Los Angeles to Alaska & Arctic Circle - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 2:08 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Los Angeles to Alaska & Arctic Circle

My crazy friend Bill who just bought a K1600GTL last month is hell bent on riding to the Arctic circle and back in June-July 2012. Its's a long trip with elaborate preparation and lots of time off needed. I am contemplating it seriously.

Bill and I have done two trips to North California of about 1,100 miles each so have some taste of long distance trips but Alaska is a whole different baby!!

We think it will be about 8k miles round trip and will need (3) three weeks or so. If any of you were/are thinking of Alaska and like to join in please let me know. If you have suggestions and have already done it or been there please feed me your ideas and suggestions.

Thanks

2012 K1600GTL
2003 K1200 LT (Ex)

BMWMOA #165932
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LosAngelesMan; Feb 12th, 2012 at 2:23 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Unhappy Re: Los Angeles to Alaska & Arctic Circle

Hey LA Man,
You need to speak to Phil Freeman the founder of MotoQuest Tours
Just went to a presentation about Alaska from him yesterday.
He has done the Dalton Highway about 12 times.
He mentioned a lot of big touring bike riders get up to Alaska and switch
out their touring bikes and rent KLR 650's to do Dalton Highway up to Prudhoe Bay.

www.motoquesttours.com

"Phil was born and raised in Alaska. He has lived and worked around the world, but is always drawn back
to the grandeur of Alaska. He started Alaska Rider Tours in 1998 with just three used motorcycles, and a dream to share Alaska.
He is the owner and founder of MotoQuest."

I would like to do Alaska but have not figured out my strategy yet.
But my RT would not being going North of Fairbanks.

Good luck!!!!!

AT

2007 RT Silver
1996 HD Fat Boy
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Re: Los Angeles to Alaska & Arctic Circle

Hey LA,
Looks like Wally's info is right up your alley, check out his web-site!

wjg4

Cleveland to the Arctic Circle and back...
I returned July 16 from a 6-week trip from Cleveland to Alaska and back, stopping at the BMW MOA rally in West Bend on the way home. My daily trip log is up on my web site: http://gingerich.net/motorcycles/trips/Alaska/

My 2001 LT performed beautifully the entire 11,660 miles. It had around 24,000 miles on it when I left home and is now up to 36,000. The bike managed the gravel roads and construction areas very well. There was one north-bound section of the Haul Road just south of the Yukon River were they were building up the roadbed with large, jagged grapefruit sized rocks that was very dicey. The rocks rolled around quite a bit and the sharp edges could have cut my tires. The muddy areas (with no gravel) and the soft sections under construction were the most difficult, however. I turned around on the Denali Highway when I encountered a muddy section - I might have made it but I didn't know how I could have picked the bike up should it go down, which would have been a real possibility.

Would I do the trip again? In a flash! The LT is definitely the bike for the paved roads, of which there were 11,000 miles on my trip. If I go again I would like to get my hands on a GS so I could do the gravel roads with more confidence, and would definitely go all the way up the Haul Road to Prudhoe Bay. I would also do the entire Denali Highway, and would do the Cassiar Highway in BC.

In Alaska it seemed like half of all the bikes were GSs. I saw only two other LTs in my two weeks there. Back down in the lower 48 on the main roads it seemed like half the bikes were Gold Wings. I did see a few more LTs down here, but not many. I always got very positive comments from other bikers about the LT. It seems the bike has a very good reputation in the touring community
1999 R1100RS
1994 K75

AT

2007 RT Silver
1996 HD Fat Boy

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 7:37 am

Please delete this thread before I end up in alaska!

I retire in 29 days. Heading home to phoenix in April from Detroit.

Got any more details yet? I had decided not to even ask but here I am asking LOL...

I still have a lot of riding to do in the states but touching the artic circle before I depart the planet might be cool.

I only have one bike now though, K1300S so thats what I'd be riding.
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 7:45 am

"Please delete this thread before I end up in alaska!"

+1!

I went up in '04 with my dad, and had a trip of a lifetime. San Diego, all the way up the 15 to Canada, Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Grand Cache, then up the AlCan to Fairbanks, back down to Anchorage, dropped the bikes off at the shipping company and a plane ride home.

Got it done in 15 days. We rode every day but one and took that day off in Skagway to do laundry and relax.

Someday, I'll get up there again
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 7:53 am

Ok, thats it, we need to report this to admin as "abuse of the general riding public!" LOL..

I told the wife she could fly up and ride the rented KLR to the circle but she's not convinced this isn't a "man" trip yet as she calls it

sure is tempting and there really isn't a reason I can't do it. this herein lies the problem!
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 7:43 am

Three weeks is a full schedule. You will be riding 7-9 hours each day. You might consider dropping the Prudoe Bay section or dropping your bike off in Anchorage and having it shipped home. I did the trip in 2009 from Vegas and back. We cut out the Dempster Highway portion because we just ran out of days on a three week schedule. There is so much to see, that you are continually stopping to take pictures. Also the road has lots of construction during the summer which can slow you down. I am not saying that you can't do it, just passing along some observations from our trip.
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 8th, 2012, 12:11 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Two riders are definitely going from Los Angeles the date is June 23rd. I have still not decided to go as I have some commitment to travel abroad in December with the family so I need to save both $$ and my days off.

If you are seriouly interested send me your email address I will send you all the latest details and hook you up with my friends leaving from LA.

Thank you

2012 K1600GTL
2003 K1200 LT (Ex)

BMWMOA #165932
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in