Nolan N102 - Any users? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 11:39 am Thread Starter

Nolan N102 - Any users?

I'm thinking about a new helmet and the Nolan N102 looks like a good option. Is anyone using one of these now? I'm interested in comments on comfort, how well the ventilation works, is the built in sunshade really effective, and any issues installing intercom headsets.

Thanks!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 11:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

My wife and I both wear them. I've had mine for a few months; she's had hers for a week. It was the first full-face/modular helmet for both of us.

I had serious pain develop after 45 minutes of use. Removing the liner and shaving off some of the offending foam took care of the problem. Another sore spot has developed, now that the helmet fits closer to how it should on my fat head; a little tweaking of the foam will take care of it, I'm confident. I've gotten pretty good at removing and reinstalling the liner. It's not difficult.

I had Baehr headsets installed by a professional last week, but I haven't been able to use them yet as I'm having a problem with the intercom. This is unrelated to the helmets, just an FYI that I haven't actually been able to use the speakers and mic yet. I can say that the helmet seems to be optimized for speaker installation -- plenty of room.

We both like the modular concept. Hot in traffic? Flip it up. Want a drink, want to talk to the bike next to you? Flip it up. Flip it back down for maximum protection.

We both use the built-in sunshade. I find it very effective, and necessary, even with sunglasses.

My only complaint so far is ventilation. I've never actually felt any air get into the helmet, regardless of where I have the windshield. In fairness, this may be because I wear a Slik helmet liner. Maybe in cooler weather (or on a more-open bike) I'll feel the ventilation.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 11:58 am

Cool Nolan N100

I have the N100 and added the flip up visor as an option. At first, I loved the helmet. When I added the visor, I found the wind noise increased quite a bit. I use custom fitted ear plugs with built in speakers, so the noise doesn't bug me too much. When I don't use the earphone ear plugs, I notice that I have to turn the volume up a lot to hear the IPod. I have built in speakers that I added with no problems. They are part of my Chatterbox system. The fit is about the same for me as the HJC Symax. I find the helmet quieter than the HJC. The visor works great, but, with the tinted face shield and sunglasses, it's not necessary unless you are driving into the sun. I took the visor off for now. For the money, I would do it again. I also use the Cee Baileys -4" windshield, seat is in high position with an AirHawk and am 6'3, so I probably get more wind than most people. Where I found I liked the visor was on long rides, when it's overcast and I use the clear shield. Then I have sun glasses and can flip the visor down if it's too bright out. With the tinted shield, sunglasses and visor, I have trouble seeing my GPS screen. Hope this helps

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 1:22 pm

my wife has a nolan modular with the flip-up sunshade. we just got back from a trip to montana and she raved repeatedly about how nice the sunshade makes things. plus she never complained about discomfort so the helmet obviously fits her like a glove.

i prefer the HJC (also a modular) because the chin bar release is much easier to use and it is still comfortable.
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 6:24 pm

Smile

I just received and started wearing my N 102 and find it works well and is no more noisy than my HJC Symax helmet...The Screaming yellow color really stands out !! Came with an additional no fog shield at no cost.

The foam needed to be mashed in abit around the top of the ears but other than that it is fine. The half dark screen works better than I had expected.

The attachment mechanism works well and is faster than the d-ring assy.

Optic quality seems to be better than HJC face shield.

I got mine thru Dennis Kirk for the best deal I could find on the net.
$249 delivered.

Time well tell if it lasts as long as my HJC Symax did.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

post #6 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Thumbs up

My wife and I have both the N100 and the N102. The N102 is more comfortable for us and is a little quieter than the N100. The sun visor thingy is currently removed from mine but my wife likes to use it. I think the build quality is excellent as is the support. I have Autocom speakers and headsets in both models without issue.

I bought mine from www.imotorcycle.com.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 8:18 pm

Interesting:

http://jdpower.com/autos/ratings/mot...lmet/index.asp

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies; all good information. For those of you using the 102 regularly, do you feel the ventilation through the chin and top vents is good? That's one complaint I have about my current Shoei Syncrotec, and I'm looking for something that flows air better.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #9 of 10 Old Jun 10th, 2006, 4:10 pm

David,

I would say the N102 ventilation is a little better than the N100, but I have never found any helmet with adequate ventilation for me when the temp is above about 65 degrees, and I typically crack the visor open a little. The N102 has 3 or 4 shield positions, so it is prefect for me. On the ride here at Americade today it was 49 degrees with some showers so I had the shield completely closed and I was comfortable with the ventilation. I bought my wife a Gerbings jacket to wear so she would not freeze! (June 10th and a heated jacket?!)

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 10th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Love the features, but this is a very noisy helmet, in my opinion. It is also fairly heavy. I only use this on bikes that have full windshields. Much too noisy for use with my f650gs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in