Headed your way - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 25th, 2007, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

Headed your way

I need a little help with my journey thru your neck of the woods. I am spending Saturday night in Norwood CO. Then on Sunday morning I am headed to ouray then south on 550 to silverton, Then Durango, then 160 to Steven's field then south on 84 and 64 to Chama NM and Sante FE. How high are these passes and will I see snow or ice. Should I wait a few hours to leave Norwood so it can warm up. Not afraid of the cold just the white stuff and frosty roads.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 26th, 2007, 10:16 am

Should be fine

By this time of year, each of those roads are normally clear, and the forcast this weekend is gorgeous. I am jealous but can't get to the west slope this weekend. That being said, almost any pass in Colorado can experience snow up to an including the 4th of July. Trust me, I've seen it, not sticking to the road, but lots of flakes in the air. You should be just fine on your ride. Enjoy the ride, its one of my favorites.

You don't stop riding because you get old....
You get old because you stop riding!
Skip
02 Black - "The Groove"
04 FLHRTP - "The Work Bike"
post #3 of 4 Old May 26th, 2007, 6:14 pm

Brian,

We just passed through there during Red River, no snow or Ice in the early morning. But the afternoons were racked with thunder and hail storms, the pass outside of Chama had 3 inches of hail in the afternoon but was perfect the next morning at 0745.
Most of those passes are in the 10,000 foot range.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

post #4 of 4 Old May 26th, 2007, 10:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Skip and John and Denny also. I had lunch with Denny in SLC. He didn't have his bike with him but that nice 911 S4 was a good substitute. I am in Norwood for the night and just finished my Filet mingon dinner that was cooked to perfection. Life is good! Once out of the desert The ride has been spectacular so far. I am really looking foward to tomorrows ride. Only 400 miles, But all primo mountain roads. There sure was a lot of coppers out in Utah today. Luckily no donations were made. I was is a nice set of twisties and as I was passing a herd of Harleys, The house of the rising sun came on my ipod, Its was a great experience. Beautiful scenery, a great song blasting and passing the harleys. It just doesn't get any better.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in