurant in Utah. Some great Chef likes to spend summers there. Cafe Diablo, 599 West Main (Hwy 24). This like the scenery is a must. http://www.cafediablo.net/

After Capitol Reef things become fuzzy since it's been over 2 years that our travels took us that way.

Have fun and take warm clothes. It will still be in the low 30s in the morning.
post #10 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:53 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information, Rick. I printed your post and will take it with me. I definitely stop at Cafe Diablo.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in