Going to The Sun Road, Glacier NP - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old May 27th, 2009, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Going to The Sun Road, Glacier NP

June 19 is the likely date for the 2009 opening of the Going to The Sun Road through Glacier NP.

I have seen a few riders this spring who have taken US 2 around the south end of the park, and thought that this message may help a few of you plan.

Winter would not let go this year, and the plowing crew is nearing the summit, but still have a lot of work to do.

See you soon !

Gary
Kalispell, MT
1999 Champagne LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old May 27th, 2009, 10:57 pm
Just ridin'

Re: Going to The Sun Road, Glacier NP

We'll be going through there on the 29th of June - on the way home from Jasper.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 Old May 28th, 2009, 8:47 am

I plan on being in that area during the first week of June, wow, that's next week! What should I count on weather wise? I'm still trying to decide what coat to take, the Olympia Bushwhacker and lining or the Kilimanjaro. Here in Texas, my temp. readout on the bike, while stopped at a red light, said 104. What should I expect in Montana?

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA

post #4 of 18 Old May 28th, 2009, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
We'll be going through there on the 29th of June - on the way home from Jasper.
I hope it is open for you. It was still closed last year around that date when I tried to ride it.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #5 of 18 Old May 28th, 2009, 11:31 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
I hope it is open for you. It was still closed last year around that date when I tried to ride it.
You never know. That is the time of year I did it in 2007, but the road was closed just above the Weeping Wall for the whole summer due to earlier mudslides. That year I rode down to the closure from St Mary and up to the closure from Kalispell.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

Last edited by Randy; May 28th, 2009 at 11:37 am.
post #6 of 18 Old May 28th, 2009, 11:36 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddallison
I plan on being in that area during the first week of June, wow, that's next week! What should I count on weather wise? I'm still trying to decide what coat to take, the Olympia Bushwhacker and lining or the Kilimanjaro. Here in Texas, my temp. readout on the bike, while stopped at a red light, said 104. What should I expect in Montana?
You can expect most anything, but the averages are pretty good.

I would take the Kilmanjaro and some layers just in case. The Kilmanjaro vents well enough to deal with warm days, but can be closed when cool or wet.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #7 of 18 Old May 28th, 2009, 11:47 am

Ah the View along the way .... we are going back late August / early September.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotts vacation 050.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	23161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotts vacation 058.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	23162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotts vacation 072.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	23163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotts vacation 078.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	23164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotts vacation 061.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	23165  

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #8 of 18 Old May 28th, 2009, 12:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
You can expect most anything, but the averages are pretty good.

I would take the Kilmanjaro and some layers just in case. The Kilmanjaro vents well enough to deal with warm days, but can be closed when cool or wet.

Thanks for the info. I'll take your experience. Any exceptionally good campgrounds where I should throw out my tent in Montana or Wyoming?

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
post #9 of 18 Old May 28th, 2009, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Going to The Sun Road, Glacier NP

I can promise you that it will not open until June 19, and right now the weather is great! Mid 70 to low 80 in the day, 40's at night.

The reason I can tell you for sure the date is that I work in the park and have a large say in when it opens...No bribes won't help!

Say hello when you are there. I am the Ranger driving the only big Ford Excursion (white vehicle, green stripes, NPOS arrowhead) and of course lightbar!

Hope to seem any of you this summer. I enjoyed meeting some at last years CCR.

Gary
Kalispell, MT
1999 Champagne LT
post #10 of 18 Old May 28th, 2009, 11:27 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosBMR
I can promise you that it will not open until June 19, and right now the weather is great! Mid 70 to low 80 in the day, 40's at night.

The reason I can tell you for sure the date is that I work in the park and have a large say in when it opens...No bribes won't help!

Say hello when you are there. I am the Ranger driving the only big Ford Excursion (white vehicle, green stripes, NPOS arrowhead) and of course lightbar!

Hope to seem any of you this summer. I enjoyed meeting some at last years CCR.
Be sure and stop us if you see us on (or about) Monday, June 29 - we'll be coming in from the St Mary end. I'll be on the GT and Michelle's bike is hard to miss

If we don't see you there, maybe in Rapid City.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #11 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

The plows and bulldozers just made it to Logan Pass in that last few days.

That means at least two more weeks to get the Going to The Sun Road open all the way.

A storm is blowing in now, and predictions are for 3-5" of new snow all the way to the valley floor, which means a lot more in the high country.

I'll try to keep you updated as we get closer to opening the full length of the road.

Gary

Gary
Kalispell, MT
1999 Champagne LT
post #12 of 18 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Friday June 19 we will move the gate up to Big Bend, on the west side of the Going to the Sun Road, which is just a few miles shy of Logan Pass. East side access will remain at Jackson Glacier Overlook until the road opens all the way across.

There will be construction again, but little if any dirt road,all paved, and delays of no more than 30 minutes.

We will get is open all the way across by the 26th at the latest, and maybe before. Once again, I'll try to keep all the BMR readers updated as soon as I can.

Gary
Kalispell, MT
1999 Champagne LT
post #13 of 18 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 11:13 pm

I will be riding this road around July 27 on my X country trip (VT to Portland OR the long way).

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #14 of 18 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 5:36 am

Great! We leave the 26th for Glacier park!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #15 of 18 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

I wsa up there today and need to provide a little update. There may be up to a half mile that is not yet paved, but it will be well compacted so still should not be a problem.

Barring an unexpected weather event we will have it open all the way across by the 26th, maybe even a tad earlier!

See you in Glacier!

Gary
Kalispell, MT
1999 Champagne LT
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2009, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Going to The Sun Road, Glacier NP

Yeah...The Going to The Sun Road is now open all the way across for public access!

There will still be delays of us to 30 minutes, but it is worth it.

Come visit and take one of the most scenic rides in the lower 48! See you at Logan Pass!

Gary
Kalispell, MT
1999 Champagne LT
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2009, 5:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Will be in this area enroute to this years CCR. I need to confirm US 2 is the same as Going to Sun Highway?. After riding through NW Canada we will be taking 93 south to Kalespell and spending a night there before heading east through Glacier NP. Any must sees in the area?

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #18 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2009, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

Nope US 2 goes along the southern boundary of Glacier, and the Going to The Sun Road goes right through the middle of the park. It is a must do....the scenery is spectacular, and you never know what wildlife you may see. If you have time upon exiting the park at St Mary, take highway 49 (locally known as Looking Glass) down to East Glacier. A curve cowboy delight ! Many twisties along the way.

Gary
Kalispell, MT
1999 Champagne LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in