Living near Monument CO - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Living near Monument CO

I may be able to make a job location switch - from just west of Philly, PA to the area near Monument, CO. If then move me out, it's a one time deal - they will not move me back if I don't like it.

I have visited CO before but it's been in summer and not that often over the past few decades. I know it's pretty out in Monument (all over CO for that matter!) and that the weather changes very quickly.

I am leaning to be looking for a home that was "out in the sticks" so that the skies at night would be as clear and dark as possible (I like astronomy and would set up an observatory). I would also be bringing out my two bikes too and would want to commute on them whenever possible.

Some questions that pop up in my head include:

cold? - I looked at the Nation Weather Service web site and it says that it does not get very hot (little more than 80's) and that it gets 'cold' out there (around freezing). I grew up in the upper Midwest but my wife did not and neither of us are snow bunnies.

* snow drifts? tornado's? winds? - comments from someone who just moved East from there. Will I have my bike(s) parked in winter due to ice and/or snow drifts? Does it tend to be very windy?

* Area's where there is the most bang for buck when it comes to housing with some land, away from the lights, yet an "easy" commute to Monument. I see that homes 30 to 50 miles east of Monument with a bit of land. Is domestic water a (real) problem? (I lived on a farm with a good well and that worked just fine.) Crime? Safe to walk along the side of the road? (That was a question my wife had.)

We both middle aged and we like to be out and about (and travel on two wheels whenever possible.) We know that we can go either to CO Springs or Denver for culture (if needed).

So... anyone care to comment on living out in or around Monument, CO?

Many thanks,
Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW MOA #139052
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Re: Living near Monument CO

Can't comment more than..........I wish someone would move me there, I love Colorado

Choose Wisely!!!!!

Mike

BTW-In that part of Col.(I just looked-curious) you will have a much longer riding season than Pa. -I just was in the Springs area last Oct.....no worries you will love it.My lord, the roads and sights in a days ride!!!!!!

Last edited by shadowofshoe; Jul 29th, 2008 at 4:20 pm.
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 7:41 pm

I think you'll love Colorado! Today's temperature is just over 90 but it is summer (no or very low humidity)! The winters aren't as bad as everyone "thinks" although it does get cold at times, but 32 is still shorts weather! Yes it snows but generally not too much at any one time (though there are exceptions on occasion). It'll usually melt in a day or two... The mountains receive the bulk of the Colorado snow!

It's usually not too windy and I don't worry about tornado's, though they do happen, but generally on the "eastern plains" of the state. In Monument you will get some snow drifting simply because of the location (altitude) but again I don't think it's too bad (or so my many friends living in Monument tell me). When there's enough snow to drift, you won't want to ride then anyway...

Monument is a "safe" town and I would definitely look for a location with land. I don't think the commute would be too bad, although Monument Hill (I-25) can be really bad at times in the winter. Colorado water is great!!!

Hope that helps!

Oh, I live in Colorado Springs, about 12 minutes south of Monument!

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 8:14 pm

I went to college in Denver and lived in Colorado Springs for a few years after graduating in 1978. Liked Denver a lot, but loved Colorado Springs. I'm sure a lot has changed since then, but if I had a chance to have a company move me back there I wouldn't even think twice. Well, maybe I would think twice about the snow since I haven't had to shovel any for almost 30 years, but I'll bet you'll like the weather better there than in PA. Good luck, you'll love it there.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 7:40 am

My Aunt and Uncle live in Monument and love it, and the winters aren't really that bad. I lived in Arizona for about 20 years before moving to Colorado Springs and we got used to the weather changing every ten minutes just fine. The Black Forest is a nice place to live and it is just east of Monument. I agree Monument Hill on I-25 can get a bit dicey in the winter and tornados are usually out in the eastern plains. Move if you get the opportunity

2002 R1150R rip
1996 R1100RT
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 10:47 am Thread Starter

Hey there! Thanks for the feedback! Really helps.

My application and all has been submitted for the position and waiting for the start of the interview process.

We'll see!

Jon

BMW MOA #139052
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:50 am

Monumnent or Philly? Motorcycles involved? No choice. Monument. Riding season is full time April - October with very few days excepted. Over the winter of 2007-2008 there was not a single month when I did not ride at least one day (notwithstanding that most weekends I was skiing and/or on my sled; BTW, there are some great snowmobile trails near Monument in the Palmer Lake area.) I know there are some good rides in PA and I'm not putting that down. One difference if you relocate to Monument is that you will not have to fight several miles of city traffic to get to great roads. For example within a couple of miles of the center of Monument you can get to Pike National Forest and some major twisties going in and out of National Forest on Highway 24 through Buena Vista then catch 82 and go over Independence Pass into Aspen. Total ride of about 150 miles and each mile a visual and motorcylcling delight. And that is just one of hundereds of examples all within day ride distance without ever getting on a major highway.

Within a 30 mile radius of Monument you have both plains and mountains. Take your pick. There are some relatively new housing developments nearby; many of which are on large (over 2 acre) lots. I have a friend that recently looked at (but I think eventually did not buy) a house in Monument that was a couple of years old. Per his description it was on 3 acres, 4 bedroom, 6 bath over 6,000 sq. ft. Price was about $700,000. Lets see you match that in Philly.

Monument Hill on I-25 between Castle Rock (probably as far north as you would want to live if you work in Monument) and Colorado Springs can get pretty icey a few time a year but is generally no problem.

I have a friend whose boys played hockey with my son who came here from Philly and you could not drag them back. I think you'll love it.

Good Luck.
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:17 pm Thread Starter

Well... it looks like I will not be going out there - as part of my job anyway. There is now a job position freeze at the company I work. (sigh!)

However, I will be visiting the area in a few weeks and my uncle lives out there.

So thanks to all that posted about the area. Least I'll visit it.

Jon

BMW MOA #139052

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in