What helmet? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

What helmet?

Well folks, coming off an HD here in OH, I never wore a helmet, but now its time. Im curious what people are wearing (Brand, style) on the LTs. Im leaning toward a shoei Synchrotech (sp?). Any thoughts/ideas/experiences with other models that I should consider?

TIA

F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 5:59 pm

I started my ride'n career in an HJC AC-10 - wore that thing plum out.

2nd Helmet was an HJC Symax

3rd Helmet was an HJC Symax

4th and current brain bucket is an HJC Symax

Once you go 'modular' you'll never go back

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 37 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 6:04 pm

Arai SZ-m 3/4 ...... Molded flip sheild is easy to use & helmet is VERY quiet and has 6 vents to let air circulate as you wish.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #4 of 37 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 6:26 pm

Shoie X-Eleven for me, RF1000 for my wife, we both like ours, I didn't care as much for the RF1000. Leaning towards an Arai RX7 Corsair for the next lid (plus Hopper and Nicky Hayden wear 'em), liked it very much when I slid it on. Would like to try on a AGV, guess it's a Rossi thing.

Cheers,
Phil & Jen
2003 LTC
Brooklyn, MI
post #5 of 37 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 6:39 pm

Shoei guy here also. Talked my Brother in-law in to a shoei RF1000 and he loves it after trying several others. Why didn't I listen to you before?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #6 of 37 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 6:59 pm

My last helmet was an HJC Symax. I wore it out so will be changing to my new (for me) helmet: an HJC Symax..

Imagine that !!!! Fits me the best of just about anything else.
post #7 of 37 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 7:04 pm

Suggesting a helmet is like suggesting underwear. It's just too subjective. David, you have to try on a whole slew before you'll know what's best for you.

Case and point, in this thread there are already two strong recommendations for an HJC Symax. My friend just sold her Symax for a Nolan N102E. She HATED that HJC! Does that make the Nolan a better helmet? No! It just means that the Nolan fits her better. Now go out there and find the helmet that fits you best.

Oh . . . and make sure it's a Nolan! D: Either the N100E or N102E...
post #8 of 37 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 7:35 pm

There several great helmets out there. Shoei and Arai are two of the most common high end helmets but they aren't the only ones worth considering. First decision is what style helmet you'd like. I have a standard full face Arai and a Jarrow (now called Caberg) flip style (also a new Shoei I haven't used yet). They are all great helmets with good and bad points. The flip ups are not as quiet as a good full face but they are really convenient, especially if you wear glasses. I use my flip up around town and the full face Arai on long trips when I want a quieter helmet. The next step is to actually try each helmet you are interested in. Not all helmets and heads are the same. In the past I couldn't stand the way a Shoei fit me while the Arai felt great. Others have had the opposite experience. The Shoei I have now (won it in a raffle) is one of their newer styles and actually fits me pretty good. In short, make sure it is a quality helmet and it comfortably fits your head.
post #9 of 37 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Shoei X-11 is a fairly quiet helmet w/ easy change out shields, seems a little narrow after you wear it a few hours, these things you can't tell in the showroom. Cycle Gear has the 30 day helmet exchange which gives you a good oppurtunity to field test the Arai Corsair has great ventilation and a good fit for me, but a tad noisier. The Shuberthh S1 is super quiet and very comfortable, but a little hot in high heat of summer. just my 2 cents
post #10 of 37 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 9:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Suggesting a helmet is like suggesting underwear. It's just too subjective.
Briefs! Thank you for asking...!
Sorry, just too tempting!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 37 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:09 pm

There is a web site that has reviews on different helmets. I might help with your decision. They talk about fit and other issues with the different helmets but it all boils down on how it fits you.

Be sure that it fits properly and is comfortable I have even walked around the store for at least half an hour wearing the different helmets. Because once you walk out of the store with it most businesses will not let you return it.

www.webbike.com

Rusty Snyder
post #12 of 37 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:10 pm

For what it's worth, we picked up Arai Signets. Two reasons, one they are a very good helmet, and two in 2001 at least you could get them to match the LT colors. It was special order, but there was no extra charge for it. Actually the wife's idea, "If we're going to spend this much on a bike, we are going to get helmets to match it." What can I say, I never argue with that kind of logic.

Rich P.

2001 Champagne

Rhinebeck, NY
post #13 of 37 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 11:52 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Thumbs up Nolan

I have a Nolan 100E and 102E. I really like the flip up front and they fit my pointed head nicely. The wife uses a 100E and it seems to fit. Her never says much - she just listens to the tunes...

The bummer is there are very few dealers that sell them. No profit margin. Order them from helmetshop.com

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #14 of 37 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 8:32 am

Greetings all.

I've been very happy with my Systems 4. Great ventilation when closed and if when you're in the mood, flip her up for an open face style as the weather warms up. The best of both worlds.

Kindest regards
Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #15 of 37 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 8:38 am

My wife and I are currently wearing Nolan N100's (modular) and really love them. I would try on several different makes to get the best fit.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #16 of 37 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 9:44 am

Had ARAI helmet and it was great but just switched over to Scorpion helmets. Great price, excellent air flow, no fog shield and looks nice. Great price too!
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #17 of 37 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 2:56 pm

If you have a big head you can't beat an Arai or a Shoei. I have both - one with speakers in the helmut and one without.
post #18 of 37 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 5:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have a summer, around town helmet, and a down the highway, winter flip helmet.

Bob, 00LT
post #19 of 37 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 5:45 pm

Smile Helmets

I had a Shoei RF 700 for six years and liked the helmet but wanted to try the flip up for ease rather than pull off my glasses etc at each gas stop etc. I agree with previous posts you must first find a helmet that best matches your head shape.

While I like the Shoei, I opted to buy the New Nolan Xlite 1002 flip up. The helmet seems somewhat louder than the shoei but then it has more surface seams. The one thing I noticed that after wearing the helmet for longer periods of time I developed a sore spot just at the top of my forehead and my wife noticed the same thing as well. Shoei is a better fit it seems for us. I removed the liner and and the hard shell had a formed pad at that point that put addtional pressure through the liner. I took my wifes bic razor and shaved the spot down on both helmets and it fits very good and is comfortable. I liked the looks of the Schuberth but cost and the effort to put in the intercom was a concern. T

The Nolan Xlite 1002 was easy to put the BMW system in although I may recess the speakers more for room as the fit is snug,but comfortable.
post #20 of 37 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:49 pm

Noise

Just got a couple of Arai Quantums to replace our old AGV Q3. I did not realize how noisy the LT is. I never understood the reason for ear plugs until this helmet. It is still quieter than the HJC that we have for relatives.

They don't build them like they used too.
post #21 of 37 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 9:06 am

Re: What helmet?

I literally wore out the lining on my Simpson Bandit over the last 15 years. Figured with the new bile it was time for a new helmet. Picked up a Bell Mag 8 and love the peripheral vision it afforded me although I feel somewhat nekkid without a full face. I will probably switch back to a modular as soon as I sort out the bluetooth comm set that I want. The SO will only wear a half-helmed due to her voluminous hair which upsets me to no end. That big head of blond hair might look pretty blowing in the wind but won't help a bit if we end up upended.
post #22 of 37 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 9:11 am

I wont' buy a helmet that I can't take in the shower with me, but I'm out in the sweaty west too

Shoei or Aria, mostly Aria (quantum, corsair, SZ-M, the best helmet on earth other than not being a full-cov)...

can't seem to get away from them no matter what I try on fit-wise but I do spend a lot of hours in the saddle so fit/comfort is #1 on the list.
post #23 of 37 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 9:18 am

My wife and I wear HJC SymaxII modulars. I wear glasses and the modular system allows me to put on/remove my helmet without taking off my glasses

They are a little noisier than a non-modular but the convenience WAY more than makr up for the noise.

The Shoei and Nolam modulars might be quieter bt in the endit doesn't matter as we have found that riding with foamy ear protectors make the ride extremely more comfortable.

Definitely consider modular.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #24 of 37 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 9:29 am

I'm not and HJC fan. I find there helmets to be low-end, but they're light and cheap.

Arai's make awesome helments. But wow they're pricey. Shoeii trails Arai in my opinion. They don't have the same quality as Arai, though a lot of people put them in the same category.

Now I use a Nolan modular, and I love it. I do have one complaint - it's a bit heavy. I'm 220lb, so it's not an issue for me, but for the misses - it might be an issue.

Schuberth is another great helmet - german made. But they're hard to find in the states, you prob have to get it off the net.
post #25 of 37 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 10:26 am

I own two Scorpions and love them both. I don't much care for modulars because compared to a solid full face, they are noisy. They fit ME great and the Scorpion ads make me think that I am hip and cool while grunting to get my leg over the seat!

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #26 of 37 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 1:23 pm

I use a Shoei modular helmet. For that type of helmet, The Shoei is the best. The HJC has very sensitive plastic parts that dont like to be bumped.
post #27 of 37 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Well folks, coming off an HD here in OH, I never wore a helmet, but now its time. Im curious what people are wearing (Brand, style) on the LTs. Im leaning toward a shoei Synchrotech (sp?). Any thoughts/ideas/experiences with other models that I should consider?

TIA

F
' Schubert Concept' works fine, comfortable and quiet.

[B[COLOR=Indigo]][COLOR=Green][FONT=Arial]
There are OLD PILOTS and there are BOLD PILOTS, but there are NO OLD BOLD PILOTS
post #28 of 37 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt
' Schubert Concept' works fine, comfortable and quiet.
Yep, but you can't get them on this side of the pond anymore.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #29 of 37 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 10:33 pm

I have glasses and a long head like the alien in "Alien" so my choices are limited.

I have an HJC modular that is noisy (don't use it anymore)

Shark Evoline - fits ok and very well made. The flip full face/open face is the kabomb.

Shoei Multitec - noisy but super comfy
post #30 of 37 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 11:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have an Arai Quantum that I love...it is definitely the quietest helmet I've ever owned. I also have a Nolan X-Lite 1002 for the convenience of the flip front. I usually wear it when travelling with the SO, who also has one.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #31 of 37 Old Jul 16th, 2009, 1:15 pm

I have a silver one...........

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #32 of 37 Old Jul 16th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
I have a silver one...........
Me to

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #33 of 37 Old Jul 16th, 2009, 8:15 pm

I've owned Simpson, Arai and Shoei over the last 10 years. The Shoei X-11 has the best airflow of any helmet I've ever worn. Some say it's a little noisy but with a full fairing it's not an issue with me. For the last year I've worn a Shoei Multi-Tec and have been very happy. Both are extremely comfortable and the shield system is super easy to use. Several weeks ago I bought a Shark Evoline modular helmet. It's really the only helmet out there that converts from full face to 3/4 by design. Worth looking at if that sorta thing is important to you. If my Multi-Tec could convert like my Shark it would be my ultimate helmet. Unfortunately it doesn't so the Multi-Tec is relegated to second string in my line-up behind the Shark.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #34 of 37 Old Jul 16th, 2009, 10:07 pm

Jiano for me and its SILVER too

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #35 of 37 Old Jul 16th, 2009, 10:09 pm

is it me or is this thread old? new glasses for me!

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #36 of 37 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 5:10 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Schubert's J1 for Summer and a older Nolan for Winter.

Plenty of UK shippers out there for the J1.

The J1 is the quietest helmet I have worn. Only Snell approved though, not DOT. I don't care and have ridden in many States with it, been pulled over with it on, and it was never questioned. The clear and HUGE line of sight with it is amazing. Bluetooth installed and it is a jewel.

The Nolan is getting a bit long in the tooth so I will be looking at another Flip, hopefully a Nolan but I will try others on.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #37 of 37 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 12:54 pm

Interesting, the J1 looks like the basis for the helmet Sylvester Stallone wore in Judge Dredd.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in