Going To The Sun, Glacier NP Update - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 8:28 pm Thread Starter

Smile Going To The Sun, Glacier NP Update

Here is the scoop...but ya' didn't hear it from me!

Barring unforseen circumstances, it will open all the way across July 3. You will still see a lot of snow at the top, the "Big Drift" just east of Logan Pass has been cut most of the way, and towers about 70' above the road.

BE CAREFUL as there will be about 2.5 to 3 miles of a section of construction that will not be paved, but will be compacted gravel.

Gary
Kalispell, MT
1999 Champagne LT

Last edited by MosBMR; Jun 26th, 2008 at 8:32 pm. Reason: Should have been a reply to the post below, not a new thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 8:46 pm

Re: Going To The Sun, Glacier NP Update

MosBMR:

Thanks much, especially for the heads-up on the compacted gravel section.

I'm engaged in re-engaging the SO after my series of stupid drops last year shortly after buying the bike (they're reported elsewhere on this forum); two weeks ago, I did a ride with son and son-in-law in the Texas Hill Country (without her) and after a 4-5 mile stretch of the same composition, I'm more than a little uncomfortable--by myself (son and son-in-law were equally discomfited).
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 11:27 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: Going To The Sun, Glacier NP Update

I rode the gravel section today, two up with my wife (not the most confident rider) and it was fine. Well compacted, and there is a water truck running to keep the dust down.

If I can ride it with her on the back without problems, most everyone else can too! It is worth the ride as it is one of the best rides in the country.

It will be even better after July 3 when we can go all the way across Logan Pass. Link that with the ride over Looking Glass (Highway 49 between East Glacier and St Mary (Kiowa Junction) and you get almost as much fun as a "Curve Cowboy" can have!

Gary
Kalispell, MT
1999 Champagne LT

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 5:05 pm

Based on what you've reported, the group is going to do an east-to-west ride.

To assuage my SO's concerns, I'm wondering if I can offer her the option to dismount at the shuttle stop before the three-mile stretch and ride the shuttle to the next shuttle stop, where we'll wait for her at the next shuttle stop.

Does that sound feasible?

Another question: on another website for bicycle riders, it was reported that the route was closed from 10am-4 pm. Am I correct in assuming that that applied to bicyclists?
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 5:56 pm

And another question, out of curiosity--and self-interest:

Given the rise in gas prices, have you seen any effect on the volume of traffic in the park?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in