BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

STC Cancelled

10K views 71 replies 14 participants last post by  hschisler 
#1 · (Edited)
After much though and discussion with my co-coordinator, I have decided we need to cancel this gathering. The Ironhorse is allowing you to move your reservations to another date if you choose to. I moved mine to 19-23 August but I was not able to secure a move of the the event as most rooms were already booked. They said the only restriction they have is on restaurants with take out only and that they could accommodate that at Ironhorse. Also NC has a restriction on gathering of more than 100 people right now but Ironhorse was not aware of that.

This is in line with the MOA reschedule of the Fontana event. I did not have a good enough list of who was attending to try and secure rooms for us. You may have luck in finding a room if you call. Alternately you could move your reservation to the fall event 14-18 October, if you have not booked it yet. They also have a special on Sunday to Wednesday bookings where the fourth night is free so you try that as well if you can.

Hope this all passes soon so we can get back to riding and traveling again.

#3 ·
I would like for everyone who has signed up to go to post on this thread what their intentions are to help everyone decide what to do. Jan has talked with Iron Horse and we planning on rescheduling for another date this summer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
I would like for everyone who has signed up to go to post on this thread what their intentions are to help everyone decide what to do. Jan has talked with Iron Horse and we planning on rescheduling for another date this summer.
Good idea, Al.

Just off the phone with the Iron Horse. I was going to move it to the October SMFR dates but our cabin room and efficiency are not available for those dates.

If there is going to be a gathering of those who were planning on going to STC but on a new date we would be up for that. It's either that, pick a completely different date when y'all aren't there, or lose the entire balance - per the Iron Horse. If there was an option to get a full refund I would take it. Not a fan of their new reservation/cancellation policy but that is out of our hands.

Reactions: mwnahas
#5 ·
I have moved my paid room in April over to my unpaid room for the SMFR in October. I plan on riding up on the Saturdays that any of you will be there for breakfast and a day ride before I ride home. If there is a cancellation on the Saturday I ride there I would stay the night.

#6 ·
Like I said Jean and I moved ours to 19-23 August. But if everyone else can find a better date to group up on, we would likely just book what ever room we can and join you in addition to our Aug stay.

#10 ·
We moved our reservations to August 20-22!
We'll see you there!

#11 ·
Looks like it was the right call as we got this from Graham County, NC today:

As a result of the countywide declaration of emergency Graham County Government has established an Emergency Mangement Committee. This committee has met this morning and the following decisions have been made and will be put into play over the coming days.

A) Effective Monday, March 23,2020 all accommodation businesses shall close for business at 12:00 noon. Accommodations defined are hotels, motels, cabins, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, or any public rental facility that typically rents for less than one month.
B) By Friday, March 27, 2020 the following highways will be closed or have restricted access. 1) Cherohala Skyway will be closed to all traffic 2) Highways US 129 and NC 28 at Deals Gap will be restricted to local resident traffic and commercial traffic 3) US 129 at Topton will be restricted to pass through detour traffic, commercial traffic, and local resident traffic only. Once the US 74 detour is ended then US 129 will be restricted to local traffic and commercial traffic only. 4) NC Highway 28 going east from Stecoah will be restricted to local and detour traffic only and commercial traffic. Once the detour is ended NC 28 will be restricted to local and commercial traffic only. Persons travelling these highways should be prepared to show a Graham County address or proof of property ownership for non-residents to be able to enter Graham County.

We understand that this decision will impact a lot of people. It will cause people to be temporarily laid off from work. We will post information on how to file for unemployment benefits on the Graham County website. We accept that these are drastic steps to some degree but we have to do what is necessary to keep people safe. The President of the United States has asked everyone to stay home and eliminate unnecessary travel. We support that decision.

#12 ·
Thank You John for posting about the road closures . Bummer..I have never been able to make it to A STC . We have been snow birds staying in Florida for the last 14 winters or so. The STC was usually when we here traviling back up to Michigan . This last June 21 we moved to Florida permanently. I was hoping to go this year to the STC , but I am planning on going up to Michigan around that time to get a tooth put in. I paid for it last spring, but it is working out my appointment is not going to let me make it this year either.

But I was planning to go right up thru there on my way up to Michigan. Staying off the slab only adds a day or so each way & makes it a lot nicer ride .

I road our sidecar rig down here to Florida last August on US-23 stopping in Boone NC to attend the Dan'l Boone Campout. Then in September I road my 2010 GSA down US-127 to US 27 on down:wave

Reactions: saddleman
#13 · (Edited)
I was wondering about that. Thanks for posting this. So your going Aug 19th thru the 23rd? Looks like. Howard & Gordon and others are going Aug 19 -23rd also. Looks like i might be as well too. And August is warm enough where the wife may come this time. October is much to cold for her. We'll talk it over & call tomorrow if i remember. This Covid 19 is screwing up everything.

#15 ·
Just changed my dates to Oct 15-18. Julie was great helping me make that move. I'd aim for August, but planning to be in Oregon and Washington during much of the month.

Thanks for your work John putting this together.

#20 ·
I'm not fond on the no cancel policy either, especially if there is a quarantine order in place. That would be considered a case of force majeure.

#21 · (Edited)
Yea. Got a real issue with it. You should be able to cancel more than a month out. This isn't, But you still wouldn't get a refund even then. Next rally. I may do the 10 minute trip from Tuskegee motel?? .Doesn't sound so bad as a place flat out refusing refunds no matter what. It's like a time share LOL, This Virus is a Nationwide issue. Ironhorse is a nice place. I do like it. But not that much!! JMHO... I do appreciate John Z and the organizers for the planning and work they do. After all. It's because of him and you,Gordon and Howard, Dave, Mike, Lee etc...all the of guys that I come there for. (Well the riding too LOL) And the very reason why I will continue too.

#22 ·
Don't look now but Jerry also bought the Tuskegee Motel and plans to put more Conestoga wagon across the street.

In a somewhat weak defense of the no refund policy the former owner did lose a lot of money when people booked and then cancelled that week because it was going to rain...

#23 · (Edited)
Oh i feel the owner should be protected as well too.And in defense of the former and new owner and refund policies. Refunds should not be granted any sooner than 30 days out. Well ok.. at the minimum 3 weeks Maybe?? Anything closer. It's your obligation to honor the booking you reserved. A guest shouldn't be cancelling a week, or week and a half out because of rain?? Oh please. Put on rain gear and go.That's just tacky and in poor taste. The Suzuki 1500 Intruder group always has a rally in 3rd week in September in Pigeon Forge. The hotel owner is a super nice guy, and would always go out of his way for us. He would accept cancellations. And probably would even a week out. But. We out of personal responsibility & respect wouldn't do that to him. So Because not all humans are honorable. Reasonable refund policies have to be set. For both guest and owner. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: zippy_gg
#24 ·
I moved my reservation to the SMFR. It looks like I may have waited too long to get a room for the August gathering.

If memory serves, the cancellation policy was already in effect prior to the buyout of the IronHorse. The change the new owner made was to how we pay for one night at the time of booking and the balance at 60 days before arrival. Not issuing full refunds when quarantines, travel restrictions, and road closures are in place is unconscionable. I imagine most people pay for rooms with a credit card. My card from Chase has a statement about the purchaser not being satisfied with goods or services. In a dispute with a merchant, the card holder doesn't have to pay the amount being disputed until the card issuer has time to look into the dispute. I've only needed them get involved once. I bought tickets to see Tim Hawkins, finding out later that I could not go. No refunds is what the ticket issuer told me. I called Chase. They told me they would take care of it. They did. My card was credited with no further action from me.

I have no idea how this would work if paying with a debit card. It might not have the same outcome.

#25 ·
I moved my reservation to the SMFR. It looks like I may have waited too long to get a room for the August gathering.

If memory serves, the cancellation policy was already in effect prior to the buyout of the IronHorse. The change the new owner made was to how we pay for one night at the time of booking and the balance at 60 days before arrival. Not issuing full refunds when quarantines, travel restrictions, and road closures are in place is unconscionable. I imagine most people pay for rooms with a credit card. My card from Chase has a statement about the purchaser not being satisfied with goods or services. In a dispute with a merchant, the card holder doesn't have to pay the amount being disputed until the card issuer has time to look into the dispute. I've only needed them get involved once. I bought tickets to see Tim Hawkins, finding out later that I could not go. No refunds is what the ticket issuer told me. I called Chase. They told me they would take care of it. They did. My card was credited with no further action from me.

I have no idea how this would work if paying with a debit card. It might not have the same outcome.

Just as a point of interest. I called and cancelled my reservation late last week. That was done as a result of great pressure from my family, two of whom are medical doctors. Anyway During a short discussion with the office, during which they wanted me to simply move the reservation to a new date, I told them that because of some personal issues I would prefer not to do that. I also told them I had no problem if they wanted to keep one nights fee if they would refund the balance and they agreed. I did this because I know that these situations can cripple a small business. My daughter is a partner and full time manager for a short term rental business in the Orlando area and her phone is continually lighting up with calls for cancellation. She had roughly an 80% full booking for April and May and currently it is 0. She has been giving full refunds but her future looks bleak.

#26 · (Edited)
UPDATE

The IHML has now allowed us to re use our reservation in the next year season as well as this years season. Which means if you can't move it to another date this year, like many have for August, you can apply it to next years STC that will be scheduled for April 14 - 18 2021. I will call IHML on Monday and be sure they know the dates for next years STC.

I want to shout out a big Thank You to the TTD team of organizers and legal people for their efforts over a three week period to get this policy negotiated with IHML.

THANK YOU!

#29 ·
Just another update. Next years STC is set for 14 -18 April 2021. Anyone that had reservations for this years event can move that reservation to another date this year OR move it to next years STC in April 2021. I just booked my STC 2021. We will still be going up in August 19-23 and we also plan to shoot up there just as soon as they can open up and travel can resume.

#30 ·
Also just made my 2021 April reservations. The one night reservation up front may help this year to keep things going till things loosen up. also going in August so looking forward to seeing people then, at least those who can get reservations in or nearby.

#31 ·
I waited too long to get a room in August. I just booked a room for June 18 - 21. If anyone's schedule allows, the mountains are calling!

On May 7th, I traded my LT for a 2020 K16 GTL in Pollux Metallic. As much as I loved my LT, the GTL is something else!

#32 ·
I have canceled our reservations for August 19-23; we'll revisit this in the spring. Uncertainty regarding closures leading up to our August gathering, and conflicting schedules meant we had to cancel this one. Hope to see you all soon - maybe spring 2021.

Regarding their cancellation/refund policy: Pam reminded me that I could move the reservation to another date or get a refund. I chose the refund; their policy is to send a check within 60 days. No complaints about that, I guess; it could be worse.

#36 ·
Most likely not, John. My son and I are preparing for a week-long trip through the mountains of British Columbia and this trip will exhaust my vacation time for the year.

That said, if the US-Canada border is not open at that time then an October return to the Iron Horse is a possibility. The next border announcement is scheduled for July 22; our trip is late August into September.

#34 ·
For what it is worth, I was at the Iron Horse last week with my son on our new to us RTs, and they are open, and ready. I would guess mid week it was about half full, the roads were wide open empty, and no trouble with gas, food, etc.
I have moved my reservation to Oct, and actually looking forward to it being a bit cooler.

It was my first stop there, and won't be my last. We had three perfect days of riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.