Route suggestions please - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Route suggestions please

Our ride to CCR will take us from the deep south of Vermont around the north side of the Great Lakes, lots of rte 2, and then to the south-west terminus of the Going to The Sun Road in Glacier NP.

Looking for a reasonably north-south route from that point to CCR.
Those who know the mountian roads please suggest a route that will get us some of the best of the Rocky west.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 8:23 pm

Re: Route suggestions please

Hey Charlie:

I live just west of Glacier near Kalispell. I plan on taking US 93 south most of the way, linking into I-15 at Blackfoot Idaho. 93 is nice along either side of Flathead lake, and the ride through Idaho is pretty good too. It is a two or four laner all the way, depending on the size of the town you are going through.

If you want to make time, 93 to Interstate 90, to Interstate 15 is the fastest, but I prefer staying off the Interstate as much as possible.

Other nice routes include taking US 2 back east from West Glacier and turning south on 89, riding along the east front of the Rockies to Choteau (Sho-toe) then 287 south to Interstate 15. Now you could stay on I-15 all the way down to SLC, or stay with 287/12 down to I 90, then decision again! Either stay on 287, or go east to 191 down the Gallatin Canyon on the west side of Yellowstone. Either gets you to 20 outside of West Yellowstone. 20 dumps you ont I-15 a few miles north of Blackfoot, ID where 93 would come into 15.

But of course going through Yellowstone is another option...don't you hate me about now...too many choices, but that is something I love about the Big Sky state, most the drives are pretty great.

I hope this helps some, reply if you have other questions.

Gary

Gary
Kalispell, MT
1999 Champagne LT
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Gary,
Thanks for the suggestiions. I'm sure we'll do plenty of divided highway, but we are trying to find some good secondary roads too.

I wonder what rte 83, to 200, to 141 would be like?

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosBMR
Hey Charlie:

I live just west of Glacier near Kalispell. I plan on taking US 93 south most of the way, linking into I-15 at Blackfoot Idaho. 93 is nice along either side of Flathead lake, and the ride through Idaho is pretty good too. It is a two or four laner all the way, depending on the size of the town you are going through.

If you want to make time, 93 to Interstate 90, to Interstate 15 is the fastest, but I prefer staying off the Interstate as much as possible.

Other nice routes include taking US 2 back east from West Glacier and turning south on 89, riding along the east front of the Rockies to Choteau (Sho-toe) then 287 south to Interstate 15. Now you could stay on I-15 all the way down to SLC, or stay with 287/12 down to I 90, then decision again! Either stay on 287, or go east to 191 down the Gallatin Canyon on the west side of Yellowstone. Either gets you to 20 outside of West Yellowstone. 20 dumps you ont I-15 a few miles north of Blackfoot, ID where 93 would come into 15.

But of course going through Yellowstone is another option...don't you hate me about now...too many choices, but that is something I love about the Big Sky state, most the drives are pretty great.

I hope this helps some, reply if you have other questions.

Gary

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:17 am

Curt:

83, 200, & 141 is locally known as the Swann-Seely Cutoff, and is a great route, but you miss Flathead Lake. If you choose to take the cutoff, watch for the abundant deer all along 83, mostly on the north section between BigFork and Seely Lake.

I just came back that way Friday from a trip to Yellowstone, and the road is in pretty good shape. They were repaving a section that should be done by the time you get there, so smooth sailing for a while. Some pretty views along the way...

I'll be leaving for CCR on Monday or Tuesday, so may see you along the way!

Gary

Gary
Kalispell, MT
1999 Champagne LT
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again, Gary.

And thanks for the reminder about deer.

See you on the road or at CCR.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosBMR
Curt:

83, 200, & 141 is locally known as the Swann-Seely Cutoff, and is a great route, but you miss Flathead Lake. If you choose to take the cutoff, watch for the abundant deer all along 83, mostly on the north section between BigFork and Seely Lake.

I just came back that way Friday from a trip to Yellowstone, and the road is in pretty good shape. They were repaving a section that should be done by the time you get there, so smooth sailing for a while. Some pretty views along the way...

I'll be leaving for CCR on Monday or Tuesday, so may see you along the way!

Gary
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 10:33 pm

Didn't think about it until I re-read your post, but I hope you will be leaving US 2 in Browning and going over the GTSR, it is a do not miss road. US 2 is okay, but the GTSR is spectacular!

GM

Gary
Kalispell, MT
1999 Champagne LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in