From Denver to Albuquerque - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

From Denver to Albuquerque

Hi,
I`m a LT-Rider from Munich/Germany.

Me and my wife are discussing a bike trip from Denver to Albuquerque (9/25 to 10/10).
We want to travel on Highways 24, 285, 17 southward to the Great Sand Dunes.
Around Taos we`re planning to do some touring in the mountains.
The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta should be the final destination before heading back to Denver.
We are a little bit concerned about the weather conditions at the end of September/beginning of October in this regions.
Unfortunately we haven`t got our LT with us - that means no heated grips, no heated seat !
Perhaps the locals can encourage a German couple at a loss?

Regards
novus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 6:06 pm
Cat Herder

Tach mal! Das einzige worauf Du WIRKLICH achten musst sind Zimmer in Albuquerque waehrend der Baloon Fiesta. (Normalerweise sind die auf JAHRE hinaus ausgebucht) Also rechne mal mit einer ca 60-70 Meilen Anreise zur Baloon Fiesta wenn Du nicht schon gebuchty und bestaetigte Zimemr hast.

Ansonsten sollte es um diese Jahreszeit kein Problem geben. (Was nicht heissen soll das es nicht regnen kann, und mache der hoeher gelegenen Paesse auf dieser Route koennen schon Schnee abbekommen. Du musst halt einfach faehig sein kurzfristig umzubuchen. Sonst aber ist das eine nette 2-3 Tages tour. (Nicht wirklich sehr weit, auf der Autobahn/I25) kannst Du es in einem Tag machen)
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:36 pm

stop in

and chat us up when you get here. Heck, maybe we can ride part way with you. It will be beautiful weather, a little cool in the morning but just wonderful. Sure there is that chance of snow in the mountains but pull over and let it dry up and on your way.
HOpe to meet you.
Andrew in Denver

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:43 pm

It's a mountain area so the weather can vary greatly - 40-45 F in the morning 70-75 F during the day is probably the average, colder at night. Unless it is windy the leaves on the aspen trees should be near their peak.

North of Santa Fe on Highway 78 "The High Road to Taos" is the village of Chimayo and my favorite New Mexican restaurant the Rancho de Chimayo http://www.ranchochimayo.com/Ranchod...restaurant.htm

Be sure to visit the El Santuario de Chimayo, "Chapel of Miracles" too.
http://www.chimayo.org/index.html

Enjoy your ride in the USA.
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for your answers.

Because we will stay in Taos only for some days, there is some time left.
Now I`m thinking about a ride to the Texas Panhandle or to the New Mexico/Arizona border.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.

@Andy:
Das mit den ausgebuchten Zimmern dachte ich mir schon. Ich denke wir werden versuchen in Santa Fe unterzukommen und dann in aller Frühe nach Albuquerque zu fahren.

Regards
novus
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 4:25 pm
Bouncer

Novus,

You will want to ride the Enchanted Circle - Taos to Angel Fire to Eagle's Nest to Red River to Questa back to Taos.

Also, you can take US 64 west out of Taos to Chama to CO 17 to Antonito and back to Taos.

If you don't want to head into Colorado, you can continue west on US 64 until it ends in Shiprock.

There's nothing to see east of I-25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

eljeffe,
driving on US 64 seems to be a great idea.
On the website of the NM tourism office, I`ve read about the 95th Navajo Fair - taking place in Shiprock.
This could be a very interesting thing for us Europeans.
The schedule of this event matches perfectly to our travel time.
Google Map shows me a winding road from the Great Sand Dunes to Shiprock via South Fork - Pagosa Springs - Durango - Cortez.
Does anybody knows this road (elev., scenic) ?

novus
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 2:31 pm
Bouncer

That is US 160 from Alamosa to Durango. Wolf Creek Pass is ususally under permanent construction. Expect a 30 minute to 2 hour wait between South Fork and Pagosa if you go that way.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 1:11 am

Us 160

The ride to the Sand Dunes then on to Pagosa Springs is very nice and the time of year you will get to see tree changes. Wolf Creek Pass is about 10K feet and usually has some construction. At Durango you can ride an old steam engine and also go to Mesa Verde National park,that has may cliff dwellings. From Durango you can go to ShipRock/Farmington for the Indian fair. From there you can go back east on 64 to Taos. Also take 64 to Cimmaron. There is a Kit Carson museum there. Just north west of Santa Fe is Los Alamos. Famous national science research there where they developed the first atomic bomb. It will be a beautiful time of the year to travel in CO and NM.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 8:52 pm

If you are going to need a room in Albuquerque at that time, book it now. Rooms are hard to come by during the balloon fiesta.

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #11 of 12 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 9:21 am

East

of I-25 from Raton there is Capulan Volcano, interesting hike and views. Clayton Lake State Park is cool enough too with the hundreds of dinosaur tracks in the spillway of the dam. East of there, forget it.
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 2:36 am

If you're in Albuquerque for the balloon fiesta and don't have a room booke by now you probably won't find one. PM me my wife and I may be able to house you for a couple of nights (plus we could work on our German seeing as we will be in your neck of the woods next year)

We live about 1 mile south of the balloon fiesta park. It's awesome to just walk outside and see hundreds of balloons in the air

Otherwise we will at least go for a couple of rides with you guys.

Let me know

-Jerod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in