Bear Tooth Pass .... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Bear Tooth Pass ....

This may be a stupid question, but ....

Generally speaking, would Bear Tooth Pass and Chief Joseph HiWay be open in late September (3rd or 4th week)?

Or should I plan on heading for the Hill Country?

Just curious, I may get a few days off and want to stretch my legs so-to-speak, and see someplace I have never seen before...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 9:47 pm

Shawn,

The pass is usually open thru Labor Day. But if there is an early snow storm you may have to carry a shovel.

Good Luck,

Bruce
post #3 of 17 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks.... I figured it was too late... Maybe next year...

post #4 of 17 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 5:29 pm

I was there last June 25th. On top of the pass (approximately 11k ft), there was snow on the sides of the road, it was about 40 degrees at 11:00 am with 15 mile per hour winds. For my life to be complete, I MUST go back, absolutely stunning ride. BTW, if you go, try lodging at Soda Butte lodge in Red Lodge. Nice folks and good eats just down the street. When we rode into town about 7PM there was an Elk standing next to the Exxon. Kinda like their mascot.

Brian
02 LTC silver
Charlotte, NC
post #5 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2009, 7:59 pm

Re: Bear Tooth Pass ....

Concur! We shot the Gap in 2007 on the long way from Winnipeg and we are doing it again this year (Post: 5000 miles to Sturgis). We rested in Red Lodge then rode the Gap, Yellowstone, and stopped at Cody (Bubba's on the Southwest side of town). 60 days to go....- We are staying out of the Park this year due to the tourist traffic we encountered. We will ride the Bear Tooth Gap both ways. We did stop at Grizzly Flats at the top of the Gap for a hot cup of coffee in July; a leather jacket is a must.
post #6 of 17 Old May 25th, 2009, 12:00 am

July of 07 .... stunning ride
#1 road sign just outside yellowstone
#2 pic Up on top
#3 just over the top
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotts vacation 115.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	23120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotts vacation 117.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	23121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotts vacation 118.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	23122  

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #7 of 17 Old May 25th, 2009, 8:42 am

We did Bear Tooth Pass several years ago in a 32' motor home and I longed for the bike the entire way. Crossing the pass in the motor home though would have been interesting in the K1200LT! It was a hairy experience in the motor home. We did the trip in the middle of summer and the scenery was incredible.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 17 Old May 25th, 2009, 10:02 am
Gold Supporter

Gulfxray,

I think you would be S.O.L. that late in the season, so you might as well come see what the Three Sisters can offer. Still pretty warm around here then. However, if you do get the chance to take Bear Tooth Pass some day DO IT!!! The scenery is incredible and the road is a challenge. Snow pretty much year round up there or at least the times I have gone over it. One word of caution though; WATCH YOUR SPEED. I found the last couple of trips that the road is heavily patrolled and enforcement in a National Park gets REAL expensive.

B1SR was 150% correct about Red Lodge. Fantastic place to say and biker friendly little town. You will get the best nights sleep you ever had.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #9 of 17 Old May 25th, 2009, 10:21 am

One of my favorite rides. Be sure to include the Chief Joseph highway to Cody if you have time. Some more photos here; http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2281/photos.html

Enjoy,

Bruce
post #10 of 17 Old May 25th, 2009, 11:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

I road Bear Tooth last year in mid-June, knowing it would probably be a crap shoot on the weather. We knew we were in trouble stopping in Red Lodge for breakfast and it was cold and raining. Decided to do it anyway. It was 25 degrees and a snow storm (fortunately the roads were dry), Gerbings turned up on high. I can now say I've ridden Bear Tooth, but can't wait to go back and ride it when I can actually SEE something!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #11 of 17 Old May 25th, 2009, 2:28 pm

The first time I was on Bear tooth I watched a rider that was so busy looking at the great scenery he drove straight into the side of the mountain at 60 MPH. It is so pretty but you can't forget what you are doing.

post #12 of 17 Old May 24th, 2011, 6:02 pm

I nearly did the same thing on my first trip over the pass. I finally had to tell myself, you can ride the road OR look around, you cannot do both.

Great ride, as is Chief Joseph, both are HIGHLY recommended.
post #13 of 17 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 10:52 pm

My in-laws lived in Red Lodge for 7 years. I have been lucky enough to go back and forth on the Beartooth 4 times. The best steak I ever had was in Cooke City just before the north entrance to Yellowstone

09 GSA
09 CRF 450 - my moto bike
11 Razor S - my all around fun toy
post #14 of 17 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 11:26 pm

The thing that impressed me most about Bear Tooth Highway is that you spend an extended period (maybe 20 miles?) above the tree line. Chief Joseph Trail down to (up from) Cody is worth a ride too, as is Ten Sleep Canyon (Route 16?) coming over from Buffalo, WYoming.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #15 of 17 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 12:28 am

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Bear Tooth Pass ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
This may be a stupid question, but ....

Generally speaking, would Bear Tooth Pass and Chief Joseph HiWay be open in late September (3rd or 4th week)?

Or should I plan on heading for the Hill Country?

Just curious, I may get a few days off and want to stretch my legs so-to-speak, and see someplace I have never seen before...
Shawn,

If you get out this way - I owe you a coffee (brew, etc.)

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
!
post #16 of 17 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 8:27 am

Amazing to see a revival of a 5 year old topic. June, July, and August are best months-you may still have a snow squall. At the summit plan on cool winds and a photo op in the remaining snow fields.

You'll enjoy the ride.

B
post #17 of 17 Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 7:56 pm

I think I'll pipe in. We usually take a long ride leaving every labor day, after the crowds thin and the weather is still good. Many times we have headed out or come home two or three weeks later through there. It may get cold, but it is always open, right?

Last edited by jorgensen; Jul 22nd, 2012 at 7:58 pm. Reason: add

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in