BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

2020 BMW's Tame the Tail of the Dragon (TTD)

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  jzeiler 
#1 ·
:grin:2020 BMW’s Tame the Tail of Dragon (TTD):grin:

BMW K1600's Forum riders, family & friends from across the country will be gathering for the 5th year in a row at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge (IHML) from April 29th to May 3rd 2020. Our BMW Motorrad Sponsor is Touring Sport of Greenville, SC.

We Welcome All Experienced Mountain Riders to Join Us!

There is No Registration.
(Like most things: 90% of Life is Just Showing Up.)

Dates: Wensday, April 29th to Sunday, May 3rd 2020
Location: Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge (IHML), Robbinsville, NC ( https://ironhorsenc.com )
Sponsor: Touring Sport of Greenville, SC ( http://www.touringsport.com )
Grand Prize Drawings for Riders & Pillon: High End KLIM Jacket & BMW AllAround Boots (TBA)
Helmets: Required
Motorcycle Rental: https://wolfcreekrentals.us
Motorcycle Tires & Repair: Wheelers Performance ( https://www.wheelersperformance.com )

Group Rides: Spirited, Regular, Couples and Scenic; See the area with a RoadCaptain/ Leader & TailGunner; Most Mountain Riders should consider the Couples or Regular Group Rides. Spirited rides can cover almost 300 miles in a day. To participate in the Group Rides or be Eligible for the Grand Prizes you must fill out a Release. Release forms are available upon arrival or each day prior to the Group Rides.
Food: IHML offers Breakfast & Dinner. If you are staying at the IHML they will E-Mail out a menu for the dinners (usually a week before your arrival). Breakfast preferences are filled out upon arrival. Those not staying at the IHML may eat there if you notify/ E-mail the IHML in advance. Area has some pretty Good Places to Eat & Saturday night Prime Rib at the IHML is Great.

Accommodations: Location Central is the IHML. All Group Rides depart from/ return to the IHML. All TTD Event occur at the IHML.

What accommodation are AVAILABLE/ OPEN AT THE IHML RIGHT as of 1/14/2020!!!

- 2 Conestoga Wagons w/twin beds $145.95/night +tax
- 2 Conestoga Wagons w/king beds $145.95/night +tax
- Big Bear Luxury Cabin (New this Season: DELUX Private Cabin) 2 King Bedrooms, 4 bedrooms w/2 twins. Lots of space in downstairs for blow up beds. $1250.00/night +tax
- 1 Bunkhouse Bed $29.95/night + tax
- 2 RV sites Full Hook Up $50.00/night
- 7 (110 volt) campsites $25.00/ 1 person
Lots of Tent Camping

If you cannot get a reservation at the IHML consider Quality Inn of Robbinsville ( https://www.choicehotels.com/north-carolina/robbinsville/quality-inn-hotels/nc894?source=gyxt ), Phillips Motel ( Phillips Motel Robbinsville North Carolina | Home-style motel in the Smoky Mountains ), Two Wheel Inn ( https://twowheelinn.com ), or Tapoco Lodge ( https://tapoco.com ).

Our event occurs at the same time as the Mini Rally at the Fontana Village ( https://www.minisonthedragon.com ) & the Thunder in Smoky’s in Maggie Valley (1 of 3; https://handlebarcorral.com ).

:bmw:Tentative Schedule for the 2020 TTD:bmw:

-Tuesday, 28th of April 2020: Organizers Arrive
-Wednesday, 29th of April 2020: Organizers Group Ride- Open to All. Recommended Arrival Date!!
-Thursday, 30th of April 2020: Regular & Spirited Group Rides; Tips Rides with Doc at 4 PM; Meet & Greet at 6PM with Free Heineken Keg
-Friday, 1st of May 2020: Spirited (1 & 2), Regular, Couples (1 & 2) and Scenic Group Rides; Evening Events after/ during dinner- Presentation of Gifts to Sponsors; 50/50 (Must be present to Win) & Free Heineken Keg
-Saturday, 2nd of May 2020: Line up Bikes in front of IHML & Participants Photo- 8:30 to 9AM; Spirited (1 & 2), Regular, Couples (1 & 2) and Scenic Group Rides; Evening Events after dinner- Grand Prize Drawing for Riders & Pillions (Release Required/ Must be present to Win) & what is left of the Keg
-Sunday, 3rd May 2020: DEPARTURE

This is a Private Event. Please No Copyrighted Photography!!
There is a professional photographer on site but, any & all SD cards of the event are appreciated.

:rulez:No Public Drunkenness Allowed!:rulez:

All Experienced Mountain Riders are Welcome!!

(Yes, you do not have to be riding a BMW…. Will DeadPool make another Appearance at the TTD?? His Agent says- NO! I believe it was because several participants thought he was Spiderman…..)

Yes, we have a "Facebook" page;HTTPS://WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/K1600DG/

See You in the Mountains.

Doc:thumb::thumb:​

See less See more
#2 ·
It's funny how the post above mentions nothing about the LT group moving our gathering to April like it does on the 1600 forum.:wave

#7 ·
The 2020 TTD is Still ON!!!

I went by, meet & talked with both the IHML & Touring Sports. Both are presently planning on participating and having the 2020 BMW’s Tame the Tail of the Dragon ( https://touringsport.com/Events/Event-Details?EventId=956ef08e-cbc2-4a16-a861-ab7300ea853d ). Appropriate/ Recommended precautions will be taken/ provided by the IHML. All organizers have confirmed that at the present time they plan on attending.

You can cancel your room & loose your one night stay deposit up to 30 days before your scheduled arrival at the IHML. Contact them by E-Mail & phone.

Hopefully, this virus will leave us all alone for the 2020 TTD.

We all know the concerns. Please!!! Unless you have something positive to say then, say/ post nothing…

FYI: The BMW Motorcycle Demo Truck/ Open House will be at TS this coming Friday & Saturday ( https://touringsport.com/Events/Event-Details?EventId=0abea25f-82ef-40e0-b8ef-ab73001d6fe3 )

Best,

Doc :thumb::thumb:

#8 · (Edited)
The IHML has not been required to shut down?? The 2020 TTD is Still On!!

We have been communicating with the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge (IHML) staff, the new owners and their plans weekly. The cancellation policies of the IHML have been confirmed and has not changed. The IHMl is allowing those that cannot attend the 2020 TTD to E-Mail or call to re-schedule their reservation for the IHML 2020 season pending availability.

Doc,
As of now this is where we stand, that may change in the days to come. In the event it does they will be given the option to use their reservations later in the 2020 season individually or the group will be able to change to different dates in the 2020 season.
Thanks,
Kristen(IHML
)

The IHML has not been shut down. Fees payed are Non-Refundable to participants. Rescheduling dates given for a latter/ postponed TTD are unacceptable/ not good for the organizers nor the BMW sponsor. We are very large group. So, the 2020 TTD will not be rescheduled. No, the IHML will not honor our current reservations for a 2021 TTD.

3/23/2020
DOC
THANKS FOR YOUR EMAIL
AT I.H.M.L. WE ARE MONITORING ALL THE SOURCES AVAILABLE TO US CONCERNING THE CURRENT ISSUES TO DATE
IT IS CLEAR THINGS ARE CHANGING FROM DAY TO DAY
WE WILL BE MAKING THE NECESSARY CHANGES (IF ANY)
TO ANY AND ALL POLICIES IF AND WHEN THESE CHANGES ARE NEEDED
I HAVE A COPY OF THE LINK YOU SENT ME ;
HOWEVER AFTER A LITTLE INVESTIGATION;
OUR LAWYERS FOUND THAT GRAHAM COUNTY DOES NOT HAVE THE PROPER LEGAL TOOLS IN PLACE TO ISSUE THIS RESTRICTION
OR ENFORCE IT
AT I.H.M.L. OUR GREATEST CONCERN HAS ALWAYS BEEN AND STILL REMAINS THE SAFETY OF OUR GUESTS
AND WE WILL ACT ACCORDINGLY TO ENSURE THEIR SAFETY AND PROVIDE THEM WITH THE INDIVIDUAL EXPERIENCES THEY REQUEST AND HAVE COME TO EXPECT FROM OUR STAFF IN ONE OF THE SAFEST ENVIRONMENTS IN THE COUNTRY.
TO ISSUE ANY POSTS OR STATEMENTS AT THIS TIME WOULD BE PREMATURE, VERY IRRESPONSIBLE AND WITHOUT
ANY MERIT BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE ANY DEFINITE DIRECTION AT THIS TIME.
WE ONLY HAVE A SITUATION THAT IS ON THE VERGE OF PANIC;
SET ON BY THE MEDIA AND POLITICIANS TRYING TO GET PRESS FROM THE WHOLE THING.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT
LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU SOON
ALL THE BEST TO YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY

JERRY GOSS
(IHML OWNER)

Fortunately, we have several attorneys that are participants at the TTD (GTLen, JR3, my personal attorney, etc.). In summary this is what they have communicated to me:

It is possible that if we cancel the 2020 TTD event individuals that have reservations could lose all funds. “It’s up to the individuals to go, reschedule, or cancel regardless of whether the 2020 TTD takes place (from JR3- Attorney from AL)”.

What is the answer/ solution to the 2020 TTD:

1.Keep your reservation & go to the 2020 TTD at the IHML if they are open.
2.Call and cancel before your scheduled arrival date. At that time seriously consider rescheduling latter in 2020 pending availability or loose all funds. The reservation is still yours and can be utilized or sold.
3.Wait & see if the IHML is forced to close by the government or dose so on their own accord. This decision legally could require them to eventually give participants a refund. However, it is more likely that a rescheduled visit would be offered. Yes, we a closely monitoring this issue.

“Under these circumstances, while everyone must make their own choices, we suggest that the best course of action would be to wait to see wether the IHML will, itself, cancel or be forced by the law or otherwise cancel. If, as the date of the event approaches, the IHML continues both to have the right and intent to honor our reservations, one can cancel then in favor of a rescheduled visit at the IHMl during their 2020 season pending availability (from GTLen- Attorney from NY)”.

All Please Stay Safe & Healthy.
Best,
Doc:crying::crying:

#9 ·
The 2020 TTD is CANCELED!!!

IHML Management Has Changed their Cancellation Policy’s:

This is, IMHO, an equitable resolution. My advice is we cancel this year’s event. Those that wish to wait it out to the bitter end can make that weekend if it’s open. The remainder of the group can take their choice of sometime later in the season or get 100% credit applied to next year (2021). Thus option is available to all with April reservations this year, so applies to the LT group as well. I told the girl on the phone that this would likely save the event for them in future years. I want to tell the county commission that we’ve resolved this so IHML gets no further heat. Agreed?

I want to thank JR3 (Jim Ranson-Attorney from AL) who was instrumental in making this happen. Y’all owe him a big thanks. Jim was instrumental in getting Graham County & State Officials involved in our predicament.

So, my recommendation is to reschedule your reservations to 2021: 1st week in May (27th April to 2nd May). Fees payed for 2020 will be applied to 2021 event. Yes, I called to verify & confirm what has transgressed with Kristan. Yes, you can call & get your room/ reservation back if you have already rescheduled.

Best,

Doc 😀 😀​

#10 ·
When the LT event was canceled I didn't ask for a policy change on a refund. My thoughts were to leave the money in the IHML account to help pay the employees & cover expenses until this is over. This virus will have a major impact on Graham County that depends mostly on tourism for income. That is why I just moved my reservation to another date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.