Red River Roundup 2007 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Red River Roundup 2007

It's time to start making plans and reservations for the Red River Roundup. The dates this year will be Thursday May 17th thru Sunday May 20. We had about 55 people in attendance last year from 7 or 8 different states. Many of you know, but this is not a rally. There are no registration fees. There are a lot of great roads, great food and the opportunity to gather with old friends and meet new friends. This could be the best 4-day Ride to Eat opportunity that you will ever experience. Friday night we'll be grilling onion burgers. Saturday night will feature Ken Goode's barbeque brisket with all the fixins.
The host hotel for the event will be the same as last year,The Riverside, located within walking distance of most everything in Red River. They have agreed to give us a 15% discount off of their winter rates, whether you spend just one night or longer. Most all of the rooms feature a living room and kitchen equipped with stoves, refrigerators, etc. The parking lot is paved and level, with parking just outside your room. Many rooms have a porch and chairs as well. They accept all major credit cards.
The website for the Riverside is at www.redriver-nm.com. Their toll-free number for reservations is 1-800-432-9999. Tell them you want to make reservations for the Red River Roundup. They do have a new person working the desk and she initially told me they were "sold out" of rooms for May. There is a large Motorcycle Rally the following weekend and she assumed that is when I was trying to get reservations. But, they are not out of rooms.
For those of you unfamiliar with Red River, it's a small town located in northwestern NM in the Sangre de Cristo mountains, the southernmost range of the Rocky mountains.
Red River is located on the Enchanted Circle, which traverses Carson National Forest and runs through Eagle Nest, and Taos, NM. The scenery is incredible. The roads are paved and in good shape, with many good twisties, especially on the south side of the Enchanted Circle. There are many other good roads in the area that make for enjoyable day trips. People have ridden to Wolf Creek Pass and other Southern Colorado locations during this RTE.
Taos, located about 30 miles from Red River, offers a variety of both excellent dining and shopping experiences. Other attractions in the area include several wineries and the Rio Grande Gorge.
If you have any questions, contact me at [email protected] or send me a pm.

Rango Springer
Dumas, TX
2000 K1200LTC Champagne
Livin' life in the fast lane on the high plains of West Texas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 6:22 pm
Bouncer

Ruth and I are in... again!

Thanks Rango!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 49 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 6:37 pm

But of course I'm in - Rango, what flavor of the grape would you like this year?

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

post #4 of 49 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 6:48 pm
Just ridin'

Michelle and I are in also.

See y'all there.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #5 of 49 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 7:13 pm

Trying to get it worked out.

I can flag the days off, but of course I'll have to see if Lindy can get off too..
Or I might just have to go solo ...

I'll talk to her tonight and see if she is going to have the vacation days to take..

If so then we're certainly going to try for this one.. Everyone's told me what a great time it is...

More as conditions develop..Have to fit the PGNR in there as well..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 49 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 8:08 pm

I love Red river and I will try to make it work. Getting time off work being the problem. Does any one know if the higher passes in colorado would be safely rideable that time of year?

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #7 of 49 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 8:39 pm
Gold Supporter

Count Sherry and I in. Let us know what we can do to help.

Jim

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #8 of 49 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 10:43 pm

Count us in

Me and Patricia are in. RTE in heaven!

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

post #9 of 49 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 2:11 am
Super Moderator

Dang, I was going to try to go this year, but we have to leave that weekend for Maine for my nephew's college graduation. Maybe next year.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #10 of 49 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 9:40 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
I love Red river and I will try to make it work. Getting time off work being the problem. Does any one know if the higher passes in colorado would be safely rideable that time of year?
The high passes in Colorado should be safe in May, but it is possible to have snow and pass closures year round. We generally ride in the mountains from April through September without a problem. The heaviest spring snows are generally in late March through April.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #11 of 49 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 1:04 pm

Smile

Cindy cleared us to come, I have never been to Red River in the summer only in the winter to ski.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #12 of 49 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 7:39 pm

Smile We're in!

My wife, Sue, and I have reserved a room. Hope you don't mine if we join you. We'll bring a few bottles of red. We're looking forward to being able to put faces to all the names.

Paul McClure
Houston, Texas
post #13 of 49 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 9:56 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac2005
My wife, Sue, and I have reserved a room. Hope you don't mine if we join you. We'll bring a few bottles of red. We're looking forward to being able to put faces to all the names.

Paul McClure
Houston, Texas
If they will let me come back this year, then you certainly will be welcome.

Michelle and I are partial to Merlot

All joking aside, you'll have a great time.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #14 of 49 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 6:46 pm

Smile

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Bringing some friends.

Mark and Rhonda Bouakadakis
Craig and Jo Ann Ames
Darryl and Mona Calvert

Bouak

Jenks, OK
07 GT
99 LT
05 GS
post #15 of 49 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 3:52 pm

Woo Hoo!

Count us in!

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #16 of 49 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 3:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Ruth and I are in... again!

Thanks Rango!!!
Glad to hear you're both coming.... Ruth have that new GT yet???

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #17 of 49 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 6:10 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer608
Glad to hear you're both coming.... Ruth have that new GT yet???
Actually, I think she's going for a K1200R-Sport

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #18 of 49 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 6:19 pm

Wink I'm a definate maybe

I can't predict when I'll be able to ride again. Although I will be totally bummed out if I'm not back in the saddle by the Red River ride. It would be nice to put some faces on the names.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #19 of 49 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 7:01 pm
Bouncer

John,

Even if you have to show up in a car, please do consider making the run up to Red River.

-
post #20 of 49 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 7:24 pm

Quote:
John,

Even if you have to show up in a car, please do consider making the run up to Red River.
Jeff, Thanks for welcome ... even if it's on four wheels. I'll consider it, but the riding is half the fun and suspect the riders will be out enjoying the twisties during the day.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #21 of 49 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 7:26 pm

Smile We're in

Heh.... We'd like to come along for the ride.

Sue and I love gatherings! I've been telling her about Red River (I passed through there on the way home from Steamboat Springs a few years ago). She's excited. And I'm anxious to meet all of you bmwlt.com superusers.

See you there.

Paul & Sue McClure - Houston, Texas
2003 Titan Silver LTC
post #22 of 49 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Wife & I are gonna try.

"Any rooms at the Inn?"

Needta schedule vacation and find a bike rental.

Should I choose a Wing, Harley or an RT?

Hell if nothing else we'll be in an Accord.

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #23 of 49 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 8:30 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerider
find a bike rental.
Huh? Sumpin wrong with the LT?

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #24 of 49 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Count Me In As A First Timer

I have secured a room and plan to attend from Sacramento Via Boise and Denver.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster

Last edited by Dan-A; Feb 6th, 2007 at 5:54 pm. Reason: error
post #25 of 49 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
I have secured a room and plan to attend from Sacramento Via Boise and Denver.
Dan, you are either gonna have a REALLY great ride or you're flying United .

Richard Kuethe
The Quiet Room
post #26 of 49 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 9:46 am

No Airplane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by varoom
Dan, you are either gonna have a REALLY great ride or you're flying United .
Nope. I am planning to ride. I have friends along the way I haven't seen for a while. My schedule may be to ambitious, but I am planning to leave Sacramento on the 10th or 11th and wind my way around.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #27 of 49 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 9:54 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Nope. I am planning to ride. I have friends along the way I haven't seen for a while. My schedule may be to ambitious, but I am planning to leave Sacramento on the 10th or 11th and wind my way around.
So, which bike are you going to ride? This kinda sounds like a GoldWing trip.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #28 of 49 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:33 am

Yup, the Gold Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
So, which bike are you going to ride? This kinda sounds like a GoldWing trip.
Yea, I think the Gold Wing for this one. Due to time constraints there will be a lot of Interstate burning, so big, easy and comfortable is the order of the day.

Nav is built in and the XM is installed, so now I need to figure out the Valentine One for it.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #29 of 49 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 11:25 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Yea, I think the Gold Wing for this one. Due to time constraints there will be a lot of Interstate burning, so big, easy and comfortable is the order of the day.

Nav is built in and the XM is installed, so now I need to figure out the Valentine One for it.
Cool. It is great to get a variety of bikes. I think you may be te first on a 'wing. I haven't decided whic I am going to ride.

See you there.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #30 of 49 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 11:36 am

Quote:
Cool. It is great to get a variety of bikes. I think you may be te first on a 'wing. I haven't decided whic I am going to ride.

See you there.

Take the GS, we'll go find some dirt roads to tear up......... or bring the S and we'll have fun in the twisties.....

Decisions
Decisions

What to ride?

John & Cathy
Northern CA

Posse #2

post #31 of 49 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:31 pm

Which Bike To Ride

Quote:

See you there.
Definately a high class problem. Depends on how far you have to go, and what you plan to do when you get there I suppose.

After the Death Valley trip I think a GS with the right luggage and electronics would be good for just about anything.

Maybe next year.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #32 of 49 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 2:11 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Take the GS, we'll go find some dirt roads to tear up......... or bring the S and we'll have fun in the twisties.....

Decisions
Decisions

What to ride?
I think I am going to bring the GS, great in the twisties and can do pretty good in the dirt. It just needs a cruise control for the long boring part to get out of TX.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA

Don't Panic!
post #33 of 49 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 2:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
I think I am going to bring the GS, great in the twisties and can do pretty good in the dirt. It just needs a cruise control for the long boring part to get out of TX.
These work great.................

John & Cathy
Northern CA

Posse #2

post #34 of 49 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 5:35 pm
Bouncer

Mmmmmm... Martin's Breakfast Burrito.... Mmmmmm....

-
post #35 of 49 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 5:43 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider

Decisions
Decisions

What to ride?
It will likely be one of the 'G' bikes (GS or GT). I am leaning toward the GT, but it depends on how many miles I can put on it before then. I will need to get the GS ready for a loooong trip beginning June 1.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #36 of 49 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:41 pm
Bouncer

Be sure to get on the roster

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19265

-

Last edited by eljeffe; Feb 14th, 2007 at 10:23 am.
post #37 of 49 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 9:57 am

Quote:

No linkie.

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

Last edited by eljeffe; Feb 14th, 2007 at 10:24 am.
post #38 of 49 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 10:24 am
Bouncer

Try it now

-
post #39 of 49 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 4:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer608
No linkie.
Oh linkie, I read that wrong at first glance!

David
IBA #31697
'02 K1200RS Black "Bling-Bling"
'04 Saab 9-3 Aero SS
'06 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible
post #40 of 49 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:56 am
Bouncer

I just made my hotel reservations, and they are filling up.

Since they no longer own the two buildings in the rear of the property, they have about half the rooms they had last year. Get your room soon!

-
post #41 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2007, 5:53 am

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #42 of 49 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 1:42 pm
Just ridin'

Just a month to go. This is a great way to kick off the summer riding season. There are about 32 signed up so far - the roster is here. The Riverside hotel is a little smaller this year because they sold the condos along the creek, so get your reservations in if you plan on being there. Michelle and I are anxious to get down there for the food, riding and friends.

Michelle will be on her 'S'. Now, do I put some more miles on the GS before the trip to Alaska, or the GT or....

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #43 of 49 Old May 1st, 2007, 2:31 pm

Unhappy Must Cancel-My room is now available

I cannot attend, I have to go to a business meeting in Canada that week. If anyone needs a reservation I have one that you can have. Work sucks but not as bad as not having a job.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA

Don't Panic!
post #44 of 49 Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:32 am Thread Starter

Two Weeks!

Gitty-up! Just two weeks until we head to the mountains. I have the bike ready to rock n' roll. Look forward to seeing everyone soon.

Rango Springer
Dumas, TX
2000 K1200LTC Champagne
Livin' life in the fast lane on the high plains of West Texas!
post #45 of 49 Old May 6th, 2007, 10:03 pm

Tick Tick Tick - 5 days and counting until the 4 western horsemen head out on a SW odyssey. I can already smell Michaels green Chili Burrito and one of Rango's burgers smothered in onions. Looking forward to seeing everyone again - I hope they nailed those picnic tables to the ground this year.

John & Cathy
Northern CA

Posse #2

post #46 of 49 Old May 15th, 2007, 6:13 pm

We're gone

Bikes packed and we are leaving "Big D". See everyone at Red River

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

post #47 of 49 Old May 15th, 2007, 10:26 pm

Everyone bring good raingear. Could be some snow up high - and Red River is. We had a nice ride last Sunday; got caught twice in rain - scattered thunderstorms, they were, but we found them anyway. Watch out for deer, even in the daytime, on the smaller roads. We were actually passed by a deer quartering up from behind and left crossing in front of us on the road between Mora and Angel Fire through the Coyote Creek Ranch. I guess I was going slow enough.

In Taos, Michael's Kitchen is nice for any meal. It's in the northern part of town on the West side of the main drag. They just opened a place called Shadow's, new and nice, just South of the major fiasco intersection in town, the one that crosses the road from Angel Fire. You'll recognize it when you go through it. It's in a new, small complex on the West side of the road. If you make it down to Chimayo, try the Rancho de Chimayo for any meal, it's worth it. Very cool, very old place. Parking is mostly gravel, so be careful. The road through Truchas is very nice; sometimes the views of the Jemez are fantastic, especially as thunderstorms build up. The road from Angel Fire to Taos is great. If you are up for a few hours ride, check out Bandelier National Monument close to Los Alamos. Also check out the Los Alamos Bradbury Science Museum at the same time. If you get that far, head up into the Valle Grande;; turn around at Jemez Springs, it's not that nice afterward. If you make it to Santa Fe, try La Choza just off Cerillos and Saint Francis for authentic New Mexican food - my personal favorite. Or the Shed down off the Plaza - owned by the same folks; only open for lunch I think. Or Tomasita's off of Guadalupe, south of the Plaza, good anytime. You'll just have to resist the Margarita's.

We'll try to make it, but our son needs help moving in Albuquerque this weekend, so if we don't - have a great time.
post #48 of 49 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 7:10 pm

Smile

So, this gathering going to happen again in 2008?

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #49 of 49 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 9:05 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOSLEYDS
So, this gathering going to happen again in 2008?
You betcha! Rango will be posting an 'official' announcement - here is the gist:

It's time to start making plans and reservations for the Red River Roundup. The dates this year will be Thursday May 15th thru Sunday May 18th. Many of you know, but this is not a rally. There are no registration fees. There are a lot of great roads, great food and the opportunity to gather with old friends and meet new friends. This could be the best 4-day Ride to Eat opportunity that you will ever experience. Friday night we'll be grilling onion burgers. Saturday night will feature Ken Goode's barbeque brisket with all the fixins.
The host hotel for the event will be the same as last year,The Riverside, located within walking distance of most everything in Red River. They have agreed to give us a 15% discount off of their summer rates, whether you spend just one night or longer. Most all of the rooms feature a living room and kitchen equipped with stoves, refrigerators, etc. The parking lot is paved and level, with parking just outside your room. Many rooms have a porch and chairs as well. They accept all major credit cards.
The website for the Riverside is at www.redriver-nm.com. Their toll-free number for reservations is 1-800-432-9999. Tell them you want to make reservations for the Red River Roundup. For those of you unfamiliar with Red River, it's a small town located in northwestern NM in the Sangre de Cristo mountains, the southernmost range of the Rocky mountains.
Red River is located on the Enchanted Circle, which traverses Carson National Forest and runs through Eagle Nest, and Taos, NM. The scenery is incredible. The roads are paved and in good shape, with many good twisties, especially on the south side of the Enchanted Circle. There are many other good roads in the area that make for enjoyable day trips. People have ridden to Wolf Creek Pass and other Southern Colorado locations during this RTE.
Taos, located about 30 miles from Red River, offers a variety of both excellent dining and shopping experiences. Other attractions in the area include several wineries and the Rio Grande Gorge.
If you have any questions, contact me at [email protected] or send me a pm.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in